Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was wondering if anyone would take that terrible bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I get the frustration of having a low power car and sitting behind someone mid corner, having them point by on exit, and pull away at full throttle.

Or only checking their mirrors on straights so that tiny shrinking civic doesn't need a point by.

So I pit and do the "I want a gap" hand signal and life's good.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I always get reliable point bys when I lap the racecar. They can hear that VTEC comin. In my E36 it's much worse.

Got some fancy parts overnight from Japan UK

Good riddance GForce SFI belts

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, man, I got the same belts through jamal, they are so worth it having hosed with some of the cheap stuff people have in their cars.

I generally don't get point bys, but it usually goes fairly smoothly. Sometimes you get people who seem to be blind, I need to start using the hot pit in these situations, like honda whisperer is saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpFQHvQf2qA

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 23, 2019

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
https://www.racingjunk.com/GT/183163080/GT-Chassis.html?category_id=83&np_offset=2

Aarrrrgh. Someone buy this.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, man, I got the same belts through jamal, they are so worth it having hosed with some of the cheap stuff people have in their cars.

I generally don't get point bys, but it usually goes fairly smoothly. Sometimes you get people who seem to be blind, I need to start using the hot pit in these situations, like honda whisperer is saying.

That was pretty bad. Did you talk to the offender or the organizers after the session?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SlapActionJackson posted:

That was pretty bad. Did you talk to the offender or the organizers after the session?

I guess I can relink the video, but no, I didn't say anything since it was the last session of the day and for 'political' reasons.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I can relink the video, but no, I didn't say anything since it was the last session of the day and for 'political' reasons.

You don't have to go in with guns a blazin'. Sometimes a simple "Hey man, I was looking for a point by. FYI, I'm running an m:ss lap but only have xxx hp so I need a little help to get it done" is enough to get the point across.

But yeah, it's not going to be much help on the last session of the day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Have run into a bit of a snag on upgrading the roll hoop on the locost. The existing main hoop goes all the way down as it should but has panels and other structure bonded to it. Problem is it isn't high enough to pass the 'broomstick' test, has a slight bend across the top and currently doesn't have rear supports so it's just a hoop.

We want to cut the existing off slightly above the body then add the new one from there up. I've seen 'roll cage bungs' used on UTVs and some off road trucks but can't find any info on them being used in cars. I'd thought about adding a 'sleeve' that goes several inches into the old and new cage to really tie them together but again can't find any info. Need to figure out something that'll be safe and pass tech for track days, won't be doing wheel-to-wheel in this one.

Current

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Those tubes look really small.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wrar posted:

Those tubes look really small.

They're 1.5" but we don't know wall thickness until we start cutting. SCCA 1.5x.095 is good for up to 2699lb which is more than twice what this weighs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I thought there were supposed to be inspection holes to verify tube thickness anyway

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

There would be on a proper cage, this isn't. There aren't rear supports and this one has been cut/chopped/modified a few times by the previous two owners.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm pretty sure most orgs will specify the main hoop has to be one continuous piece of tube with a maximum # of bends.

I did sleeve the rollcage for my EK racecar. We used the main hoop from a cage kit meant for an EG so it had to come up 4". It already had some slug pieces meant for the rear downtubes so we cut those out and cut the main hoop off at the footplate. Drilled holes in the main hoop and new section to plug weld the slug, and also did a full weld around the joint of the tubes. But my race org specifically allows it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like some orgs allow sleeving like I had been thinking about, I was just searching the wrong terms. Going to run this by my cage guy but I think it'll work.

This is from the 2018 SCCA GCR

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ran my first Porsche Club of America event today, I have no idea why I didn't do this sooner.
DE4 I had almost no traffic all day since I think there were only like 12-15 cars in the group and the grid did a good job spacing us. Got five sessions instead of the usual four, and it is $20 cheaper than NASA and the other org here. :psyduck:

Managed a 1:48 at Arizona Motorsports Park CW, prior PB was 1:50. The instructor that did my check ride is one of the local fast Spec Miata guys -- he had some good input that helped quite a bit... he also told me to quit playing in DE and go to TT. :suicide:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 10, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Took my M3 to COTA, had a loving blast, managed to get up to ~135 on the back straightaway.

Mostly went fantastic, and my instructor really helped me improve my braking and make sure I was hitting all the apexes just right. Picked up a ton of speed from my first laps out to the end. Was only a short session, but I'm gonna have to go back out in a couple months.

Had a real fun moment where my brake fluid overheated on the back straight and I lost brakes going into turn 12. :aaaaa: managed to stop her right before the gravel, thank god there's a loving huge runoff area there.

The rest of the session it was fine, guess the tires heated up or I was braking better or something, but I'm definitely going to drain and replace the brake fluid before my next track day in a few weeks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What brake compound were you using?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its a carbon fiber ceramic hybrid. What do you recommend?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a carbon fiber ceramic hybrid. What do you recommend?

A real track pad and fresh ATE TYP200 fluid. COTA is hard on brakes.

I'm running RSL29s on the F80 at the track. You may want to check with the E46 crew to see what the current recommended track pad is for that application.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ran DTC60s in my ZHP for the 4 days I did with it, they will work fine and are cheap. The dust is terrible -- you never want to let it get wet and dry.

Eventually, you may hit a wall with them where the brakes start to feel wooden, that is your sign that the pads have faded and you need back off and let the pads cool. If you press on you'll delaminate the pad compound from the backing plates starting at the leading edge.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Speaking about brakes, are wilwoods decent enough for track use? I've been eyeing this kit to replace my current setup which is some weird knockoff wilwood on the front and standard rears.

Current setup works ok balance wise but it's a pain to get spares because it's pretty much a one man band operation and the guy's pretty hard to get hold of if I need new discs or we. On the plus side the caliper takes a willwood pad, but it's a pain to find matching compounds for the stock rear brakes. At the moment I run Carbotech xp10

With that willwood full kit pad choice should be much easier and also the discs are just a standard size that bolt up to the bells, same goes for the caliper parts. The same guy does a stoptech kit but nobody seems to sell the bare calipers here in europe, or as far as I can see.

I mean the worst tracks I found on brakes were Bedford with multiple 100mph+ stops and Silverstone. But I'm planning to go to Spa this year which also has some big braking zones.

I thought about going back to the standard calipers but they love to stick and that was one of the reasons I ended up replacing the fronts in the first place.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Wilwood are pretty OK; they cut corners here and there and they're basically built to a price point, but there's not much else at that price point that's worth anything. If you have the option, always go for Superlites instead of Dynalites - they're just a much stiffer caliper for not a hell of a lot more money.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
idk how it works on your side of the ocean, but over here Carbotech will put any compound on any pad shape you want. I'd call your local distributor and see if they offer the same service over there.

I've heard the bleeders for Wilwoods are made of cheese, but no personal experience.

With this said, I ordered a Stoptech C43 kit with floating rotors for my car over the Wilwood and normal Stoptech ST40 kit because rotor replacements are cheaper ($100/rotor), brake balance is closer to stock, and they use the common DR21/Wilwood 7420 pad shape but allow for a THICK 20.5mm pad.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I can't fault carbotech over here for service tbh, they have a european base and they pretty much told me what you said about being able to cut pretty much any pad shape.

That company gives you the choice of either caliper and even recomends the Superlites if you want to use em on track anyway. I'd be just buying the bare kit anyway and just source the other bits over here. I might just see if they can quote me for how much it would cost with shipping for the bare kit with just the stoptechs though.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've tried Carbotech, Hawk, G-Loc, PFC, and Cobalt, and my favorites have been PFC and Cobalt. I did not care for any of the Carbotech or Hawk pads I tried (at least on the front of the car). My favorites have been the PFC01/11 and the Cobalt XP1 or XP2 on the front. I'm currently using the XP1. I have a lot of laps at COTA and the PFC and Cobalts are the only ones that I haven't had issues with brake fade at the end of a race. I don't have ABS so YMMV.

Also use Castrol SRF brake fluid and you won't have to bleed the brakes for a year.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
PFCs are just so loving expensive that I've never tried them. I use DTC60s, they modulate well on the civic and will do 3 hours without skipping a beat. With close to 70/30 weight distribution I can just run HP+ in the rear.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I ran DTC60s in my ZHP for the 4 days I did with it, they will work fine and are cheap. The dust is terrible -- you never want to let it get wet and dry.

Eventually, you may hit a wall with them where the brakes start to feel wooden, that is your sign that the pads have faded and you need back off and let the pads cool. If you press on you'll delaminate the pad compound from the backing plates starting at the leading edge.

This is a post full of painfully learned truths

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone go for a SCCA regional license recently? As I transition from budget enduro to open wheel I realize I should have gotten my license years ago.

~15 years experience, 5 of that wheel-to-wheel so I'd rather avoid an expensive racing school if possible. I'm sure I'd pick up some things and if that's the route I have to go that's fine but I'd rather put that money towards track time.

I'm putting together a list of my track experience to send to my regional SCCA rep and see what they say but figured I'd ask here first.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This weekend was aids -- I didn't want to go because this track is garbage with major runoff issues but I needed the points. Three cars got fully written off, including the S2000 of a good friend. I learned the don't forget to pick up your transponder lesson the hard way, but was allowed to go back out for one lap. I went slower but was able to pick up third of nine in class.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

This weekend was aidscompletely awful -- I didn't want to go because this track is garbage with major runoff issues but I needed the points. Three cars got fully written off, including the S2000 of a good friend. I learned the don't forget to pick up your transponder lesson the hard way, but was allowed to go back out for one lap. I went slower but was able to pick up third of nine in class.

ftfy with a non-lovely description.

Sorry about the crappy track weekend though, that's lame. Hope your friend is physically ok at least?

What was it about the conditions / participants that ended up in 3 dead cars?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry, terrible description, yours is better. Yeah, he's fine. Dude riding with him got his bell rung pretty good by a tire from the tire wall that came through the window.

The track I am talking about is Bondurant school with looper config CCW, problem is that there is very little runoff in a few incident prone sections. As marked below from 14 is flat in my car with a little bit of a pull back to 40-50% throttle coming into the hill that is 2 then back flat as you crest the hill and go down to 4. It is pretty fast.

First car to go off was a FRS in TT, out lap first time on Hoosiers. Caught a bump coming onto the straight wrong, probably lifted and the car snapped back to pancake into a tire wall. (Into outside of turn 15)
Second car was my friend who lifted in a 80mph+ section where the track kinks left, rises, and falls right. There is a tire barrier something like 40ft? off the track here. (Turn 2 - basically next to 2A marking on map)
Third car was a spec Miata in the same spot as the FRS, but went off to the other side and pancaked another tire wall. (Inside turn 15)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 25, 2019

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, terrible description, yours is better. Yeah, he's fine. Dude riding with him got his bell rung pretty good by a tire from the tire wall that came through the window.

The track I am talking about is Bondurant school with looper config CCW, problem is that there is very little runoff in a few incident prone sections.

First car to go off was a FRS in TT, out lap first time on Hoosiers. Caught a bump coming onto the straight wrong, probably lifted and the car snapped back to pancake into a tire wall. (Into outside of turn 15)
Second car was my friend who lifted in a 90-100mph section where the track kinks left, rises, and falls right. There is a tire barrier something like 40ft? off the track here. (Turn 2A)
Third car was a spec Miata in the same spot as the FRS, but went off to the other side and pancaked another tire wall. (Inside turn 15)

Holy hell :( That is indeed a lovely, expensive, heartbreaking day. Glad nobody was seriously hurt but gently caress having wall bits coming into the car all day, every day :allbuttons:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I definitely remember the camber change coupled with sudden crest at turn 2 being dicy, and I was going 30mph slower to enter 2A. The instructors were always telling me, yeah, blip the throttle over the crest and you get great turn-in.

Was 14 still all cracked and bumpy?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, 14 is pretty messed up. Probably a pretty decent contributor to both incidents there.

The word floating around the paddock Sunday morning was that the track had sold to a group on Saturday and that the group was known to build up facilities then increase track rental prices substantially. We will see what happens in the coming months, but the general thought was that it was the end of times.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's been known that Bondurant as-is is done, right?
https://www.thedrive.com/news/26579/bondurant-racing-school-must-get-new-investors-buyer-in-8-days-or-it-could-close

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, but what is actually happening with the actual tracks has been up in the air for months. We've pretty much been on notice up until the weekend of the respective event as to it happening or being cancelled. Per NASA staff the actual keys to the compound were handed over to them for this weekend with the understanding that we'd clean up after ourselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZmolZCnX8

Hahahahaha good lord

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I had a great day at bedford on Saturday that I only booked onto at the spur of the moment and unusually for a saturday it was a very quiet day with only 40 cars turning up for a day at a 4+ mile circuit meant no traffic and more opportunities to push.

Near the end of the day I was pushing pretty hard until I think the brake fluid started to boil, this was after about 30 minutes on track. The pedal went very soft with little retardation near the end of the lap, luckily there was a lot of runoff and I kinda felt the brake pedal go funny on the corner before. I decided to do a cooldown lap and the pedal slowly came back to me and by the time I'd pulled back into the pits it felt like normal.

Does this sound like the fluid boiling? Normally pad fading has the pedal feeling solid but with gently caress all braking.

Tbf I'm not that worried because I got so much seat time on a track with multiple 100mph braking zones, some one after the other and this occured right at the end of the day. I'll look into changing the fluid to something better anyway. I even have footage of it, although it's not that exciting to watch.

After that I ended up blagging a passenger ride with someones S2 elise on quantum dampers with R888R's, I was very impressed on how much more momentum he could carry through corners though. Kinda made me want an elise, although god I hate the interior and the massive loving sills they have.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

track day bro! posted:

Near the end of the day I was pushing pretty hard until I think the brake fluid started to boil, this was after about 30 minutes on track. The pedal went very soft with little retardation near the end of the lap, luckily there was a lot of runoff and I kinda felt the brake pedal go funny on the corner before. I decided to do a cooldown lap and the pedal slowly came back to me and by the time I'd pulled back into the pits it felt like normal.

Does this sound like the fluid boiling? Normally pad fading has the pedal feeling solid but with gently caress all braking.

It definitely sounds like boiled fluid or your brake lines flexing heavily. Possibly both. Are you running rubber lines still?