Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Once you've got a bit of grounding for the show's ~lore~ all of the Tabletop Game Theorys are must-listens too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Enter the Noid
Hot Couch Nation
The readings from Ben Shapiro and Steven Seagal, which I'm sure you can find compilations of on Youtube
The President's Neck Is Missing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5w5MzyRVhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Wz1KhdSRw

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Unfortunately the Caleb Saga is probably the best content. But I really like the CPAC and Politicon dispatches (I think the early ones are premium feed only), the Rod Dreher blog readings, and of course the True Allegiance readings

E: In general you can skip the first like 10-15 episodes and any episodes about a topic that looks boring and also any of the interviews or live shows

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 17, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They should release Enter the Noid, it's the best ad for the show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
the bonus episode this week is boring

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Eat your vegetables

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

WampaLord posted:

Okay so after going "what the gently caress is Chapo?" forever I finally bit the bullet and started listening and the Caleb Saga is loving cracking my poo poo up, what else is mandatory listening?

They literally just put the first part (from episode 49) of the Caleb stuff on YouTube on their official channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1F2ejZ-tGc

It's worth noting that someone in the comments has... THE BEST news ever. I quote: "Not sure if you guys followed up in the Jeff Jacoby/Caleb Jacoby saga, but on June 6, 2017, Caleb Jacoby wrote another letter to his son, this time about his dismay that his son won't return his phone calls and that he likes Jeremy Corbyn."

gently caress I LOVE CALEB HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

*pounds on the table* CALEB! CALEB! CALEB!

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Holy poo poo it’s the news I’ve been waiting to hear

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also all the Matt v Brady appearances.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

It's worth noting that someone in the comments has... THE BEST news ever. I quote: "Not sure if you guys followed up in the Jeff Jacoby/Caleb Jacoby saga, but on June 6, 2017, Caleb Jacoby wrote another letter to his son, this time about his dismay that his son won't return his phone calls and that he likes Jeremy Corbyn."

gently caress I LOVE CALEB HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jonas Albrecht posted:

*pounds on the table* CALEB! CALEB! CALEB!

Growing up with an extremely overprotective Jewish father, words can't describe how much I relate to Caleb

ETA:

Ron Jeremy posted:

Episode 3 freeway Ross Douthat where they read his account of terrible college sex and doing totally not gay with with William buckley on his boat.

Listening to this right now and loving oh my god

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 17, 2019

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

incoherent posted:

I can only ask so much from the hot couch guys about a topic that is easily "hardcore history" tier of podcasting endurance. But, it's a start for a lot of us.

He's not a hot couch guy though, he's an economist and a former member of the Greek Parliament. He should know better.

I mean the guy said the Brexit result didn't inflame the xenophobic right, which is pure horseshit.

Basically just listen to the actual DBZ: Brexit episode, which is fun and informative, and ignore the bonus episode, which had an extremely narrow viewpoint and plenty of inaccuracies. The Chapo reddit thread on this episode actually has an insightful discussion on how one-dimensional his lecture was so I'm not gonna waste time on it here if someone is interested.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

getting turned off when a woman tells you she's on the pill might be the most incredibly brokebrained thing i've ever heard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was gonna suggest my Euro friend listen to that episode but yeah, saying the whole vote didn't inflame xenophobia is bullshit and I'm sure his prediction of a No Deal Brexit is far too rosy.

GNU Order posted:

Unfortunately the Caleb Saga is probably the best content. But I really like... the Rod Dreher blog readings
How? That guy is a bigoted ghoul and you can't make him funny. Frankly, I don't see why they keep going back to that well.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

getting turned off when a woman tells you she's on the pill might be the most incredibly brokebrained thing i've ever heard.

It makes perfect sense if he was just a closeted gay man, like I know it's cliche as gently caress to say that anti-gay conservatives are secretly in the closet but it explains both that and the desire to skinny dip with William Buckley

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah Dreher bits are always great, the Wife Possessor and bimbofication being the standouts

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

get that OUT of my face posted:

How? That guy is a bigoted ghoul and you can't make him funny. Frankly, I don't see why they keep going back to that well.

You didn't enjoy the bimboification episode?

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

if you don't like it when chapo ridicules bigoted ghouls, i have some bad news

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

If having vile opinions disqualified people from being entertaining reading series, I don't know who'd be left for them to cover.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uranium posted:

if you don't like it when chapo ridicules bigoted ghouls, i have some bad news
What I meant was that his homophobic and transphobic bile is so beyond the pale, so dripping with absolute hatred, that it's not even funny to make fun of, unlike a perpetually bumbling pundit like Brooks. At least with McArdle there are a lot of neuroses to unpack, Dreher doesn't have that.

Also, I kinda wish they'd expand the roster of poo poo take people to just the six to eight they've got. Give Mo Dowd a spin, she writes actual fanfiction every so often.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Mrs Miasel fanfic was harder to listen to than any of Rod's pathetic whining.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone have a link to the Letter to Caleb written in 2017? I can't find it, and I'm worried this bit of Schadenfreude might be too good to be true.

As for Rod Dreher, his hatred of gays and transgender people is pretty disgusting, but for me it's balanced out by the complete mental wreck Rod's made of his own psyche. I've read the guy (via Roy Edroso's blog) for years and the dude's just such a hot mess that whatever flashes of anger I get reading his lovely opinions is quickly overwhelmed by the pathos of Rod talking about how he needs that butch orthodox religion or how his family hates him or how one of his Extremely Successful And Urbane Friends Who's Totally Real And Just As Much Of A Snakehandler As He Is saw a bunch of transwomen casting a hex on Ted Cruz.

Speaking of Rod (and Roy's blog, which if you're a fan of CTH you'd enjoy), here's Rod talking about how he's too sensitive to change the cat litter.

http://alicublog.blogspot.com/2019/03/roddy-dreher-is-too-sensitive-to-work.html

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Letter to Caleb written in 2017? I can't find it, and I'm worried this bit of Schadenfreude might be too good to be true.

this wasn't written in '17 but it's the one they did a reading on then.

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/302/messages-to-my-son

if that isn't it the rest are here.

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/topics/121/letters-to-caleb

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 18, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

this wasn't written in '17 but it's the one they did a reading on then.

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/302/messages-to-my-son

if that isn't it the rest are here.

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/topics/121/letters-to-caleb

Oh neat, they have a feature where you can search jacoby articles by topic. Let's just see what else he's written about

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The Chapo bonus ep guest is kinda emblematic of an issue with the Left attributing working class only to white workers, and like, someone voting Leave because they want the Poles out of their island is not exactly showing it to the big banks and big business.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just heard on one of my favourite new podcasts (owls at dawn) that there is an ep of chapo where they do acid and go to some political rally? I'm assuming its this: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/a-neoliberal-nightmare-at-ozy-fest-2018-702600/
but does anybody know the name or have a link to the corresponding episode?

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

230 - A Colossal Wreck

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

As for Rod Dreher, his hatred of gays and transgender people is pretty disgusting, but for me it's balanced out by the complete mental wreck Rod's made of his own psyche. I've read the guy (via Roy Edroso's blog) for years and the dude's just such a hot mess that whatever flashes of anger I get reading his lovely opinions is quickly overwhelmed by the pathos of Rod talking about how he needs that butch orthodox religion or how his family hates him or how one of his Extremely Successful And Urbane Friends Who's Totally Real And Just As Much Of A Snakehandler As He Is saw a bunch of transwomen casting a hex on Ted Cruz.
I'm the exact opposite; my sympathy for his lovely upbringing stops short when he reminds me that he's brimming with hatred for anyone who isn't a Neo-Puritan freak, and wants everyone to live in these Shyamalan Villages that are the perfect environment for getting away with child abuse.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Episode 12 is also worth checking out, it's Virgil's first appearance on the show and they go deep into the lore of the Carl Diggler character and their love of Ron Fournier.

LOVE
THAT
BOY

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Lampsacus posted:

I just heard on one of my favourite new podcasts (owls at dawn) that there is an ep of chapo where they do acid and go to some political rally? I'm assuming its this: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/a-neoliberal-nightmare-at-ozy-fest-2018-702600/
but does anybody know the name or have a link to the corresponding episode?

Literally posted:

230 - A Colossal Wreck

Matt does it again at CPAC in ep 294

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I've been listening to Got Yourself a Gun, a kinda dumb bad quality sopranos podcast. Out of nowhere Felix was guesting on their latest episode. It's not that good, but figured y'all should know.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Literally posted:

230 - A Colossal Wreck

That intro is an all timer.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1107719709280141313?s=19

Eli is on one lately in the best possible sense.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol

wtf did she do tho recently (or ever) that has her getting blamed for the christchurch shooting? I mean, besides being a neo-lib and the daughter of bill and hillary. did she say some specific stuff lately?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

lol

wtf did she do tho recently (or ever) that has her getting blamed for the christchurch shooting? I mean, besides being a neo-lib and the daughter of bill and hillary. did she say some specific stuff lately?

Led the charge against Ilhan Omar.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Also started her patronizing with "as an American," as if Omar isn't.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh gently caress for real? How did I miss that

That was also Adam's biggest tweet before he moved onto taking down bam. How did I forget
https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/1095100607722078209

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

Oh gently caress for real? How did I miss that

That was also Adam's biggest tweet before he moved onto taking down bam. How did I forget
https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/1095100607722078209

It's the last bit that is the strongest -- don't namesearch. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

prefect posted:

It's the last bit that is the strongest -- don't namesearch. :colbert:

Nah, namesearch every time you glance at your phone, just don’t get caught like that