Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Logs. You put tofu logs in your mouth.

But isn't that what happens after you put a bunch of tofu in your mouth?

One hell of a snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Maybe an odd question, but is there a formula or method to take something that needs to bake x minutes at y temperature and convert it to a different temperature?

Tonight I was baking a lasagna at 375 and had a hankerin for some frozen mini French rolls which need 425. I guess, thinking about it now, that since they’re fully baked, they just need to get hot, so it would work to bake them longer even if sacrificing some browning.

I swear my next range will be a dual-fuel double oven.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I took a semester of engineering thermodynamics, so I can say with the utmost certainty: it depends.

Heat transfer occurs faster at higher temperature, but different material pans (esp metal vs glass) and volume to surface area ratios (E.g. Round pan vs rectangular) make almost as much of a difference.

In whatever case, I'd 100% keep the oven at the more finicky recipe's temperature, so lasagna oven with experimental pizza rolls or whatever, and just keep checking on them until they look or taste right. Surface effects like crisping will occur at the wrong time with respect to internal temperature, so try to only break from recipe/instructions when it's not a finicky recipe/product.

E: oh and unless you have an oven thermometer it's likely your oven is miscalibrated 20-50°F one way or the other so you really need to watch poo poo anyhow :v:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 15, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s nothing that converts perfectly because heat takes time to travel throughout a food. When you ramp up the temp you risk overcooking the outside and undercooking the inside

That said you can probably get away with it in small amounts

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

E: oh and unless you have an oven thermometer it's likely your oven is miscalibrated 20-50°F one way or the other so you really need to watch poo poo anyhow :v:

I do, indeed, have an oven thermometer, and it revealed something really weird when I first got this range. When preheating on the normal setting, it beeped saying it was ready, but the oven thermometer showed that the actual temperature was as much as 100 degrees (F) below target.

Preheating on “convection” setting got within 5 degrees before saying it was ready. So now I cook everything on convection and wait a couple minutes before starting.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Marcella Hazan is great but I also really like most of Lidia Bastianich’s books if you want something with pictures for inspiration. Lidia’s Family Table and Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy are my two favs.

Lidia kept a person as a literal slave and profited from Batalis sexual assaults so maybe don’t give her your money

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LongSack posted:

I do, indeed, have an oven thermometer, and it revealed something really weird when I first got this range. When preheating on the normal setting, it beeped saying it was ready, but the oven thermometer showed that the actual temperature was as much as 100 degrees (F) below target.

Preheating on “convection” setting got within 5 degrees before saying it was ready. So now I cook everything on convection and wait a couple minutes before starting.

That's exactly why oven thermometers are absolutely necessary since most built-in oven thermostats are dirty, dirty liars.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oven temps are a big ol' who cares. 350 is just the default for a lot of things since it was the old "Moderate Oven"
This doesn't apply to a lot of pastry/cookies.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lidia kept a person as a literal slave and profited from Batalis sexual assaults so maybe don’t give her your money

Not sure I can think of anything more authentically Roman.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Somehow my lovely apartment oven with an analog knob (no notches even) manages to be within about 5-10 degrees of where it should be, i was shocked. I've checked top and bottom racks, it's unbelievably even.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I've been struggling with my homemade corn tortilla. They're still better then the store bought packaged stuff but I feel like they can improve. Does anybody have any good tips/resources to help troubleshooting?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lifts cats over head posted:

I've been struggling with my homemade corn tortilla. They're still better then the store bought packaged stuff but I feel like they can improve. Does anybody have any good tips/resources to help troubleshooting?

Home nixtamalizing, storebought fresh dough, or masa flour?

Once we switched from a lovely aluminum press to an iron press, and once we learned "peel the plastic off the tortilla, not the tortilla off the plastic" it got much easier. YouTube that one if you need a visual, I'm on cell data.

Dry steel pan, med-high heat, 1-2 min per side, finish on an open flame if you got one.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

BrianBoitano posted:

Home nixtamalizing, storebought fresh dough, or masa flour?

Once we switched from a lovely aluminum press to an iron press, and once we learned "peel the plastic off the tortilla, not the tortilla off the plastic" it got much easier. YouTube that one if you need a visual, I'm on cell data.

Dry steel pan, med-high heat, 1-2 min per side, finish on an open flame if you got one.

masa flour. Thanks for the suggestions. What kind of plastic do you use? would wax paper work? I've been using either pieces of ziplock bags (which might be too thick) or cut up grocery bags.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi General Questions Thread - is there a good recipe keeping website or app that you would recommend? I joined my company's "Well Being" committee and my idea is to have a recipe-share confluence page for the company to post their favorite and/or healthy recipes and I feel like it would be a good idea to have suggestions for where people could keep the ones they want to use/like. I use Google Keep for my own recipe storage and its...not the best, so any ideas are welcome.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi General Questions Thread - is there a good recipe keeping website or app that you would recommend? I joined my company's "Well Being" committee and my idea is to have a recipe-share confluence page for the company to post their favorite and/or healthy recipes and I feel like it would be a good idea to have suggestions for where people could keep the ones they want to use/like. I use Google Keep for my own recipe storage and its...not the best, so any ideas are welcome.

Paprika is the only one i have used and can recommend. It’s pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its not great but ive been using evernote to save a copy of recipies

...but ive never tried paprika and that does look interesting

evernote is free though

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pepperplate is my favorite but its sharing options are awful :suicide:

lifts cats over head posted:

masa flour. Thanks for the suggestions. What kind of plastic do you use? would wax paper work? I've been using either pieces of ziplock bags (which might be too thick) or cut up grocery bags.

Doing dough from flower gives you a lot of control, try for almost as dry as play-dough.

When I was in Mexico I saw a lot of cut up grocery & trash bags. I've used the plastic that came with my press, but when that wore out, I tried wax paper. It tore too easily, so now I just use ziplock.

Oh, and I use bacon fat in my flour tortillas, but not corn, though I might try just to see.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I use ever note because it is free and get very easy to share with. Doubly so as I run all of my dnd sit out of it too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I like Evernote. One of my ongoing notes is just fro transferring URLs of recipes back and forth between my desktop and phone. I usually use my phone in the kitchen, because I don't own a pad.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

captkirk posted:

Not sure I can think of anything more authentically Roman.

I mean, fair.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Looking for something new to do with fish. Firstly, I really don’t like “oily” fish or most shellfish (shrimp are ok, though I prefer them cold like in cocktail). Oh, I’ll eat the gently caress outta some salmon croquettes, but given the choice, my preferences are whitefish and tuna.

My go-to whitefish dish is to simply bake some haddock loins and serve them with spicy boiled new potatoes (zataran’s extra spicy crab boil packet in the water) with a citrus salad. For tuna, I cook steaks with lemon juice, minced garlic, butter, and soy sauce / teriyaki in either paper or foil, also with a citrus salad.

Ideas? Note that deep frying is out, but shallow / pan frying are ok. TIA

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Speckled trout/flounder/redfish/pompano/sole meunière.

First, fix yourself a sazerac.

Then, Salt and pepper and lightly flour your fillets, and pan fry in plenty of butter (clarified if you’re feeling fancy) maybe 2 minutes a side-just enough to lightly brown the flour. Let the butter brown a little after cooking if it isn’t brown already, and deglaze and make a pan sauce with a little white wine (muscadet or citrusy Sauvignon blanc is good or white vermouth is okay) add a tiny dash of Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar and squeeze a lemon in there. Chop parsley fine and add it and some butter and a fresh little squeeze of lemon juice to the sauce at the end. Dump on top of your fish. Serve with Brabant potatoes and a nice green salad and drink Sancerre if you’re really feel fancy, Muscadet or Sauvignon blanc if you aren’t. Imagine you’re at Galatoire’s and enjoy.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Then, Salt and pepper and lightly flour your fillets, and pan fry in plenty of butter (clarified if you’re feeling fancy) maybe 2 minutes a side-just enough to lightly brown the flour. Let the butter brown a little after cooking if it isn’t brown already, and deglaze and make a pan sauce with a little white wine (muscadet or citrusy Sauvignon blanc is good or white vermouth is okay) add a tiny dash of Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar and squeeze a lemon in there. Chop parsley fine and add it and some butter and a fresh little squeeze of lemon juice to the sauce at the end. Dump on top of your fish. Serve with Brabant potatoes and a nice green salad and drink Sancerre if you’re really feel fancy, Muscadet or Sauvignon blanc if you aren’t. Imagine you’re at Galatoire’s and enjoy.

Sounds delicious, gonna try it this Sunday, though my preferred white wine is a crisp Washington Riesling - say Kung Fu Girl or Lone Burch. Thanks!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sometimes the simplest advice is the best advice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes yes yes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This Eric Ripert recipe is good, I was making it two or three times a week when I was on a fish kick a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCjnUt88xg

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Anyone have ideas on foods that freeze and reheat well? Gonna be visiting my brother and SIL when they have the baby and I'm planning to fill their freezer with good ready-to-heat homecooked meals. I'm gonna do some irish beef stew and some curry for sure. I need some other things I can batch cook for this purpose. Ideally something with more "body" to it as curry and stew are a bit light on textural interest.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Resting Lich Face posted:

Anyone have ideas on foods that freeze and reheat well? Gonna be visiting my brother and SIL when they have the baby and I'm planning to fill their freezer with good ready-to-heat homecooked meals. I'm gonna do some irish beef stew and some curry for sure. I need some other things I can batch cook for this purpose. Ideally something with more "body" to it as curry and stew are a bit light on textural interest.

A lot of things freeze and then cook better than they freeze and reheat. My mom makes unbaked enchiladas, partially freezes them, vacuum seals them, and brings them to my grandparents who just have to pop them in an oven.

I used to do the frying for chicken parmesan and then bake it without the pasta (but with sauce and mozarella) and freeze it the same way. It then just needs a bit more sauce and some freshly cooked spaghetti.

I think pulled pork bbq freezes well, as do cooked sweet potatoes.

A lot of casseroles can be cooked straight from the freezer and hold up better that way than they would from being baked, frozen, and then reheated.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Sadly the closer the texture is to a homogenous goop the better it freezes in most cases.

Stews, curries, chilli, soups tends to be where you have the most options for stuff that freezes well, but you can do a lot more if you freeze a nearly-finished dish. Boiling some noodles to pour previously-prepared sauce over is a hell of a lot less time and effort than making a good bolognese , and stuff like dumplings and puff-pastry pastries freeze fine if you freeze them before cooking as long as the fillings can handle it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Due to a mixup between my wife and I and a grocery "buy one get one free" sale I have ended up with some 30+ lbs of golden potatoes. I'll be covering my bases with a few recipes I've always used but I figure this would be a chance to try out potatoes in ways I have never cooked before.

Does anyone have a good potato using recipe or two that are not:

-any variation of fried potatoes, hashbrowns, homefries, etc.
-potato soup / vichyssoise
-baked potatoes
-beef stew with potatoes

?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scalloped/Au gratin

If you have the patience, OMG: http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-potato-pave-recipe/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Scalloped/Au gratin

If you have the patience, OMG: http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-potato-pave-recipe/

Ooh, the Pave is neat. I was thinking of doing some Hasselbeck (bach?) potatoes but this would be even more fun, thanks. I can't do too many 'potatoes + heavy cream' ones though, whew.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Keller's Pave recipe is so good it makes you feel guilty for using potatoes in other ways.

That said, kartoffelkuchen is probably one of the best alternate preparations of potato. Most recipes can be easily converted into Latkes as well.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
There are a variety of traditional Indian dishes which use potatoes or can be made with potatoes which taste nothing like anything from the above list.

They can also make decent, albeit carb-loaded, tacos.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

There are a variety of traditional Indian dishes which use potatoes or can be made with potatoes which taste nothing like anything from the above list.

Any of these you'd recommend to try 1st? I've only had potatoes as part of some kinds of curry and what not. It's good, but wanting to try to do something new with it. I shoulda maybe done NICSA - Potato instead of beans.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Waci posted:

Stews, curries, chilli, soups tends to be where you have the most options for stuff that freezes well, but you can do a lot more if you freeze a nearly-finished dish. Boiling some noodles to pour previously-prepared sauce over is a hell of a lot less time and effort than making a good bolognese , and stuff like dumplings and puff-pastry pastries freeze fine if you freeze them before cooking as long as the fillings can handle it.

Ahhh a bolognese is a great idea. I didn't think of it because I usually cook for someone who very much dislikes tomato (RIP Italian cooking). You also kinda gave me the idea to omit the potatoes in the stew and have them pour it over baked potatoes when reheated. I think curry, stew, and bolognese is a nice variety, and all easily cooked in large batches. Thanks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

That Works posted:

Any of these you'd recommend to try 1st? I've only had potatoes as part of some kinds of curry and what not. It's good, but wanting to try to do something new with it. I shoulda maybe done NICSA - Potato instead of beans.

One of my favorites is aloo gobi.

Also give potatoes bhaji a try.

Edit: It's St Patrick's Day, how could I forget the colcannon and cottage pie I had at lunch?

effika fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some potato recipes:

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a516434/potato-salad-with-peas-and-persian-spices-recipe/

https://www.simplytadka.com/kalonji-aloo-stir-fry-stir-fried-potato/

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/sri-lankan-chili-potatoes-recipe

https://foodcnr.com/potato-curry-from-sri-lanka-ala-hodi-kirata/

http://mynameisyeh.com/mynameisyeh/2018/12/potato-bagels

https://nishamadhulika.com/en/1580-aloo-anardana-sabzi-recipe.html

http://greenevi.com/vegan-hungarian-paprika-potato-stew/

https://hebbarskitchen.com/aloo-lachha-namkeen-aloo-lacha-chivda/

https://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2018/07/dopiazeh-aloo.html

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/sauteed-small-potatoes-with-salt-and-pepper/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-potato-pancake/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-spicy-potato-salad/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/shredded-potato-stir-fry/

http://thegreekvegan.com/potatoes-a...23949;&%23962;/

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/potato-achari-recipe-achari-aloo

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com/2012/02/chadian-irio.html

http://tasteofnepal.blogspot.com/2013/02/aloo-ko-achaar-potato-salad.html

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/aloo-ki-kachori/

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mexico-Potatoes-Chiles

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-light-tender-potato-gnocchi.html

http://www.mypersiankitchen.com/sib-zamini-ba-hel-cardamom-potatoes/

https://www.whiskaffair.com/jeera-aloo-recipe/

I could add many more (India alone has like a dozen more that I like to cook normally) but hopefully that's a good starting point.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Due to a mixup between my wife and I and a grocery "buy one get one free" sale I have ended up with some 30+ lbs of golden potatoes. I'll be covering my bases with a few recipes I've always used but I figure this would be a chance to try out potatoes in ways I have never cooked before.

-baked potatoes
-beef stew with potatoes

?
These are a bit of trouble but really really damned good and always impress. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/forked-oven-roasted-potatoes

Pommes Boulangere are great and not so heavy-a gratin with herbs and stock and onions/garlic. Potatoes Anna are sliced potatoes layered and baked in clarified butter, so obviously also delicious. Gratin Dauphinoise with just cream and cheese and garlic and potatoes and salt and pepper is a perfect in every way kind of dish.

They're in the hashbrown category, but Rosti potatoes with green onions are just sooooo good, as are lyonnaise potatoes (and brabant, while we're listing fried potatoes [region])

Potatoes are just so versatile. Julia Child has like two chapters of nothing but potatoes, and that's just French stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

That Works posted:

-baked potatoes
-beef stew with potatoes

?

Potato masala, southern style

Boil the potatoes and crush lightly.

Mustard seed, cumin seed, asafoetida, curry leaves, onion, ginger, turmeric, salt

You can add some green chilies if you like.

Pop the mustard seeds in oil, add the cumin seed and asafoetida, and when those are done popping hit it with curry leaf. Add onions, and cook until translucent, not until browned. Add ginger and turmeric.

Stir until the turmeric is evenly blended. Add the lightly crushed boiled potatoes, and add a bit of water and some salt. Cook until it’s smelling good. Eat.