Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How many hours of PoE until you feel confident making your own builds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cheap Trick posted:

Bane is mechanically a good skill, but it doesn't have the audio-visual feedback I require. Soulrend, on the other hand, is great on both fronts.

Bane only really has that omph once you have that occultist ascendency that makes enemies under curse explode

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

How many hours of PoE until you feel confident making your own builds?

I started making my own builds after a few hundred hours. Skill setups and passive trees aren't very hard, but gearing is tricky if you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of items and their interactions. You can look at similar builds on poe.ninja to fill in the gaps, tho.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

Bane only really has that omph once you have that occultist ascendency that makes enemies under curse explode

Ahh I haven't played Occultist before, I'll remember that for next time. (I went with Trickster)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So when you hit a memory nexus loot room, now you shouldn't hit the memory stabilizer after you click the loot chests? You want to run into the altzheimer, to go back to the start of the room, right?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Hopefully this league will result in them pulling away from the management sim trend and going back to leagues where you just do the league mechanic.

And maybe spending some drat time playtesting things, because so many of the issues here remind me of bestiary in that a week of playtesting would have shown them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

megalodong posted:

Hopefully this league will result in them pulling away from the management sim trend

I hope so

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cheap Trick posted:

Ahh I haven't played Occultist before, I'll remember that for next time. (I went with Trickster)

Yeah its the Profane Bloom node

quote:

Cursed Enemies you or your Minions Kill have a 25% chance to Explode, dealing a quarter of their maximum Life as Chaos Damage
Your Curses can apply to Hexproof Enemies

Feel like Bane is more a secondary skill for trickster, maybe alongside something like Soulrend.

But yeah enjoying my run so far with Occultist Bane

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm surprised there hasn't been a village building league yet

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

boredsatellite posted:

Feel like Bane is more a secondary skill for trickster, maybe alongside something like Soulrend.

This is me. Bane for trash and cursing bosses, Soulrend for bosses (and firing blindly down tight corridors to kill trash off-screen).

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Baller Time posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a village building league yet

That would be pretty rad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

what would villages do that hideouts dont?

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Harvest moon league when

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Path of Exile: A Darker Rune Factory

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Remember when I complained about map drop rates being a major problem in this league?

Such vindication.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Everyone complains about map drops. Every league. It's tradition.

Just so happens that this time they're right.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Nah, this league definitely felt rougher and more difficult to progress. Building a pool is always a slog, it's always a grind, but this league I ran my first set of t1s which all came from story without a single map drop and just immediately started buying maps then. I've never bought white maps en masse before, maybe 1 or 2 per tier tops, and this league was clearly different.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
I like the management sim aspect personally, it's the half-assed crafting mechanic from this league that's making me want to quit. I'm a lovely player so I'll never be rich enough to seriously craft, if they want to push crafting so hard they should offer an SSF equivalent with increased drop rates that can't convert to trade.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so is bane/soulrend occultist a legit good build? maybe bane as main skill, blight/cwc/soulrend to get around the awful soulrend cast speed?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Bane occultist is a legit good build, and there are tons of good written guides on the forums, YouTube guides, and poe.ninja will do you right with many examples.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It is a shame about synthesizing and related bugs/features, I really like the fitting together puzzle pieces map building part of synthesis. I'm usually easy to please, though. I've played on and off since bestiary and never found a league I actually disliked, just ones I've engaged less (bestiary release).

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm lucky that a dud league hit when I'm still in the noob phase... I just want to run Red Maps regularly this league so I can keep pushing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Vasudus posted:

Everyone complains about map drops. Every league. It's tradition.

Just so happens that this time they're right.

Doubling down I see.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol first hit was a ghazzy video where he says do not play bane occultist

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Realistically I hope they spend a league cycle just integrating everything together better. Or new small things like div cards or breachstones instead of the big side-games like the last few have been.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm playing this trickster occultist build and now that I have permanent onslaught it's really come online. One cast of soulrend that I chase around with shield charge clears multiple rooms and it feels REAL good.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2333153

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Dumptab question, do you unveil all your veiled items as well? I've noticed people attempting to buy the ones I missed for 1c each. Is there a reason they are doing this? Or are they just gambling that I missed something good?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Zotix posted:

Dumptab question, do you unveil all your veiled items as well? I've noticed people attempting to buy the ones I missed for 1c each. Is there a reason they are doing this? Or are they just gambling that I missed something good?

You need to unveil things to unlock bench mods. At 1c a pop I'd probably buy some too, just to get that moving; there are way fewer Syndicate encounters now AND they appear to have cut in half how much progress you get by unveiling each one, so it's going to take forfuckingever to get the top tiers of a bunch of them.

On the other hand it does make Aisling more valuable in safehouses since you do want the trash rares with veils on them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zotix posted:

Takes 4 unveilings now apparently. So rolling the dice for a hits can't be evaded or other enchants at 1c a pop can be worth it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm... not sure why they increased the time it took to unlock veiled mods, considering it took a while when Betrayal was the main league and now it's 1/12th as frequent. Do they want people to sit in trade chat to find people to craft for them, and gamble on them not just stealing the item that needs the mod?

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I'm... not sure why they increased the time it took to unlock veiled mods, considering it took a while when Betrayal was the main league and now it's 1/12th as frequent. Do they want people to sit in trade chat to find people to craft for them, and gamble on them not just stealing the item that needs the mod?

Considering how much the devs love friction in their ARPG, yes, that's a possibility.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I kind of feel like they're trying to make it so you can't get everything you need out of the league in two weeks

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Mathil made the point that I agree with that new leagues don't have to be so massive with all of the current leagues in. Either remove essence and some stuff from core or make new leagues much smaller and lower commitment to interact with.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would be fine with this league if they removed the memory nexus entirely and we just had cool lore incursions that dropped fractured items. And talking to Cavas brought up the synth prompt. And that there were considerably reduced tiers for synthetic items.

None of those will happen though, so good luck GGG.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I hope the new masters stick around for a while (though I hear betrayal needs adjustment in the rate at which you get safehouses), I like taking a break from maps for a quick temple or some delving.

Also that's a good point about Cavas and Synthing, it sucks to have a whole extra load screen just to throw some items together.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The problem with removing essence is that we have the essence tab. I can just imagine the skree'ing of reddit if essence is removed and the tab just sits there, taunting.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Do we ever get any information about Cavas himself? The memories seem to correspond to different characters- Niko complaining about mining yellow rocks, Navali? tripping balls in the jungle, Daresso in the arena, Merveil in her caves etc

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

gonadic io posted:

Mathil made the point that I agree with that new leagues don't have to be so massive with all of the current leagues in. Either remove essence and some stuff from core or make new leagues much smaller and lower commitment to interact with.

Agreed but like if they rotate out leagues they have to do the big ones. If you take out essence, or even abyss/breach it won't make enough of a difference. You have to rotate the ones that actually require you to do something outside the map. I think that going forward if they want to keep up these complicated league mechanics then they have to more heavily simplify them when they go core.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

Do we ever get any information about Cavas himself? The memories seem to correspond to different characters- Niko complaining about mining yellow rocks, Navali? tripping balls in the jungle, Daresso in the arena, Merveil in her caves etc
Yes, keep progressing through Zana's quest and it'll trigger some events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I really should have went and bought a 6l loreweave a few days ago when they were 3+ ex cheaper. Ah well. Instead I am wearing a quickie fossil crafted chest that cost me maybe 50c to make, cost of the base included. EV chests are way loving cheap compared to ES chests this league.

Hit 94 and beat shaper yesterday with ice nova cocsassion. I want to try and make this guy my first ever uber elder killer, as he has a decent combination of damage and survivability. I mean, he isn't a HoWA jugg or anything, but I am not dying much and should be able to hit 95 today or tomorrow. The combination of fortify all the time, enfeeble aura, blind on hit, phase acro, and good life leech feels reasonably strong.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FilthyMonkey/characters?characterName=MonkeyNeed

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 18, 2019