Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
As long as you weld metal plates to the subframe mounts, change the rod bearings every 60k miles and rebuild your VANOS. Yes they are very reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I mean, I’m obviously joking but only half joking. The 135i seemed like a more practical choice in that it was only 5 years old when I bought it & was a steal with like 22 thousand miles. But it’s not a daily driver. As much as I like the DCT I still miss a 6 speed and after two years I’ve only added 6k miles to it. The M3 is older but as a weekend car, might as well get what I really wanted in the first place right?

:ohdear: right?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Don't forget the cooling system

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
+ timing chain guide

and re-glue the pillar fabric once a month

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

All you guys are wrong, the answer to “what bmw?” is always the lowest-mileage E39 M5 you can afford. V8? Yep. Stick? Only way they know how. Pinnacle of BMW styling? Absolutely.

Not that I’m biased or anything.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Sorry about your recirculating balls, though

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

Worst part of my old E34 for real though

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haven't driven one, are they as bad as people say

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The e39 is cool but it’s not what you’d call sporty
I quite love the idea of finding an imola one to daily but I can’t shift the idea of a v10 r8

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

The e39 is cool but it’s not what you’d call sporty
I quite love the idea of finding an imola one to daily but I can’t shift the idea of a v10 r8

Hot take: imola red e38 > imola red e39:

I have an unreasonable/irrational want for a ‘01 Msport. I won’t pay $36k for one though!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

The variable power assist in the car feels awesome. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tremek posted:

Hot take: imola red e38 > imola red e39:

I have an unreasonable/irrational want for a ‘01 Msport. I won’t pay $36k for one though!

I loving loved my lovely, old e38 even though I was an absolute idiot when I got it, did no research, and basically inherited someone else's problem. Nowadays I'd be annoyed as hell daily driving an automatic, but that was the car that made me care about cars. I miss it a ton, especially since the guy who bought it from me over a decade ago still has it and I see it around all the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how about this imola e38 with a s62 swap

https://www.instagram.com/p/BloysCYlQ1y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 16, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

You don’t play fair friend, goddamn

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Woah

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

Whys the steering considered something negative? Always felt like one of the highlights of the car plus basically indestructible and can be readjusted

E: lowering a 7 series is a cardinal sin.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Combat Theory posted:

Followed closely by removing M-parallels

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

Whys the steering considered something negative? Always felt like one of the highlights of the car plus basically indestructible and can be readjusted

They’re not bad I just like the rack and pinion feel better. It’s the BMW thread we have to bust each others balls about something!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You can’t feel the difference when you’re wearing driving gloves, anyway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Big Taint posted:

You can’t feel the difference when you’re wearing driving gloves, anyway.

:cheers:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If the recirculating ball steering in the E34 and E39 is like the E28 it's not necessarily bad, it just feels like you gotta crank the wheel a whole bunch to go from lock to lock compared to even my E30

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I don't have a horse in this race but this guy can get hosed for calling the Giulia uggo

looks like an M5 that ate a lemon and doesn't like his surroundings

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt60 posted:

looks like an M5 that ate a lemon and doesn't like his surroundings

lol this is pretty good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rscott posted:

If the recirculating ball steering in the E34 and E39 is like the E28 it's not necessarily bad, it just feels like you gotta crank the wheel a whole bunch to go from lock to lock compared to even my E30

its not that bad, it's a lot heavier compared to an EPAS system but in sport mode the steering ratio quickens up

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Have we talked about the new M3 yet?

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m3/20529/next-bmw-m3-to-go-all-4wd-the-inside-scoop-on-bmw-m-s-crucial-new-model

I'm just so tired by all this. Auto only unless you get a special lower power version, AWD but you can totally disable the front diff, and I'm super excited about hearing the M3 is getting the same engine as a crossover. Cool.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Bmw M is dead. All the engineers with some brain matter went to Hyundai N and BMW Motorrad.

I was at a BMW dealer for the first time in 4 years last Saturday and the customer base I saw can be collected with a dust pan in a decade and honestly, after 10 or so years of absolute crap engineering they deserve a harsh wake up. And I say that while my current job is tied to that brand.

I was looking at buying a 1 series E87 diesel until I found out that in their absolute wisdom they engineered a failing timing chain kit and installed the engine backwards so that you have to remove the entire engine and gearbox to do a timing chain job that needs doing after 60k miles.

They friggin deserve it I say.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 18, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Have we talked about the new M3 yet?

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m3/20529/next-bmw-m3-to-go-all-4wd-the-inside-scoop-on-bmw-m-s-crucial-new-model

I'm just so tired by all this. Auto only unless you get a special lower power version, AWD but you can totally disable the front diff, and I'm super excited about hearing the M3 is getting the same engine as a crossover. Cool.

better to think of the M3 Lightweight as the actual M3 and the AWD thing as some other monstrosity

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The 8 speed dual clutch gearbox is a typo/translation error. It's the 8 speed ZF transmission.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

I got an E36/8 about a year ago with an M52TU engine. The paint's an OK 50 foot paint but I'm thinking of getting it wrapped. Any ideas for what I should wrap it in? I was thinking Nardo Grey.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

pabst_br posted:

I got an E36/8 about a year ago with an M52TU engine. The paint's an OK 50 foot paint but I'm thinking of getting it wrapped. Any ideas for what I should wrap it in? I was thinking Nardo Grey.

Lemans blue

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Clarkson really liked the new M5 and also the Alpina B5, both proper gentleman's cars! :smugdog:

I can't afford either

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i pulled a b2 code on the m5 yesterday morning - cat issue - hoping it's just temp related :f5:

anyone got any exhaust recommendations?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh man the price on this one has finally cracked the 20k threshold

anything look out of order on this? the leather looks a bit worn but drat, that price with the bearings already addressed...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2008-bmw-e90-m3-sedan-6-speed-manual/6844423690.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That one will actually probably go really quick

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

That one will actually probably go really quick

its been up for a couple weeks, started at 22k and dropping price a couple times already

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
sheiiiiit, lowball him and go pick up your new over powered german mobile

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks nice with those wheels and coilovers. Offer them 18k and do a burnout.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
He lost two cylinders in the rod bearing replacement it seems from that listing on CL. That's not black, either. But hey! Other than that, looks like an amazing price for what you're getting.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

pabst_br posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

pabst_br posted: