Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Goffer posted:

Aren’t all three of those character traits from top gun Tom cruise?

He's a wisecracking smartass with the talent to back that up. Literally the embodiment of his callsign. I don't remember him ever being a stoic hardass. Been a while since I've watched Top Gun though so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

teagone posted:

He's a wisecracking smartass with the talent to back that up. Literally the embodiment of his callsign. I don't remember him ever being a stoic hardass. Been a while since I've watched Top Gun though so :shrug:

People are like onions, see? Some people have a protective layer of wisecracking which hides their core stoic nature, some people a protective stoic layer which hides a whimsical nature underneath.

Tom cruise is no. 1, idk about cap marvel as I haven’t seen it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For the record I thought she was a free spirited and incredibly determined person who had been trained and brainwashed into being a stoic condescending hardass. The movie is kind of about her true nature asserting itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean she is a military pilot turned space cop and the times she acts hardass are the times I'd expect either of those groups to act hardass. Nobody is quippy 24/7 not even Marvel characters except Tony Stark.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Goffer posted:

People are like onions, see? Some people have a protective layer of wisecracking which hides their core stoic nature, some people a protective stoic layer which hides a whimsical nature underneath.

Tom cruise is no. 1, idk about cap marvel as I haven’t seen it

Top Gun is a movie I don't care to explore, but I've never thought of Tom Cruise's character as "stoic" in that film. He's a headstrong renegade to the core. Either way, Carol was portrayed as sassy and confident, with a tinge of volatility. Larson's performance doesn't particularly communicate those traits in compelling fashion, but I got what they were doing with the character. I liked Larson in Room, and think she's a solid actress, so I blame the writers/directors for Carol's personality coming across as :geno: for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

For the record I thought she was a free spirited and incredibly determined person who had been trained and brainwashed into being a stoic condescending hardass. The movie is kind of about her true nature asserting itself.

I'd also call her willfully contrarian. Steve Rogers gets up every time he's knocked down because it's the right thing to do. Carol Danvers, at least in this depiction, gets up every time she's knocked down because gently caress you if you think she's beaten.

I think a lot of her personality comes across in her smirks and body language, more than when she's actually talking.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

I'd also call her willfully contrarian. Steve Rogers gets up every time he's knocked down because it's the right thing to do. Carol Danvers, at least in this depiction, gets up every time she's knocked down because gently caress you if you think she's beaten.

I think a lot of her personality comes across in her smirks and body language, more than when she's actually talking.
I wish some of that had been more consistent. I like the idea of her character but I think due to the writing it didn’t come across as well as it could have.

I also felt like they glossed over a lot of her ‘past life’ too quickly and that takes away from her development a bit as a character

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cythereal posted:

Carol Danvers, at least in this depiction, gets up every time she's knocked down because gently caress you if you think she's beaten.

Spitefully heroic might be the best role model we need right now, so I approve.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Samuringa posted:

Spitefully heroic might be the best role model we need right now, so I approve.

Yeah this was my takeaway as well. I mean I probably wouldn't say "spitefully" but I definitely got the impression of someone who gets up when she's knocked down not because she's taking the weight of the world on her shoulders but because she simply refuses to let herself be beaten by anybody. And Lurdiak's point goes back to the very first bits of the movie where Jude Law keeps telling her "you have to control your emotions, you're too emotional, you'll never beat me if you let your emotions get the better of you" except it turns out that's all horseshit and she beats him at the end by being herself and doing things her way (by shooting him into a mountainside with space lasers).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah this was my takeaway as well. I mean I probably wouldn't say "spitefully" but I definitely got the impression of someone who gets up when she's knocked down not because she's taking the weight of the world on her shoulders but because she simply refuses to let herself be beaten by anybody. And Lurdiak's point goes back to the very first bits of the movie where Jude Law keeps telling her "you have to control your emotions, you're too emotional, you'll never beat me if you let your emotions get the better of you" except it turns out that's all horseshit and she beats him at the end by being herself and doing things her way (by shooting him into a mountainside with space lasers).

And just by reading your post I realize that plays into the whole 'women are have emotions' complaint Certain People have and that they use it as a negative.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Keep in mind too that both in the finale and that original spar, she beats him both times with her power aka “being emotional”. It’s not subtle

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And that Carol's entire life has been men telling her she's too emotional, she needs to smile more, she's not good enough to do what men do, and every time she's pressed on regardless.

I'm ambivalent but supportive of the gay subtext between Carol and Maria in this movie, but what stuck out for me about their relationship is that Maria, Monica, and Mar-Vell are the only people in her entire life who have never been anything but supportive of her (Fury and Talos come around). These women are her family, especially as the movie notes that Carol is estranged from her parents.

I also noted in CineD that one of the things that most stuck out about this movie for me was how much plain old fun Carol is having. She's snarking and grinning and laughing for most of the movie, and when her powers unlock in the climax you can hear her whooping and yelling and having a great old time as she saves the planet. I credit a lot of that to Brie Larson, and the sheer attitude Carol has in the movie, and it's for me very refreshing in a superhero movie. Carol Danvers is one of the very few supers of the modern superhero movie era who seems to love having superpowers, love using them, and what angst she has is completely unconnected to the fact that she can body slam battleships in orbit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I like the idea of her character but I think due to the writing it didn’t come across as well as it could have.

It's the most comic-faithful adaptation of a Marvel character yet! :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it was too dark when she killed an entire ship full of people. I mean imagine if Superman killed somebody in one of his movies people would lose their mind

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think it was too dark when she killed an entire ship full of people. I mean imagine if Superman killed somebody in one of his movies people would lose their mind

She stole that man's motorcycle she is a menace! :argh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aliens don't count as people in movies.

You can just kill them and it's fine. Like nazis, PMCs, and anyone who gets into hand to hand combat wearing a suit and tie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They had just launched a bunch of planet killer bombs at earth, what did we think she was gonna do, give em a stern talking to

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

Aliens* don't count as people in movies.

You can just kill them and it's fine. Like nazis, PMCs, and anyone who gets into hand to hand combat wearing a suit and tie.

*also people from the middle East or disabled US veterans

Oh wait if aliens don't count then Superman didn't kill anyone

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually enjoyed Captain Marvel more as the movie got on. I really enjoyed the Earth-based stuff as it developed/revealed more about Carol. Good chemistry with Fury and Monica. I really hope to see Monica prominently featured in the sequel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really though, those ships don't seem to have a crew in Guardians. So she killed a few Accusers maybe.

site posted:

They had just launched a bunch of planet killer bombs at earth, what did we think she was gonna do, give em a stern talking to

I mean, she does do that right after.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I will admit I haven't read a ton of Ms./Captain Marvel comics, but I guess I missed the part where not killing people is a key element of her character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those were planet killers? When he fired them I thought they were but then when she threw them into each other the result was no more impressive than the bomb Tony showed off from the beginning of Iron Man 1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Their goal was to exterminate the Skrulls on the planet, so maybe they wouldn't destroy the planet, but there probably wouldn't be much in the way of life left after they all hit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They were at least the first volley, and would have presumably spread out closer to the surface. I never gave it much thought, because it felt more like a fun nod towards Missile Command than a serious plot beat.

We got Galaga (Avengers), Space Invaders {Guardians of the Galaxy), and Missile Command (Captain Marvel) so far.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They need to move on to non space shooters like Donkey Kong

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought people were less bothered about Zod and more about Supes not seeming to give much of a drat about the civilians in the buildings he was punching Zod through. Or am I baited into talking about some bad movie?

Anyway pretty much all of the MCU heroes kill bad guys, kinda a limitation of the power set if your main ability is blowing stuff up. Maybe all the Kree ships were autonomous and everyone made it to a lifepod idk.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They need to move on to non space shooters like Donkey Kong

Thor scaling a skyscraper to get to a rampaging Hulk, smashing barrels with his hammer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the problem is, as Rich Evans once said, if you're gonna have Superman kill somebody, you should probably establish that he doesn't like doing that earlier in the film, and not have him screaming in rage while he does it.

Then again I wouldn't have Batman shooting guns either so maybe I just don't get film-making like Fired Legend Zack Snyder.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

They were at least the first volley, and would have presumably spread out closer to the surface. I never gave it much thought, because it felt more like a fun nod towards Missile Command than a serious plot beat.

We got Galaga (Avengers), Space Invaders {Guardians of the Galaxy), and Missile Command (Captain Marvel) so far.

Let's introduce Black Knight so we can get Joust.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jesus christ, thread, Borland got you discussing MoS! Pull up!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lurdiak posted:

I think the problem is, as Rich Evans once said, if you're gonna have Superman kill somebody, you should probably establish that he doesn't like doing that earlier in the film, and not have him screaming in rage while he does it.

Then again I wouldn't have Batman shooting guns either so maybe I just don't get film-making like Fired Legend Zack Snyder.

That's incredibly dumb. "Screaming in rage" lol. Rich is more smoothbrained than I recalled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Their goal was to exterminate the Skrulls on the planet, so maybe they wouldn't destroy the planet, but there probably wouldn't be much in the way of life left after they all hit.

Yeah. The Accusers' preferred method of exterminating Skrulls seemed to be 'rigorous carpet bombing.'

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That's more or less brought up explicitly in the movie.

"Tell us where she is-"

"So you can loving Exterminatus the planet like every other time you find a Skrull?"

Paraphrased, obviously.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, she does do that right after.

Lol okay fair but telling the kree to gently caress off plays a lot better after you've demonstrated that you can easily obliterate a fleet

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's incredibly dumb. "Screaming in rage" lol. Rich is more smoothbrained than I recalled.

I contend that it is your brain that is smooth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I contend that it is your brain that is smooth.

He's clearly screaming in grief due to having to do it. It's not even subtext. It's text. He also literally breaks down crying after he does it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guess I'll need to rew-ahahahahaha.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Guess I'll need to rew-ahahahahaha.

The movie has enough issues all by itself without having to make up some that actually just make you look like you don't understand what emotions are or how to tell them apart.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Remember how some dude in CineD was dreaming up his idea for a Superman movie and it included Superman snapping Bizarro's neck while crying, and everyone gave him poo poo for that really dumb idea, and then Man of Steel came out and included Superman snapping Zod's neck while crying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's a series of video essays that takes a critical but levelheaded look at the MCU and its more popular issues that's worth a watch imo. They do a pretty good job informing those popular issues in a way that isn't fanboy-ish or vitriolic; they're well presented and put together, mimicking the style/feel of Every Frame a Painting's essays pretty well.

I personally agree with a lot of what the guy has to say and have echo'd similar sentiments elsewhere for some time, but he thinks Whedon is some kind of visionary filmmaker and that's a hard disagree on my end lol. But otherwise, so far the videos were a good watch. It's a three part series I believe. Here are the first two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Bq_jK0Z1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIJ4HzLiIE