Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know these games usually invite custom challenges. Nuzlocke, monotype runs, etc, but I think this is the first time I'm baffled at one of those. Imagine the absurd amount of time spent on the gimmick of catching every single mon in a ball with the lowest possible catch rate. More power to you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's a really cool ball

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It was even more absurd in Sun/Moon because you could only get more than one Beast Ball by asking Looker for another after your inventory was empty, so you had to constantly give pokemon one to hold, ask him for another, put them in a box, grab another 6 out, rinse, repeat.

Now you can just buy them!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

I know these games usually invite custom challenges. Nuzlocke, monotype runs, etc, but I think this is the first time I'm baffled at one of those. Imagine the absurd amount of time spent on the gimmick of catching every single mon in a ball with the lowest possible catch rate. More power to you, though.

I mean, you can breed out a fair amount of this by planning out your egg groups properly IIRC, but yeah, it's crazy. I get it though, after all

Expect My Mom posted:

It's a really cool ball

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Saoshyant posted:

Pokemon pass down their pokeball type to their offspring, so you can use breeding to get most pokemon in beast balls without catching them in one. Still have to catch genderless and male-only mons though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The only time males pass down their pokeball is if they are bred with a ditto or a female of the same species, so you have to catch at least one pokemon from every evolutionary line.

Also for even more masochism, every UB was caught in a premier ball instead of a BB.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Wasn’t it Pachirisu?

Seijun Park won with a Pachi in 2014. Probably the most dramatic moment in VGC history.

Wolfy used an Assault Vest Raichu in 2016

It was a pretty badass strategy. He used Volt Switch and an eject button Hitmontop to repeatedly abuse fake out

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

It does sound awful, but the whole idea behind those ideas is that its supposed to paint a picture that living in the Pokémon World isn't supposed to be "sunshine and rainbows" or even "fair". Also there's a reason why they've never left the early drafts or why the series has only gotten "more fair" towards Ash (At the beginning of the series, he was often berated for either making dumb decisions or even for things that weren't his fault).

Also yeah that sort of poo poo wouldn't fly today but it was Japan in the mid-90s when the ideas were first hashed out. Heck, even Brock's characterization of hitting on any pretty woman they group comes across would be considered creepy or downright offensive today, but it gets a pass because that's become one of his most defining character traits in the anime.

It makes the series sound kind of post apocalyptic with no explanation as to why. Like a lot of this social structure that was planned for the pokemon world is just bizarre with no basis. Why are 10 year olds adults? And why has half the population basically up and gone "welp gently caress my wife and kids I gotta grind this magikarp to greatness." I don't have a problem with a darker tone I have problem it doesn't seem well thought out. Sun and Moon did a much better job showing what happens when you're not a great battler and society leaves you behind not to mention lovely parenting. Homelessness and child abuse aren't sunshine and rainbows but they conveyed it well. And yeah anime has some...issues...sometimes.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Scholtz posted:

Also for even more masochism, every UB was caught in a premier ball instead of a BB.

That doesn't sound too awful when all other balls apart from the Master Ball are just as effective as regular Pokéballs on Ultra Beasts. Since premier balls are just regular balls but colored white, it's just as effective on them as they are on any other Pokémon. Not to mention that Ultra Beasts have catch rates that are similar to regular Pokémon (ranging from as low as 15 with Guzzlord in Sun and Moon to as high as 255 for Pheromosa and Kartana). They have a flat rate of 45 in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon though.

Flopsy posted:

It makes the series sound kind of post apocalyptic with no explanation as to why. Like a lot of this social structure that was planned for the pokemon world is just bizarre with no basis. Why are 10 year olds adults? And why has half the population basically up and gone "welp gently caress my wife and kids I gotta grind this magikarp to greatness." I don't have a problem with a darker tone I have problem it doesn't seem well thought out. Sun and Moon did a much better job showing what happens when you're not a great battler and society leaves you behind not to mention lovely parenting. Homelessness and child abuse aren't sunshine and rainbows but they conveyed it well. And yeah anime has some...issues...sometimes.

My guess is that it was a way to inject some depth to what is essentially an adaptation designed to sell merchandise. Also the post apocalyptic angle isn't too far off since some of the original drafts do allude to the idea that "There used to be ordinary animals, but then one day Pokémon appeared and took over the ecosystem and drove them to extinction". They are bizarre ideas now, but this was well before all the world building that occurred in the franchise happened.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 17, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Scholtz posted:

The only time males pass down their pokeball is if they are bred with a ditto or a female of the same species, so you have to catch at least one pokemon from every evolutionary line.

As of gen 7, when two pokemon of the same species breed, their offspring has an equal chance of inheriting either parent’s pokeball.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 17, 2019

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ariong posted:

As of gen 7, when two pokemon of the same species breed, their offspring has an equal chance of inheriting either parent’s pokeball.

I think we're saying the same thing?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1107212557218045952

i gotta catch up

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

That doesn't sound too awful when all other balls apart from the Master Ball are just as effective as regular Pokéballs on Ultra Beasts. Since premier balls are just regular balls but colored white, it's just as effective on them as they are on any other Pokémon. Not to mention that Ultra Beasts have catch rates that are similar to regular Pokémon (ranging from as low as 15 with Guzzlord in Sun and Moon to as high as 255 for Pheromosa and Kartana). They have a flat rate of 45 in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon though.

My guess is that it was a way to inject some depth to what is essentially an adaptation designed to sell merchandise. Also the post apocalyptic angle isn't too far off since some of the original drafts do allude to the idea that "There used to be ordinary animals, but then one day Pokémon appeared and took over the ecosystem and drove them to extinction". They are bizarre ideas now, but this was well before all the world building that occurred in the franchise happened.

Good point. A lot of cartoons in the 80's and 90's did that a lot come to think of it. Most of the time the plot was on pretty shaky ground because they were basically winging it. And I won't lie, it sounds intriguing they were entertaining a mass extinction event plot point. But because it didn't come to fruition it left a lot of other stuff just seemingly weird for weirdness sake. Fun fact: a lot of this has already been entertained and explored in dark "what if" fan fiction and the more I think about it the more I'd take some bizarre mad max pokemon anime over what we got in the long run. If only because it at least sounds entertaining if not balls out insane.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Zuzie posted:

Also yeah that sort of poo poo wouldn't fly today but it was Japan in the mid-90s when the ideas were first hashed out. Heck, even Brock's characterization of hitting on any pretty woman they group comes across would be considered creepy or downright offensive today, but it gets a pass because that's become one of his most defining character traits in the anime.

I’ll get you, Pokémon!
Even if it’s in the fire, in the water, in the grass, in the forests,
In the ground, in the clouds, In that girl’s skirt
(sound of girl screaming)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Avalerion posted:

This one would make sense, honestly.

Nice av. Is it new?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did that Gyrados just explode after it fell off a cliff?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is Guzma being abused because of the bent golf clubs in his house? I figured that's because he bent them each time he lost rather than cause he got beat with them, though I could see how the other read would fit with everything else around him, huh.

Nth Doctor posted:

Nice av. Is it new?

Thanks, yea. Keeping the forum alive and stuff.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Flopsy posted:

Good point. A lot of cartoons in the 80's and 90's did that a lot come to think of it. Most of the time the plot was on pretty shaky ground because they were basically winging it. And I won't lie, it sounds intriguing they were entertaining a mass extinction event plot point. But because it didn't come to fruition it left a lot of other stuff just seemingly weird for weirdness sake. Fun fact: a lot of this has already been entertained and explored in dark "what if" fan fiction and the more I think about it the more I'd take some bizarre mad max pokemon anime over what we got in the long run. If only because it at least sounds entertaining if not balls out insane.

Don't want to be the killjoy who points out the meta reason for things, but the real reason probably doesn't go much farther than the fact 10 year olds want to watch 10 year olds having fun adventures and don't want to see boring adults get in the way. Every 10 year old wishes they had the cool parent who let them run off to fight doomsday cults and train monsters and pokemon lets them.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Avalerion posted:

Is Guzma being abused because of the bent golf clubs in his house? I figured that's because he bent them each time he lost rather than cause he got beat with them, though I could see how the other read would fit with everything else around him, huh.
Also what his dad says about beating and then being beat in the end.

Avalerion posted:

Thanks, yea. Keeping the forum alive and stuff.
:hfive: I need to make my donation.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I also read (present tense) the golf clubs as Guzma's doing, which requires his dad's words to be about a verbal beatdown or something.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Avalerion posted:

His dad also says "I tried setting him straight, but I ended up the one to get beat." and the Japanese text explicitly refers to "beat" in a physical sense.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gruckles posted:

His dad also says "I tried setting him straight, but I ended up the one to get beat." and the Japanese text explicitly refers to "beat" in a physical sense.

That's interesting. German one says "tried to talk sense into him but he beat me... in a pokemon battle that is". Germans are weird about censorship though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Random side observation: I started playing Let's Go Eevee in earnest this last week and I think this game is going to break me. I still avoid tall grass if I'm not trying to catch anything, but that instinct is being whittled away slowly. I think when Sword/Shield come out I'm going to be sprinting through tall grass like a careless idiot and utterly shocked when I battle every british-ratatta between here and jolly London-town.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Don't want to be the killjoy who points out the meta reason for things, but the real reason probably doesn't go much farther than the fact 10 year olds want to watch 10 year olds having fun adventures and don't want to see boring adults get in the way. Every 10 year old wishes they had the cool parent who let them run off to fight doomsday cults and train monsters and pokemon lets them.

Oh without a doubt. My issue was mainly the whole specifying age of consent poo poo. Like why was that included is what I want to know. Does a 10 year need to be assured loving a 29 year old would be legit? Then again it got left on the cutting room floor for a reason.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Flopsy posted:

You absolute madman. I love it.

I have a hell of a time coming up with insane but nearly workable sets. I had a Gravity Mega Metagross team which took many people off guard. Some people see that as a waste of a Metagross, but perfect accuracy on a lot of really powerful moves is no joke.

edit: whoa, this article might corroborate some of the beta Gold stuff considering Lugia is conspicuously absent:

quote:

The producers of the movie had trouble deciding which pokemon would be the main stars. Mew and Mewtwo had already been used in the first movie and Ho-Oh had been rumored to appear in some temple somewhere in the Gold & Silver games so the only legendary pokemon left for them to use were the legendary bird trio Fire, Freezer, and Thunder. Screenplay writer Shudou Takeshi asked the game designers if he could create a new pokemon to act as a fourth legendary who represents the deep sea currents and, much to his surprise, they said yes. Shudou Takeshi doesn't actually state on his blog that he was the one who designed or even named the pokemon but it seems like the overall idea of "legendary pokemon who represents the sea" did come from him.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 17, 2019

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It always annoyed me to no end how Lugia, a Plesiosaur monster who lives at the bottom of the sea, is a counterpart to the Fire type Ho-Oh, and is the ruler of the currents, is Flying type instead of Water.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oi! does anyone here have any suggestions for how to run a seismitoad? The thicc boi's stats are all over the place and I'm unsure on what would be the best set for him.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Oi! does anyone here have any suggestions for how to run a seismitoad? The thicc boi's stats are all over the place and I'm unsure on what would be the best set for him.

Use him for setups - stealth rock and toxic should be two of your main moves. Make sure he's got the Water Absorb ability, and give him scald and like... protect? Earthquake if he can use it? Just make absolutely sure you're feeding him berries and scratching his belly and telling him he's a good friend and pal whenever you can.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Whalley posted:

Use him for setups - stealth rock and toxic should be two of your main moves. Make sure he's got the Water Absorb ability, and give him scald and like... protect? Earthquake if he can use it? Just make absolutely sure you're feeding him berries and scratching his belly and telling him he's a good friend and pal whenever you can.

Yeah, I was definitely looking at him as set up runner and I do have a tympole with water absorb. See I'm planning on making an offensive team called my three frogs and he's gonna bring those sick backup beats. What nature y'think I should go with here? Bold?

edit: And of course he's getting only the finest pettings and chin scratches. That's an imperative.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bold toad best toad.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Whalley posted:

Bold toad best toad.

Gotcha so bold nature with water absorb. how's this for a moveset?

Stealth rock

toxic

Scald

Earth power

Maybe give em' some leftovers to hold?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Gotcha so bold nature with water absorb. how's this for a moveset?

Stealth rock

toxic

Scald

Earth power

Maybe give em' some leftovers to hold?

This sounds all good to me. You get stab from both your damage dealers, you've got stealth rock in place to gently caress up folks who switch out from the toxic.

I tend to stick leftovers and protect on anything with a bit of defense that drops toxic, mostly to try and keep people getting hosed up as long as possible. If you're keeping Toxic on the dude, it might be worthwhile to drop Scald for protect if that style floats your boat? You can't poison and burn at the same time, and iirc earth power does more damage than scald.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Whalley posted:

This sounds all good to me. You get stab from both your damage dealers, you've got stealth rock in place to gently caress up folks who switch out from the toxic.

I tend to stick leftovers and protect on anything with a bit of defense that drops toxic, mostly to try and keep people getting hosed up as long as possible. If you're keeping Toxic on the dude, it might be worthwhile to drop Scald for protect if that style floats your boat? You can't poison and burn at the same time, and iirc earth power does more damage than scald.

Glad to hear it. I'd maybe consider dropping toxic for protect just because I like have both STAB damage dealers in place. But all in all this looks really solid. Thank you so much for the help! XD

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of stuff with early Pokemon is best kept in mind with writers working with an unfinished setting and making some odd extrapolations from it, probably having never actually played the games.

You still get some of that these days, like apparently Mewtwo's attacks in Smash Ultimate are classified as 'fire'.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what would you classify them as

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

galagazombie posted:

It always annoyed me to no end how Lugia, a Plesiosaur monster who lives at the bottom of the sea, is a counterpart to the Fire type Ho-Oh, and is the ruler of the currents, is Flying type instead of Water.

I won five bucks in a bet with a guy at a Lugia Raid in Pokemon Go for getting Lugia's typing right. Dude insisted Lugia is water type. We argued back and forth a few times when I finally said dude I will bet you 5 bucks he's flying psychic. Dude says sure, taps his phone a bit, and I hear a dejected "Oh, poo poo..." a few seconds later. Pay up, bitch. :smug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i know lugia is flying psychic but i still think he's water type sometimes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

what would you classify them as

Uh, psychic. The type's in the game but only used by Ness and Lucas for some reason.

The White Dragon posted:

i know lugia is flying psychic but i still think he's water type sometimes

I don't but to this day I don't get why Lugia is Psychic and not Water.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It was revealed in an interview around the release of HGSS:

Shigeki Morimoto posted:

To start, the first type was decided to be Flying-type since Lugia have wings. At the time Psychic-type was the symbol of powerful Pokemon. As we wanted Lugia to give the impression of being a powerful Pokemon, we settled on Psychic-type for the second type, instead of Water-type.

In short, the reason why Lugia is not a Water-type despite being underwater, is due to its Flying-type-like appearance, and Psychic-type being the symbol of a powerful Pokemon.

Legendary duos represent opposite concepts, for example Groudon and Kyogre represent land and water, while Dialga and Palkia represent time and space. In the case of Ho-oh and Lugia, although they do not have a direct connection in the story, we imagine that they represent the sun and the moon, day and night, yin and yang (positive and negative), bottom of the sea and the sky, above and below.

Ho-oh and Lugia were born in the world of Pokemon Gold and Silver, for the new feature, time system, gave us day and night cycle. Thus, they represent the sun and the moon, day and night.

They definitely lean into Lugia being a Flying type, with Aeroblast, whereas Ho-oh has Sacred Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of stuff with early Pokemon is best kept in mind with writers working with an unfinished setting and making some odd extrapolations from it, probably having never actually played the games.

You still get some of that these days, like apparently Mewtwo's attacks in Smash Ultimate are classified as 'fire'.

I haven't played Ultimate enough to really know, but I remember from Melee that Mewtwo's psychic attacks used a purple-tinted version of the fire particle effects, the same as some of Ganondorf's moves. I'd believe it if Mewtwo's attacks were enhanced by fire-enhancing spirits in the World of Light adventure mode, since there isn't a category for shadow-fire like what Mewtwo and Ganondorf use, but I don't think it's meant that Mewtwo literally attacks with fire.