Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arist posted:

Also how are you "supposed" to do Secret Mission 09 (Stay in the air for 15 seconds)? I managed to cheese it with Cavaliere but I don't think that was intended.

As previously said it’s a puzzle rather than an intended way.

I did jump on axe guy with enemy step for about 7 seconds, air trick to bat, enemy step on bat until it flies away, air trick, enemy step, repeat. Plus a few gunslinger Ebony and Ivory at the end because I missed an enemy step.

I have no idea how you are supposed to do the V similar level though, I haven’t bought the ride on nightmare skill yet or enemy step so I assume it’s those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Fellblade posted:

As previously said it’s a puzzle rather than an intended way.

I did jump on axe guy with enemy step for about 7 seconds, air trick to bat, enemy step on bat until it flies away, air trick, enemy step, repeat. Plus a few gunslinger Ebony and Ivory at the end because I missed an enemy step.

I have no idea how you are supposed to do the V similar level though, I haven’t bought the ride on nightmare skill yet or enemy step so I assume it’s those.

Doing the shadow ride off the edge is like a stinger long jump. His Griffin glide and forward teleport handled the rest for me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

For V's I just summoned Nightmare and he showed up at the bottom of the chasm where I landed on his back and then just rode him to the fragment. A bit touchy getting off, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How did a creepy nerd like Agnus have a kid

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Alkarl posted:

His Griffin glide

Is this a separate move from the double jump?

I couldn’t get far enough with the ledge-run-jump, teleport and double jump.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fellblade posted:

Shadow hop, swing your cane in mid-air three times, glide, and then teleport at the end, and you'll get it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fellblade posted:

Hold the jump button when you double jump

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I finished my SoS run and SoS Mission 19 is the best boss fight in the entire series. If the boss' moveset gets changed even more in DMD, then that will be the best boss fight in the series.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Alkarl posted:

Doing the shadow ride off the edge is like a stinger long jump. His Griffin glide and forward teleport handled the rest for me.

I did this
Jump off, do 2-3 cane swipes into the air and let your momentum carry you forward a bit.
Do the R1+Forward+O teleport. Then griffon glide to it. Make sure you've fallen far enough you don't hit the ceiling/arch before you use griffon.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PantsBandit posted:

Can someone explain when you would want to use the Kick Mode version of heating up instead of Blow Mode? It leaves you exposed for a really long time and your combo is draining (unless you're so close to an enemy that you can tap them with the animation).

1. Doing the little dance boosts your style a decent amount, even if the actual kicks don't connect, and it can be a faster way to get fired up rather than switching to Blow Mode, moving to an enemy, activating 10 count, then going back to Kick Mode

2. It's a cool dance

3. You get to hear "IGNITE THE FLAMES... NOW!"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How did a creepy nerd like Vergil have a kid?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

At least Vergil was handsome. Agnus was a fugly dude

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Fellblade posted:

Yeah if you hold the button you'll glide for about 3 seconds and its surprisingly useful for finding stuff!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I can't believe the fact that Vergil has hosed hasn't been something he's gloated about to Dante in the series yet

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Neither Vergil nor Dante care about sex, that's why.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gologle posted:

Neither Vergil nor Dante care about sex, that's why.

Dante was pretty into Dagon's anglerfish ladies in DMC4.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I can't believe the fact that Vergil has hosed hasn't been something he's gloated about to Dante in the series yet

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

"And I have a bigger dick."

DmC Vergil was so lame, played it so polite and succinct and then the sniper murder out of nowhere lol. That and the complete left-turn "humans will serve us" swerve was such an undeserved and unearned character development.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Shh, sh, this is the DMC5 thread, it can't hurt you here

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Have you never read a woman a poem before?

Pirate Jet posted:

He showed up on an island where the only women worship his father like a god, doesn’t seem like a hard sell.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She probably thought it was hot he turned into a big demon bug man

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think the DMC4 novel implied Nero's mom was a prostitute

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Seriously considering orb farming for Nero's EX taunt just so I can boost my style rating before killing enemies to nail these S Ranks. Is there a once per level limit on it like the other special taunt?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Beat Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda recently, starting on DMD. How is this game so good? It took 10 years and it could've just been okay or sucked but it's fantastic and I'm so goddamn happy.

I think Nidhogg might be my favorite fight in the game from tone alone. The series is saturated with demons that are all "INSOLENT WHELP, FOOLISH HUMAN, YOUR DESTRUCTION IS NIGH" and then you have Nidhogg who's just the dumbest sack of poo poo ever, he can't even come up with a real insult. One of my favorite lines in the game comes from him: "You...you...bird and...cat!"

It's even better that he's paired with V, the most eloquent nerd ever, plus you get the fun of Nidhogg's three tendrils and V's three summons all in the same chaotic brawl, backed by [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMmuQGbz0Kg]one of the best songs in the game[/spoiler]. When you're good with managing V's summons it's such a perfect , character-establishing fight.

gently caress this game is so good.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Fighting Urizen with Balrog is the closest we'll ever get to a Capcom Punch-Out game.

If you mean Capcom as a style rather than a company, wonderful 101 gets much closer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the DMC4 novel implied Nero's mom was a prostitute

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

DLC Inc posted:

DmC Vergil was so lame, played it so polite and succinct and then the sniper murder out of nowhere lol. That and the complete left-turn "humans will serve us" swerve was such an undeserved and unearned character development.

I also like how he has to hide through the whole game and send you out to do actual missions, and he gets captured toward the end of the game, but it turns out he's pretty much as powerful as you are.

Back to DMC5: I got to Malphas on SoS with less than a third of my health and no DT AND she opened the fight by dropping on me and took out almost all of my remaining health, but then I managed to dance around her for the whole fight, landing 3 busters and a super lucky rocket punch Break Age. Life is good!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ok, this rules. Young Nico and Nell by the artist of the original DMC novel.

https://twitter.com/zi38/status/1107599546387857408?s=19

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So yesterday I asked about checkpoints and the ‘use continues’ penalty and what is required to avoid the penalty, as I thought it might refer only to buying a revive. Some people said if you use a checkpoint you get the penalty, this is not true.

I just did the same mission, used the pre-boss checkpoint 4 times AND bought back with red orbs and did not get the ‘used continues’ penalty.

I’d like to know the rules if people have a resource they’ve seen, as it will make S ranking DMD a lot easier if I don’t need to do the whole level perfect in one go.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I like this game a lot and Nico is the best DMC girl by far for me. Is she supposed to be mixed race? She has the exact same features of almost every black+white girl I've ever met in my life.

https://instagram.com/darth_bador?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=u7tocpks5mjd

The model for Nico is English/Malaysian

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She’s the most realistic character in the series by far. I can think of at least 3 women I know very well who could have been real life inspirations for her. It’s a very believable archetype.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Lady is just a generic white girl.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mama mia!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Fellblade posted:

So yesterday I asked about checkpoints and the ‘use continues’ penalty and what is required to avoid the penalty, as I thought it might refer only to buying a revive. Some people said if you use a checkpoint you get the penalty, this is not true.

I just did the same mission, used the pre-boss checkpoint 4 times AND bought back with red orbs and did not get the ‘used continues’ penalty.

I’d like to know the rules if people have a resource they’ve seen, as it will make S ranking DMD a lot easier if I don’t need to do the whole level perfect in one go.

I farmed red orbs on mission 13, repeatedly restarted from checkpoint after clearing out the last section and when I did finally finish the mission I had the "Triple Continue" penalty. I never died, only ever selected "Checkpoint" from the pause menu.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Peewi posted:

I farmed red orbs on mission 13, repeatedly restarted from checkpoint after clearing out the last section and when I did finally finish the mission I had the "Triple Continue" penalty. I never died, only ever selected "Checkpoint" from the pause menu.

Well who the gently caress knows then basically.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fellblade posted:

The question isn't whether you got a penalty, it's whether you got a bonus. The "No continues" bonus gives you a 1.2x score multiplier. It is my understanding that restarting from a checkpoint disqualifies you from that bonus.

The red orbs thing checks out. Using a gold orb gives you a 0.9x multiplier, but using red orbs to revive gives you no penalty even if you buy the highest level (which gives you full health and DT, and also zaps all enemies present for half their health including bosses). It does disqualify you from "no continues" though.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks, that's the info I needed.

E: Just got the S, finally can move on

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 18, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Helpful hint for those looking for S Ranks that I just realized; you don't lose style for getting hit, you lose style from flinching. If you can tank a hit with DT, DSD's Phantom Swords in Royal Guard, or Cavalier's super armor, you won't lose style even if you lose health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think Nero's arm doesn't break if you're DT'd?. I'd need to do more testing but I noticed in mission 2 boss that I had Punchline going and the boss smacked me while I was in the middle of a combo but it didn't break.

I can also confirm that restarting from checkpoint when you die to a boss does not count as using a continue.