Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Regarding Air vs Pro — the cameras are also worse and the screen is dimmer too (Pro had 600, Air is 500 cd/m)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I love my iPad Mini 4, so I'm glad they made the new iPad Mini (2019). Doesn't feel like there's a reason for me to upgrade it at the moment though. Battery still feels great on mine and the only slowness I really run into is updating apps, which I suspect I can improve by freeing up some extra space (down to 10GB at the moment).

edit: also I have some objections to the 4 selling with 128GB of storage as the only option for so long and this new one releasing with an entry-level 64GB at the same price.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How many price points/feature combinations are they trying to hit?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

How many price points/feature combinations are they trying to hit?

Base iPad - basic screen, touch id, cheap
Air and mini - better screens, still touch id, Pro-level power. Step up in price (small step for mini but not the old large leap to the Pros)
Pro - best screens, faceid, most computer power possible in a tablet (and many laptops). Expensive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

7.9-inch iPad mini
9.7-inch iPad
10.5-inch iPad Air
11-inch iPad Pro
12.9-inch iPad Pro

i'm waiting for the iPad shuffle

I remember when shopping for Apple hardware was different from other companies because it didn't involve trying to decypher what the real tradeoffs were between a bunch of models that were only slightly different from each other.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Honestly - Android used to get bashed so much for being confusing on what to buy.

I get that this basically splits in to 3 groups, but with older products still for sale and variances within the lines anyways, it's very un-apple compared to what I'd expect.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, btw - I like Android and iOS both.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shortspecialbus posted:

Honestly - Android used to get bashed so much for being confusing on what to buy.

I get that this basically splits in to 3 groups, but with older products still for sale and variances within the lines anyways, it's very un-apple compared to what I'd expect.

This update has cut out the older products, but still leaves 5 different current generation iPads. Way too many.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok but how would you suggest they streamline it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

It's actually not that hard to figure out.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

This is normal for Apple under Tim Cook. Apple won’t go below a certain price point, e.g. $999 for Mac laptops, roughly $499 for iPhones, but they’ll hit as wide a spread as possible above that. I think the iPads are fine. They’re segmented by price first, and then size. If you want to see a mess, go look at the entry-level Mac laptops.

The 2019 Mini and Air also support the Logitech Crayon, introduced with the 2018 iPad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The new Mini with Pencil support is going do so many sales to business it's basically a license to print money.

Kinda like how the Mac Mini and Apple TV does gangbusters in business sales for kiosks and simple terminals.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My OG iPad Air (2013) that my son has been using now won't charge anymore, and the port isn't even encrustulated with schmutz!

Got a reso at the Apple Store this afternoon, hope the fix is not spendy. I don't want to get a new ipad just now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What the frigging hell is the difference between an A12X and A12 chip? I don't care terribly about the better screen or camera, but I'd like to know to what degree the Pro is more powerful than the Air and even the tech specs page doesn't have any actual details.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat, not fixable. Debating trading in for the $80 or whatever towards a Pro now :haw:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

priznat posted:

drat, not fixable. Debating trading in for the $80 or whatever towards a Pro now :haw:

If price is a concern, just get the base iPad, it's good

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

What the frigging hell is the difference between an A12X and A12 chip? I don't care terribly about the better screen or camera, but I'd like to know to what degree the Pro is more powerful than the Air and even the tech specs page doesn't have any actual details.

The A12X is an 8 core chip whereas the A12 is 6 cores.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

The A12X has two more high-power CPU cores, and three more GPU cores than the A12 (they both have four power-efficient CPU cores). The 1 TB 12.9" iPad Pro also has 2 GB more RAM.

So it's not quite 50% faster.

E: Geekbench multicore scores:

iPad Pro 12.9" (A12X): 17940
iPhone XS (A12): 11268

~37% faster at that benchmark. For single core, the A12X is a little faster, but that's probably more due to thermal throttling in the iPhone, which won't be as big a concern on an iPad.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 18, 2019

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

The A12X has two more high-power CPU cores, and three more GPU cores than the A12 (they both have four power-efficient CPU cores). The 1 TB 12.9" iPad Pro also has 2 GB more RAM.

So it's not quite 50% faster.

E: Geekbench multicore scores:

iPad Pro 12.9" (A12X): 17940
iPhone XS (A12): 11268

~37% faster at that benchmark. For single core, the A12X is a little faster, but that's probably more due to thermal throttling in the iPhone, which won't be as big a concern on an iPad.
Okay, that works. Thanks.

eames
May 9, 2009

geekbench confirms 3GB RAM for one of the new iPads, it's likely that both Air and mini have this configuration

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12452488

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eames posted:

geekbench confirms 3GB RAM for one of the new iPads, it's likely that both Air and mini have this configuration

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12452488

drat... and my pro doesn’t get that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

drat... and my pro doesn’t get that.

It is concerning that Apple went with a lightning connector on a device that appears designed for a 5 year lifespan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

It is concerning that Apple went with a lightning connector on a device that appears designed for a 5 year lifespan.
Using USB-C would require they redesign the cases instead of just reusing existing ones

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Why?

I'm feeling a bit wrong-footed today because my "saving up for an iPad Pro" fund may have suddenly become a "I already have enough money for an iPad Air and that's good enough" fund, so any differences between the two have my interest.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Duckman2008 posted:

I know it has 64GB vs 32GB, but it’s crazy that the Mini is still priced higher than the 9.7” iPad. Mostly because consumers for the most part think smaller screen should be cheaper.

For the same reason Apple updated it when there was so much suspicion that they would just cancel it since it appeared they hadn't given a poo poo about it in a long time.

The Mini is extremely popular in the kiosk/bundled solution space where basically nothing is competing with it which consumers don't give a poo poo about it for the most part because of the small screen.

An iPad Mini at twice the price is an absolute steal compared to anything close to it and it's ordered by the crate load by providers that sell it as part of solutions where the cost of the iPad is a rounding error.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 19, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Three Olives posted:

For the same reason Apple updated it when there was so much suspicion that they would just cancel it since it appeared they hadn't given a poo poo about it in a long time.

The Mini is extremely popular in the kiosk/bundled solution space where basically nothing is competing with it which consumers don't give a poo poo about it for the most part because of the small screen.

An iPad Mini at twice the price is an absolute steal compared to anything close to it.

Yeah a lot of restaurants use iPad minis to take orders and stuff. Every so often I’ll see an android tablet but its like 90% iPads at this point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah they’re ubiquitous as POS devices around here.

They’re also the one true size iPad if you want to read on them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Air feels like what you’d expect from a new iPad prior 2017. The 5th and 6th gens are fine, but very much seem like budget iPads given the iterative designs and some corner cutting to keep costs down. So now you have the budget iPad, small iPad, regular iPad, and luxury iPad.

The naming scheme is awful though, not helped by reusing names. Should have refreshed the 6th gen model and called it the iPad Lite or R, and just call the new Air “iPad”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

An iPad Mini at twice the price is an absolute steal compared to anything close to it and it's ordered by the crate load by providers that sell it as part of solutions where the cost of the iPad is a rounding error.

Makes me wonder if part of the logic behind keeping the 9.7” around is that so many business and education-specific peripherals like Square cash registers and iPad classroom carts and special attachments for handicapped users are already designed to work with the old Air case. Not only is it a value proposition for those customers and a show of continuing support from apple but it also makes it less likely that they’d switch to something like chromebooks. Having a brand new iPad that still works with all your old iPads’ poo poo means that schools can do stuff like stagger their upgrades and incorporate new + old equipment or reorder a fleet of iPads because they can reuse the charging bases.

Pants Donkey posted:

The Air feels like what you’d expect from a new iPad prior 2017. The 5th and 6th gens are fine, but very much seem like budget iPads given the iterative designs and some corner cutting to keep costs down. So now you have the budget iPad, small iPad, regular iPad, and luxury iPad.

The naming scheme is awful though, not helped by reusing names. Should have refreshed the 6th gen model and called it the iPad Lite or R, and just call the new Air “iPad”.

iPad 9.7 = ePad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Why?

I'm feeling a bit wrong-footed today because my "saving up for an iPad Pro" fund may have suddenly become a "I already have enough money for an iPad Air and that's good enough" fund, so any differences between the two have my interest.

People seem to think Apple is abandoning Lightning across the line sooner rather than later now that USB-C is mostly mature and the iPad Pros got it, but I'm not really that confident it's happening, especially if they launched new iPads with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

A very good point.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think the new 10.5 Air will be my go-to as a replacement once Apple finally drops support for the Air 2.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the ipad air 2 was/is amazing

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I bought an Air2 when it was new and that was a pretty good buy.

I have an Air1 secondhand and it's aged nowhere near as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I bought an Air2 when it was new and that was a pretty good buy.

I have an Air1 secondhand and it's aged nowhere near as well.

The difference being NVME vs eMMC

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

The difference being NVME vs eMMC
The biggest difference is probably the 2GB vs 1GB RAM. It has another CPU core too...but the iPad mini 4 seems to hold up ok without that.

With the iPad mini being updated the only things left with the A8 are the iPod touch and non 4K Apple TV. Former is rumored to be updated, latter could be due to be killed off or replaced at the media event coming up. I’m guessing A8 support might not have too much life left.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I traded my Air 1 to Apple for an iPad (2018). It was a good trade.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My Air1 is still going strong. It's plenty for the light duty I give it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Mine stays in the kitchen to stream music to a BT speaker. It’s almost painful to use outside of the Music app it’s so slow. Good thing it’s in the kitchen so if you have to open Settings you can make a sandwich while you wait for it to become responsive! :rimshot:

On the other hand unsurprisingly if you use an iPad just to stream music, the battery lasts a looooong time.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s almost painful to use outside of the Music app it’s so slow. Good thing it’s in the kitchen so if you have to open Settings you can make a sandwich while you wait for it to become responsive!

Is something wrong with it? Mine's still mostly snappy outside of starting larger apps, and Settings opens more ore less instantly. Or did I miss :thejoke:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No joke. Settings paints the screen instantly but it’s not responsive for many seconds. Could be something wrong with it, wouldn’t surprise me, but I’ve done plenty of resets and “set up as new” and stuff and :effort: it works well enough as a music streamer. And it launches Paprika. Don’t need it for more than that.