Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

theHUNGERian posted:

I'm looking for critical feedback because I feel that something in the exposure and/or color is off. While I am not absolutely certain, I think that direct illumination by the sun contributed to it looking off. However, without the direct illumination I could not have captured the shadows and the delicate lines running down the sides of the leaves.

Edit: Maybe I should have gotten in closer to get a closer view of the shadows? Will try again.

Edit2: It's a step in the right direction. Stupid wind.

I don’t see anything wrong the the color or exposure. It’s possibly a bit too bright when my iPad is in torch mode.

This one is my favorite of the bunch: https://geza.zenfolio.com/p425781472/hC6AB342D#hc6ab9961. The darker background is nicer and being able to see the petals around the other side help give the flower some shape. The bright green streak is a bit distracting. It should be pretty easy to brush over that and possibly crop out the green on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

So I'd rotate it right so the flower is upright, crop so it's most of the picture and increase the contrast.

I think you might be right about the crop, I'm unsure about the rotation and contrast. Perhaps the higher contrast will make more sense after the crop. I'll play with it.

tk posted:

This one is my favorite of the bunch: https://geza.zenfolio.com/p425781472/hC6AB342D#hc6ab9961. The darker background is nicer and being able to see the petals around the other side help give the flower some shape. The bright green streak is a bit distracting. It should be pretty easy to brush over that and possibly crop out the green on the left.

Agreed on all points. Brushing over things is a red line I don't want to cross unless it's dust on the lens/sensor, but cropping would indeed be fine.

Thanks for the input.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone have good suggestions for editing tutorials? I guess this is a bit of a general question, but I'm doing almost entirely macro stuff at the moment and want to get better at editing. I'm shooting in RAW and large jpeg at the moment and want to make sure I fully utilize the available software (Lightroom and Photoshop, currently).

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Recently picked up a macro lens, still waiting for bugs to come out but at least the flowers have started showing up.

It's really getting me to think a lot more about aperture and depth of field than my previous experience with landscapes, looking forward to experimenting more in the spring.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

... still waiting for bugs to come out ...

Right? Come on. What is taking so long? Get outta there.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for editing tutorials? I guess this is a bit of a general question, but I'm doing almost entirely macro stuff at the moment and want to get better at editing. I'm shooting in RAW and large jpeg at the moment and want to make sure I fully utilize the available software (Lightroom and Photoshop, currently).

There are a lot of Lightroom & Photoshop tutorials available on YouTube. Check a few out and see whose style works for you.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

There's also the Post Processing thread where you can ask specific questions.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Helen Highwater posted:

There's also the Post Processing thread where you can ask specific questions.

I somehow missed that thread, thank you. I'll read it over. So many videos either don't explain what they're adjusting and why.

For content:
Needle Ice by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Went hiking on a trail that ends up being about 6200 feet in elevation and was too cold still to see any bugs or other small critters. Found a lot of needle ice and tried to make a decent pic out of it. Gladly accepting some criticism and suggestions on this pic, did my best with post-processing in PS.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It's nice but the angle just makes my head want to tilt. I get you can't crop/tilt as it's corner to corner.

Anyone got any strong opinions on focus stacking software, Zerene or Helicon? Zerene seems cool but Helicon can input raw, both are expensive.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 20, 2019

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jarlywarly posted:

It's nice but the angle just makes my head want to tilt. I get you can't crop/tilt as it's corner to corner.

Fair. That's actually the angle it was sticking out of the ground, as it was on a bit of a slope. A lot of it grew out at weird angles and I thought it was neat , but maybe I didn't quite capture that i the picture. It's already a bit cropped in, maybe I can find the original and tilt it a bit. Thanks for the input!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

jarlywarly posted:

Anyone got any strong opinions on focus stacking software, Zerene or Helicon? Zerene seems cool but Helicon can input raw, both are expensive.
I use helicon for my photomicrographs and like it. I have heard great things about Zerene too. Helicon has a 30 day trial of the pro version which should give a very good idea of whether it does what you need. Don't buy the basic version by the way, you can't do manual fixes with it.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

I use Zerene. At the time I was testing Helicon was much faster but the image quality was much worse for hairy subjects with overlapping hairs (spiders). The zerene PMax algorithm was much better. That was maybe 4-5 years ago though and I think helicon has improved since then. Helicon has a much more slick UI and the stacking algorithm was much faster. I was thinking about trying Helicon again this season when I get more subjects.

Helicon will output DNG but Zerene outputs 32 bit tiff so I think you get the same IQ.

My take was that Zerene is (was) a product developed by a single guy and it had a great stacking algorithm with a clunky java UI. Helicon looks like a more modern software product but the core algorithm was not as good. But if they caught up it would be a better experience.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

jarlywarly posted:

Zerene's the only one with Linux support, but I prefer Helicon's workflow and it's much faster after last year's update. I pretty much only pyramid stack and I don't see much difference in the output.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
First stacking proper try.

Man it's time consuming, RAWs to Helicon to LR for editing and then some very odd colour fringes that Lightroom was only showing in export and in library mode, ended up having to go to PS then export to JPG

Toadstool by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I've just noticed something odd about that last photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZolPxUQUcro

I did a retouch on the background buit Lightroom is acting odd in develop at fit it looks fine, go to 1:1 and it looks like it did before the retouch, the same is apparent at fit and 1:1 in Library view and when exported (as on my flickrr account)

I just exported as TIF and replaced it and this seems to have fixed that oddness.

Anyone have any ideas?

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 24, 2019

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Fair. That's actually the angle it was sticking out of the ground, as it was on a bit of a slope. A lot of it grew out at weird angles and I thought it was neat , but maybe I didn't quite capture that i the picture. It's already a bit cropped in, maybe I can find the original and tilt it a bit. Thanks for the input!

I dunno, it made sense to me - if you look at the grass on the bottom, it's upright, I assumed it grew out at a weird angle like that. I like it as it is.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Kalmthoutse Heide by roland luijken, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss 2.4 35mm Flektogon.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Orions Lord posted:

Kalmthoutse Heide by roland luijken, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss 2.4 35mm Flektogon.

Love the use of DoF really nice.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bee by Marc, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Olympus 60mm is both frustrating and satisfying to use.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

toggle posted:

Olympus 60mm is both frustrating and satisfying to use.

Noice

Mantis by Marc, on Flickr

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How are crabs as pets?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

lifeline by ms, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

7-spot Ladybird by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Beautiful shots people, love that wing close up and atlatl's are very alien which I like about macro.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I'm shooting the oly 60mm with either +5 or +10 diopters, and +10 at 1:1 focus makes grains of sand look huge and most things look like alien monstrosities. I think that works out to about 2:1. It's a monster pain in the rear end to shoot.

This one's +10/1:1.

The rest of these were with a +5.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Are those all aquarium shots? They're pretty fantastic.

Finally trying out with actual insects, even if it's just a plain jane Leaf Footed Bug

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Thanks, they're all out in the wild around Dumaguete in the Philippines. A lot of the dives are mud/sand flats that are terribly uninteresting unless you're into weird small animals, which they have in spades due to being in the coral triangle.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Atlatl posted:

I'm shooting the oly 60mm with either +5 or +10 diopters, and +10 at 1:1 focus makes grains of sand look huge and most things look like alien monstrosities. I think that works out to about 2:1. It's a monster pain in the rear end to shoot.

This one's +10/1:1.

The rest of these were with a +5.

Awesome stuff!

I just ordered some diopters for the 60mm. I find it's already a pain in the rear end to shoot with, so I'm dreading the thought of slapping those diopters on there. :slick:

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I have been thinking about trying some macro photography. What should I look for in a lens? A quick search for 'nikon macro lens' on ebay brings up some from ~$50 to ~$100 and varying brands like Nikon or Tamron. Are these good enough to start out on or should I be looking at what I assume would be higher quality with a higher price? I have a D3300. Thanks.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It depends on what macro you want to do

Common macro includes

Plants/Insects etc in the field (a lot of what you see here)
Studio macro with or without stacking.
Extreme (higher than 1:1) macro.

Macro is also often (more so than normal photography) a symbiotic relationship between lens and lighting equipment you need both to do good macro, I have more flashes than macro lenses..

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

jarlywarly posted:

It depends on what macro you want to do

Common macro includes

Plants/Insects etc in the field (a lot of what you see here)
Studio macro with or without stacking.
Extreme (higher than 1:1) macro.

Macro is also often (more so than normal photography) a symbiotic relationship between lens and lighting equipment you need both to do good macro, I have more flashes than macro lenses..
A good post.

More specifically, macro extension rings can get your existing lenses working as macro-capable lenses cheaply, and with high image quality, but they take a little extra work to get into focus. There are also reversal rings that mount lenses inside out, which I wouldn't recommend.

The next step up would be something like a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. They have infinity focus and can get to 1:1 true macro. I have this one for Canon and am pretty happy with it:

Tokina at-X PRO M 100mm F2.8 D Macro Lens - Nikon AF Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMNL52/

A lot of those cheap $50 "macro lenses" are lovely magnifying glasses you snap to the front of your lens, and will not give you the results you want.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I want to say that this thread gives good advice and the above advice was given to me a while back and helped. I ended up forgoing other equipment to get a decent flash in my budget, along with some inexpensive diffusers, and it was worth the money. I also have the Canon 100mm 2.8f lens and it only cost me about $200, and it was worth every penny since I've really learned how to take advantage of it. I'll put the flash on and forget to turn it on at first, and when I compare the no-flash pictures to the flash w/diffuser pics, it's a huge difference. Right now it's just mounted on the top shoe but I'm going to work on getting an off-mount setup eventually. I keep meaning to post some pics I've taken.

SPIRAL by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 18, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Infinite Karma posted:

A lot of those cheap $50 "macro lenses" are lovely magnifying glasses you snap to the front of your lens, and will not give you the results you want.
I'm a big fan of the Raynox DCR-150.

I don't think it's lovely.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

joat mon posted:

I'm a big fan of the Raynox DCR-150.

I don't think it's lovely.

That looks quite decent. What did you clip the DCR-150 onto for these?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lawson posted:

That looks quite decent. What did you clip the DCR-150 onto for these?

An older Tamron 18-270.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I will concede that you took some really nice pics with the snap on lens. I've only ever seen blurry, vignetted messes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Infinite Karma posted:

I will concede that you took some really nice pics with the snap on lens. I've only ever seen blurry, vignetted messes before.

Blame flickr users.

In other news, who wants to see what a sea cucumber's rear end in a top hat looks like? Well too bad it's happening, also here's the tiny rear end crabs that live inside them.

+10 diopter is basically hell especially with sand particles floating through the focus light beam, I had to give up and go to manual focus and swim very carefully.