Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Panzer Skank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Dex01 and Dazzling Addar, both largely retired but they did a lot of good work in their time.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Second time I've brought her up recently, but AccountingNightmare has done LPs here in the past and still streams pretty often. I'm really hoping with the release of the new DMC that she does another LP. I guess only time will tell.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Crumps Brother posted:

Second time I've brought her up recently, but AccountingNightmare has done LPs here in the past and still streams pretty often. I'm really hoping with the release of the new DMC that she does another LP. I guess only time will tell.

Seconding this. I remember enjoying her DMC1 and DMC3 LPs, though they're pretty old now and it's possible the video quality isn't great by modern standards.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I like KatherineOfSky's Factorio videos whenever I needs to update myself on what's going on in that game, she's very soothingly OCD and very good at building giant complex monster factories. As there's just been a new patch she's got a new unmodded vanilla series just starting up for it.

You really have to like nerdy building and logistics games to enjoy her channel though, and the games she plays are slow enough that they're probably best watched mainly by listening in the background with the occasional glance.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Seconding this. I remember enjoying her DMC1 and DMC3 LPs, though they're pretty old now and it's possible the video quality isn't great by modern standards.

She's been streaming the series under various challenge conditions on her Youtube channel, so even if they're not as indepth as her original LPs, they're definitely as fun.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
drat, forgot about Accounting Nightmare since she hasn't posted here in so long, but she used to be my favorite. Gotta add in Yosheque for doing similarly masterful LPs of the Bayonetta series.

Also Devious Vacuum only did one LP but she's wonderful.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 8, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AllisonByProxy posted:

Can anyone recommend some good women in the LP business? My sub feed is predominantly men and I'd love to correct that.

SubponticatePoster

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Genocyber hasn't posted in LP for a while, but I still go back occasionally to watch what she did for Bloodborne and Salt & Sanctuary. She also got me into Sundered, despite that game having notable flaws like how it did air combat.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It's International Women's Day, so I'm gonna bring up a few more women of LP. Genghis and Shaw don't post here, but they're both hilarious Canadian artists who love adventure games and have covered a ton of them.

Also Pete and Amy are a very funny married LP duo, Amy did the editing and I've stolen some of her methods because they were really good. Like almost everyone listed so far, they're on extended LP hiatus, but there's plenty of back catalogue.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Seconding this, her DA:I and Mass Effect lps are great!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does anyone have good recs for blind but with a backseat who knows what's up to keep things from getting obnoxious?

I've watched a few recently and want more. Already seen the Geop ones, but stuff like that.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

A Sometimes Food posted:

Does anyone have good recs for blind but with a backseat who knows what's up to keep things from getting obnoxious?

I've watched a few recently and want more. Already seen the Geop ones, but stuff like that.

If own-horn-tooting is allowed, my friend and I have done a whole bunch of puzzle games with this concept, like Fez, Braid, Portal 2, The Talos Principle (although unfinished), and our current run of Return of the Obra Dinn.

e: also you probably have already seen these because they're Internet Ancient™, but Slowbeef's old Metroid Prime LPs are fantastic examples of this type that are definitely closer to what Geop does than our stuff.

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 9, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Goddamn, supergreatfriend did a fantastic Siren LP. Can someone point me toward a good one for the second game? I was hoping he'd done it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

Goddamn, supergreatfriend did a fantastic Siren LP. Can someone point me toward a good one for the second game? I was hoping he'd done it.

The only one I'm aware of is by Egomaniac, who also did his own translation for it. Original links are dead, but it's on the Internet Archive.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Siren 2 did receive an English release, but only in Europe for some reason. Given how easy emulation is these days, I'm genuinely surprised no one's tried tackling it since. Makes more sense than translating the game from scratch, at least.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Siren 2 did receive an English release, but only in Europe for some reason. Given how easy emulation is these days, I'm genuinely surprised no one's tried tackling it since. Makes more sense than translating the game from scratch, at least.
Sadly it's a fairly buggy game in PCSX2 and it's not a game where you want to be hampered by semi-constant jankiness in an emulator.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, the emulator leaves huge black lines on the screen and it's not a popular enough game/series that it's likely to get much attention on fixing that. Plus, with Pierre Taki's (Major Misawa's) arrest the other day the odds of it ever getting an HD digital release like the first game just plummeted to about .00001%.

Really, there isn't that much text and dialogue so translating wasn't a huge chore. Not like, say, a 40-hour RPG and all its sidequests... :cripes:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

From what I understand, it's not difficult to get a PAL console running on an NTSC TV nowadays. It certainly isn't difficult the other way around, and modern TVs generally support both 50 and 60Hz regardless of region (and so do capture devices) so all you need is something to convert the power.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Anyone know about any chill vanilla Minecraft LP's without any heavy editing? Something akin to the old X's Adventures in Minecraft series but with the current version/feature set.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Etho's still around, although he's a bit burned out on vanilla for now. Probably better to start from something like episode 500 for the latest world tour video, or 507 for the start of the 1.13 content. Or just watch 412 videos starting from 2011 when he created his current world.

He's good for falling asleep to, which isn't a criticism.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Tooting my own horn here:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Blind

My co-commentator told me that my pathological desire to hit every candle in the game was rather annoying though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Natural 20 posted:

Tooting my own horn here:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Blind

My co-commentator told me that my pathological desire to hit every candle in the game was rather annoying though.

If you're not hitting every candle you're not playing Castlevania right. :colbert:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
A shame that Gamesaresupernice got himself banned and his Mighty Number 9 LP locked, I have a fondness for LPs that look at games that haven't really been explored that heavily and really dive deep into what makes them tick.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Mighty Number 9 shouldn't have to compromise it's artistic integrity for people with disabilities" is the absolute most galaxy brain hill I've ever seen someone die on, and I'm the guy committed to dying on the hill of "Metal Gear Survive is actually very good"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Huh. That's at least original.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I can't believe GSN died fighting over Mighty Number 9.

He could have at least died fighting on the hill of a good game...

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Danaru posted:

"Mighty Number 9 shouldn't have to compromise it's artistic integrity for people with disabilities" is the absolute most galaxy brain hill I've ever seen someone die on, and I'm the guy committed to dying on the hill of "Metal Gear Survive is actually very good"

As far as I can tell his hill was more "Gamers are entitled whiners if they don't appreciate literally all games." It just came to a head with MN9 because he apparently really likes it, and most people really don't. The other games he LPed were mostly relatively niche titles, from what I remember, not high profile flops.

senrath fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 18, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

senrath posted:

"Gamers are entitled whiners if they don't appreciate literally all games."

They have a lot of pretty heavy real life things on their plate at the moment. This came from a place of anger and GASN did regret saying it. The forums were an additional stressor that GASN did not want or need at this time so they asked me to ban their account. If they want back when things are better, I told them to contact me for a ban reversal. In the meantime, I hope they take care of themselves.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

In which case I hope things get better for them.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
I know TDI did the definitive SSLP of Drakengard 1, but are there any good VLPs of the game?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MonstrousMouse posted:

I know TDI did the definitive SSLP of Drakengard 1, but are there any good VLPs of the game?
This guy started one with promise, but it didn't go anywhere. Pester him and maybe he'll pick it back up?!

For me, it was worth just the few existing videos to see how the game looks in motion - maybe that's all you want?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rasen Bran did a good playthrough (as good as you can for a game like Drakengard, at least). Cuts out all the meandering and covers some of the stuff that was left on the cutting room floor. Shame about that other one though, I was really enjoying it.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Any recommendations for a thorough, informative LP of Metal Gear Solid? Ideally also the sequels?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Greyarc posted:

Any recommendations for a thorough, informative LP of Metal Gear Solid? Ideally also the sequels?
Chip Cheezum. His MG LP's are funny and very informative. Find 'em in the Archive.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

SubponticatePoster posted:

Chip Cheezum. His MG LP's are funny and very informative. Find 'em in the Archive.

Gotta admit, ignored this one earlier because the links went to a personal site, but looking again turns out the videos are hosted on Youtube. I'll give them a go, thanks! :cheers:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The LPs by Chip and Ironicus are considered the definitive MGS LPs, but I also want to give a shoutout to the MGS3 LP by ChaosArgate and Jobbo Fett which is excellent in its own right.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I would also recommend checking out RJWaters2's LP of MGS as it is also very funny and goes into a lot of detail. It even features Codec conversations in real time which is both an interesting and very nice touch. (Also be sure to check out both versions of each update as they are basically two different playthroughs with Non-codec being the expert run and Codec the highly detailed but goofy run.) The only problem with it is that updates come at irregular intervals, but that's mostly due the sheer amount of work RJ puts into each update and real life stuff. Like for real, this LP deserves a lot more love than it's currently getting.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 21, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Greyarc posted:

Gotta admit, ignored this one earlier because the links went to a personal site, but looking again turns out the videos are hosted on Youtube. I'll give them a go, thanks! :cheers:

Chip's MGS LPs are pretty much the blueprint for what LPs should be. Enjoy! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Sweet, thanks, I will take a look at these as well. More perspectives are always nice.

Rarity posted:

Chip's MGS LPs are pretty much the blueprint for what LPs should be. Enjoy! :)
Looking forward to it!