Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheBigAristotle posted:

I don't play competitively enough to be this granular

Neither does anyone throwing around those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

I don't play competitively enough to be this granular

Well, and breaking out the calipers to get the 2" between the guys exactly right will make people not want to play against you. But preventing deep strike onto 28% of an average board for 110 points seems fairly powerful especially against orks or GSCs?

E: It's not a rectangle though, the 12" extend from each base, it's 5 overlapping circles on a string.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 17, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Neither does anyone throwing around those numbers.

Very true. I suck at 40K. Competitive play basically requires two things:

1. A willingness to be flexible with armies based on changing meta and new rules.

2. A massive amount of time available to play your army, against many other armies, until you've reached an extreme level of familiarity and comfort.

Between my slow painting and personal obligations I have neither of those, nor do I have the drive to shift my life around to make that happen. No amount of theorycrafting or mathhammering will substitute for actually playing the game against high level opponents. Anyone thinking of actually getting into Competitive 40K should listen to the Forge the Narrative podcast with Brandon Grant. His understanding of his own army and his opponent's armies is pretty incredible.

Schadenboner posted:

Well, and breaking out the calipers to get the 2" between the guys exactly right will make people not want to play against you. But preventing deep strike onto 28% of an average board for 110 points seems fairly powerful especially against orks or GSCs?

E: It's not a rectangle though, the 12" extend from each base, it's 5 overlapping circles on a string.

Yeah I basically took a 24" x 10" square and added the area of a 24" circle to it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
huh.

I guess waiting on buying the CSM codex paid off.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
This certainly makes it feel more like there'll be a revised Space Marine codex when all the multipart vanguards start hitting.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Very true. I suck at 40K. Competitive play basically requires two things:

1. A willingness to be flexible with armies based on changing meta and new rules.

2. A massive amount of time available to play your army, against many other armies, until you've reached an extreme level of familiarity and comfort.

Between my slow painting and personal obligations I have neither of those, nor do I have the drive to shift my life around to make that happen. No amount of theorycrafting or mathhammering will substitute for actually playing the game against high level opponents. Anyone thinking of actually getting into Competitive 40K should listen to the Forge the Narrative podcast with Brandon Grant. His understanding of his own army and his opponent's armies is pretty incredible.

Yeah I basically took a 24" x 10" square and added the area of a 24" circle to it.

Goddamnit, now I'm balls-deep in Wolfram Alpha trying desperately to remember freshman calculus.

:eng99:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Goddamnit, now I'm balls-deep in Wolfram Alpha trying desperately to remember freshman calculus.

:eng99:

Good luck.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I think (rounding to tens) the denial area of each guy is 500 the overlap of two circles is 420 so the area of two is 500 + 500 - 420 or 580.

For 5 in a row I think it'll just be 2500 (5 circles) - 1680 (4 overlaps) = 820 square inches which is a little under a quarter of a 6x4 table?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How many points do you end getting in Shadowspear?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Marine side gets you up to 723 points.

Chaos is 750 on the dot if you build as pictured.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 18, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

723 for the phobos marines

about 755ish with the chaos side.

Surprisingly Bitter
Oct 10, 2008

a witch posted:

How do people usually outfit Plague Marines and Blightlords? Squad sizes, gear etc?

My plague marine unit usually varies in size, as I use it to fill in weird points amounts. But I usually go power fist on the sergeant, and a plasma gun or two. Sinking a ton of points in special weapons to them is something I'm just not comfy with right now, sometimes I shave the power fist.

Blightlords, I've been having a lot of success using the new bolter rules with a stack of combi bolters. In a 5 terminator unit, I'm giving my Sergeant the Balesword, one terminator gets a flail, and the last 3 just have Axes and Combi-Bolters. It's a lot of bolter fire and solid close combat for 209 points.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

Holy poo poo there's a Fallen detachment? Codex: The Fallen and Luther mini when

That would be nice, but it might just be the fix for the Fallen.

The Cypher and Fallen are in Codex:CSM and under the rules at launch they were ultra flexible. They could be dropped any Imperial or Chaos detachment. It was a fluffy thing - they weren't good rules wise. However, when GW did the keyword nerf (i.e. two keywords have to match) the rules for the Fallen broke. The only way to take either Cypher or the Fallen was to take the -1cp penalty, or have a separate Fallen Detachment that consists of Cypher and three squads of Fallen. They went from ultra-flexible to ultra-rigid. Until now GW has been silent on what might be done to address this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I bought the CSM codex like a week ago lol

gently caress

Happy to be getting goodies in Vigilus though, I'll probably just stick with that for now

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
How are kreig in 8th edition?

I'm thinking of buying some more and expanding out to a full sized force

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

I bought the CSM codex like a week ago lol

gently caress

Happy to be getting goodies in Vigilus though, I'll probably just stick with that for now

Contact customer services and ask if you can swap it for a new one. They were doing something similar around the launch of 8th ed iirc.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

^
My main hurdle...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Tabletop Simulator on steam is a great way to get practice games in. It's a big step up from vassal if you ever tried that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

goodness posted:

Tabletop Simulator on steam is a great way to get practice games in. It's a big step up from vassal if you ever tried that.

What does it automate? Or is it just picking up models and putting them down like when I played other lighter games on there?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What does it automate? Or is it just picking up models and putting them down like when I played other lighter games on there?

Just a good virtual environment for the 3d models and dice, the models look great too.

If you don't want to roll dice you could so that part in another app.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Do a lot of people use Tabletop Simulator to play? I'd be curious about feedback, seems interesting, but I could also see it being clunky and dull

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

TheBigAristotle posted:

Do a lot of people use Tabletop Simulator to play? I'd be curious about feedback, seems interesting, but I could also see it being clunky and dull

I only picked it up within the last month but there is a large discord at https://discord.gg/QHhHWw3 with 600+ people. Unfortunately there are not really any good quality videos that show it off.

The workshop mods for it are well supported, I think every army has a near complete lineup on there.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What's in the box?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm sure someone will brag about it online after they've won so we'll all know the terrible secrets of the box.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

10 Primaris lieutenants

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So it’s full of space marines that apparently get a little handsy?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm sure someone will brag about it online after they've won so we'll all know the terrible secrets of the box.

Yeah I'm gonna win so I'll let you know

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Surprisingly Bitter posted:

My plague marine unit usually varies in size, as I use it to fill in weird points amounts. But I usually go power fist on the sergeant, and a plasma gun or two. Sinking a ton of points in special weapons to them is something I'm just not comfy with right now, sometimes I shave the power fist.

Blightlords, I've been having a lot of success using the new bolter rules with a stack of combi bolters. In a 5 terminator unit, I'm giving my Sergeant the Balesword, one terminator gets a flail, and the last 3 just have Axes and Combi-Bolters. It's a lot of bolter fire and solid close combat for 209 points.

I'm not an expert at 40k, but every DG list I've played I've found the plague marines to be the worst part of my army. They hit like pillows for their points, even 5 man squads with double plasma were barely mediocre. I really wish they would make MEQ units actually be good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It says loot box but the Terms & Conditions say loot bag.

What fools.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are these termies new?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Are these termies new?

Yup. Look great too.

I picked a good time to pick up CSM.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The sergeant is making me think so, but they’ve stayed close enough to the classic sculpt that it’s hard to tell.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Those are all new. The 15 I have in comparison are miles apart. Ecen the combi bolters are a huge improvement.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The sergeant is making me think so, but they’ve stayed close enough to the classic sculpt that it’s hard to tell.

It took me 15 minutes to decide they're new. They look a lot like older versions, but it's a much better sculpt. Especially that autocannon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

It took me 15 minutes to decide they're new. They look a lot like older versions, but it's a much better sculpt. Especially that autocannon.

I bet they're Primaris sized.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Yup. Look great too.

I picked a good time to pick up CSM.

Same, my army is going to be sparkling and new and it feels weird to say that about a CSM army.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Now I need terminators....gently caress

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wanna see them sprus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The following CSM units are listed as "No Longer Available" in the online store.

-Forgefiend/Maulerfiend
-Chaos Rhino
-Chaos Bikers
-Chaos Space Marine Terminator Lord
-Chaos Cultists

Note that when things are withdrawn temporarily to be reboxed with new branding and updated rules sheets to accompany an updated codex or big release wave, they're generally listed as "Temporarily Out Of Stock" or, IIRC, "Temporarily Unavailable." Stuff that's just listed as "No Longer Available" is usually gone permanently, I believe.

Some of these make sense. If they're phasing out the old terminators maybe they want to release a new terminator lord to go with them, the bikers are the same sort of crappy sculpts as the old CSM marines, the cultists are a re-tool of the sculpts from Dark Vengeance and don't even have an option for one of the two heavy weapon variants that came with DV, and I suppose the Forgefiend/Maulerfiend just... isn't as visually impressive as the newer Daemon Engines. I could see them releasing an updated kit for that that's more dynamically posed and with more spindly spikey mechadendrites.

The rhino, though? Really?

Here's my Overthinking Everything prediction:

The rhino and the chaos rhino are the same kit with an extra sprue in the chaos rhino box for adding skulls and spikes and things. They're very old sculpts. They don't adhere to the current GW sprue dimension standards, being both non-flat and the wrong size -- current GW sprues fit pretty rigidly into a full/half/quarter scheme, which must make storage and inventory simpler. GW still does multiple kits that share sprues, however -- look at the Knight Armigers and the Castellan/Valiant.

I think this indicates we're getting a new rhino sculpt, with the chaos version coming out first alongside the rest of this chaos release wave. The space marine wave that will follow will come with the normal rhino. The re-tool will be justified in-fluff with something about refits to allow Primaris passengers.

I'm probably wrong about this, but I was also probably wrong about Shadowspear being bespoke single-pose plastic and heralding a huge wave of new Chaos sculpts beyond what was in the Shadowspear box, and look how that turned out.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 18, 2019