Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

As opposed to what? How else do you say Kara? :confused:

Keera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tiggum posted:

As opposed to what? How else do you say Kara? :confused:

Like Sara.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently they're happy with the lady who is going to play Jimmy's sister because she's been made a series regular for next season even though she hasn't shown up yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently they're happy with the lady who is going to play Jimmy's sister because she's been made a series regular for next season even though she hasn't shown up yet.

Is her name jimmy too? Since it looks like they're about to be down a Jimmy Olsen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think it is Jenny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Is her name jimmy too? Since it looks like they're about to be down a Jimmy Olsen

God Smallville was terrible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

I think it is Jenny.

Supergirl's Gal Jenny Olsen?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Alex is going to hook up with Jimmy's sister isn't she?
And lol at the show taking shots at Mon-El.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

"Dam it."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Miss Tessmacher, no!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

We ever getting back to Russian Supergirl?

e: oh there she is lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jon Cryer was a very entertaining Lex.

:rip: Manchester. But maybe it was someone else with an image inducer :v:

howe_sam posted:

Miss Tessmacher, no!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 18, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Everyone keeps wondering how Supergirl's gonna end the season when the villain is something as broad as racism and I wonder if maybe Lex is here to just drastically change things from an uncomfortable/weird allegory of the times to good old fashioned ~fantasy~ racism. Either way I hope Lex gets to tell Agent Liberty and the chuds that their poo poo is pathetic and if they really hated aliens they'd build a mech.

Maybe some of them will realize that being on the side of Lex Luthor means you're on the wrong side of history...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Jon Cryer was a very entertaining Lex.

:rip: Manchester. But maybe it was someone else with an image inducer :v:

Yeah I don't think Manchester would go down so anticlimactically. He's definitely gonna be back. And with that whole "I'm in your head, J'onn" they're definitely setting it up for Manchester to just straight up have psychic powers at the end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just airing over here, I assume Lex shot Jimmy to make Lena develop the cure.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Man, theres so much poo poo going on in this episode, with Lex and Lena working with black kryptonite for a way to save "Superman's best pal," Jimmy's sister showing up, and Manchester basically psychically hacking into J'onn's mind and using the staff from Mars, all the ironic is thick enough to cut with a knife.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Got it in one. Well, technically Lex had someone else shoot Jimmy but you know, potato potahto, Lex is still responsible for the shooting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

It's hard not to constantly hold him up against every other actor who wore the cape um... bald... but that works pretty well if he gets the support for a proper monologue outside of the trailer. If he gets the right scene around it "I was the Man of Tomorrow NOT HIM!" could be glorious.

Yeah, he nailed the role. Great episode.

What was it Manchester said as he died? I heard "you are being followed" but that doesn't make sense.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, he nailed the role. Great episode.

What was it Manchester said as he died? I heard "you are being followed" but that doesn't make sense.

"You're beautiful."

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what powers James is gonna get now that he got the cure.

Also mad props to Lex for totally flipping the script on Lena and the police, and in his old house too!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Uh only one possible power, James will become Turtleboy.

Also, lol the show trying to make people feel sorry about Lex.

But god drat, CW DC shows keep doing things where people stop and let the villain kill them when they could just shoot them. Why wasn't the squad of agents given orders "if Lex breaks free, just shoot him"? No, the single most dangerous criminal on earth, yea lets just let him walk around.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 18, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Reposting my question now that the episode has actually aired:

Argue posted:

Did the Lex Luthor ep air? I only watched the crossover eps this year, and I thought they did a really great job there with portraying Superman as a silver agey boy scout a la All Star. Does this keep up that interpretation, and would I be able to enjoy this one without having seen any of the rest of the season?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Was that really the best actor they could find to play Lex? I didn't know he was going to be on the show, and I was working on something when it came on, and it really took a little while for me to realize who he was supposed to be. I always picture Lex as the guy from the Justice League cartoon -- bigger guy, good-looking, broad-shouldered, strong-jawed, to kinda make the comparison between him and Superman more obvious. The Lex on Smallville was pretty good too, I thought, though more the slim aristocrat type. Not this nebbishy little guy with a paunch and a ratty beard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Uh only one possible power, James will become Turtleboy.

Also, lol the show trying to make people feel sorry about Lex.

One possible power?
He's fuckin Elastic Lad.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

Was that really the best actor they could find to play Lex? I didn't know he was going to be on the show, and I was working on something when it came on, and it really took a little while for me to realize who he was supposed to be. I always picture Lex as the guy from the Justice League cartoon -- bigger guy, good-looking, broad-shouldered, strong-jawed, to kinda make the comparison between him and Superman more obvious. The Lex on Smallville was pretty good too, I thought, though more the slim aristocrat type. Not this nebbishy little guy with a paunch and a ratty beard.

Well keep in mind that in this show, Lex was actually dying from kryptonite poisoning.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Vietnamwees posted:

Well keep in mind that in this show, Lex was actually dying from kryptonite poisoning.

Not in the flashback.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

He's not what I really want from a Lex Luthor but at least he's not as bad as Jesse Eisenberg.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phenotype posted:

He played the much-maligned Lenny Luthor in the also-maligned Superman 4, so that's the punchline for him playing Lex now.

I liked him; like Vietnamwees said, his performance makes sense given that the guy was supposed to be at death's door for most of the ep.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Manchester's definitely hiding in J'onns mind or that Martian collective consciousness or a 5th dimensional hat or something. Of that I have little doubt. Or he just used that staff whose powers I didn't quite understand to fake the whole thing to push J'onn.

I liked Cryer's Lex. A little understated but that's in keeping with the shows Superman. And when he went full raging megalomaniac Lex I bought it.

I'm just a little sad it feels like they're backing off Lena's villain turn. I've been looking forward to that.

Bruceski posted:

I'm surprised they didn't close the loop at the end but the logical assumption would be Miss Tessmacher did it. Then again maybe they left it open for another surprise.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was dreading John Cryer as Luthor but he rocked it.

I knew from the beginning that he was being manipulative, but I was still a bit shocked it was as evil as "I shot your ex so you'd test this stuff on him, then shut off the power because he wasn't dying fast enough to push you."

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I really enjoy that at the end Lex has both Otis and Miss Teschmacher under his control, no matter how it came about. Long live Otisberg!

I'm still annoyed they have to tack on the extra bullshit to make Manchester be cartoonishly evil so that they can make him in the wrong. I get maybe a TV show doesn't want to quite embrace "hey maybe fascists should be shut down HARD" but having Manchester try to nuke the White House and blow up a dam just so that he can be clearly labeled the bad guy really sucks.

It also felt tonally weird for Kara to be sympathetic and understanding toward J'onn for "killing" Manchester with her whole "aww buddy it's okay it doesn't detract from who you're TRYING to be" thing, considering how hardcore adamant she's always been on the no-kill rule. Which is great cause there's a few people Kara should just straight chuck into the sun, it was just an odd deviation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Fancy Hat posted:

I was dreading John Cryer as Luthor but he rocked it.

I knew from the beginning that he was being manipulative, but I was still a bit shocked it was as evil as "I shot your ex so you'd test this stuff on him, then shut off the power because he wasn't dying fast enough to push you."

The way he just casually said it really sold me on his Luthor performance.

Like of course I would have Jimmy shot and risk the lives of everyone in the hospital Lena, I'm dying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"I'm disappointed but not surprised. Which is why I had the cure administered ten minutes ago." is an obvious line but still landed great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vietnamwees posted:

I wonder what powers James is gonna get now that he got the cure.

They cut from Jimmy waking up to a light flickering outside his room and Lena pointedly noticing it.

Also, James is black. So...y’know...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

They cut from Jimmy waking up to a light flickering outside his room and Lena pointedly noticing it.

Also, James is black. So...y’know...

She was noticing the light so she'd realize that the backup generators didn't kick on because Lex rigged them, not because of powers.

Besides, Black Lightning is on Monday, CW has hit their quota of electric heroes

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Jimmy becomes the Black Lightning in Supergirl's universe and then is erased after Crisis.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Did we know that dude with the image inducer has been working for lex all along? I remember him radicalizing Lockwood at the beginning of the season but there was a bunch of stuff in the opening recap I didn't remember, I may have skipped an episode somewhere.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

pile of brown posted:

Did we know that dude with the image inducer has been working for lex all along? I remember him radicalizing Lockwood at the beginning of the season but there was a bunch of stuff in the opening recap I didn't remember, I may have skipped an episode somewhere.

Yeah, that dude was working with Mercy Graves, they're both Lex/Lilian agents.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I remember the plot point that they formerly did security for Lena, but has it been shown that they were taking orders from anyone before this episode?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I remember the plot point that they formerly did security for Lena, but has it been shown that they were taking orders from anyone before this episode?

They weren't explicitly working for someone else when they backed Liberty, but Otis and Mercy were called out as being Lex's henchmen before he was arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there was a very subtle subplot all season about someone pulling strings.
- The Graves helping Lockwood get going with the Agents of Liberty.
- Lockewood getting his show.
- The Graves exposing the Prez and the VP being an alien chud.
- That thing where the alien black ops squad was getting assassinated or something.
- Last week's spaceship shooting satellite.

Its been really low key but I think there's been a thing where the Graves clearly had a backer and deeper agenda, President Wonder Woman talked about backroom politics stuff, and Alex's boss keeps implying that she's not actually the bad guy and there's shady poo poo happening above her paygrade. This episode seemed to say that its been Lex manipulating events all season all the way up to the Vice President.

The show just went a little TOO subtle with that storyline and I think it got kind of lost under the Children of Liberty/Manchester Black stuff.