Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

VJeff posted:

lol was the story Punk doing that on purpose or was it an accident?

it was a pretty clever angle. The New Breed guys were all upstart heels and they figured Punk was upstart as well but he had other plans. So he kept loving off in various ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VJeff posted:

lol was the story Punk doing that on purpose or was it an accident?

On purpose. He was an extraordinarily sarcastic "convert" to the New Breed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember they had that New Breed/Originals match at Wrestlemania that was a real let-down, then like the next week on ECW they got given time and had an absolutely loving incredible match?

Edit: Might be the one Angry_Ed is talking about?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Some of the New Breed had a bit of potential. I thought maybe on the b-show under Heyman, Kevin Thorn might actually get groomed into something and used effectively. Cool music, good look and Shelly Martinez as a valet.

Elijah Burke seemed like he could have done a lot better as well.

Also the brief Marcus Cor Von, aka Monty Brown, run. How has nobody in this generation been doing 'The Pounce' as a move?

edit: Man, I remember having that John Morrison avatar for a few years too. Another guy they dropped the ball on.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 17, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Some of the New Breed had a bit of potential. I thought maybe on the b-show under Heyman, Kevin Thorn might actually get groomed into something and used effectively. Cool music, good look and Shelly Martinez as a valet.

Also the brief Marcus Cor Von, aka Monty Brown, run. How has nobody in this generation been doing 'The Pounce' as a move?

Keith Lee does it

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah it was all atrocious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was often the best WWE show in any given week!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
At a push and even then, that was in a very very awful period all together.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was fun for a while and that's all I wanted out of a one-hour wrestling show, and if it came back tomorrow with even half that same roster I'd finally like something about the modern company and the main roster

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PaybackJack posted:

Elijah Burke seemed like he could have done a lot better as well.

edit: Man, I remember having that John Morrison avatar for a few years too. Another guy they dropped the ball on.

Lance Archer has a pretty good Pounce.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
It's a Fastlanemas miracle: Sidewalk Slam for Fastlane 2019, much earlier than expected!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
WWECW had it's fun moments, but hasn't really aged well in a world where NXT exists.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
If anyone hasn't listened to the WOR with Mike Tenay on the Destroyer, you need to listen to it. Absolutely incredible audio.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

PaybackJack posted:

Cool music, good look

[citation needed]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

WWECW had it's fun moments, but hasn't really aged well in a world where NXT exists.

Oh yeah, NXT is by far the superior show. Which is ironic because I was one of those pissed when ECW on Scifi first got replaced by NXT even with Daniel Bryan in the show, and it ended up morphing into something beautiful.

sleep with the vicious posted:

If anyone hasn't listened to the WOR with Mike Tenay on the Destroyer, you need to listen to it. Absolutely incredible audio.

:hai:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Monty Brown was too good for this world and way too good for wwecw (whose birth was near simultaneous with wrestlehut's)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Monty Brown was too good for this world and way too good for wwecw (whose birth was near simultaneous with wrestlehut's)

I mean he didn't die or anything, just had to go be The Bernie Mac Show in real life.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm laughing at that extended segment on WOR with Garrett and Dave complaining about voters letting Becky win Women's MVP.

People like Becky, let it go, dude.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm laughing at that extended segment on WOR with Garrett and Dave complaining about voters letting Becky win Women's MVP.

the fans that are already there do like her yeah. the most valuable player though is still ronda because without her they probably don't get the fox television deal. ronda does fail just as bad as becky when it comes to moving ratings though so there's probably a good amount of doubt there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every mvp award in every sport is just "the best one" instead of most valuable. They should have called it something else if they didn't want that to happen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

halls of fame should be called halls of merit

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the fans that are already there do like her yeah. the most valuable player though is still ronda because without her they probably don't get the fox television deal. ronda does fail just as bad as becky when it comes to moving ratings though so there's probably a good amount of doubt there.

Star or no star, no one in WWE today is going to change the fact that they are not writing tv that is compelling enough to want to watch for three hours. Say what you will about the poo poo surrounding Steve Austin's mega run, the show felt must watch because you never knew when something would happen, Austin could do anything, at any time, to anyone. Now, you know when the star will be there and you know nothing important is going to happen between those times. They program it in such a way that you can skip large portions of the show.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
My word, what did we do?

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1107506821965770752

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cavauro posted:

every mvp award in every sport is just "the best one" instead of most valuable. They should have called it something else if they didn't want that to happen

I’m not sure what you call it to avoid the exact same result.

Besides I mostly found it funny because it’s not like it’s a totally indefensible result anyways. Becky is and was legitimately the most popular women’s wrestler and at for at least part of 2018 was literally the most popular wrestler in WWE.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I don’t know how true that even is. They got a lot of money because they’ve got significantly better numbers in the right demos than what Fox is airing right now, most of which actually costs a lot to make in house.

This past Tuesday’s Smackdown pulled the following demo ratings:

18-49: 0.71

18-34: 0.50

In comparison, here’s how Fox programming did this past Friday.

18-49: 0.60

18-34: 0.28

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 18, 2019

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Tuesday is a much better day for TV than friday.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah I mean “Most valuable” just basically boils down to “drew the most money” and isn’t that kind of...outside of the realm of voting?

It’s like voting on which iPhone made Apple the most money in 2018. You can google that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah I mean “Most valuable” just basically boils down to “drew the most money” and isn’t that kind of...outside of the realm of voting?

It’s like voting on which iPhone made Apple the most money in 2018. You can google that.

From the way I've interpreted from Dave talking about it a long time (this award almost never goes where he thinks it should), is that the wiggle room is which person did their company the most good, while also being that company's biggest draw.

So I guess it would be like, if Christian would've won it over Cena that first year Christian was in TNA, because Christian meant the world to TNA, and was their biggest draw, and the WWE would've been better able to sustain the loss of Cena that year, despite him being their biggest draw.

I . . . don't think that's the best example but I'm having trouble coming up with one.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Rick posted:

From the way I've interpreted from Dave talking about it a long time (this award almost never goes where he thinks it should), is that the wiggle room is which person did their company the most good, while also being that company's biggest draw.

So I guess it would be like, if Christian would've won it over Cena that first year Christian was in TNA, because Christian meant the world to TNA, and was their biggest draw, and the WWE would've been better able to sustain the loss of Cena that year, despite him being their biggest draw.

I . . . don't think that's the best example but I'm having trouble coming up with one.

I think that’s the gist of it. Maybe replace Christian with Angle?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I mean personally I don’t care about the logic of the voters or the intent of the award, I just think Ronda sucks as a person so I’m glad she lost. I don’t care if the award was for “best shoot fighter turned fake wrestler because she threw a series of tantrums and quit UFC after two losses,” I would still want Ronda to lose it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Karmine posted:

I mean personally I don’t care about the logic of the voters or the intent of the award, I just think Ronda sucks as a person so I’m glad she lost. I don’t care if the award was for “best shoot fighter turned fake wrestler because she threw a series of tantrums and quit UFC after two losses,” I would still want Ronda to lose it.

Why would you be happy people who think murdering someone isn't particularly vile agree with you?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The biggest bullshit win is Ronda beating Utami Hayashishita for Rookie of the Year

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

Didn't happen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I gotta watch this Plan B video, they'd brought it up before but Dave and Garrett talking to Ron Fuller about it was really fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-sLiA0cP0A

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Man I gotta watch this Plan B video, they'd brought it up before but Dave and Garrett talking to Ron Fuller about it was really fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-sLiA0cP0A

I'm glad you linked to that because I've been meaning to watch it for a week when I hear it mentioned on podcasts but forget by the time I get out of the car.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smoking Crow posted:

The biggest bullshit win is Ronda beating Utami Hayashishita for Rookie of the Year

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smoking Crow posted:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

In fairness there probably aren’t that many Yakuza members with Wrestling Observer subscriptions.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Them killing Magic Jonson's coaching was mana my soul desperately needed.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMMgsVjVV3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

In the wide shot it looks like hes wearing a cape lmao