Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fool_of_sound posted:

The problem is more that D&D mostly assumes that anything beyond realistic human capabilities MUST be magic or some other supernatural power. You can have non-magical fighters, but they should be like Hercules and Beowulf, not some average knight.

I'd say Hercules and Beowulf are magic, just that their magic source is "Being a hero/demigod", and their "spells" (we can't call them powers or grogs will have an aneurysm) are poo poo like diverting a river in an afternoon.

Roughly 80% of crappy 80s fantasy movies have some riff on, "The magic was inside you all along!" - this isn't really any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish I would have been in a group where wizards didn't just win but unfortunately through 7th grade until the end of high school one of our players was my friends little brother who transitioned from making goofy characters to power gaming. He would roll up casters using weird classes and races from splatbooks and Dragon and it would just be the Josh show.

He rolled up a martial guy once and at level 1 had three attacks. He got legitimately furious when someone out performed him in combat and went back to casters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gort posted:

Just make everyone magic. "Guy who can't do magic when everyone else can" isn't a niche we really need to be protecting.

Every class can be magic, just in different ways.

It's a boring cop-out when characters who aren't "magic" (in the bullshit arbitrary meaning of that word that D&D uses) should be equally capable of performing superhuman feats as some dude "casting spells," instead of bowing to the dumb groggy "but non-magical people have to suck!" logic.

e; and I'd much rather play someone who is just superhumanly trained with a weapon than a dude who casts a bunch of self-buffs every morning so they can fight good, because arbitrary bullshit D&D reasons demand that only spellcasters can have agency.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 18, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Coolness Averted posted:

to this day talking to friends with (bad) opinions about d&d they always regard tome of battle classes as brokenly OP, just like psionics (especially the psychic knife or whatever class), monks, and anything that dared to give things to do non-spellcasters. It's funny because nearly everything they identify as broken usually is broken, just not in the direction they think

Your friends may very well be trapped in some time pocket of bad D&D takes from 2006. Do they also think the Warlock is op because it can blast all day?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The problem with this lane of thought is that "magic" in D&D is actually extremely specific. It's "poo poo the spellcaster does with spells."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem with this lane of thought is that "magic" in D&D is actually extremely specific. It's "poo poo the spellcaster does with spells."

I don't think there is much difference between supernatural abilities and magic in D&D

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't want to be a magician throwing fireballs or a priest praying for holy power, i just wanna be a guy who got really good with a rifle

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Magic means, "anything a person does that isn't completely mundane," to a lot of people who've played a lot of 3.X and I don't think that's entirely coincidence

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuns with Guns posted:

Your friends may very well be trapped in some time pocket of bad D&D takes from 2006. Do they also think the Warlock is op because it can blast all day?

no way! they love modern systems too! like pathfinder and 5e :haw:
-and yes 3.5 warlock goes in their list of bad takes
I mostly just play board games with those folks, or don't play anything with them these days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just don't have fighters and make a game about magical god-kings.

Eventually I'll release my card based dnd4e / ars magicka heartbreaker

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Man, I remember hating 3.5 Warlock and thinking it was OP at the time.

Mostly because I was playing an archery fighter, and it did everything I could do only better.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, I remember hating 3.5 Warlock and thinking it was OP at the time.

Mostly because I was playing an archery fighter, and it did everything I could do only better.

It benefits the ruling classes to set the lower tier classes against one another.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Darwinism posted:

Magic means, "anything a person does that isn't completely mundane," to a lot of people who've played a lot of 3.X and I don't think that's entirely coincidence

True, but among some segment of grog that seems to have ossified into "hitting things with a sword must be explicitly non-magical". Book of 9 swords had some of the classes be rather mystical/supernatural in how they did their special things, and people still howled about how it was terrible that martial-type classes had things to do.

I'd say it was generational, but sword mages and fighter/mages and whatnot have been around since the demihuman class/races in basic. So I'm not sure what prompts that particular lineage of stupid.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The people who hated Book of Nine Swords didn't hate that it was magical, they were totally fine with the Hexblade and Duskblade. They hated that most of it was explicitly not magical. While some of the maneuvers were magic, most were Extraordinary (meaning beyond normal human, but not magical). But what most of them really hated was the fact that you could just keep using maneuvers over and over all day long (there was a fairly big overlap between these people and the ones that thought the Warlock was OP). Because for some reason being able to use an ability repeatedly is super overpowered, regardless of the content of that ability.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean I guess if your spell asters are taking super inefficient blasting/healing spells and nothing else then some of the Bo9S stuff or Warlock might feel like they're better than full casters. I remember when my middle school group and I were first learning 3.5 we didnt really notice the magic/non-magic discrepancy until we started experimenting with non-healbot/blastbot casters.

It helped that we were following older modules the GMs dad gave him, so we knew that if you tried to rest and regain spells when you weren't supposed to you'd get ambushed in the night.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean I guess if your spell asters are taking super inefficient blasting/healing spells and nothing else then some of the Bo9S stuff or Warlock might feel like they're better than full casters. I remember when my middle school group and I were first learning 3.5 we didnt really notice the magic/non-magic discrepancy until we started experimenting with non-healbot/blastbot casters.

It helped that we were following older modules the GMs dad gave him, so we knew that if you tried to rest and regain spells when you weren't supposed to you'd get ambushed in the night.

I accidentally stumbled into caster dominance playing Dragonlance as a Red Robe and just annihilating encounters at first with Sleep, because Raistlin, and then Hypnotic Pattern, and it just snowballs from there.

(3E didn't invent caster dominance, 2E was there already just martials had more room to be good...ish)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah ours came when one of the other players said "hey you know my paladin is really awful, but I was looking at clerics and thing I could make a cleric who fights instead" and then we all started branching out from the base archetypes and nobody wanted to play a fighter again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

senrath posted:

But what most of them really hated was the fact that you could just keep using maneuvers over and over all day long (there was a fairly big overlap between these people and the ones that thought the Warlock was OP). Because for some reason being able to use an ability repeatedly is super overpowered, regardless of the content of that ability.

This kind of mentality was carried over into Pathfinder, where Paizo started putting daily limits on everything ... even if the daily limit was set to a number that a player would practically never hit in the course of play.

Or, alternatively, anything that was given at-will status did so with a lot of caveats, such as the Kineticist class, which ends up being a poor (poor!) man's Warlock.

Also, this sort of thing gets brought up in the context of the few people who review the Path of War content. I forget what proper noun they use to describe it, but basically, the idea is similar to the "bag of rats" - if you bring a bunch of chickens with you or whatever, and you throw one down on the ground and initiate combat with it in order to use your maneuvers, can you come up with an effect that you can exploit? If the answer is yes, they dock points from their impression of the content.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Andrast posted:

I don't think there is much difference between supernatural abilities and magic in D&D

Darwinism posted:

Right, but "supernatural abilities" are all expressed as spells.

It's one of those things that's completely and absolutely hosed up and you don't notice it right until you do. Genies don't grant wishes - they just get access to the wizard Wish spell.

Which means, if it's not a spell, it's not allowed to be supernatural.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Right, but "supernatural abilities" are all expressed as spells.

It's one of those things that's completely and absolutely hosed up and you don't notice it right until you do. Genies don't grant wishes - they just get access to the wizard Wish spell.

Which means, if it's not a spell, it's not allowed to be supernatural.

This isn't entirely true. There's a separate tag for Spell-like Abilities and Supernatural Abilities, like dragon breath. It's largely true though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Even then, a lot of Su abilities are "This is exactly the same as spell X, but it can't be dispelled because it's supernatural."

Edit: Like, I understand the usefulness of going "we've already written a spell that does what we want, so we'll just give to the creature as an SLA/SU", the problem is that it ended up being very much "rules as physics"ed into being "spells define everything" instead of "this was a useful shorthand".

senrath fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 19, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fool_of_sound posted:

This isn't entirely true. There's a separate tag for Spell-like Abilities and Supernatural Abilities, like dragon breath. It's largely true though.

aren't supernatural abilities just spells without the casting requirements that everyone already ignores anyway?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

aren't supernatural abilities just spells without the casting requirements that everyone already ignores anyway?

Spell-like Abilities mimic specific spells. Supernatural Abilities typically do not; again, dragon breath is supernatural because it's magical in nature, but doesn't mimic a spell.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

S.J. posted:

Even ignoring the fact that probably fewer people ignored the casting requirements than you think, no. Supernatural abilities in 3.PF are a catchall "This is a magic ability of some sort, it ignores spell resistance, it cannot be dispelled, and it cannot be countered." They range from "literally a spell, but with the changes listed above" to "a strange ability literally one unique creature has."

I think you're confusing them with spell-like abilities, which are literally "a spell, but without any of the components."

Also most people probably didn't ignore the casting requirements. Unless you're counting the silly fluff material components some spells had, which were explicitly designed to be ignored (via spell component pouch or Eschew Materials).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh right, I always got the two names mixed up. I was thinking spell-like

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fool_of_sound posted:

but it's a deliberate feature added in 3rd. They wanted everything to largely be running on 'the same system' rather than having weird subtables for how each class works.
It was Monte's Monkey Paw for "make everyone a wizard,' in that nearly everything that wasn't mundane (you still kept the weird subsystems and table for poo poo like lifting, grappling, and parlaying) became a spell and worked off the same model.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I know it's been a while, I just remember everything either being "a spell" or "basically a spell, but"

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ex and Su have tons of overlap in 3E, too, because they have no consistent idea what counts as a creature's innate abilities and a creature having powers. Stuff like the balor's Death Throes (suicide bomb) being Ex and its flaming whip with special rules being Ex but also having a Su ability that just says "it has a vorpal sword that like, looks really cool man"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I really hate the "only [Magic-Users] can do special things while [Fighting-Men] are bound to the strict laws of real-world physics" thing.

Like if any nerd can spend a few years in school reading books and learning to wave a stick the right way to throw a fireball that blows up a squad of troops then someone who spends the same amount of time training should be able to cut a squad of troops in half with one stroke of their sword.

Most of the stuff in a standard D&D-like monster manual doesn't exactly follow the laws of physics either so just let everything be magic or have the ability to use the equivalent of the game world's magic (psionics, ancient terraforming nanites, midi-chlorians, whatever the gently caress) to do cool stuff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's unrealistic to be able to Full Attack all day. You should be able to use your iterative attacks 1/day when you gain your first at level 6, up to 3/day when you gain your third, assuming a full BAB class.

It's just physics.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hit points are meat. If you kill enough goblins to attain level 2 you double your body mass, like in real life

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's unrealistic to be able to Full Attack all day. You should be able to use your iterative attacks 1/day when you gain your first at level 6, up to 3/day when you gain your third, assuming a full BAB class.

It's just physics.

Sadly enough, if you balanced it like wizard spells you'd probably end up with a more powerful fighter with this approach.

BattleMaster posted:

Hit points are meat. If you kill enough goblins to attain level 2 you double your body mass, like in real life

I'd love to see this kind of amoeba-warrior written up as a full class/race.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Gort posted:

Sadly enough, if you balanced it like wizard spells you'd probably end up with a more powerful fighter with this approach.
poo poo. Ok. If you wish your feats to apply to more than one attack, you have to take them more than one time. Your first feat only covers doing it once.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One faintly interesting approach I saw in a third-party supplement was to change Fighter combat feats such that they'd come with a thrice-per-day limit on effects that were more powerful.

That is, if you took Improved Trip, you could just automatically knock a monster prone, three times per day, on top of what Improved Trip normally does.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

One faintly interesting approach I saw in a third-party supplement was to change Fighter combat feats such that they'd come with a thrice-per-day limit on effects that were more powerful.

That is, if you took Improved Trip, you could just automatically knock a monster prone, three times per day, on top of what Improved Trip normally does.

I kind of like that idea, except for the main problem of just turning feats into another spell list that Wizards also get access to. Like it actually addresses the issue that martials get no declarative effects which is a lot more than most 'solutions' to that problem

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gradenko_2000 posted:

it would be neat if they broke stuff into different uses based on how powerful the ability was, like some base stuff really could be used all day, other things maybe you get 3-6 per day (you know roughly once per fight) and really powerful stuff is only once per day. Can't see why d&d never tried giving all classes something like that

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, this sort of thing gets brought up in the context of the few people who review the Path of War content. I forget what proper noun they use to describe it, but basically, the idea is similar to the "bag of rats" - if you bring a bunch of chickens with you or whatever, and you throw one down on the ground and initiate combat with it in order to use your maneuvers, can you come up with an effect that you can exploit? If the answer is yes, they dock points from their impression of the content.

Is that related to the Chicken Infested flaw? People used to theorycraft 3e D&D builds using that Dragon Magazine flaw. It always seemed like it was in good fun though, and iirc one build involved dual wielding chickens as improvised weapons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is that related to the Chicken Infested flaw? People used to theorycraft 3e D&D builds using that Dragon Magazine flaw. It always seemed like it was in good fun though, and iirc one build involved dual wielding chickens as improvised weapons.

no, it's more like, if you have a power like this:

quote:

Enduring Crane Strike

Discipline: Silver Crane (Strike) [good]; Level: 1
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: Target creature(s)
Duration: Instance

DESCRIPTION

Making his soul a wellspring of holy power, the disciple strikes out at a foe to unleashed his holy power to restore health to himself or an ally. The initiator makes an attack against a target creature, inflicting damage as normal, and the strike restores 1d6 hit points plus his initiation modifier to the initiator or to an ally within 30-ft.

you could theoretically keep a bag of rats or chickens or whatever other rodent or pest in your bags, then whenever you need health, you let out a rat, chicken, etc., attack it with this thing, and then do it over and over again until you're healed up

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

no, it's more like, if you have a power like this:

you could theoretically keep a bag of rats or chickens or whatever other rodent or pest in your bags, then whenever you need health, you let out a rat, chicken, etc., attack it with this thing, and then do it over and over again until you're healed up

Yep. And guess which edition definitely solved the bag of rats issue for healing by implementing a cap on the number of heals a character could receive per day? If you guessed the only good edition, you are right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jimbozig posted:

Yep. And guess which edition definitely solved the bag of rats issue for healing by implementing a cap on the number of heals a character could receive per day? If you guessed the only good edition, you are right!

nah that wasn't the solution to the bag of rats issue (because you could still bag of rats with stuff like cleric at-wills and encounter powers that gave small hp gains without surges) the real solution was in the DMG for that edition: Talk to your players and tell them stuff like that wouldn't fly and ask why they felt they needed to do that stuff and ensure everyone felt you were playing fair/that they didn't need to do cheesy things like that which violates the spirit of the game and themes you're trying to evoke

edit: I also think bag of rats was also used as an example for stuff like greater cleave shenanigans to ensure you got to attack all nearby enemies every round

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 19, 2019