Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Me is already a block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seeric posted:

I just figured out The Floatiest Platforms almost immediately after going back to it despite being stuck on it for over an hour yesterday!

The actual solution is very simple so any hints at all are going to be fairly spoilery, but here is basically one hint with increasing explicit phrasing:

Rule positioning does not matter.

Pay close attention to the rules.

One rule in particular matters.

What kills Baba?

Baba isn't falling into a pit, Baba is dying when they are "Lonely".

I also recently beat Queue. I can't think of a good way to give anything beyond very vague hints without outright spoiling this one either, so here are four hints for that one in no particular order:

What is the most obvious thing you need to do to reach the goal?

Every word is used.

Think on what having I and S could let you do that having a small "is" cannot.

Think on how "Near" could be relevant, experiment.

I'd welcome any hints for Hazel Den and Baba Has Keke since I think they're just about the only levels I have left at this point (I'm over the 210 mark).

EDIT: I just beat Baba Has Keke and Hazel Den! Apparently doing the late-game stuff has really helped my ability to figure out midgame stuff. I'm still missing an orb though.

Also, as others have said, thank you Hempuli for making this fantastic game (and ESA, which is also fantastic), I've been having a ton of fun with it!

I got Floatiest Platforms finally, I should've realized it was the ultimate test of understanding LONELY, and I finally passed it.

But I've been pondering Queue for days at this point and I just have no idea what the significance of the separate I and S is. I'm really gonna need something more here.

E: Ugh and I'm completely stuck in META I don't have enough flags to open 3 doors!!! and am stumped on Depths Extra 1 and 2. I've completed everything else, I have nothing else to work on! Frustrating!!

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 18, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This game is appearing in my dreams now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just made it through the 7 flower door :stare: I knew some meta poo poo was coming but not like this lol

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

But I've been pondering Queue for days at this point and I just have no idea what the significance of the separate I and S is. I'm really gonna need something more here.

I'd recommend solving some more puzzles in Meta first since doing those really helped to make Queue and some other older puzzles click for me in ways that they simply hadn't before, but here are a few bigger hints for Queue:

Think on why something would need to Float in this level.

Think on why the word Baba is where it is, what it stops you from doing with the words you have.

Don't discount the most obvious and simple solution to the problem of Baba and Keke being in your way. No matter how impossible it may seem, it IS possible. Making that "obvious and simple" solution possible in the first place is rather tricky though.

Here are the biggest hints I can think to give:

You need to be able to push Keke, but to do this you simultaneously need to...?

You need to overlap things.

Finally, here's the solution for if anyone is well and truly stuck:

We're going to be using the ice as a one-way teleporter for the letters. First, push one of the ice blocks directly above Keke (diagonal also works). Next, push the other block into somewhere farther away, but make sure you have plenty of room below and to the right of it; the middle of the enclosure that the word Baba is embedded in works fine. Break up Ice Is Push so you can push the big "I" onto the ice block near Keke. Now make the phrase Ice Near Keke Is Float and line it up so the word "Keke" is on top of the ice. Remember, Text Is Float so Ice can only interact with Text when Ice is floating! Finish this part by making Ice Is Tele in the other direction. Only the ice near Keke is floating so, while both ice teleporters are working, only the one near Keke can interact with Text and the"I" will be teleported on top of the word Keke, combining them into a single "I Keke" tile. Temporarily break up Ice Is Tele to prevent any accidents. Push the big "S" onto the ice block near Keke and push Ice Near Keke Is Float one tile over so that "Is" is on top of the ice block. Put Ice Is Tele back together and now the S will teleport onto the "Is" and we're nearly done. Baba finally comes into play and we just need to push a few blocks around next to the word "Baba" to make the phrase Baba I/Keke S/Is Push, which lets you have Baba IS Push and Keke Is Push at the same time. Simply push Keke and Baba out of your way and grab the flag.

On another note, I reached a level called Getting Together yesterday and it took me somewhere around three hours to solve it and when I did it was exciting enough that I had trouble going to sleep; I never thought I'd get an adrenaline rush from this sort of puzzle game, but here we are. It would be a lie to say that I'm not looking forward to seeing the first few reactions from the thread when more people come across it because it's the best kind of nonsense.

Seeric fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seeric posted:

I'd recommend solving some more puzzles in Meta first since doing those really helped to make Queue and some other older puzzles click for me in ways that they simply hadn't before, but here are a few bigger hints for Queue:

I wish I could! But I'm stuck there too which is particularly annoying because I can't even go try other levels and come back when being stuck in the Meta overworld means I can't GET to any new levels. I've got to the point where I can create Level is Push and move them around, so I think I'm supposed to destroy the water at the top, but I can't open all three doors so I can't figure out how to progress.

At least I've got Queue now, thanks. Overlapping text is my biggest weakness, though I did successfully just solve Out at Sea which is all about that. I have to try and keep that kind of thinking in mind more.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I wish I could! But I'm stuck there too which is particularly annoying because I can't even go try other levels and come back when being stuck in the Meta overworld means I can't GET to any new levels. I've got to the point where I can create Level is Push and move them around, so I think I'm supposed to destroy the water at the top, but I can't open all three doors so I can't figure out how to progress.

You don't need three flags, but you do need two Babas and two flags. If you're not sure how that's possible, the level that holds the key is Mutual Feelings.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there any hidden content at the end of Chasm?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seeric posted:

You don't need three flags, but you do need two Babas and two flags. If you're not sure how that's possible, the level that holds the key is Mutual Feelings.

Oh now that is really really cool

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've been moderately spoiled (unfortunately); can anyone tell me if there's anything permanently missable with the various end-game stuff?

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I don't think you can permanently miss anything judging by what I've seen and I at least think I'm farther in the game than anyone else in this thread at the moment (I've finished Meta).

I also have some questions of my own. First, has anyone found any secrets in the level Endless Corridor? It could be that there really isn't anything to the level since it serves as a transition of sorts, but it's possible to beat it just by walking to the flag and there are no other obvious win conditions. Second, has anyone found an orb other than the one in the red level on the island and the secret level in the ??? world. I'm definitely missing one and have been looking all over the place, but I can't find it anywhere.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm still on, like, the first few sets of stages and every new glimpse of future nonsense in this thread fills me with a deep dread.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing I find annoying is that some late game mechanics are introduced without tutoring them. Like NOT in front of a sentence, or NOT NOT to eliminate their effect. One thing The Witness did well was give a huge tutorial for each new puzzle mechanic, so you never felt you were thrown into something with no obvious solution.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gah. Lock the Door. Deep Forest 10. Need a nudge. Just a tiny little hint. One small suggestion. I’ve got this, I swear, I just...

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Fedule posted:

Gah. Lock the Door. Deep Forest 10. Need a nudge. Just a tiny little hint. One small suggestion. I’ve got this, I swear, I just...

What action verbs can you have more than one thing do at once?
More explicitly, What do you think will happen if multiple objects SHIFT at the same time?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 18, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Einwand posted:

What action verbs can you have more than one thing do at once?

Technically I already knew this but after this confirmation an extremely dumb gently caress new application of this predicate occurred to me. I cannot believe this works.

In summary; thanks, I hate it.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 18, 2019

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Gaaaaah, Tiny Isle. I don't want a hint, I just want to know if I'm taking the right approach.

I'm trying to engineer things so that I OPEN the bit of water directly above WIN, and then shove the text into the opening so I create BABA is YOU and WIN. I figured out how to move BABA is YOU horizontally, but I'm not sure that there's enough space that this approach is actually feasible. Should I keep trying?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Gaaaaah, Tiny Isle. I don't want a hint, I just want to know if I'm taking the right approach.

I'm trying to engineer things so that I OPEN the bit of water directly above WIN, and then shove the text into the opening so I create BABA is YOU and WIN. I figured out how to move BABA is YOU horizontally, but I'm not sure that there's enough space that this approach is actually feasible. Should I keep trying?

Right method, wrong side of the pond

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Your approach is slightly wrong.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Not providing any new information, but if you prefer your hint in the form of a pun: You aren't. You're taking the down approach.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
But... but... that makes no sense! I thought about coming in from the left but I discarded it, because I couldn't figure out how to turn BABA is YOU from vertical to horizontal. Now I need to wait until I get home to find out how much of an idiot I am. :saddowns:

BRAIN is YOU
BABA is DEFEAT

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

To clarify a couple things:

- Regarding Prison - the lesson taught there is relevant in a couple puzzles later (and I personally kinda like that particular quirk), but the point that that particular behaviour isn't very intuitive is very much valid and as a result the next patch will divide Prison into two separate levels that hopefully ease you into the concept better.

- Regarding the level in the bottom-right corner: You're only ever supposed to get one orb from it; next build will fix that.

- Broken playground: the extra bit in the bottom-left corner is leftovers from an old version of the level, it'll be gone next patch.

- The game tries not to do arbitrary orders-of-operations and for the most part the game logic is fairly consistent, but the movement system (particularly when multiple objects with Move do stuff at the same time) is the one part where a good way to make everything consistently happen "simultaneously" for all objects hasn't emerged. For the record, none of the puzzles in the game should require e.g. multiple objects with Move pushing objects from many directions because of this.

It's been a lot of fun to read the thread, thanks so much for the mega-kind response! :3

Game is Good!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
is

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

But... but... that makes no sense! I thought about coming in from the left but I discarded it, because I couldn't figure out how to turn BABA is YOU from vertical to horizontal. Now I need to wait until I get home to find out how much of an idiot I am. :saddowns:

BRAIN is YOU
BABA is DEFEAT

BABA is not the only thing that can be YOU.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok just saw that Hempuli posted here, looked him up, and realized he also made Environmental Station Alpha which is a Real Good Game. Thread is Good. Game is Good.

Anyway I finally had a eureka moment on Tiny Isle, and then rode that victory high straight into completing Dim Signal in like 3 minutes. This game makes me feel so proud of myself (when it doesn't make me feel like a dunce).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
SKULL HOOOOOOUSE!

How has that stupid garbage yet completely logical application of the mechanics not come up before

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

thank you and do you have any more b/c i added them to my discord and people are demanding

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Not gonna lie, I've been looking for a new craft project and Baba seems perfect for a double-knit scarf or blanket or something :3:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I constructed the solution in AB and then found out I had done it upside down. Oops.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

tudabee posted:

Not gonna lie, I've been looking for a new craft project and Baba seems perfect for a double-knit scarf or blanket or something :3:

Quilt the blocks?

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Well, I think I might more or less be done with Baba Is You. I have completed a grand total of 217 levels and I've found 3 orbs, which I have used to unlock a thing which was neat and also seems to have at least one more secret involved with it that I have not figured out (vague details)it probably involves the letter M somehow. I'm also fairly sure that I am missing, at the bare minimum, either 1 or 3 levels and I am confident in the location of at least one of them judging by the icon for a certain Steam achievement, but I have absolutely no idea how to reach them and I've spent quite a lot of time fumbling around.

In other words: Game Is Good and I've gotten less sleep than I probably should have over the last few days from going for "just one more level".

EDIT: The new patch just gave me all my missing achievements, so maybe I was wrong about there being more levels after all! That still doesn't explain why a certain thing is in a secret area near the very end since I can't find any use for it, so I'm guessing it's either actually useless or an especially hidden Easter egg. I also noticed that the initial "end" level has had a small change and Prison has been turned into two levels, Prison and Dungeon.

Seeric fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 19, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The solution I found to Mountain-2 "Love at First Sight" is impressively tragic.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Meta-12 is awful and I hate it :negative:

I was streaming it earlier, and Hempuli stopped by to say hello and talk about game design a little bit. That was nice.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Stuck on Deep Forst 8 (Jaywalkers Unite)

I can't save the whole sentence on the left, and I can't go and push things around myself since I'll 100% get stuck if I do. I have no idea how to create a win state here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Novasol posted:

Meta-12 is awful and I hate it :negative:

I was streaming it earlier, and Hempuli stopped by to say hello and talk about game design a little bit. That was nice.

Haha yeah I'm stuck again on that one and 15.

Still got Depths Extra 1 and 2 as well. Progress really slows down when I can't jump around all over the place. :(

Roluth posted:

Stuck on Deep Forst 8 (Jaywalkers Unite)

I can't save the whole sentence on the left, and I can't go and push things around myself since I'll 100% get stuck if I do. I have no idea how to create a win state here.

You can't stop the Kekes from hitting the sentence.... so don't try.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I took one look at the name of 15 and immediately figured it out, but didn't want to do it. Then I got stuck on 12 for 2 hours, failed to solve it, then went and rage-completed 15 so I could feel good about myself again.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

You can't stop the Kekes from hitting the sentence.... so don't try.

The post-to-solve a minute later combo keeps going! I assume the intended solution was to time my approach such that I could push the entire FLAG sentence into a full spread of Kekes, then let the Keke break up ROCK IS PUSH when the win condition is ready. Thanks anyways!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So I got the 7th flower and went to look behind that door since people were mentioning it. Oh no. LEVEL IS BABA. LEVEL IS YOU.
Edit: Is there an actual solution to FRAGILE EXISTENCE or is it just to screw around with the LEVEL IS THING stuff.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Einwand posted:

So I got the 7th flower and went to look behind that door since people were mentioning it. Oh no. LEVEL IS BABA. LEVEL IS YOU.
Edit: Is there an actual solution to FRAGILE EXISTENCE or is it just to screw around with the LEVEL IS THING stuff.

You can WIN that level just fine, if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You can also replay the level that got turned into baba by overlapping baba with the cursor and the other level by overlapping what you turned it into with the cursor (but not baba if it's the flag)

This may in fact be necessary because my first time through I turned the second level into keke before I replayed it to find out if I could actually beat it, noticed FLAG in an accessible location, and was like "wait a second..."