Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Flesnolk posted:

I hope GRRM dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

His body can’t keep running for too much longer, prolly won’t have to wait long.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I don't think that body has ever run.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

I hope GRRM dies.

You will die before the next book is released.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Stating a universal truth isn’t edgy enough for this thread anymore

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

This would be a great threat in pretty much any other living author's thread.

In the GRRM thread it's just a really obvious matter of fact.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

I dunno, most of the reason the books are enjoyable is the political drama and the fantasy poo poo is super generic.

I agree - I'm not saying it would be good reading, just that i'm surprised his publisher isn't franchising the hell out of the writing. I'm sure they will if he dies in the near future. Paris probably doesn't give a crap ( assuming she ends up with the rights ).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kcroy posted:

I agree - I'm not saying it would be good reading, just that i'm surprised his publisher isn't franchising the hell out of the writing. I'm sure they will if he dies in the near future. Paris probably doesn't give a crap ( assuming she ends up with the rights ).

Has anyone ever done that? I mean GRRM owns the world of Westeros. You can't just license it out without his permission, and he's clearly operating under the impression that he's going to start writing again someday, or at least that's the pretense he keeps up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I take grim solace that at the inevitable death of the universe, as everything collapses back into itself, as temperatures become so high at every point within our entire potential space that atoms themselves fly apart into constituent subatomics and then into pure energy, that these books themselves will cease to be and no one will ever again be mad at the absolute fucker.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
What is GURM may never die. But writes less frequently and shittier.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I take grim solace that at the inevitable death of the universe, as everything collapses back into itself, as temperatures become so high at every point within our entire potential space that atoms themselves fly apart into constituent subatomics and then into pure energy, that these books themselves will cease to be and no one will ever again be mad at the absolute fucker.

Well, it turns out there is not enough matter for that scenario, so everything will just drift apart cooling to temperatures approaching 0K, the books never finished

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Source your quotes.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cavelcade posted:

Source your quotes.

can't tell if serious or not

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

I thought they would have her slowly getting lost as an individual, becoming "no-one" and then sent to kill Sansa. This would force an internal break ( like waking the Idahos in Dune ). In similar vein as Hodor, we'd get "Who Are You" "Who Are Ya" "Arya".

IIRC, Faceless Men don't kill people they know (in the books). It's why the captain who takes her to Braavos makes sure she remembers who he is and why she overhears the Men discussing targets and whether they know them or not. So Arya even as a full member wouldn't be sent to kill Sansa.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Which reminds me why Arya losing her warging in the show kinda sucks some air out of her storyline: her inability to truly become 'no one' is mostly due to the wolf dreams she keeps having. She can't forget Arya Stark if her past is in her head every other night in the form of Nymeria.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, Faceless Men don't kill people they know (in the books). It's why the captain who takes her to Braavos makes sure she remembers who he is and why she overhears the Men discussing targets and whether they know them or not. So Arya even as a full member wouldn't be sent to kill Sansa.

oh interesting! I didn't catch that. So I guess she couldn't kill any of the people on her list. Everyone would be a violation of their creed. Wait - then Jackin' Hard couldn't have killed those dudes he killed for Arya? Or maybe it's different when you are just off loving around on a murder spree.

You know - I was thinking it will be nice when this show ends, and I can go from "sort of waiting to see what happens" to "eh. Glad this is over"

esperterra posted:

Which reminds me why Arya losing her warging in the show kinda sucks some air out of her storyline: her inability to truly become 'no one' is mostly due to the wolf dreams she keeps having. She can't forget Arya Stark if her past is in her head every other night in the form of Nymeria.

Yeah. That is disappointing too. \

In the show why did she cut the lights to kill the waif. How does she have masterful in-the-dark powers?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

kcroy posted:

In the show why did she cut the lights to kill the waif. How does she have masterful in-the-dark powers?

You see, she was blind for a little bit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Did Arya viciously blind-fight 25+ thugs in the stairwell of a ten-storey apartment complex? No? Guess she shoulda been a lawyer.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
In the show, the faceless men literally wear masks? Even though the first time we meet Jaqen he changes his face seemlessly?

Also, Arya changing / putting on her Walder Frey mask also alters her body and voice?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

In the show, the faceless men literally wear masks? Even though the first time we meet Jaqen he changes his face seemlessly?

Also, Arya changing / putting on her Walder Frey mask also alters her body and voice?

Yeah, this is how it works in the books too

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klungar posted:

You see, she was blind for a little bit.

oh - was the cat warg book only?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

kcroy posted:

oh - was the cat warg book only?

Yes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
We've been reading LOTR to our baby so he's hearing us say more things than just "you're very handsome" and "did you just poop?". First time I've actually forced my way past the Barrows or whatever and gotta say, it's not bad.

I cannot stop laughing at the passage where Gimli gets extremely depressed thinking about how he thought having to fight people in dungeons was going to be the worst part of the journey but it turns out it sucks a lot more to sleepover in Lothlorien and have to leave lmfaooo

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So much for Theons redemption arc as his sisters protector.

Meanwhile Daenerys calls out Varys on serving whatever king was convenient despite his supposed personal morals and for trying to assassinate her.

Varys draws a complete blank at this and can't provide a satisfactory answer. When all he would really have had to do was explain that Robert wasn't a horrible king and that Daenerys at the time together with Khal Drogo was at the head of a Dothraki horde that pillaged, burned and raped their way across the lands with clear sights on Westeros.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We've been reading LOTR to our baby so he's hearing us say more things than just "you're very handsome" and "did you just poop?". First time I've actually forced my way past the Barrows or whatever and gotta say, it's not bad.

I cannot stop laughing at the passage where Gimli gets extremely depressed thinking about how he thought having to fight people in dungeons was going to be the worst part of the journey but it turns out it sucks a lot more to sleepover in Lothlorien and have to leave lmfaooo

I do genuinely enjoy how Gimli transforms from a pretty bigoted shithead into seeing the beauty of the world beyond mountains and stone, and cherishing these people he grew up hating for how different they are to him. It's the low-key best thing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Katt posted:

So much for Theons redemption arc as his sisters protector.

Meanwhile Daenerys calls out Varys on serving whatever king was convenient despite his supposed personal morals and for trying to assassinate her.

Varys draws a complete blank at this and can't provide a satisfactory answer. When all he would really have had to do was explain that Robert wasn't a horrible king and that Daenerys at the time together with Khal Drogo was at the head of a Dothraki horde that pillaged, burned and raped their way across the lands with clear sights on Westeros.

Varys just seems like another plot convenient character. It's unclear at best what he wants. Why does he even move to the Seven Kingdoms, what's in it for him? To be spymaster? He's already rich. He cares about the people? So he could plot to put Rhaegar on the throne because everyone seemed to agree that Rhaegar was pretty great, but instead plots against Rhaegar. Fanning the flames of Aerys paranoia. Why? Is he already working on his 20 year plan?

Then he counsels against opening the gates of King's Landing. Why? Doesn't he want Aegon killed? Or did he actually think Tywin was there to ally with Aegon? And why does Robert keep him on anyway? It's hard to imagine bluff simple Robert Baratheon having any sympathy for a simpering eunuch who employes spies, and the Lannisters surely wanted him gone since he'd counseled against opening the gates for them. and would represent some kind of counterbalance to their power in King's Landing.

Then he hires assassins to kill Daenerys even though he's plotting to use her to put Aegon on the throne? Why not warn Mormont, then hire the assassins? As it is it's only good luck Daenerys doesn't get killed by that "wine merchant".

After that he just tries to promote chaos in the Seven Kingdoms, which makes more sense. Oh and this whole time he's been living life as a gaoler, somehow, that the other gaolers are afraid of.

He seems like a Lucas character the way he plots.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Just about all that could be answered with "he wants to put a Blackfyre on the throne" which is one of my personal favorite theories. None of that makes sense in the show, though, so eh

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That plan will probably Blackfyre

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

we can never truly know the desires of the Mermen

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
one of your points is dumb because , he did warn mormont. the letter pardoning him was clearly taken by jorah to mean exactly waht it meant and caused him to foil the assassination

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Yeah the "assassination" was only one in so far as he told people it was, it was clearly set up to fail and provoke Drogo to invade.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

That plan will probably Blackfyre

:dudsmile:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

one of your points is dumb because , he did warn mormont. the letter pardoning him was clearly taken by jorah to mean exactly waht it meant and caused him to foil the assassination

I literally addressed this.

First, you warn Mormont. Then you hire assassins. You don't send a letter and the assassins at the same time and hope for the best.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
why not? it has the same effect either way, moving up the timeline for drogo to go west

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

why not? it has the same effect either way, moving up the timeline for drogo to go west

I guess because I don't think Drogo would invade if they assassinate her successfully. And Drogo certainly isn't going to hand power over to Aegon.

A failed assassination attempt might manipulate Drogo into invading, and elevates Mormon's stature, a successful one might keep the horses on the other side of the sea with their dumb swords and no siege engines.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
why are the dothraki primarily 'backwards sickle sword' guys

why don't they fight with horn bows like real horse people

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

why are the dothraki primarily 'backwards sickle sword' guys

why don't they fight with horn bows like real horse people

But they're not mongols, they're "Dothraki".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

If I had just watched the show I would have thought that Varys was several different characters from the books merged together for simplicity's sake, but no is indeed the spymaster that teleports around the world and physically whispers in everyone's ear at the same time.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pseudanonymous posted:

Has anyone ever done that? I mean GRRM owns the world of Westeros. You can't just license it out without his permission, and he's clearly operating under the impression that he's going to start writing again someday, or at least that's the pretense he keeps up.

That is correct, he owns the IP, and you would need his permission. However, he clearly isn't opposed to books in the westeros setting: cook books, humor books, fake history books, endless calendars... and he did it for the HBO series, of which there are more to come that he most definitely will not write. He could section off entire areas of time and location and allow other writers to work in that. He could have his fat little fingers in there as editors - and work with some real talent instead of the wildcard hacks. I mean, we've been waiting for loving books for years. we are desperate for loving books. Look at everyone who bought that goddamn fake history book.

his publisher could just offer him a fat loving wad of money - I'm sure he's rich, but the thing about money - there isn't really ever enough. He's a man with vices, and that his publisher 1) hasn't gotten a book from him before the end of this HBO show and 2) hasn't franchised this thing even harder - it's just shameful. They are weak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

If I had just watched the show I would have thought that Varys was several different characters from the books merged together for simplicity's sake, but no is indeed the spymaster that teleports around the world and physically whispers in everyone's ear at the same time.

If you had carefully read the books, you'd know that he is a merman. For all we know, mermen all look alike to us, and there are 5 of em - 1 for each major continent or whatever.