Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Zudgemud posted:

Actually, the very fact that this was written down as graffiti suggests that the raping of slaves was in some form a controversial topic at that time. Because rarely does one write graffiti about topics on which the vast amount of society agrees upon, for example, writing "eating the flesh of your children is bad" as graffiti would probably not occur unless after great famines or something where that topic could have been brought up in public discourse.

Doesn't apply to slaves (for the most part) but: There's also this that in a pre-modern world, a criminal might get away without punishment for a deed like rape, but there's also a distinct thing where it's just as likely that someone taking revenge over it would get away.

"Being murdered by the relatives of the victim" is a far greater deterrent in the pre-modern world than people usually think. Especially since not even nobles are 100% immune to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Zudgemud posted:

Actually, the very fact that this was written down as graffiti suggests that the raping of slaves was in some form a controversial topic at that time. Because rarely does one write graffiti about topics on which the vast amount of society agrees upon, for example, writing "eating the flesh of your children is bad" as graffiti would probably not occur unless after great famines or something where that topic could have been brought up in public discourse.

Then again "I love to poo poo!"-type graffiti isn't exactly a controversial statement either but some Romans felt the need to put this thought into letters.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Grevling posted:

Then again "I love to poo poo!"-type graffiti isn't exactly a controversial statement either but some Romans felt the need to put this thought into letters.

on april 19th, i made bread

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grevling posted:

Roman graffiti always struck me as proto-twitter more than anything. People putting their dumb ideas into the aether so that the whole world can know what they're thinking of.

Mister Olympus posted:

on april 19th, i made bread

419 bake bread all day erry day

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"One who buggers a fire burns his penis" is sage advice for the ages though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Whorelord posted:

"One who buggers a fire burns his penis" is sage advice for the ages though.

What do you got against red heads?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Something that's not flammable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Don Gato posted:

419 bake bread all day erry day

Do we know what substances the romans and friends had besides alcohol?

I think I’ve seen sarmatians listed as weed smokers but iirc that’s mostly from “weed cures cancer man” sources so grain of salt.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think I’ve seen sarmatians listed as weed smokers but iirc that’s mostly from “weed cures cancer man” sources so grain of salt.

They had opium, but I don't know if there's evidence of recreational use. Plenty of evidence of medical use, and it had a religious function.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn't Herodotus say that the Scythians smoke weed?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Herodotus says Scythians would, as a post-funeral rite, toast cannabis seeds in a fire inside a tent and “howl in their joy” about it. And there’s evidence from burials that some folks were buried with hemp seed in about that place and time. I don’t think Romans ever smoked anything though. Smoking in the modern sense appears to have been an American (Indian) invention.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

He was right, but what is so special about the ship/construction? The article assumes you know a lot more than I do, I feel like?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I know a little more than average about early ship construction but they didn’t explain a lot or have a drawing to show the difference.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've never actually read Herodotus but my understanding is that his thing is that he never made anything up, but also if someone told him "I know a guy who knows a guy who says a thing" he would write it down

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He was right, but what is so special about the ship/construction? The article assumes you know a lot more than I do, I feel like?

it's very alien

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Elyv posted:

I've never actually read Herodotus but my understanding is that his thing is that he never made anything up, but also if someone told him "I know a guy who knows a guy who says a thing" he would write it down

Pretty much, and gently caress, tis good he did since even folktales and rumors help us learn about history, so in the end it kinda worked out

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Unfortunately we don't know what stories he left out though... like Suentonis is clearly a guy who would write down any old story he heard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elyv posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Still, he also wrote down whether it was something he'd seen himself, something he'd been told by a witness, just some rumor he heard, etc. There's a reason he's called the Father of History and a large part of it is that he was the first guy to really attempt systemic accuracy.

The telling thing is that every other year or so I see a news story titled "Herodotus proven right about [new thing]" and I never seem to see any where he was proven wrong. Even the gold-seeking ants turn out to have had a real source.

quote:

In Histories (Book 3, passages 102 to 105) Herodotus reports that a species of fox-sized, furry "ants" lives in one of the far eastern, Indian provinces of the Persian Empire. This region, he reports, is a sandy desert, and the sand there contains a wealth of fine gold dust. These giant ants, according to Herodotus, would often unearth the gold dust when digging their mounds and tunnels, and the people living in this province would then collect the precious dust.

French ethnologist Michel Peissel says that the Himalayan marmot on the Deosai Plateau in Gilgit–Baltistan province of Pakistan, may have been what Herodotus called giant "ants". Much like the province that Herodotus describes, the ground of the Deosai Plateau is rich in gold dust. Peissel interviewed the Minaro tribal people who live in the Deosai Plateau, and they have confirmed that they have, for generations, collected the gold dust that the marmots bring to the surface when digging burrows. The story was widespread in the ancient world and later authors like Pliny the Elder mentioned it in his gold mining section of the Naturalis Historia.

In his book, The Ants' Gold: The Discovery of the Greek El Dorado in the Himalayas, Peissel says that Herodotus may have confused the old Persian word for "marmot" with that for "mountain ant" because he probably did not know any Persian and thus relied on local translators when travelling in the Persian Empire. Herodotus did not claim to have seen the gold-digging "ant" creatures, he stated that he was simply reporting what other travellers told him.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold-digging_ant

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The ant thing never fails to bring a smile to my face

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It's been a while since my Herodotus course that was particularly focused on navies, but I believe the difference is that ships of this time were generally constructed using mortise and tenon joints between the planks making up the hull, whereas baris ships used long ribs that were attached to the planks of the hull with pegs.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
You have to thank Herodotus simply for writing as much as he did. Like, I don't think we have any sources that even mention the various goings-on regarding the Ionian Revolt, whereas Herodotus politely lays down some general information so that we don't just have a gaping hole in history.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

King of False Promises posted:

It's been a while since my Herodotus course that was particularly focused on navies, but I believe the difference is that ships of this time were generally constructed using mortise and tenon joints between the planks making up the hull, whereas baris ships used long ribs that were attached to the planks of the hull with pegs.

This article here has a bit more details: https://www.sciencealert.com/a-stun...impression=true

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

skasion posted:

Herodotus says Scythians would, as a post-funeral rite, toast cannabis seeds in a fire inside a tent and “howl in their joy” about it. And there’s evidence from burials that some folks were buried with hemp seed in about that place and time. I don’t think Romans ever smoked anything though. Smoking in the modern sense appears to have been an American (Indian) invention.

the Romans sure loved that abortion plant though

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
You're right, maybe it's good that the romans didn't like weed.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

skasion posted:

I had heard from some expert that Roman smoking pipes have been discovered. But I never got around to look for reliable sources.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Romans knew about opium. It only is recorded as medicine but obviously people must have been just getting high with it.

I would imagine magic mushrooms were being used too, at least in religious ritual and also likely "religious" "ritual".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I vaguely remember records about a fish that would get you high.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Weren't the oracles at Delphi just huffing sulfur, too?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

I vaguely remember records about a fish that would get you high.
Sarpa Salpa, aka dreamfish.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FuturePastNow posted:

Weren't the oracles at Delphi just huffing sulfur, too?

IIRC, hydrocarbons (natural gas), which does get you high and then kills you.

e: source: Delphic Oracle's Lips May Have Been Loosened by Gas Vapors

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 20, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
round the Decay / of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare / the lonely, level pastries stretch far away

https://twitter.com/Mar_Musa/status/1108174860839202817

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

King of False Promises posted:

I know it's been a few pages since the Nero reconstructed face, but your avatar reminded me of this image I ran into recently. An artist painted over this bust of Caracalla with their idea of what the colors would have looked like.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/PersianRose1/status/881330662321655808

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Please don't doxx me.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

How did they find a pic of me during the Honolulu missile warning incident

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

round the Decay / of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare / the lonely, level pastries stretch far away

Reminds me of the "cookie" christmas ornaments my mom made in 1987 and still hangs up every year.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

HEY GUNS posted:

"...Two vast and trunkless legs of scone
Stand in the dessert..."

Grumio fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2019

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"My name is Ozymandias, chef of chefs;
Look upon my works, Þe cannoli and eclair!"

Huh. I never knew that there was another poem by his buddy Horace Smith.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

I know it's been a few pages since the Nero reconstructed face, but your avatar reminded me of this image I ran into recently. An artist painted over this bust of Caracalla with their idea of what the colors would have looked like.

A surprisingly modern neckbeard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Fuschia tude posted:

The same artist who did the Nero sculpture did a few others, too. Here's Caesar:

Only registered members can see post attachments!