Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually think that is battle star Galatica which is not anime.

Western Sci fit does love it’s weird child bride tho.

All is anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While not exactly a child bride IIRC in Twilight they instead go with arranged marriage where the vampire baby is basically promised to the werewolf guy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

While not exactly a child bride IIRC in Twilight they instead go with arranged marriage where the vampire baby is basically promised to the werewolf guy.

The girl I was dating at the time wanted to go watch that so I took her opening night. She got super mad at me because when that scene hit and I figured out what was happening I full on belly laughed for a good 30 seconds straight.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

The girl I was dating at the time wanted to go watch that so I took her opening night. She got super mad at me because when that scene hit and I figured out what was happening I full on belly laughed for a good 30 seconds straight.

Was that not supposed to be funny? I appreciate that in universe 1000 year old vampires that only look like children are considered abominations that need to be destroyed.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Uh, you should post the after pic. Due to life changes she now looks like someone who stirs a pot of grits in a lumber camp.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is "life changes" code for getting fat and old?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was less arranged marriage and more like grooming? He imprinted on this baby as his future soul mate and was going to help raise her until the time she was old enough to marry him

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It’s code for meth.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

various legal troubles

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/15/entertainment/star-trek-arrest-jennifer-lien-feat/index.html

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/former-star-trek-voyager-actress-arrested-in-kingston/1039307903

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Len posted:

I thought it was less arranged marriage and more like grooming? He imprinted on this baby as his future soul mate and was going to help raise her until the time she was old enough to marry him

Yeah its this. Also the baby ages extra fast because of its vampire genes or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Twilight manages to be more anime than most anime.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arivia posted:

It’s code for meth.

With a side order of mental illness.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It's probably been mentioned, but I'm super late to the thread, but the first season of The Wire is super archaic now. It came out in 2002, and the cops on the case are stuck using typewriters (not super unusual, a character in the first ep even bitches that due to budget, they're stuck in the Stone Age).

A homicide cop brags about their super advanced spy camera set-up!

Their plot to figure out how to take down Avon involves beepers and payphones.

I just got to the part where the incompetent nerd, trying to crack their beeper code, is physically holding a handset telephone on a photocopier so he can have physical copies of a phone keypad.

There's also the part where Lester does all that leg work because 'Nobody has any information on Avon Barksdale! :('

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the biggest themes of the show was how cops and gangs evolved their use of technology through the early 2000s. Season 1 was archaic by season 2.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it makes sense that the drug gang is using cheap beepers and payphones though, they're much harder to trace as the cops have to physically watch the payphones to log when their target is using the phone. also you'd stand out if you were a guy walking around the dangerous projects with a fancy cellphone and nobody's trying to mess with you about it.

lester is the physical manifestation of "technology cannot replace good police work"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's probably been mentioned, but I'm super late to the thread, but the first season of The Wire is super archaic now. It came out in 2002, and the cops on the case are stuck using typewriters (not super unusual, a character in the first ep even bitches that due to budget, they're stuck in the Stone Age).

A homicide cop brags about their super advanced spy camera set-up!

Their plot to figure out how to take down Avon involves beepers and payphones.

I just got to the part where the incompetent nerd, trying to crack their beeper code, is physically holding a handset telephone on a photocopier so he can have physical copies of a phone keypad.

There's also the part where Lester does all that leg work because 'Nobody has any information on Avon Barksdale! :('

That doesn't sound like it aged poorly, it's just set in the year in which it was produced and had characters using obsolete technology for specific reasons intended by the writers?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now millennials just post #DoYouWantToBuySomeDrugs on Tweeter!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the biggest themes of the show was how cops and gangs evolved their use of technology through the early 2000s. Season 1 was archaic by season 2.

Yeah, it's still funny to me though. S2 McNulty wouldn't need to pore over physical tide maps, and w/S3 stuff with Marlo's crew relying on burners, are burners even a 'thing' anymore?

I would honestly love to see a remake for current day technology if it could be done?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't even think it would need a remake. A continuation would be cool. I hear that some of the actors do unofficial stage plays.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't even think it would need a remake. A continuation would be cool. I hear that some of the actors do unofficial stage plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmryAVUoL8

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That doesn't sound like it aged poorly, it's just set in the year in which it was produced and had characters using obsolete technology for specific reasons intended by the writers?

Said reasons being the Baltimore PD were cheap as gently caress and things like expensive, long running investigations into the upper levels of drug gangs got little to no priority. It even comes up in dialogue how the old and barely working technology is a huge impediment to effectively policing the city.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, it's still funny to me though. S2 McNulty wouldn't need to pore over physical tide maps, and w/S3 stuff with Marlo's crew relying on burners, are burners even a 'thing' anymore?
Yep.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

LadyPictureShow posted:

are burners even a 'thing' anymore?

...why wouldn't they be?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Burner Twitter handles and Instagram accounts. Don't @ me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There was a full investigation and a senate hearing after the nature of Killer’s “love” was discovered. Sarge shot himself in his office in his full dress uniform. The note pinned to his chest read simply, “we should have known from the cookies.”

I thought we already figured out that the whole strip is set in purgatory after everyone died in the Korean War?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

luxury handset posted:

lester is the physical manifestation of "technology cannot replace good police work"

Yeah, and "tech can't replace humint" comes up in basically every serious surveillance / spy drama (also in reality).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Wire season 1 felt outdated even the day it aired because a lot of the stuff they show with the cops is also in David Simon's book "Homicide" which came out in 1991.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Season 2 features this wonderfully 2003 exchange when McNulty is staking our Vondas:
“What’s that thing he just did with his phone?”
“Probably sending a text message. My kids are obsessed with those.”

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I definitely remember a dodgy CG demolition at the start of season 3, a rarity since there were a number of CG shots in The Wire most people didn't notice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I definitely remember a dodgy CG demolition at the start of season 3, rarity since then was a number of CG shots most people didn't notice.

I’m in the middle of season 3 on my current rewatch and yeah it looks like poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a pity, real life demolitions are some awesome poo poo. I remember when a neighbouring house got torn town I brought out a goddamn folding chair to watch.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
At least they didn't use stock footage from Pruitt Igoe

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

skooma512 posted:

At least they didn't use stock footage from Pruitt Igoe

Koyaanisqatsi!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
In preparation for the upcoming movie, I've finally convinced my wife to watch Deadwood with me. Her first viewing, my 3rd or 4th. We're about half way through season 2.

It's still perfect.

That is all.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Tony Phillips posted:

In preparation for the upcoming movie, I've finally convinced my wife to watch Deadwood with me. Her first viewing, my 3rd or 4th. We're about half way through season 2.

It's still perfect.

That is all.

We watched that back to back with Justified last year. Lots of fun playing spot the actor across the two.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Not Operator posted:

We watched that back to back with Justified last year. Lots of fun playing spot the actor across the two.

My wife and I were bored enough to run through all of Sons of Anarchy last year. (Her sister loved it and wouldn't shut up about it. I don't recommend it.)

The Deadwood / SoA crossover is insane though. Time and time again, I'd have a "Where the Hell do I know that actor from?" moment. The answer was drat near always Deadwood. Took me forever to recognize Robin Weigert though. Just started laughing when it finally clicked.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tony Phillips posted:

My wife and I were bored enough to run through all of Sons of Anarchy last year. (Her sister loved it and wouldn't shut up about it. I don't recommend it.)

The Deadwood / SoA crossover is insane though. Time and time again, I'd have a "Where the Hell do I know that actor from?" moment. The answer was drat near always Deadwood. Took me forever to recognize Robin Weigert though. Just started laughing when it finally clicked.

If you add in The Shield as well, you have even more actor crossover.

Though, like many things SoA hosed up, Michael Chiklis was horrendously misused.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you add in The Shield as well, you have even more actor crossover.

Though, like many things SoA hosed up, Michael Chiklis was horrendously misused.

Yeah, but Goggins was NOT.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Remulak posted:

Yeah, but Goggins was NOT.

Well, the whole Venus Van Damme thing was dumb (not from an anti-trans perspective, I love trans people :glomp:), but Sutter was clearly only interested in the laughs and being all extreme and poo poo with how it's handled, much like everything else. The name was probably my favourite part, harkening back to Shane on the Shield.

The irony is, he put so many shootouts in the goddamned show that that aspect because predictable, boring, and stupid.

gently caress SoA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Breaking Bad was good about making the main character become antagonist but made me want to keep watching.

SOA did the same thing but did it so badly in the end I hated Jax I was glad he was dead and the show was finally over.