Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

AWarmBody posted:

I grew up in a US trailer park as a poor. Imagine Trailer Park boys but the park manager wasn't a raging alcoholic and instead of weed farms there was the occasional busted meth lab.

Are there any good trailer park shows or movies besides Trailer Park Boys?

Spun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

And 8 Mile

(it was okay but I haven't seen it since it came out)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I want to second Umbrella Academy. If you're somehow not completely loving done with deconstructive superhero plots this is one of the most enjoyable shows on Netflix at the moment. Basic premise is that a family of estranged superpowered siblings reunite after their adoptive father's suspicious death. It's a very fun and stylish show and the music is really top notch. It mines a lot of humor and character drama from how dysfunctional the family is, and while the writing seems pretty derivative at moments it's still a great time. My favorite characters are definitely the pair of jaded time traveling assassins wrestling with the overbearing bureaucracy of their mysterious employers.

Anyway that's my book report if you want to know how it ends you'll have to read it yourself!!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just hope it doesn't sit stalled between seasons like the comic did. It was tenish years between story arcs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate was in a bad mood yesterday, and in an attempt to lighten the mood I found a British show called Kitten Rescue. It absolutely delivers on the title, you get to watch Brits pull cats out of chimneys and whatnot.

But, I've watched two episodes, and there are amputations in both. Not the papered over, "and unfortunately they couldn't save Sima's leg so it had to be amputated" that I would have to expected. No, they actually show the amputation procedure.

I'm not a squeamish person, but I didn't really need to see how it's done. :wtc:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Riatsala posted:

I want to second Umbrella Academy. If you're somehow not completely loving done with deconstructive superhero plots this is one of the most enjoyable shows on Netflix at the moment. Basic premise is that a family of estranged superpowered siblings reunite after their adoptive father's suspicious death. It's a very fun and stylish show and the music is really top notch. It mines a lot of humor and character drama from how dysfunctional the family is, and while the writing seems pretty derivative at moments it's still a great time. My favorite characters are definitely the pair of jaded time traveling assassins wrestling with the overbearing bureaucracy of their mysterious employers.

Anyway that's my book report if you want to know how it ends you'll have to read it yourself!!!
I'm like two episodes deep and I can't shake the feeling that Umbrella Academy is basically if Wes Anderson wrote the X-men.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I'm like two episodes deep and I can't shake the feeling that Umbrella Academy is basically if Wes Anderson wrote the X-men.

It was written by the My Chemical Romance guy so checks out?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

For me, Umbrella Academy has way too much of people not doing what people would actually do in a situation; it's too much artificial drama and peoples' emotional responses never seem to fit so I never felt connected to or empathy for any character because they were so off. And the constant "all right I know the world's going to end soon but I'm gonna go masturbate in a closet for a few days just because that's what I really feel like doing, see ya." It's just a lot of ham-fisted writing, I think, like a lot of comics from the '80's, especially X-men (maybe intentional because of the source but considering Altered Carbon feels the same way to me I think there could be some personnel overlap between the two). Loved Hazel and Cha Cha though and felt compelled to finish the season for the whole story. I doubt I'd watch any subsequent seasons though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Losers is a good docuseries on Netflix. 30-40 minute stories about sports teams and athletes who faced extreme adversity in their sport, life, or both,and ultimately turned it into a positive. Good first person storytelling with some humor mixed in.

The best part is it's probably people you've never heard of and stories you don't know.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lozareth posted:

For me, Umbrella Academy has way too much of people not doing what people would actually do in a situation; it's too much artificial drama and peoples' emotional responses never seem to fit so I never felt connected to or empathy for any character because they were so off. And the constant "all right I know the world's going to end soon but I'm gonna go masturbate in a closet for a few days just because that's what I really feel like doing, see ya." It's just a lot of ham-fisted writing, I think, like a lot of comics from the '80's, especially X-men (maybe intentional because of the source but considering Altered Carbon feels the same way to me I think there could be some personnel overlap between the two). Loved Hazel and Cha Cha though and felt compelled to finish the season for the whole story. I doubt I'd watch any subsequent seasons though.

Uh...
The whole point of the show is how every member of the Hargreeves family is fundamentally broken, emotionally stunted and highly irrational.
Hazel and Cha-Cha may be the most reasonable people there and they also have a mountain of issues.

I'm not saying this is your point but I get annoyed when people don't like a character that makes a decision other than the 100% logical beep boop choice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a place to watch Red Dwarf without having to pay for another subscription service? I've already got Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't know how I've missed Layer Cake all these years.

Daniel Craig
Sienna Miller - good god she's hot in black lacy stockings :fap:
Michael Gambon
Tom Hardy(small part)
Ben Whishaw
Burn Gorman

There's a lot more people in it that im still recognizing.

quote:

Just as a successful cocaine dealer, who has earned a respected place among England's Mafia elite, eyes an early retirement from the business, big boss Jimmy Price hands down a tough assignment: find Charlotte Ryder, the missing rich princess daughter of Jimmy's old pal Edward, a powerful construction business player and gossip papers socialite. Complicating matters are two million pounds' worth of Grade A ecstasy, a brutal neo-Nazi sect and a whole series of double crossings.

netflix

e: Forgot to mention Colm Meany is in it too

Reign Of Pain has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Mar 10, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Highly recommend layer cake if you like guy Ritchie films, etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Shutter Island is on Amazon right now. Hadn't seen it in years and years and years. Perfectly serviceable movie for watching while drinking or while recovering from drinking.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Reign Of Pain posted:

I don't know how I've missed Layer Cake all these years.

Daniel Craig
Sienna Miller - good god she's hot in black lacy stockings :fap:
Michael Gambon
Tom Hardy(small part)
Ben Whishaw
Burn Gorman

There's a lot more people in it that im still recognizing.

netflix

e: Forgot to mention Colm Meany is in it too

Thanks for this rec, watched it last night intending to just watch half before bed. Ended up watching all the way through.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Your Taint posted:

Losers is a good docuseries on Netflix. 30-40 minute stories about sports teams and athletes who faced extreme adversity in their sport, life, or both,and ultimately turned it into a positive. Good first person storytelling with some humor mixed in.

The best part is it's probably people you've never heard of and stories you don't know.
Seconded, it's also a great series that shows people who failed at achieving their dream despite taking their best shot and how they turned their lives around afterwards. A good balance to the whole "you're an overnight success or you're a nobody" or "sacrifice everything for the dream and it will 100% happen" narratives. It's a more realistic lesson on life.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
The Guild

I have no clue how I had never heard about it the show since I am into MMOs but I am about half way through The Guild and I find it amusing. It is one of the few "nerd" shows that actually comes off that an MMO addict created it. If you played any MMORPGs in the late 90s to 2008 or so the show is spot on. Only thing unrealistic about it is how they are on a "locals" server and just by chance live by each other. MMORPGS are filled with broken people.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Len posted:

Is there a place to watch Red Dwarf without having to pay for another subscription service? I've already got Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu

I don't think so but the Blu Ray remasters have just been released so I'd say it's only a matter of time now it's up to modern-ish standards again.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
The Dawn Wall is on netflix and it's good. A legendary climber spends 10 years in pursuit of a route up the face of El Capitan - a climb most thought impossible. He makes this last effort with a missing index finger. If you saw "Free Solo", this is a movie about Honnald's (sane, likable) training buddy.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Love, Death, Robots is on netflix and I'd heard a poo poo ton about it so I gave it a go. It's not bad, it's basically like netflix gave 15 different teams 10k in cash and the prompt 'robots and violence' and told them to go nuts. Some of the episodes are really really painfully bad but most manage to be at least entertaining visually. I'm not in love with it and there's a ton of lovely nerd-bait sort of stuff, but there's worse ways to spend your time and we don't get to see much cool cyberpunk animation on this level anyway. So I'll enjoy it for what it is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I really liked the redneck mechs fighting aliens but I’m a sucker for that sort of juxtaposition. I’m struggling to remember half of the shorts otherwise.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bussamove posted:

I really liked the redneck mechs fighting aliens but I’m a sucker for that sort of juxtaposition. I’m struggling to remember half of the shorts otherwise.

That's the only one I skipped because the animation seemed about 8 frames per second or less.. I suppose I'll round them out though and finish it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched I’m Just loving With You on Hulu. Pretty fun horror movie; Hayes MacArthur’s pretty credible channeling of an early career Bill Paxton oddball performance is what made it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've recommended it before but I continue to love Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix.

The finales for season 2 and 3 are wild.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I've recommended it before but I continue to love Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix.

It does kind of peak a bit with the season 2 finale but season 3 is still good.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I haven't laughed at anything in a long time as I have at this show. that potato salad scene was great. I need to finish the third season.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I Think You Should Leave on Netflix is extremely funny and goes by too quick; best new sketch comedy series since Kay & Peele.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Into the Badlands is an AMC show on Netflix that I'd somehow never heard of, and it owns so hard. It's this overwrought post-post-apocalyptic feudal society full of wuxia ninjas. The cinematography is great, using a bunch of saturated colors and great set and costume designs. The plot is like a cross between anime and a soap opera sometimes but the actors go all in to sell it - Quinn in particular is just a delight to watch, chewing scenery with his lazy Southern drawl. Plus, despite the occasional slow pacing and heaviness of individual scenes, the show overall moves at a breakneck speed - there's never an episode without at least one badass sword fight and three or four dramatic plot points. The show also has a ton of really strong female characters, and not just in the Joss Whedon "they always make the final quip" milquetoast way.

Season 1 is basically a miniseries and kind of sets the whole thing in motion. Season 2 gets even better and inexplicably has Nick Frost as comic relief to take the edge off of some of the drama.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whoa, I've never heard of that but I'm into it!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I tried to get into Into the Badlands but sadly everything else about it apart from the fights are awful. There's this young chosen one guy in the first couple episodes who is just insufferable.

The fights are loving great though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

marktheando posted:

I tried to get into Into the Badlands but sadly everything else about it apart from the fights are awful. There's this young chosen one guy in the first couple episodes who is just insufferable.

The fights are loving great though.

He never gets less insufferable, really, but he does grow a lot as a character. Plus even in the first few episodes he's the only one to get Sunny to shut the hell up occasionally.

Sunny: Try focusing on something good, something pure.
MK: What in this world is pure?!
Sunny: :drat:

e: also at risk of pretty major S2 spoilers that are hinted at pretty heavily in S1 but never actually stated - he's not at all a 'chosen one', there are dozens like him that he doesn't know about and he just happened to get caught and lied his way through the first few episodes to survive. He's not a 'chosen one' so much as 'he's the only Dark One that the Widow could find for her plan, and nobody else in the Badlands seems to know that the dark ones exist'..

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Apr 25, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The plot, dialogue, action scenes, and special effects of Geostorm are hilariously bad. Surprising number of big names appear in what is essentially AAA sharknado. Would get high and watch again.
E. It’s in hbogo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Season 3 of Ash vs. Evil Dead is finally on Netflix!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Pretty much everything I've heard about Badlands is "watch the fight scene, fast forward to the next fight scene".

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Field Mousepad posted:

Pretty much everything I've heard about Badlands is "watch the fight scene, fast forward to the next fight scene".

That's a pretty fair assessment. You could always admire the scenery as well.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

mysterious frankie posted:

I Think You Should Leave on Netflix is extremely funny and goes by too quick; best new sketch comedy series since Kay & Peele.

Tried the first episode of this, and I don't know if this is a cultural thing cos I'm British, but I thought it was loving dire. Barely cracked a smile.

What We Do In The Shadows is brilliant, however. I'm glad Kayvan Novak is getting some US TV work, as he was great in Fonejacker

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah I saw the 1st ep of I Think You Should Leave and while I liked the girls in the cafe sketch, the rest of it felt like a lot of poop jokes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bogmonster posted:

Tried the first episode of this, and I don't know if this is a cultural thing cos I'm British, but I thought it was loving dire.
It's not cultural - it's loving awful.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I feel like I should recommend a sketch show I do like. Is Limmy's Show a
On US Netflix at all? If you can understand his Glaswegian accent, it's brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I just watched the first episode of The Act on Hulu and I love it. I looked up the story it's based on so ultimately l know what happens. Is the story told well, at least?

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 18:40 on May 3, 2019