Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

There's your stereotype right there... "Do me, I'm Dutch" is basically everyone in / from Amsterdam, right?

And you've just confirmed the stereotype of clueless American. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

spankmeister posted:

And you've just confirmed the stereotype of clueless American. :tipshat:

But... I'm English? :monocle:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

But... I'm English? :monocle:

Went through your history in this thread and took a 50/50 guess. I blame Theresa May tbh.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

English tourists are far worse than Americans though so I hope brexit will mean less of them will come.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there any black folk in Croatia?

Imagine being the only black guy for hundreds or thousands of miles

I’m sorry for hijacking ASF’s thread, if they don’t want me to do this I’ll stop.

Anyway, I’d say Croatia is still at the stage where there are very few black people. A buddy of mine, his dad came from Ghana, and he’s had a successful TV career so everybody knows him. The rest of them are mostly African people that came to study medicine or engineering during the :tito: years and their descendants. Some recent refugees, too, but a really insignificant number. I think the country is over 99 percent white.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

English tourists are far worse than Americans though so I hope brexit will mean less of them will come.

*fewer

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Ooh do me next, I'm Dutch.

Are you a prostitute? Or you sell :420:?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

same old stereotypes. I thought there might be some interesting ones.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Some recent refugees, too, but a really insignificant number. I think the country is over 99 percent white.

Dang

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I firmly believe English tourists come in right behind Americans in how lovely we are.

It's our colonial roots of just thinking we own whatever land is beneath our feet, expecting anyone we speak with to understand the English language, making 0 effort to learn even local pleasantries such as please, thank you, sorry, or whatever else, and complaining to holiday reps that there are 'too many foreigners' in the local area of whatever resort we stay at.

We suck. But at least we aren't American.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
poo poo. Sorry. I didn't preview and forgot you can't edit in E/N

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So this is English tourism, sort of like dental tourism

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there any black folk in Croatia?

Imagine being the only black guy for hundreds or thousands of miles

There's a half-decent african restaurant in zagreb. But other than than and some notable football players, Croatia is David Duke's wet dream, almost exclusively white.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

dpack_1 posted:

I firmly believe English tourists come in right behind Americans in how lovely we are.

It's our colonial roots of just thinking we own whatever land is beneath our feet, expecting anyone we speak with to understand the English language, making 0 effort to learn even local pleasantries such as please, thank you, sorry, or whatever else, and complaining to holiday reps that there are 'too many foreigners' in the local area of whatever resort we stay at.

We suck. But at least we aren't American.

I'd say you're worse because there seem to be more of you. Americans don't like to leave their sheltered land.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Wow, can you stupid lovely idiots not be hostile assholes to others based on their loving geographic region of birth? THANKS

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I come here for chair meat recipes, not these pee-pee races

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Also, please do Spain

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Australia.

Have a lot of Croat and Serb mates cause of. Welllll. The nineties.

Vuk was my fav workmate ever and he did heroic doses of Trams all the time ooooo god he was a bit reckless. But the best drat ticket closer on the team, naturally fired by this idiotic English boss we had! “But why is there now 4 figures on the ticket queue?”

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

stirlo posted:

Australia.

Have a lot of Croat and Serb mates cause of. Welllll. The nineties.

The expats do get along fine here too btw, it’s a ‘don’t speak about the 90s’ thing and there’s a heap of clubs where all are welcomed. No infighting. Normal fights but not about The Thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Thing is also a bit of a Thing here in Holland because of you know Sbrenica. Don't mention that pls and thank you.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

spankmeister posted:

The Thing is also a bit of a Thing here in Holland because of you know Sbrenica. Don't mention that pls and thank you.

Oh yes it’s just.. yeah. Something which the human race needed to have stopped a long time ago buuuut.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Ditto to everything you guys wrote. The black folk are so far between in Zagreb that I can't help but to stare in amazement whenever I see someone of African descent in town. Then I quickly avert my gaze because I realize how impolite is to stare. Think 1960s Japan, if you're black, I wanna take a selfie with you because you're my nigga buddy and you're so cool.

We have an old guy patrolling around the Roach Tower, he's so bored with his life that he just walks around in circles around the tower, looking for a new piece of gossip to share with everyone. He's also a literal Nazi, he hates Tito's guts and will greet you with a Heil Hitler salute (in his words, the corn is this high.) Anyway there was a black fellow living I think on the 15th floor in the Roach Tower a year or two back. He was a squirrely little guy with a red beret, no monkey attire such as pants dropped all the way to his knees for example, no way, he looked incredibly and delightfully neat. I bet he'd make for an awesome friend hadn't he left our tower block quickly. Anyway, Nazi Gramps saw him and, knowing that I make a living renting apartments out, asked me "you're not renting to that friend of the family are you?" I answered that no, he's not one of my tenants. In reality I would have had zero qualms about renting to the guy, he looked like the sort of fellow who wouldn't have made any problems for me. And I'm avoiding the hell out of Nazi Gramps, if he were any younger, I wouldn't think twice about clocking him in the face because he's one of the most annoying people I've ever met. He knows poo poo about literally everyone in the Roach Tower, I can't wait for him to drop (and I know I'm not the only one.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a new electric razor because my beard is really getting out of hand, eating greasy and smeary things is an ordeal because after the meal I look as if I puked all over myself. Mr weed is gonna go to town with the beard, there's plenty of material going and he can model something out of it with a razor, and if I don't like it, I can always just shave everything off - which was my plan anyway. I asked him to keep the mutton chops and the mustache. I will take pictures of both before and after the modeling, I bet it's gonna be fun trying out something new! The beard is not going away, I'm just having it brought back to shape.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Holy poo poo dude, what's with all the use of the n-word (even without the hard R it's unacceptable), not to mention referring to stereotypically black apparel as "monkey" attire even as you disavow a Nazi :psyboom:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

P.S. there's no such thing as a Nazi that's too old to punch

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

So you guys wanted to hear the story about how racism nearly got me stabbed in the army. Well, the prologue is really short: my grandma, who is 90, hates foreigners with a passion. If you're a kid and you're exposed to racist ramblings of your grandparents whom you love so much, then yeah, you're gonna pick up some of that racism. Simply put, my grandma turned me into a racist who hates Bosnians, on the account of them being sketchy mobster types who are profiting from country's economic woes. At least that was how grandma officially put it, I bet there is nothing rational about her hatred.

Anyways, I got drafted in the army and I suddenly found myself in a complete vacuum, surrounded by roughly eighty men in my unit, many of whom were Bosnians. They sensed my inherent weirdness and started trolling me. Unfortunately, I was an easily trollable kid back then (only 19 years old) and I'd respond with a barrage of racist insults at every opportunity which was, looking in retrospect, a really rear end thing to do.

Our unit was divided into two bedrooms with bunk beds, around 40 soldiers per bedroom. I was sleeping on the upper bunk. The thing with them is that if you were on the lower bunk, you could easily kick down whoever was sleeping on the upper bunk. I guess that our Bosnians got tired of me talking poo poo every day, so one night I got kicked out from my bed, I banged my head against the metal bedpost as I was falling to the ground. Then one guy grabbed me, putting his arm over my face so I wouldn't scream, while the other guy was punching away at my person as if I were a punching bag. I was totally pinned down and taking serious damage, so I did the only thing I could do, opening my mouth and biting the poo poo out of the guy who kept me pinned down. It was pitch dark in the bedroom, but I realized who were the culprits when this guy started shrieking like a bitch after I bit him. This totally confused the guy who was punching me, so they let go of me.

The culprits were two guys, a Bosnian guy named Jasmin and a Croat hick whom we called Bumbar (lit. bumblebee) because he was big burly fellow with yellow hair - I bit him and the bite got infected, so he had to put antibiotic ointment on the bite. You could tell that he was your stereotypical village fighter, and his pride was hurt massivelly when a scrawny town kid shipped him off to the sick bay. I knew that this was now personal.

For conscripts, the last night in the army before release is a night of horrors and wonders. You're legally neither a soldier nor a civilian on that night, and nobody is in charge of your personal safety. The soldiers know this, so it's a night where people are beaten to pulp, especially lance corporals who gave a hard time to other conscripts. Nothing is forgotten and I know some people who were so badly beaten that they ended up eating through the straw in the hospital.

I knew that I'm slated for the beating, especially as several people warned me; Fatbeard, Bumbar is waiting you with a knife. So not only was I in for a beating, a pissed burly guy was waiting for me with a knife, niiice.

The problem was solvable, I got into an agreement with my commanding officer that I would spend the entire night on firewatching duty, well away from the bedroom. I saw that my (empty) bed was kicked down and that they were looking at me, but I was safe, away on the fire duty. I haven't slept at all that night, meaning that I was horribly tired by the morning. We were then grouped and put into buses that took us to different army bases, ie taking me to safety. I was so tired that I fell asleep the moment I boarded the bus, especially because I felt safe after such a long time.

Then it got me thinking, sure these guys punched the hell out of me, but they haven't used any weapons - they were obviously trying to teach me that you can't talk poo poo if you don't have the fists to back it up. Besides racism being a really nasty thing to practice in reality.

So when I was shipped off to another base, I tried a new doctrine: shut up and lurk more. The results were astounding to say the least. I made best friends with the new crew in the baroque town of Varaždin, nobody ever tried to hurt me, hell, I wasn't even trolled. From that point on, it's how I learned to behave: cut your mouth short and just listen.

I can now make friends with just about anyone and, to make things better, my best friend, for whom I'd give my life away - is a Bosnian.

Those Internet racists should just get beaten by a burly black fellow, I bet they wouldn't talk so much poo poo afterwards. See how I made a 180 degree turn? All the people are wonderful critters, I feel unburdened by racism.

Sorry if this post reads a bit disjointed, I took one puff too many but I'm still up and working. :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Holy poo poo dude, what's with all the use of the n-word (even without the hard R it's unacceptable), not to mention referring to stereotypically black apparel as "monkey" attire even as you disavow a Nazi :psyboom:

It's just your run of the mill east european point of view. I'm not burdened by racism at all and there are no malevolent thoughts behind my words. You americans worry way too much about offending someone. :)

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Remember the language barrier and regional differences. Mr Fatbeard responds well to being corrected on usage of slang.

That old guy sounds awful. At least he’s open about it so you know to avoid him.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ParserGirl posted:

Mr Fatbeard responds well to being corrected on usage of slang.
Lol guess you didn't preview!

It's not a language barrier, some of the poo poo he says can only be picked up from hanging out in Stormfront-level insanely racist places. His racism, and racism in general, is not wacky or retro-funny or ironically cool. We are like two days out from the murder of 50 people due to extremely online racism.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Lol guess you didn't preview!

You would be correct.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

It's just your run of the mill east european point of view. I'm not burdened by racism at all and there are no malevolent thoughts behind my words. You americans worry way too much about offending someone. :)

There's two parts to the fine art of not being racist. There is the theoretical-ideological part of it and there is the practical part of it, having real actual experience with folks of other ethnicities and stuff, sometimes in situations where they have power over you, etc. Many Singaporeans have the practical part down but not the theoretical part: many Vermonters (excluding Bernie cuz he grew up in Brooklyn) have the theoretical part down but not the practical part because they don't meet enough people of other ethnicities

Asfb, in this domain you are a genuine ivory tower idiot. In this case you are like the computer scientist who can't actually code or a research doctor who can't actually treat patients. So you will need to shut the gently caress up.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Asfb, in this domain you are a genuine ivory tower idiot. In this case you are like the computer scientist who can't actually code or a research doctor who can't actually treat patients. So you will need to shut the gently caress up.

You know what, you're correct. What I've written this morning is dumb beyond belief and I'm not even going to try to defend it.

Cue a string of fifteen-ish posts in which I'm desperately trying to one-up myself as not racist but actually making even more of a mess with each post. So I'm not gonna do.... that.

So now we know that a combination of weed and xanax results in bad posts, especially if you forget that you're not on ED. Mods, I'm ready for punishment!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

spankmeister posted:

same old stereotypes. I thought there might be some interesting ones.

Dutch, huh? So are you in that pedophile party?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

So now we know that a combination of weed and xanax results in bad posts, especially if you forget that you're not on ED. Mods, I'm ready for punishment!

It's nice to see The Roseanne Barr Defence being used so soon.

(that's sarcasm)

In reality, I feel that what you said was treading the fine line. Quoting someone saying something racist without censoring the slur is bordering acceptable, it's not YOU saying it, you are quoting someone and in turn saying you do not agree with the statement and in fact admonish the old guy for it, though you could censor what he said and that is a different argument altogether.

But saying "you're my n* buddy" as a non POC or at the very least someone that grew up in the projects in which the slang was empowered by those it was meant to oppress is definitely across the line.

Though with that said, I agree with ParserGirl, you do respond well when it's pointed out your use of a 2nd language is inappropriate. I think a lot of people forget you basically taught yourself how to speak / write in English by way of the internet and modern media, which is inherently racist and so sometimes you say things out of ignorance. It's how you respond to the correction that matters most so don't beat yourself up too much, just live and learn I guess.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think it's unfair to ask someone from another culture who doesn't speak English as a first language about racial and cultural stereotypes and then punish him when he doesn't know exactly the right lines to draw in description about eg racism without his writing becoming racist.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I feel really embarrassed now. I honestly thought that "my nigga" is a friendly term, and goons somehow know that I never mean any harm in my posts. So I guess, thank you guys for pointing this out before I used the term in real life. I wrote the n-word fully in order to demonstrate just how racist Nazi Gramps really is.

I don't like to be forced into autocensorship, but you know what they say, when you're in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I will make an effort not to be racist on the forums, unwittingly or otherwise.

I wish I had a cool black friendo. It's one thing when you talk poo poo and vent on the internet, what matters is what you do in real life, in which I'm not racist at all. Sure, i'm still stuck in the 1950s, but I dont't think I'm much of a racist, I just like to talk poo poo on the internet (and this wasn't the first time I got in trouble on SA because of racism.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I feel really embarrassed now. I honestly thought that "my nigga" is a friendly term, and goons somehow know that I never mean any harm in my posts. So I guess, thank you guys for pointing this out before I used the term in real life. I wrote the n-word fully in order to demonstrate just how racist Nazi Gramps really is.

I don't like to be forced into autocensorship, but you know what they say, when you're in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I will make an effort not to be racist on the forums, unwittingly or otherwise.

I wish I had a cool black friendo. It's one thing when you talk poo poo and vent on the internet, what matters is what you do in real life, in which I'm not racist at all. Sure, i'm still stuck in the 1950s, but I dont't think I'm much of a racist, I just like to talk poo poo on the internet (and this wasn't the first time I got in trouble on SA because of racism.)

Look, now you know. Don't beat yourself up about it, and your apology is appreciated. A surprising number of people make the same error when learning English, so chalk it up to experience.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It can be, but only in VERY specific circumstances (generally you kinda better be black yourself before you even think about going down the rest of the appropriateness flowchart).

This context is probably a lot more obvious to Americans. And as said ^^, it's not like we're great at it ourselves.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Now it's gonna sound as if I'm bragging, so humor me for a moment. I read on the news portal on how some woman, a refugee from Syria, is going hungry, and to make the matters worse, she was about to give birth any second now. I immediately raided my food bunker and loaded myself with as many cans as I could carry, there was around sixty pounds of food for the refugees. Think about it, would a racist do such a thing?

Okay I'm definitely braggin now, so I'll shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

no monkey attire such as pants dropped all the way to his knees for example, no way, he looked incredibly and delightfully neat.

There's uh more here than just using the N-word Fatbeard.