Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I fully expect holidays 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Anytime any game has a release date of a specific year it almost 100% never means Jan 1st of that year :shrug:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zillions magazine posted:

Anytime any game has a release date of a specific year it almost 100% never means Jan 1st of that year :shrug:

Especially when the actual given date is "on or before Dec 31st of this specific year".

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Zipperelli. posted:

Has Blizz announced a release date for WC3:R or is it just still '2019'?

My dumb rear end pre-ordered thinking it was going to be released before midnight on 12/31/2018, and when January hit, I was very confused.

READING COMPREHENSION IS CRUCIAL

It boggles the mind how you thought this lol.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fanatic posted:

It boggles the mind how you thought this lol.

I was genuinely interested, and didn't pay attention. I thought I saw 2018 instead of 2019. :shrug:

No worries, it was money that I was going to spend on it anyways, I just hoped I would see it sooner than Holiday 2019 (probably).

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
All I wanna know is if the highperching crew is getting back together for reforged.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Lurgy posted:

All I wanna know is if the highperching crew is getting back together for reforged.

I never got in on this back in the day but, yeah, also very interested for reasons

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

to get back together would mean we would have to have fallen apart

we still here, click my website:
https://buggy.email/

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

time for a joke posted:

to get back together would mean we would have to have fallen apart

we still here, click my website:
https://buggy.email/

nice website

I hear iceberg slim is a doctor these days

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought Blizzard said at Blizzcon that Reforge would be out early 2019. I don't know how it can take a long time to develop a low effort remaster, but Blizzard did just lay off 800+ people and shuffle everyone around into new unannounced projects.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I said come in! posted:

low effort remaster

Have you looked at literally anything from Reforged?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

Have you looked at literally anything from Reforged?

It's not doing anything that every other remaster hasn't already done. Blizzard is just super inefficient with their resources like they have always been.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It's not doing anything that every other remaster hasn't already done. Blizzard is just super inefficient with their resources like they have always been.

I disagree. Other than new graphics and resolution bumps, they're also redesigning the UI, reworking all the campaigns and recording new voice acting for all the units (and presumably all the cutscenes then).

You can see Grubby's campaign level playthrough from Blizzcon here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5caBx1qc3E and in case you never played through the campaigns it is COMPLETELY different from the original, not just remastered.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fanatic posted:

I disagree. Other than new graphics and resolution bumps, they're also redesigning the UI, reworking all the campaigns and recording new voice acting for all the units (and presumably all the cutscenes then).

You can see Grubby's campaign level playthrough from Blizzcon here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5caBx1qc3E and in case you never played through the campaigns it is COMPLETELY different from the original, not just remastered.

I thought they were only recording new lines for the characters that had different voice actors in WoW, and were only redesigning levels of locations that appeared in WoW (such as Stratholm)?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
New voices? gently caress that I demand a refund

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I thought they were only recording new lines for the characters that had different voice actors in WoW, and were only redesigning levels of locations that appeared in WoW (such as Stratholm)?

Ah okay.

Comrayn posted:

New voices? gently caress that I demand a refund

From what I heard you'll be able to toggle the graphics and audio to the original game. I remember Grubby talking about how he might have to toggle the graphics because so far the new unit models don't look as distinguishable as the old ones.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fanatic posted:

Ah okay.

It actually turns out you were more correct, it seems. I looked around and it seems to be reported as a full rerecording with some script changes. Not sure about the campaign rework but at least two missions look like they're getting significant changes.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If Chris Metzen doesn’t voice a minimum 75% of the lines can they really claim it’s faithful to the original?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The higher price and changes compared to the exact 1:1 remake of Starcraft puts me in wait and see mode for Reforged.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As an aside, I'm replaying the Rise of the Blood Elves custom campaign right now.

I just beat the last mission, but I just wanna say, General Tiras-alan is a dick.

So, little bit of background for people unfamiliar. Rise of the Blood Elves is an honestly very well made custom campaign as the Blood Elves, complete with custom, complete tech tree. Plot-wise, it picks up immediately following Illidan's defeat by Arthas at the end of Frozen Throne. The first level consists of dragging Illidan's beaten rear end back to Hellfire Citadel, dealing with rebellious Fel Orcs, securing Outland, then moving on to other stuff. It goes through the Blood Elves liberating Quel'thalas from the Scourge and killing Dar'khan Drathir (with assistance from Sylvanas and the Forsaken, also with a custom tech tree and with their own campaign taking place after Rise of the Blood Elves), and then finally going through the basic plot of Burning Crusade, except replacing the Player Characters of the MMO with the Blood Elves in RTS form, led by Lor'themar Theron. Illidan is fought and killed in the Black Temple, Kael'thas is defeated in Tempest Keep, and culminating in the assault on Sunwell Plateau by the Shattered Sun Offensive.

Right, now you're up to speed. So, in that Sunwell Plateau map, there is a side objective to clear out one of the smaller enemy bases so that your Draenei allies can get in, build their own base, and start helping out as an AI Ally. They bring a hero with them, General Tiras-alan. Now, he is smart enough to grab items and use them. There are a few Demon Portals that will open as the map drags on that will drop tomes when destroyed. If you're slow, or don't notice them, he will absolutely swipe them for himself.

Of note, in Warcraft 3 campaign fashion, one of your previous heroes who is unavailable for the last map gets their inventory dumped on the ground in your base for your other heroes to pick at and take what they want. So, at one point in the map, my main force is off somewhere else attacking the enemy base. An infernal from one of those demon portals shows up in my base, so the few units I have there start fighting back. Except most of them actually do magic damage. So they can't hurt the Infernal.

To my joy, I notice Tiras-alan marching into my base! Hooray, he's come to help kill this loving infernal! Then I notice he's grabbing that pile of items that I actually forgot to pick through for the good stuff. Oh well, my heroes are kitted out pretty well anyway. He can have that stuff.

And then I notice... Hey! He's LEAVING! Without helping fight the Infernal!

That dick! He didn't come to help at all! He just went "ooh, items! DIBS!" And hosed off!

rear end in a top hat.

(He did help out in other ways, but still. It's the principle of the thing.)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1103659078595809280

WarCraft 1&2 coming to GoG.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wonder why not their own

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

how dare bli$zard activision try to make their old lovely games more accessible

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Warcraft II is barely playable now and Warcraft I is a straight-up yeesh experience with its four-unit selection and nearly non-existent engagement radius for units. $10 feels a little steep for Diablo.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I played War2 recently with Dosbox. Definitely miss some quality of life stuff but I still love the music and the 2d aged relatively well. I'd love an HD remake.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

That's great news.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Wonder why not their own
GOG are probably better equipped at porting DOS era games to modern OS's than Blizzard because they've been doing it for years.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fanatic posted:

GOG are probably better equipped at porting DOS era games to modern OS's than Blizzard because they've been doing it for years.

There's also no demand for a modernized Warcraft I and II like there was for Starcraft, so there's no point in doing it in-house and having fans expect poo poo like updated graphics or a modern matchmaker.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

This might be the wrong thread but I have a question. Just bought Diablo1 on GoG and I've turned off all my firewalls and opened up ports 6112-6119 but I'm still unable to host battle.net games. Is there something i'm missing? I remember having this problem back in the day but what I did used to fix it.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

dr.acula posted:

This might be the wrong thread but I have a question. Just bought Diablo1 on GoG and I've turned off all my firewalls and opened up ports 6112-6119 but I'm still unable to host battle.net games. Is there something i'm missing? I remember having this problem back in the day but what I did used to fix it.

I'd double check your settings here - https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7842

Otherwise the ports might still be blocked on by your ISP meaning you'd need to use a VPN? https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/trouble_getting_battlenet_working/page1

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

dr.acula posted:

You're running the regular Diablo 1 right? They've packaged in the original and an updated version that has modern support for resolutions and Windows 10, but only the former can connect to Battle.net.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Yep, the other version doesn't even have Bnet on the list I dont think but I'm not at home to double check.

I'll probably have to mess around with VPN I guess...which I have no experience with at all :negative:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fanatic posted:

That's great news.

Blizzard in-house could for sure do this stuff no problem, but there's certain expectations when Blizzard releases a title on their platform as opposed to GOG.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

has then been any more news on reforged yet?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

has then been any more news on reforged yet?

They're probably still working out how to give the night elf units a maximum amount of cleavage

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fanatic posted:

They're probably still working out how to give the night elf units a maximum amount of cleavage

druids too I hope.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I never played WCMaul before yesterday and now I'm strangely addicted.

Is there a site to look up maze patterns?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Just build the cigar cross hair from Dusk and you'll be fine.

This is assuming you play a version with the creep pathing spots marked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warcraft I & II are available now on Good Old Games.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Whomever buys it please tell us what the "quality of life improvements" actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Whomever buys it please tell us what the "quality of life improvements" actually are.

Widescreen support and II is battle.net edition, from what I am reading.

Warcraft I is not a very good game and I don't recommend it unless you need the nostalgia hit. II is... Not too bad for an RTS game from 1995.