Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

captkirk posted:

In American English "a trade" or "the trades" is associated with jobs you'd learn how to do through a trade school or apprenticeship and the first things that will pop into people's minds is electrician or plumber or car mechanic. These tend to be jobs closer to manual labor than office jobs so people with office or retail jobs tend to look down on them (though that is less of a thing in rural or conservative areas these days).

I have the opposite problem. My FIL is a carpenter in the local Union. My wife and I apparently don't have "real jobs" because we work in air conditioned offices indoors and haven't ruined our bodies by age 30.

I've already told him he can kiss the whitest part of my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I never really got that attitude, for years people are trying to get their kids into jobs that won't get them broken down at the age of 40 and when they finally get there, you get nothing but resentment for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

After a certain amount of wheedling, Acronis has given me a little insight into their private API. Now I know what the POST request to apply a backup plan to a machine is supposed to look like. I can send it successfully from Postman (a really handy app for doing anything with web APIs) but when using an Invoke-WebSession in Powershell all I get are 400 and 401 errors. Same headers, same body, but different results.

I'd like to see what Powershell is actually putting out on the wire as compared to Postman. Is there a better way than Wireshark ?

Not pissing me off. The Acronis API authenticates with a authorization token that you get after authentication and you just include it in your POST requests. Going by the book, that's -Authentication Bearer -Token $myToken which forced an upgrade to Powershell 6 to get those parameters. It turns out that nope, they aren't doing anything like OAuth, you just stick the token in a header. But this got me to switch to Visual Studio Code, which after a day of use is worth a small learning curve just for the debugger. I'm sure to have a Python project coming up in the next several months, so using the same IDE for everything I'm likely to be coding is a boon.

What a time to be alive, Microsoft is making cross-platform dev tools that don't suck.

The tool you want is Fiddler. It will let you inspect your post requests in real time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

The tool you want is Fiddler. It will let you inspect your post requests in real time.

Just don't have the epic launcher installed because apparently it's super interested if you have fiddler installed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Raerlynn posted:

I have the opposite problem. My FIL is a carpenter in the local Union. My wife and I apparently don't have "real jobs" because we work in air conditioned offices indoors and haven't ruined our bodies by age 30.

I've already told him he can kiss the whitest part of my rear end.
Yeah, this is much more the attitude I'm familiar with in America. "You don't actually make anything!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, this is much more the attitude I'm familiar with in America. "You don't actually make anything!"

Drives me nuts because for 99% of humanity a job serves no purpose but to pay bills so who gives a poo poo what the output is. For the majority, all the stuff that actually gives life meaning is done off the clock.

I'm glad there's that 1% that love working and more power to them, but the culture where everyone has to aspire to that can gently caress off and die.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
IT is best defined as a "janitorial art"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I actually just commented to my team lead yesterday that I'm mostly a janitor if anything. Somebody's gotta scrub the poop deck of the SS It Ain't Broke So We're Not Maintaining It.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least computer janitors can automate their job if they're any good at it.

Real janitors got no shortcuts for cleaning urine from under toilets.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wish I had gone to trade school instead of wasting years pursuing a liberal arts degree that has, to date, served no purpose in my life.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

Oh perfect thank you. And Security won't send me nastygrams like they would with Wireshark. They objected to map previously.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

At MS Ignite last year they talked about 'Cloud Custodian' as a new job title and it fits so drat well it makes me sad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was about to type something snarky but then got depressed.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

kensei posted:

At MS Ignite last year they talked about 'Butt Custodian' as a new job title and it fits so drat well it makes me sad.

Tee hee.

Anyway my factory is expanding and two of the projects involved are:

1. Build on a much much larger warehouse for raw materials

2. Use half of the existing warehouse space to build offices and a third conference room

You'll never loving guess what order they did these two operations in

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Weedle posted:

I wish I had gone to trade school instead of wasting years pursuing a liberal arts degree that has, to date, served no purpose in my life.

It determined that you can think critically, have a basic level of education that applies in a broad sense to a specific set of circumstances... :350:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Agrikk posted:

It determined that you can think critically, have a basic level of education that applies in a broad sense to a specific set of circumstances... :350:

Truth, the downside to trade or vocational schools is that they train you up to do a job really well, but outside of that suck rear end.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

I'm glad there's that 1% that love working and more power to them, but the culture where everyone has to aspire to that can gently caress off and die.

I wouldn't say I love working, but I enjoy solving technical problems and coming up with solutions.

I really most enjoy coming up with creative solutions on a shoe string budget and having it work. I just hate supporting that poo poo and basically have to leave that as hobby only. If you ever implement one you end up getting hated on and it's best just to say "That's not possible to do well with this budget". I once made the mistake of being bullied into "I can make it work poorly for that price I'll write up the short-comings and you can sign off on them" fully expecting the list to issues they'll have to deal with being too cumbersome. I ended up getting poo poo for it for several years and never again.

The cost is the cost to do it well I'm not implementing jank, if you want that I'll be happy to find an outside resource who will. So unfortunately it's not a good idea to indulge in my true love of making things do things they were never intended to do to replicate something 50 times as expensive. Which is probably useful when what you need it to do doesn't have an out of box solution but I've never worked anywhere that needed something like that.

I enjoy the work I do, would I do it for free? Probably not. There's several things I'd do for myself, but I wouldn't do it so someone else can make money for free.

I hope most of this thread at least enjoys their work.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

mllaneza posted:

Oh perfect thank you. And Security won't send me nastygrams like they would with Wireshark. They objected to map previously.

Your security team are idiots

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

SeaborneClink posted:

Your security team are idiots

Calling them idiots is redundant, it’s inherent in the words “security team.”

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanatosian posted:

The only right answer to this is "I make a drat good living doing work I enjoy, must suck to have your insecurities"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Weedle posted:

I have a Chem Engineering degree that I've never used. I could have taken my college money and gone to Gateway Technical to become a pilot instead. I dream about that a lot.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

PancakeTransmission posted:

I don't think Engineer is a protected title in the US either, but let's just say you can get a computer engineer title here with zero qualifications.

Someone questioned me on my title, I replied I took the title of the position that I applied for and succeeded at getting.

Yea, Engineer in his title doesn't really mean anything, it was given to people to try to give them a wage grade bump without HR having to do the difficult work.
But, maybe they should be able to do a minor task in their job description while calling themselves that.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Weaponized Autism posted:

IT is best defined as a "janitorial fart"

Apologies if someone did it already, I couldn't be bothered to read another 10 posts. You understand, they're awful.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Tee hee.

Anyway my factory is expanding and two of the projects involved are:

1. Build on a much much larger warehouse for raw materials

2. Use half of the existing warehouse space to build offices and a third conference room

You'll never loving guess what order they did these two operations in

Both at once, ran out of budget, and halfassed the office buildout?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

xzzy posted:

Drives me nuts because for 99% of humanity a job serves no purpose but to pay bills so who gives a poo poo what the output is. For the majority, all the stuff that actually gives life meaning is done off the clock.

The "bullshit jobs" article and book may interest you

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Both at once, ran out of budget, and halfassed the office buildout?

I have an office. I need that warehouse space!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The search function on Windows Server 2016 and 2019.

When I click on the windows icon and start typing "updates" as in Windows Updates, as I type U-P-D sometimes I see the predictive search suggest "Check for Updates" but if I finish typing U-P-D-A-T-E-S the predictive prompt goes away and windows doesn't find anything. Sometimes the predictive prompt doesn't appear at all and windows finds nothing. Sometimes search just breaks by never actually fully loading.

Yes, yes, I know there are a million other ways to get updates, but why does this basic function that lives one click from the start bar not work consistently. If you are going to offer a feature so ubiquitous and so readily available, for services so often used and readily available, shouldn't it work consistently?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

All versions of Win10 have a terrible, half-functional search tool. I routinely type things 3-4 times before they appear in the search results. If you type something and immediately hit Enter, you’ll do a Bing search every time.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

The search function on Windows Server 2016 and 2019.

When I click on the windows icon and start typing "updates" as in Windows Updates, as I type U-P-D sometimes I see the predictive search suggest "Check for Updates" but if I finish typing U-P-D-A-T-E-S the predictive prompt goes away and windows doesn't find anything. Sometimes the predictive prompt doesn't appear at all and windows finds nothing. Sometimes search just breaks by never actually fully loading.

Yes, yes, I know there are a million other ways to get updates, but why does this basic function that lives one click from the start bar not work consistently. If you are going to offer a feature so ubiquitous and so readily available, for services so often used and readily available, shouldn't it work consistently?

Pet peeve with Server 2019 I just discovered. They made the "Network Connections" link in the right-click menu of the Start button now go to the modern Network Settings, instead of the adapter settings. Yeah, I know, Windows key, ncpa.cpl, Enter, but sometimes my hand is already on the mouse and right clicking Start->Network Connections was faster.

I was mostly OK with the modern settings bullshit because there were ways to avoid it, but they're steadily making it harder to avoid. Domain join in the modern settings for example - still haven't bothered to find out where that is if it still is even accessible in the modern Settings applets but if I need to domain join manually now I have to launch Control Panel from searching in the start menu and go to the System applet. I mean yeah I've mostly made that irrelevant by having templates that autojoin, or Powershelling it, but why make these things so difficult to get to on a SERVER OS? If I want to gently caress around with IP settings it should be really quick to get there - why keep adding additional layers of BS to change important system settings? I'm not Joe Consumer, I don't need hand holding, I just need to get poo poo done quickly and get out.

Old man yells at cloud I guess.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you didn't need your hand held you'd be using Core!

A number of my customers need all the hand holding they can get.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Pet peeve with Server 2019 I just discovered. They made the "Network Connections" link in the right-click menu of the Start button now go to the modern Network Settings, instead of the adapter settings. Yeah, I know, Windows key, ncpa.cpl, Enter, but sometimes my hand is already on the mouse and right clicking Start->Network Connections was faster.

I was mostly OK with the modern settings bullshit because there were ways to avoid it, but they're steadily making it harder to avoid. Domain join in the modern settings for example - still haven't bothered to find out where that is if it still is even accessible in the modern Settings applets but if I need to domain join manually now I have to launch Control Panel from searching in the start menu and go to the System applet. I mean yeah I've mostly made that irrelevant by having templates that autojoin, or Powershelling it, but why make these things so difficult to get to on a SERVER OS? If I want to gently caress around with IP settings it should be really quick to get there - why keep adding additional layers of BS to change important system settings? I'm not Joe Consumer, I don't need hand holding, I just need to get poo poo done quickly and get out.

Old man yells at cloud I guess.

I'm with you. Sometime I think that MS is just moving poo poo around for the sake of moving poo poo around. Like, I'm fine with them doing new things with the interface, but why not keep the old way there, too? I've gotten a bunch of different muscle-memory workflows that having them moved under me just builds my level of irritation.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I've just gone back to launching things using win-R.

I sometimes suspect that windows 10 itself may be an enormous push to get us to all give up on the desktop environment entirely, and live in a powershell.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Seems like I have to work on Saturday. First time I have to do that for this company and usually I have no problem with working on weekends. If announced early enough, which employer actually did.

They were kinda hush hush about compensation and now I know why:
There will be no monetary compensation, at all.
Home office is, of course, not allowed, which means I need to spend gasoline to get to the office, this will not be recompensated.
I don’t get a day off from this. I only get some hours from this, which I can use to leave earlier (so 16:00 instead of 16:45, leaving earlier is not allowed)
Said hours expire after 14 days.

I guess this is the first and last time I’m doing maintenance and updates on a weekend.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eikre posted:

windows 10 itself may be an enormous push to get us to all give up on the desktop environment entirely

That's literally what they did with windows 8, removed the start menu and tried to force everyone to use the tile interface

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm barely posting now because new job doesn't piss me off and I actually look forward to coming in.

Weird feeling, but hey happy ending to my lovely woes. Thought i'd let you know!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

dogstile posted:

I'm barely posting now because new job doesn't piss me off and I actually look forward to coming in.

Weird feeling, but hey happy ending to my lovely woes. Thought i'd let you know!

Just reply to people, when someone says how lovely their day was reply with a similar but more lovely day that you had. It's encouraging to know things get better. You can also post about how great and awesome something went that you just know would have been hell at your last place. Again it shows things get better and to hang in there, for the people still left at lovely jobs.

My current job is a decent mix of good and bad, but things are moving forward from within so I'd say it's better than most places.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dogstile posted:

:argh:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
People interrupting me while I am working on a several hundred line script when I very clearly have headphones in. Gee I wonder if I'm busy doing something and maybe don't want to lose my train of thought.

So now that I've explained what vsphere is and why you don't need to install it, I have no idea where I was.

Looks like this is the rest of my day now.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The "bullshit jobs" article and book may interest you

This and Bertrand Russell's 'In Praise of Idleness' are essential reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

People interrupting me while I am working on a several hundred line script when I very clearly have headphones in. Gee I wonder if I'm busy doing something and maybe don't want to lose my train of thought.

So now that I've explained what vsphere is and why you don't need to install it, I have no idea where I was.

Looks like this is the rest of my day now.

https://heeris.id.au/2013/this-is-why-you-shouldnt-interrupt-a-programmer/

Not just specific to programmers of course, anyone working on complicated systems has the same issue.