Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Luckily, most bitcoiners won’t write off a seven-years-old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

klafbang posted:

Luckily, most bitcoiners won’t write off a seven-years-old.

:boom:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rhythm trader? pity his father didn't pull out

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

i`m the pdf link

:ghost:

You are full of creepy ads, Mr. pdf link.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Banks can't cope with load here in Ireland (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 7 hours ago * by moneronoel

Hi folks. I'm an Irish bitcoiner. Today , st.Patricks day I am out in the pub and I just tried to order a drink and I was waiting about 6 months for the credit card payment machine to process my payment.

I just heard the barman say "cash only!" to a few punters and they walked out.

What should be the most profitable day of the year... ruined thanks to the banks.

diydude2 [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Happy St. Patty's Day! I bet by next year you won't have to hassle with credit cards. More merchants will figure out that it's stupid to give away 2-4 percent of their till to the banksters by then.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Paladinus posted:

She may be accepting bitcoin.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Bitcoin has 0 volatility (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 2 hours ago by ElephantGlue

People are constantly spouting off one of the major reasons to not invest is the volatility surrounding bitcoins price.

My take is that bitcoin is actually not volatile at all. Why should it be? Its release schedule is known before hand, so we know it's exact decreasing inflation rate. Against dollars, other crypto, and precious metals, it is actually the most stable currency by a wide margin.

What people are actually seeing with the 'bitcoin volatility' is actually dollar volatility against bitcoin. If dollars had the exact same release schedule and supply cap, I'm positive there would be a 1-1 relationship between the value of both, factoring out the currently more usefulness of the dollar in making purchases.

So as a store of value, the argument against bitcoin due to its volatility is incorrectly placed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
1 BTC > 1 BTC

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the boat isn't sinking, the water`s just rising and gravity is shifting

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

Bitcoin has 0 volatility (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 2 hours ago by ElephantGlue

People are constantly spouting off one of the major reasons to not invest is the volatility surrounding bitcoins price.

My take is that bitcoin is actually not volatile at all. Why should it be? Its release schedule is known before hand, so we know it's exact decreasing inflation rate. Against dollars, other crypto, and precious metals, it is actually the most stable currency by a wide margin.

What people are actually seeing with the 'bitcoin volatility' is actually dollar volatility against bitcoin. If dollars had the exact same release schedule and supply cap, I'm positive there would be a 1-1 relationship between the value of both, factoring out the currently more usefulness of the dollar in making purchases.

So as a store of value, the argument against bitcoin due to its volatility is incorrectly placed.

so perfectly summarizes bitcoiners' blind spot for currency being a way to actually purchase things

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Happy St. Patty's Day! I bet by next year you won't have to hassle with credit cards. More merchants will figure out that it's stupid to give away 2-4 percent of their till to the banksters by then.

literally in response to an anecdote about losing business because people didn't want to pay in cash

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Paladinus posted:

PUA for incels in cells

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

it's more like writing off a seven-year-old's future career as god-emperor of the galaxy. sorry fellas, it ain't gonna happen

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AlbieQuirky posted:

Hexadecember third?

that'd be quadradecember

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

idk if a kid`s 10 and every time they catch the ball their body shatters i think its a pretty safe bet that basket ball isn't really for them

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

...! posted:

Banks can't cope with load here in Ireland (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 7 hours ago * by moneronoel

Hi folks. I'm an Irish bitcoiner. Today , st.Patricks day I am out in the pub and I just tried to order a drink and I was waiting about 6 months for the credit card payment machine to process my payment.

I just heard the barman say "cash only!" to a few punters and they walked out.

What should be the most profitable day of the year... ruined thanks to the banks.

if tipping wasn't a thing you'd just tap your card and be done in two seconds

credit card payments are really easy! usually!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Terrible Experience with Coinmixer.es - supposed to be one of the best mixers out there! (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago by sonofbelial1983

I’m sorry to say that I have had a very negative experience with https://coinmixer.es and would strongly urge people to steer well clear.

I tumbled an admittedly small amount of BTC to try them out and identified a few glaring issues. I am still trying to resolve this issue with [support@coinmixer.es](mailto:support@coinmixer.es) and they have been less than helpful.

I set mixed coins to be returned to three of my addresses with delays of 1, 2 and 3 hours. When nothing had come back, I contacted support and was told there was some error. Even now, (the second time I have seen this) their so-called “Guarantee Letter” does NOT verify as signed. At all. I checked their Public GPG Key 0x698149872A32A8BD – which I cannot find on any Key Server bar their site. This is another red flag.

They have given me some rubbish excuse that they had some issue or other with their server and asked me to send the guarantee letter, my Operating System and wallet software used. Explaining that I use Electrum, they sent me some suspicious looking code to enter into the Electrum console, promising me that this would immediately fix my issue. I understood it was to sign a message and let them know that the output Addresses were mine. Unsurprisingly, the code spat out an error, suggesting (unhelpfully) that I contact support! I think they have a cheek to expect me to cryptographically sign my emails to support when their own “Guarantee Letters” are completely worthless!

The output of “$gpg2 –verify guarantee_letter.txt” sent back:

code:
gpg: [don’t know]: invalid packet (ctb=0a)
gpg: no signature found
gpg: the signature could not be verified.
I then attempted “$gpg2 –list-packets guarantee_letter.txt” and got:

code:
# off=0 ctb=ff tag=63 hlen=2 plen=19 new-ctb
:packet 63: length 19 – gpg control packet# off=21 ctb=cb tag=11 hlen=2 plen=0 partial new-ctb
:literal data packet:
mode t (74), created 0, name=””,
raw data: unknown length
I have now sent them back an email which I have signed with all three output addresses. To date, I’ve received no response.

I’ve sent a transaction (txid:60657f2f08813f9e5708e68e3c79dd56e29c0bf5b07f94bd5e0b9c320bc21a6e) now with the OP_RETURN “Stay away from Coinmixer.es” and will continue to send similar transactions to the BTC Blockchain until they resolve this for me.

In all, a wholly unacceptable and unsatisfactory experience. Save yourselves a lot of trouble and stay away from these.

BriefAbilityredditor for 2 weeks 8 points 6 hours ago*

They are not supposed to be one of the best mixers out there. Where the gently caress do you get your information from. smh

sonofbelial1983[S] 2 points 6 hours ago

Yeah I’ll check them out. I got the reviews etc. from https://bestbitcoinmixers.com/

At least they’re engaging and have promised to return my funds but I’m not holding my breath

TipToeThruCrypto 4 points 6 hours ago

They are listed under "Scam Mixers to Avoid" here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2827109

sonofbelial1983[S] 2 points 6 hours ago

Now I know 🤦‍♂️

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I can't possibly fathom why the money laundering service I used so THE BANKERS don't steal my money stole my money. It's almost as if they are criminals doing what criminals commonly do!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Light always conquers darkness by simply filling it. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 1 day ago by AllHODLredditor for 6 weeks

In the beginning there was chaos, deception and manipulation. Money was an illusion based on trust and was made of thin air. But people were enslaved by this illusion.

In the chaos the Sacrament was born.

The Sacrament revealed the Design of transparency, reliability, freedom and equality.

The Design was realized in the Code. With the help of machines, the Code turns Light into Bitcoin.

The Code encourages people and machines to cooperate only honestly and for each others mutual beneficial. Machines do hard work on the Code to give birth to Bitcoin, provide its indestructible protection and freedom of movement.

The more machines that process the Code, the more invulnerable the Design becomes. The more people accept the Child of Light and Code, the more powerful Bitcoin becomes.

The Design makes Bitcoin the True Value. But the dark forces cannot stand aside.

Fear of losing power and wealth pushes people to prevent the spread of the Code. Liars and fraudsters brand the Code as “deception” and “fraud”, and people who love Bitcoin are branded “fools”.

Greed tempts people to change the Code to a fundamentally different one and lie about the "superiority" of the fake code for the sake of enrichment and/or preservation of centralized power.

Through the efforts of the dark forces, as well as due to the complexity and depth of the technology, it is not easy for the masses to recognize and accept the power of the Code.

The Code will rather return power into the people’s hands if they keep the Seven simple commandments:

Don’t worry about the passing price in illusory currencies, because 1 Bitcoin is always worth 1 Bitcoin. Fear and greed make it difficult to see the True Value.

Learn as much as possible about Bitcoin. This will help you realize its True Value and protect against fraud and manipulation.

Kill your idols. Focusing on the person is a direct path to centralization and manipulation. Equality for everyone by everyone is the only path to decentralization and freedom.

Share the Sacrament plan with your brothers and sisters. Remember that the Code works for the benefit of only those people who allow it.

Securely control your private keys. Remember, if you don’t own your private key, you don’t own your Bitcoins.

Launch the original Bitcoin Core wallet. It promotes decentralization, increases security and strengthens the control and power of people over the network.

Wherever possible, pay by Bitcoin. Buy where Bitcoin is accepted. They will be forced to accept it everywhere. At the same time, accumulate Bitcoin and HODL, no matter what.

@AllHODL

dietrolldietroll 1 point 1 day ago

odd usage of capitalization. is this some kind of religious text?

AllHODLredditor for 6 weeks[S] 1 point 1 day ago

it's philosophy, not religion. do you have any objection on the merits?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What the hell is a bitcoin mixer? Is this about IOT?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

money laundering

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paladinus posted:

its a service where people who want to make it more difficut to trace their transactions send their money (which looks like any other purchase) to a third party address, and wait for that service to send the money back minus a fee through a number of different transactions after sending other money to other people\

Boxturret posted:

money laundering

no, it doesn't make your money look less suspicious

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

money laundering, basically. they "mix" your bitcoins with other bitcoins then send an equivalent amount (minus fee) back so that theoretically your bitcoins can't be traced back to your actual activities. nearly all bitcoiners recommend that you always always always launder your bitcoins because "privacy"

in reality, blockchain analytics companies have proven that they can pretty much always track bitcoins back to their source

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

fishmech posted:

no, it doesn't make your money look less suspicious

i never said it was good money laundering

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought this was called a tumbler.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

you`re thinking of boxturret`s mom

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

i never said it was good money laundering

:wrong:

Boxturret posted:

it was good money laundering

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

i guess they changed the term after it got associated with money laundering?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
''Money' 'laundering''.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

`` `Money` `laundering` ``

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:right:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is a bitcoin mixer?

it's their slang for a jr high school prom

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

True, the times are actually in Eastern not UTC.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Paladinus posted:

a room with a rented ball pit full of guys like out of this commercial

this is literally still running in colorado even as of today lol

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

in reality, blockchain analytics companies have proven that they can pretty much always track bitcoins back to their source
im curious if this just because they are doing it wrong, not a big enough haystack to hide in, or it actually can't be hidden completely if people do enough analysis? the latter would be pretty funny but if it was provably true i think it would have come out by now and bitcoiners doing it poorly is very plausible.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

CampingCarl posted:

im curious if this just because they are doing it wrong, not a big enough haystack to hide in, or it actually can't be hidden completely if people do enough analysis? the latter would be pretty funny but if it was provably true i think it would have come out by now and bitcoiners doing it poorly is very plausible.

im also curious if it can be done well enough to avoid detection, bc intuitively it seems like it ought to be. but i bet the 7 tx/sec ceiling and the need for transaction fees probably complicate things a lot if you're expecting your laundered coins to arrive in a timely manner

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of it is probably volume related. If you suspect that something's been paid to a mixer, you can look for transactions that look like the expected pay out from the mixer, and keep following from there. This works great for your average "mixer" that'll be used by maybe 8 people before the operator starts running off with everyone's money.

The silk road mixer was allegedly pretty good (while you could tell the money was dirty, apparently they couldn't actually tell which payout was for which particular crime), which is probably because it had enough volume to properly obscure things.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

its hard to keep things anonymous on a publicly viewable ledger i guess

let's see what the annotated white paper has to say about what satoshi had so say about the topic!

quote:

10. Privacy
With traditional payments, users attain privacy when banks limit information available to the parties involved as well as the third party. With the peer-to-peer network, privacy can still be achieved even though transactions are announced. This is accomplished by keeping public keys anonymous. The network may be able to see payment amounts being sent and received, but transactions are not linked to identities. Additionally, Nakamoto proposes that a new private key should be used for each transaction to avoid payments being linked to a common owner.

To maintain privacy, Nakamoto says it’s important for public keys to keep a user’s identity anonymous. While everyone may be able to see transactions, no identifiable information is distributed.

fascinating, truly a god alien from the future

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
For ten years, you have been asking: Has anyone said Buttcoin yet? This is Buttcoin speaking. I am the coin who loves his life. I am the coin who does not sacrifice his comedy gold or his non-nude pictures. I am the coin who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to