Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im in the first month of a 12-month ABSN program and jesus fuvking hell

Hey me too. You trying to work some throughout or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hobbez posted:

I have an occasional gig doing event EMS but it’s all by signup so I can take it or leave it. I figured I’d take one day a month or so, since there’s no ED clinical in our program. That’s it though, and just to keep that relationship open and on my resume; not for money.

I’m on that fafsa and food stamps gravy train baby. makin it rain rice beans and frozen veggies

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 17, 2019

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_...ign=hp_fb_pages

:cry:

One more reason to let your vegetative state loved ones go to heaven.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Does HIPAA prevent video surveillance of vulnerable adults? If I had a family member unable to care for themselves I’d be wanting it in light of... recent events

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
As long as cameras aren’t recording. We had cameras in my first Neuro ICU gig and I miss that. Even had a switch to turn them off so if they were intact or they were getting washed up they could intact their privacy. Prevented so many falls. Also caught so many couples trying to sneak a quickie in.

Risky
May 18, 2003

hobbez posted:

I'm dropping down to prn in March when I start my BSN program. I need a break any after two years full-time on a heavy floor.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just took the NCLEX, cut off after 75. I'm just salty that I've got a Girl Scout thing tonight so I can't go out drinking til that's over

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Marchegiana posted:

Just took the NCLEX, cut off after 75. I'm just salty that I've got a Girl Scout thing tonight so I can't go out drinking til that's over

I made my best friend book off the day after my nclex in anticipation.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Risky posted:

I'm dropping down to prn in March when I start my BSN program. I need a break any after two years full-time on a heavy floor.

Does the place you work at not offer tuition reimbursement? And if you’re doing an online program it really isn’t that intense. I’m still mad at how dumb the RN to BSN curriculum is and how much it costs.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Etrips posted:

Does the place you work at not offer tuition reimbursement? And if you’re doing an online program it really isn’t that intense. I’m still mad at how dumb the RN to BSN curriculum is and how much it costs.

I agree with this. When you look at the curriculum between an ADN and BSN it's honestly no where near the 18 months or whatever they state it takes to get a bachelors degree. It doesn't help that Magnet status and the requirement for any sort of upward leadership/management mobility in the ranks of nursing requires a bachelors degree, thus allowing for these online schools to gouge students (again, possibly).

Risky
May 18, 2003

Etrips posted:

The only schools my hospital (HCA) reimburse are the few private overpriced ones that are under their banner. I'm going back to the state college I did my RN transition at for the BSN program which is already cheaper than private school. Besides, I actually need a break (burn out) from my job so this is the perfect excuse.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nice and hot piss posted:

I agree with this. When you look at the curriculum between an ADN and BSN it's honestly no where near the 18 months or whatever they state it takes to get a bachelors degree. It doesn't help that Magnet status and the requirement for any sort of upward leadership/management mobility in the ranks of nursing requires a bachelors degree, thus allowing for these online schools to gouge students (again, possibly).

It’s been ten years since I got my BSN but if I remember correctly the only real difference in the curriculum was a community health and a management course.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Do ASNs do research classes? I thought that was the big difference?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
ASN learn to focus on meat and potatoes if you will. Also care plans hahahahaha. BSN you get to learn to BS your way writing APA formatted papers and a Capstone Project for wherever you are working.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

It’s been ten years since I got my BSN but if I remember correctly the only real difference in the curriculum was a community health and a management course.

That and a research course or two.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My teachers were not terrible happy when I wrote one of my first papers on the lack of strong unconfounded evidence to differentiate ADNs from BSNs.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

awkward_turtle posted:

My teachers were not terrible happy when I wrote one of my first papers on the lack of strong unconfounded evidence to differentiate ADNs from BSNs.

I love it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well i did my first pericare and brief change today in clinicals and was unfazed, to my relief. the clear gratitude in the patient’s voice + not having been the least bit grossed out by wiping poop off another dude’s rear end and balls were both pretty great affirmations that I’m on a good path for myself.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Now just wait until you dig poo poo out of another dude's rear end with your crooked finger, and you will be well on your way to mastery of the profession. It's the only skill you need really in order to be successful.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Disimpacting is an artform and I'm DaVinci.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I've gone eight years and manged to pawn off disimpacting every time. Never done it.

I trade my buddy who does it for me with my skill of being able to stand canthotomies, eyeball trauma and clipping and cleaning nails.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

I've gone eight years and manged to pawn off disimpacting every time. Never done it.

I trade my buddy who does it for me with my skill of being able to stand canthotomies, eyeball trauma and clipping and cleaning nails.

gently caress eye trauma.

The aspect of emergency medicine that makes me "nope gently caress this" every time

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I had a patient recently that was to donate their eyes after passing. I missed the chance to see them harvested. :(

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

god drat i am getting my rear end whypped but good. if I make it out of this class block alive and still in my cohort i’m going to kiss the loving ground and make some serious changes to my study habits. i’ve been making this a lot harder on myself than it needs to be. getting poo poo done ahead of time and getting up earlier than i need to would make like 50% of my problems evaporate. oof.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’ll tell you the same thing I told my classmates that constantly complained about me doing better them in class - listen to the teacher and take written notes, specifically what they are covering during the lecture. Before you go to bed that night, read over your notes. Read them over again before the test.

I don’t know what it is about doing that got the info to stick in my head. It really helped me though.

Also, stick with your first thought on tests - don’t change your mind!

Good luck!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

is there not a single goddamn brick and mortar store in the united states that still sells cheap quartz watches? I lost my scrub watch and i'd like to not wait a week to get one from amazon nor blow $100 because my room's a mess

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well I’m finally ready to re-apply for nursing school again starting after my upcoming deployment so sometime in 2020 - I’m looking at a few programs-

UCONNs ABSN- pros free for veterans

cons have to live in CT(but I can commute to NYC and work part time and use the metro north railroad)

Thomas Edison ABSN-pros asynchronous class time except for clinical

cons have to drive to trenton and/or go part time and use the GI Bill instead of the CT free veterans benefit

Bergen CC pros can use Army tuition assistance/ near where I work/live currently

Cons I know the dean because I left her old nursing school when it closed and she was a clinical advisor/preceptor of mine so she might not let me in- didn’t get a chance to repeat medsurg 1 because the school closed

With a goal timeframe of starting august 2020 I was looking at taking some graduate courses in public health(or intelligence studies) does anyone think that would help? I figured if I had a few graduate courses of public health it could only help me. I can take one or two online while I’m overseas and feel it out. If I can’t be a nurse I want to work as an epidemiologist or clinical research organizer/assistant

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Hi I'm a dumb idiot from Canada.

What's the deal with nursing in the USA? My impression is that you guys have RNs with associate degrees (thats two years of college?) and BScN RNs (four years). What's the wage difference?
I'm a BScN RN, which is the default RN here (there is also RPNs, which would be your LPN equivalent), I wrote the NCLEX some time ago. It's possible for me to have an American passport in the future, so I was just curious about which states are good for RNs to work in, which states to avoid, etc.
I currently work at a big research hospital on the nursing resource team, which means I float around to every unit and have a pretty broad range of skills.

computer angel fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 1, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wage difference varies by hospital/system, but it usually isn't that much.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Ravenfood posted:

..., but it usually isn't that much.

the opposite, actually

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Roki B posted:

the opposite, actually

Huh. Weird, both systems I've been at have given something like 50 cents an hour for variance, and I hadn't heard of too many places offering that much more from travelers. Might just be looking in the wrong places.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
If you're coming from Canada, keep in mind that the majority of hospitals in the US are non-union, and that (often, not always) makes a big difference in a lot of things from patient ratios to wage rates to working conditions.

The university hospital I have done most of my clinical in is something like +$4/hour for BSN over ADN (though they barely hire ADNs anymore), and then another +$4/hour for MSN over BSN. It is a union hospital, and the other union hospitals in the city have similar, if slightly smaller differentials.

A lot of the non-union hospitals in the city have much smaller or nonexistent differences in wage rates between RN/BSN/MSN, and the hospital back in the sticks where I grew up had like $.50 differentials last I heard before my mother retired as an RT.

Essentially, it'll depend, and there's probably more variance in wages in general across the US than there is in Canada given the mechanics of our healthcare system. Just as a example - level 1 (entry) prevailing wage (not differentiating between degree levels for anyone working as a RN) in LA is $31.49 hour or $65,499 year, and in NYC it's $32.72 hour or $68,058 year. As I understand it, both of those cities have relatively strong nursing union presences. In Boise, Idaho, it's $24.97 hour or $51,938 year, and in NW Mississippi, it's $21.76 hour - $45,261 year. Both of those places are more rural and likely do not have strong union presence. Splitting the difference a bit, in Washington DC, it's $28.59 hour or $59,467 year. Speaking in general terms, wages will rise as cost of living rises, but in some rural places here in the states (as in Canada, from what I hear) you can make relative bank as a nurse compared to cost of living.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

California's the only state with mandatory minimum ratios, all the others leave it up to management for some incomprehensible reason.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I appreciate the answers so far. The starting wage for my union hospital is $33 CDN. I've been on med-surg units with 3-1 on days and 5-1 on nights, up to 5-1 on days and 7-1 on nights. We don't usually have too many PSWs around to help out.

I always wondered... Do you guys have to keep track of everything you take out of the supply room?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

computer angel posted:

I always wondered... Do you guys have to keep track of everything you take out of the supply room?

Nope, the EMR figures it out.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Depends on where you work. At my old hospital there was a scan wand where you had to charge each individual item to the patient you were taking it for. It was very tedious and often times we would be too busy or need something too urgently to bother standing there wanding every little thing. Every month we’d get a nasty mass email about the tens of thousands of dollars that we were costing our unit by not using the par system.

At my new hospital all patients are charged a flat daily room rate which, spread across patients who hardly use any supplies and patients who use a ton, apparently covers the issue of supply cost (and probably brings in a profit). We don’t individually charge for anything that comes stocked in our supply rooms, which is pretty much everything. Just grab what we need and go.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
The only place I've had to do anything remotely like that was when I was in clinical in a literal jail, and then you went to the supply room, where all the supplies you needed were given to you over a counter and logged by a supply clerk of some sort. Every hospital I've clinicaled in has been like Koivunen's latter explanation - just grab what you need. I can't imagine having to scan every little thing you take from supply.

All the meds, of course, in all places I've worked, are linked to the pts in the pyxis/omnicell, so they're logged there when you remove them, and then they're rechecked when you scan them before administration (while I'm sure this is a billing thing from the hospital side, I'm fine with it as a pt safety thing). Whether some supplies are linked to certain meds I have no idea, idgaf about billing, I'm not in this to make the hospital money.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My hospital also uses the par system with the scan wand, but they have things color coded and we're only required to scan things with a certain color tag. So anything involved in a procedure (i.e. billable) like a suture removal kit or catheter we're supposed to use the wand, but basic stuff like IV fluid bags, patient comfort items, and the like they encourage us to scan just for restocking purposes but of course if it's not required no one does it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Our par hasn't worked in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014
I found out over the last week that I was supposed to be pulling a sticker off certain things in the supply room so the patient (rather than the unit) would be charged. I feel like I missed so many things in my preceptorship. I didn’t know and I wasn’t shown so I’m learning now.
I feel like I have a good unofficial mentor though.
There’s a lot I feel like I’ve forgotten since I graduated just because I don’t see things like chest tubes a lot on the Neuro floor. How do you all keep up? Or do you?

Re: Feces. I almost had to disimpact a patient but I got around it. I went so many years without giving enemas and suppositories and now I’ve had my fingers in so many butts (and it hasn’t bothered me like I thought. Except the bleeding hemorrhoid lady). So far not my husband’s, but I’m sure I will at some point.

Also: I get to be charge nurse next weekend. I’m nervous as gently caress.