Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

She'll fly apart!

Fly her apart then!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

NoWake posted:

I believe his channel is a side gig to the video production he does for auto OEMs - really feels like he's doing videos for fun & to showcase his work, rather than rack up subscribers and views.

e: I mean just look at what he does for a 15-year-old Chrysler. It's art. Imagine what he could do for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQdZ2jOX1Ag&t=36s

so far his videos are good, i still don't hate doug, it's been great free entertainment for me :/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

motorweek retro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqKKI8xz4Aw

e: square box: an overall aerodynamic shape

Unironically agree. I love watching reviews of older cars when new.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey man you know how somedays you just collect a paycheck at work?

YouTubers gotta eat too.

Yeah, the ads are annoying and a ton of YouTubers have annoying voices or suffer from a lack of scripts, but it's too easy to tap right 5 times to the thing I want to see that's being provided for free to me by NordVPN.

This has been my lukewarm defense of YouTube promotions.

Yeah I know. I don't mind the promotions themselves (I always skip them anyway) because at least they'll get paid better and more reliably. I, however, do mind the selling out and following the mainstream of "the formula" for YouTube.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Some of them go to media agencies who contractually obligate them to do those things.

Same thing why every podcast is brought to you by Zip Recruiter and Casper

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd rather have a 4 minute video that gets to the point in a reasonable time and has 20 seconds of promotion than the same video with 10 minutes of padding to get YouTube ad money.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Jesus. Feels like the real full name for a diff should be "the difference between your bank account before drag slicks and after"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LifeSunDeath posted:

After wanting more top-gear-esq content, and being horribly unsatisfied watching rich kids on youtube gloating about their cars, I found Doug Demuro's channel and it's really good (i'm sure i'm going to get dog-piled for it not being good, whatever). Anyway, if you like a reasonable person's take on exotics, it's worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0uPfIujgU

I'm going to go against the trend, I like Doug. His "quirks and features" focus keeps it more interesting than a normal review. The "DougScore" is silly but who cares? Just turn it off when you get to that point.

I met him when he was driving his Aston cross country and he seems to be legitimately the guy you see in the videos. A bit awkward but genuinely interested in the most unusual vehicles. He spent probably 20 minutes going over a V10 Touareg someone brought while ignoring the Ferrari a few rows over.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm the demon control arm pulling forward on the red car, just look at the toe change :wow:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm pretty fed up with the "HI GUYS XXX HERE HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY WE HAVE A SPECIAL ONE BUT BEFORE WE GET TO THAT LETS TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO THANK TODAY'S SPONSOR (that everyone is sponsored by that can't possibly be that amazing but ok) OH AND DON'T FORGET TO LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!!" fake high energy stuff.

Related: Gaudy and over-the-top please-click-me thumbnails. Linus Tech Tips is a decent enough computer/tech channel, but every single one of his thumbnails makes me want to punch him in the loving face.

Similarly, I think Doug DeMuro makes pretty good, balanced car review videos, but his delivery gives me the urge to punch him right in the face.

I don’t normally have this reaction to people, I swear.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

MrYenko posted:

Related: Gaudy and over-the-top please-click-me thumbnails. Linus Tech Tips is a decent enough computer/tech channel, but every single one of his thumbnails makes me want to punch him in the loving face.

Similarly, I think Doug DeMuro makes pretty good, balanced car review videos, but his delivery gives me the urge to punch him right in the face.

Unfortunately a lot of the click bait titles and gaudy thumbnails come as a necessary evil thanks to Youtube's famously tragic ~*Algorithm*~

The target demographic for the entire site is early teens, stay at home mums and lonely nerds that fall into suggested video rabbit holes. So of course the more risque the title the more likely a teen will check out the video, the more SHOCKING TRICK THAT PROVES SCIENCE WRONG videos that get posted absorb all the naive clicks of conspiracy loving anti vaxxers, and your "Top 10 Anime Tiddies" take care of the last of the ad viewing garbage people.

Because of the heavy weight piled on by those crowds the algorithm starts favouring those kind of titles, tags and thumbnails so if you want your informative view on a serious subject to get seen by more than 12 people you need a flashy thumbnail, 102 different tags describing every tiny detail of your 5 min video, and a title like "YOU WONT BELIEVE MY REACTION TO THE SAME THING EVERYONE ELSE IS REACTING TO THIS WEEK!1!!!!"

Hate the game, not the players... Youtube sucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm the same, but I'll add that Hoover garage guy in there.

That said, the mechanic he uses, I think "Wizard" seems like a chill dude and has his own channel. Watched a couple of his vids and they were great.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The audio was really hard to make out in the early Wizard videos but that's improved over time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah the latest Car Wizard videos don't require me to turn my volume up to 100 to hear him.

Although a bit worried about his love for malaise era Mercedes Benzes, especially S Classes

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MrYenko posted:

Regarding Linus, besides provoking face punching rage he’s an incompetent buffoon.

Doug Demuro, I have no idea. I just refuse to click because he’s successfully gamed YouTube into inundating me with suggestions for hundreds of dipshit “WHY UNATTAINABLE LUXURY CAR X IS WORTH $Y MILLION DOLLARS” videos, all of which I am happy to assume have content worthy of the clickbaity title.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Y'all need some Aging Wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Vs4aLx5m0

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Aw man I fondly remember going on family vacations in the Trabbi. Five people, 750 miles, yea buddy.

:(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Linus is horrible IT failures

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dpack_1 posted:

There are plenty of content creators who don't make clickbait crap and do quite well. OTOH DeMuro is just pure crap with no redeeming features who would suck whatever the platform he is on.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slidebite posted:

Unironically agree. I love watching reviews of older cars when new.

Vintage Motorweek is great, especially the older stuff with the oontz-oontz-oontz-oontz-MEROWWWW intro.

I can't stand Hoover or Demuro. Both have the silver spoon syndrome, despite the spin they put on their plebeian job histories.

Linus is ok in small doses. I really like some of his office staff, esp Luke, Riley, and Alex.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ah yes, I love his channel.

I'm a Patreon even...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Linus Tech Tips is grating. He fucks up a few times an episode and then wonders why his expensive stuff doesn't work or why something broke. It wouldn't be so infuriating if he didn't break a $10k CPU or almost break, six $2k graphics cards, etc.

Linus, don't complain because the company that sent you a free expensive computer glued all their poo poo in place to keep you from taking it apart. Your fix for "how do I not drop poo poo on the floor" is to kick it before it hits the ground!

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 19, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RandomPauI posted:

Linus Tech Tips is grating. He fucks up a few times an episode and then wondering why his expensive stuff doesn't work or why something broke. It wouldn't be so infuriating if he didn't break a $10k CPU or almost break, six $2k graphics cards, etc.

Linus, don't complain because the company that sent you a free expensive computer glued all their poo poo in place to keep you from taking it apart. Your fix for "how do I not drop poo poo on the floor" is to kick it before it hits the ground!

Yeah LTT is garbage and shills for the weirdest poo poo.

Recently his videos are full of doing poo poo the worst loving way possible, usually barely getting it functional, and then bitching that it wasn't worth the upgrade.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Never seen that guy before, thanks for that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

RandomPauI posted:

Linus Tech Tips is grating. He fucks up a few times an episode and then wondering why his expensive stuff doesn't work or why something broke. It wouldn't be so infuriating if he didn't break a $10k CPU or almost break, six $2k graphics cards, etc.

Linus tech tips. The IT channel that doesnt understard RAID is not a backup and lost everything to a array failure.

Hey sounds like he ran Myspace.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't even count them as an IT channel. They're 30-something-old fratboys who do gimmick videos along with review videos that generate views in between their gimmick videos.

Edit:

Wasabi the J posted:

Recently his videos are full of doing poo poo the worst loving way possible, usually barely getting it functional, and then bitching that it wasn't worth the upgrade.

The one that saw me quit the channel was where they built an outdoor waterproof gaming setup they could play from a hot tub. Which consisted of unpainted wood and spraying waterproofer on the game controllers. I could see his crew building a groverhouse or the doom bathroom.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 19, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RandomPauI posted:

I don't even count them as an IT channel. They're 30-something-old fratboys who do gimmick videos along with review videos that generate views in between their gimmick videos.

Edit:

The one that saw me quit the channel was where they built an outdoor waterproof gaming setup they could play from a hot tub. Which consisted of unpainted wood and spraying waterproofer on the game controllers. I could see his crew building a groverhouse or the doom bathroom.

They have an 80 inch wallpaper OLED in their office that's literally just a monitor for tests.

It's maddening to see the wonderful tools they have being wasted so much.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah LTT is the kind of YouTuber that I mean when I say some people do not handle sponsored content very well. The video about the games streaming service was so bad when it comes to shilling.

Aging Wheels is nice. I like Jethro Bronner because it's one of very few channels that have vintage Alfa Romeos. He doesn't upload that often though. Mustie1 is what I envision the typical American rural male that fixes random stuff in his garage is like. Much VW-stuff.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There are plenty of content creators who don't make clickbait crap and do quite well. OTOH DeMuro is just pure crap with no redeeming features who would suck whatever the platform he is on.

Medical not mechanical but I like Chubbyemu because while his every video title is clickbaity as gently caress, the actual contents are well presented (and educational) medical cases. A Farmer Removed His Own Skin Cancer With A Pocket Knife. This Is What Happened To His Brain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKaJhQBusH8

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
God that guy is smug as poo poo I hate him.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

started laughing hysterically when it clicked

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^ Same here, holy poo poo hahaha.

cyberbug posted:

Medical not mechanical but I like Chubbyemu because while his every video title is clickbaity as gently caress, the actual contents are well presented (and educational) medical cases. A Farmer Removed His Own Skin Cancer With A Pocket Knife. This Is What Happened To His Brain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKaJhQBusH8

I have watched some videos and they are interesting from a medical perspective (although the ones I watched were super rare cases, so it's almost curiosities at that point). What I don't get is why I get the feeling that he is hiding what his actual profession is. Everywhere it says "licensed medical provider", but that is a pretty big group. Maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling he wants to come across as a medical doctor but (obviously) doesn't want to say he is when he isn't.

VVV: Absolutely. Though I just get that "lets you believe until asked about it" feeling. I mean it probably helps his channel and videos if the audience thinks it.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 19, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand keeping a clear gap between your professional life and your online life is never a bad thing. Anonymity prevents an outraged viewer from wrecking your life.

I mean he puts his face and name in the videos so he's not super anonymous, but that doesn't invalidate my point. :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have gone on a number of tinder/hinge/etc dates with women who have their career listed as "medical field" or the like, and they all turned out to be actual doctors who were trying to avoid blowback from crazy patients, regular old gold diggers, and men who just wanted to get free medical advice. having jilted people call your department to complain that they saw you on a SEX SITE when you're just getting started in your field is a real bad look

also dr. dad used to tell people at hospital-adjacent events that he was a janitor to see which ones would stick around to chat and which would immediately ignore him and find someone else to talk to

so yeah it's definitely a thing to sometimes downgrade your profession in that field

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

This is definitely staged but, damnit, I want to believe.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Anal Neptune XL

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BloodBag posted:

I'm the demon control arm pulling forward on the red car, just look at the toe change :wow:

Whole bunches o' torques.

dpack_1 posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the click bait titles and gaudy thumbnails come as a necessary evil thanks to Youtube's famously tragic ~*Algorithm*~
<snip>

That, and YT has made it more difficult in recent years to actually make money, as I understand it. Reduced shared percentages, demonetizing certain content for ~*reasons*~ (not just hate speech or nasty stuff like that), and all-around fiddling with the numbers. So the Tubers resort to shilling if they actually want to make a living off of it.

Aging Wheels is great.

Powershift posted:

I picture a RAV-4 or something, sans bumper, somewhere in a field on the side of the road. Or plowed into a convenience store. And they don't even know it's gone yet because they never look at the rear-view camera.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
well like it or not, doug finally got ahold of a mclaren f1, this is what i've been waiting for for real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkYVXIWAPnc

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Linus tech tips. The IT channel that doesnt understard RAID is not a backup and lost everything to a array failure.

Hey sounds like he ran Myspace.

He raid 5'ed his RAID controllers together. While failing to understand that RAID 5 means that if only ONE controller fails, you lose EVEYRTHING. Because 3 disks/controllers is the MINIMUM.

:psyduck: He also didn't take regularly backups of his main storage array, like a dumbass (but hardly authentic to him, its sadly common in even larger Enterprises)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Uhm, the entire point of raid5 is that you can lose one. I have no idea what he did, but a raid55 (so at a minimum three controllers with three disks each) should still be readable with one controller out and one lost disk on both the remaining ones.

Going by your description, was it rather a raid 50 (where you stripe over the raid5 groups)?