Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2385480&perpage=40&pagenumber=92

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Iron Crowned posted:

I"m the wine fridge

god I wish I were

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not sure this would make sense financially because it involves moving plumbing, but I'm thinking layout-wise this makes more sense
- do as you suggest with bathroom
- in the hallway, tear out the closet, bump the laundry room up into this hallway, add door from living room as you suggest
- rip out the lower closet and turn the current laundry room into a big pantry. Also super convenient given the garage door

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Buff Skeleton posted:

Need to whip up a bathroom remodel in a hurry? Dump a bunch of petals on the floor and shower off of the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

:like:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

heres the fllorplan - as you can see it's a tricky one. i could always just make it a 3-bed without a living room but seems a bit dystopian even for london

Not an architect or anything but it seems almost even more dystopian to have two full bedrooms and one that's obviously and awkwardly separated from the living room area, which is now the smallest room in the flat.

With some serious building work on the 3-pane window and interior wall you could do something like this:

Probably better to split it down the middle, but the cloak room limits your options for door placement, which makes the new room on the left fairly small. Also, with this setup, it might be better to declare the southwest bedroom the new living room as it's now the largest, even though that puts it right between two bedrooms and you can't do anything too loud in there.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Might not be feasible, depends on the structure of the house, but if you're willing to get really daring with the changes, something like this might be an option.

Still leaves the living room as pretty vestigial, though, but maybe less cramped than leaving the cloakroom and enclosing the hallway. Depends on how much you like the cloakroom/whether or not the cloakroom is feasible to integrate into the main living space.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Just put some French doors on it and call it whatever you want.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If that’s a leased apartment I don’t know if you can demo walls like that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not sure this would make sense financially because it involves moving plumbing, but I'm thinking layout-wise this makes more sense
- do as you suggest with bathroom
- in the hallway, tear out the closet, bump the laundry room up into this hallway, add door from living room as you suggest
- rip out the lower closet and turn the current laundry room into a big pantry. Also super convenient given the garage door

Yeah, something along these lines is kind of what I was thinking of. Doing just the pantry/bathroom door thing would be good for us and should be cheap but I feel like the whole thing could be reorganized to be considerably better.

The one good thing about plumbing if we decide to make major changes is that the area below the bathroom/hallway/laundry room is unfinished so there's easy access and there won't need to be any ceiling drywall repaired.

I think this was all architected by someone that didn't give a poo poo or was just incompetent. The bathroom is too big, the laundry room is too small, the pantry is too small, the hallway is a waste of space, the nook is stupid, there should be more of a defined foyer/entryway, etc, etc, etc.

Part of me wants to say gently caress it and move the laundry room downstairs and add 75 square feet to the kitchen AND a 75 square foot pantry but this would probably be bad for resale.

I may look around for an actual local designer of some sort.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Not sure where you live, but in some areas, local code requires bedrooms to contain a minimum number of square feet and an exterior point of egress. That may further limit how you slice/dice your space.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

bird with big dick posted:

I think this was all architected by someone that didn't give a poo poo or was just incompetent. The bathroom is too big, the laundry room is too small, the pantry is too small, the hallway is a waste of space, the nook is stupid, there should be more of a defined foyer/entryway, etc, etc, etc.

Part of me wants to say gently caress it and move the laundry room downstairs and add 75 square feet to the kitchen AND a 75 square foot pantry but this would probably be bad for resale.

I may look around for an actual local designer of some sort.
If you say gently caress it, move the laundry room upstairs. Upstairs is where 95% of your laundry comes from and goes to. I always recommend that anyway, but especially if you want to get it out of the way here.

Is this your main entrance that you want a foyer and don't just want to come in through a pantry? Are you in an area where mudrooms are a thing? How much of that function can the garage serve?

I think going to an architect is a good idea, but tbh I would suggest, if you do, looking for a woman. I think the way you got into this mess is because the house was planned by someone who put much less of a priority on the kitchen and laundry, jobs that women do very disproportionately. It's not a guarantee that a woman will be a kitchen expert, of course -- you should also talk to whoever you find, emphasize the need for functionality, see where they're coming from -- but they're more likely to be thinking from experience and not just a few rules of thumb.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Split the "reception room" into 2 bedrooms and the 11x11 bedroom as a living room.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

If you say gently caress it, move the laundry room upstairs. Upstairs is where 95% of your laundry comes from and goes to. I always recommend that anyway, but especially if you want to get it out of the way here.

Is this your main entrance that you want a foyer and don't just want to come in through a pantry? Are you in an area where mudrooms are a thing? How much of that function can the garage serve?

I think going to an architect is a good idea, but tbh I would suggest, if you do, looking for a woman. I think the way you got into this mess is because the house was planned by someone who put much less of a priority on the kitchen and laundry, jobs that women do very disproportionately. It's not a guarantee that a woman will be a kitchen expert, of course -- you should also talk to whoever you find, emphasize the need for functionality, see where they're coming from -- but they're more likely to be thinking from experience and not just a few rules of thumb.

The laundry is "upstairs", it's basically a ranch with a walk out basement built on the side of a pretty steep hill. That's why I say I know it'd hurt resale value. I personally wouldn't care about going up and down the stairs to do laundry (both other houses I've owned I had to) but I know it'd be a turn off to a lot of people.

Red arrow points to the master BR which has a decent master bath (though I don't like its layout either tbh, but that's a whole nother ball of wax). Blue arrow if you go left you go down the stairs, if you go right there's a hallway with two bedrooms and a full bath and that's also where the coat closet is plus some built in cabinets in an odd nook/jog in the hallway.

And there's basically a mini master downstairs, directly below the master (same size), has a sliding door to the patio, walk in closet, has an adjacent (but not en suite) full bath.

The main entrance is the door to the right of the blue arrow. There's 3' of tile there (not shown in picture). My last house wasn't that different in terms of not having a foyer, but you walked into a room that was a formal dining room/parlor combo rather than the main living area like the current house.

The black square box I drew, I've thought could be walled off and become part of the kitchen/laundry/pantry/bathroom conversation which would also define the entryway a little bit more. But then the fireplace would be in a weird spot (it's straight up from the couch on the right).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

peanut posted:

Split the "reception room" into 2 bedrooms and the 11x11 bedroom as a living room.

BigFactory posted:

If that’s a leased apartment I don’t know if you can demo walls like that.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Just put some French doors on it and call it whatever you want.

hailthefish posted:

Might not be feasible, depends on the structure of the house, but if you're willing to get really daring with the changes, something like this might be an option.

Still leaves the living room as pretty vestigial, though, but maybe less cramped than leaving the cloakroom and enclosing the hallway. Depends on how much you like the cloakroom/whether or not the cloakroom is feasible to integrate into the main living space.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not an architect or anything but it seems almost even more dystopian to have two full bedrooms and one that's obviously and awkwardly separated from the living room area, which is now the smallest room in the flat.

With some serious building work on the 3-pane window and interior wall you could do something like this:

Probably better to split it down the middle, but the cloak room limits your options for door placement, which makes the new room on the left fairly small. Also, with this setup, it might be better to declare the southwest bedroom the new living room as it's now the largest, even though that puts it right between two bedrooms and you can't do anything too loud in there.

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly I think doing that would be the smarter choice. Otherwise you end up with two rooms too small to really do much with.

cheers gang.... as long as its a rental ive no real appetite for refurb so will continue letting it to the two people in theere for now at 1200. then when they move out will advertsie as an optional three-bedroom and see what the market prefers. think it would be 300 or so extra a month which would keep me in art supplies / city breaks. my project now is putting doors on the reception room (surely the cloak room is where you receivie people though...) and a block-out blind. then a sprung futon mattress which im reliably informed will quickly become unbearable to look at much less sleep on regularly

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I live in a studio and after a year on a lovely sprung futon I tossed it and got one of those Japanese-style floor futons. Gives me so much square footage back during the day, and TBH I already prefer a stiffer mattress, so one designed to be one instead of a crap mattress that BECAME one is so much nicer.

Yeah every day I have to pick it up and put it on a shelf, but it's worth the space for projects and to stretch out on. Pretty much the OPPOSITE of interior design, but there ya go.

In the summer I'm going to move it into the "living room" (separated from the "bedroom" by a head-high wall with shutters up top) and sleep in there, to save on AC costs here in Phoenix.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

bEatmstrJ posted:

The reason I don't respond to most of the things that are said is simply because everyone is quick to assume that everything is a problem that only exists in my bathroom and nowhere else. I usually ignore these things because there's no way for me to prove anything that will be satisfactory to the apparently hilariously high standards of the average person in this thread.

1. Large 8x10 beams were sistered in next to the existing joists. This was engineered appropriately and is very uninteresting.
2. The pebble tray is full of very lightweight plastic rocks. The bathtub doesn't get used much and even when it does there is no water or spillage onto said rocks. Aside from a few random hairs here and there they don't get moist or dirty. Any vacuum with a hose attachment would work fine for cleaning. If I really needed to I could easily load them up in a bucket for a gentle washing.
3. I'm not being weird about my toilet. YOU GUYS are being weird about my toilet. Its a loving toilet. In a tiny room. With some grey tile on the floor and unpainted walls. It's completely uninteresting.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Very heavy 15ft 8x10 wood beams. Probably the most interesting part was that they had to hoist them in through the 2nd floor window since they were too big to walk through the house.

Pretty late to the response, but feeling vindicated that you at least finally revealed how you fixed the joists after loving them up spectacularly. Besides the hidden toilet, that is probably the most interesting part of the project post-fuckup. How they went about prepping the joists and any action shots of 8x10's going through your windows would be amazing to behold. I can understand trying to avoid further embarrassment, but it would have been really cool to see all that regardless. Congrats on doing the right (structural) thing in the end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Builder-grade beams tho...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Percy Günne Shelly posted:

ozymanDIYous

I met a realtor from a foreign land,

Who said—“Two vast and top-shorn beams of I

Are sister'd in the bathroom. . . . Near them, plastic stones,

Half sunk a tiny tub lies, whose mold,

Impractical lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell its designer well those tolerances read

Which yet survive, stamped on these axe-born things,

The hand that framed them, and the wallet that bled;

And in the toilet room, on self-portrait appear:

My name is bEatmsterJ, DIYer of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye :females:, and despair!

No builder-grade materials remain. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone unlevel tile sags away.”

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 18, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:bravo:

i had tears by top shorn beams of i

poet

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Off the top of my head, that's a W10x45 wide flange beam. 10 inches, 8 across, about 5/8" thick at the widest part, and dang 45 lbs/ft. That's a hefty boi and pretty significant to add to a house, let alone after the fact. That's a homewrecker to shove in afterward.

Tangentially related, I work at a metal shop and got some leeway to make some side projects here. I'm giddy about making some bad coffee tables. I had a big ol' dang post written up about what I hoped to achieve by making some furniture but it was a rambling mess that boiled down to "I like metal and wanna make some tables and chairs."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rotten Cookies posted:

Tangentially related, I work at a metal shop and got some leeway to make some side projects here. I'm giddy about making some bad coffee tables.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

drat

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*combusts*

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Off the top of my head, that's a W10x45 wide flange beam. 10 inches, 8 across, about 5/8" thick at the widest part, and dang 45 lbs/ft. That's a hefty boi and pretty significant to add to a house, let alone after the fact. That's a homewrecker to shove in afterward.

Tangentially related, I work at a metal shop and got some leeway to make some side projects here. I'm giddy about making some bad coffee tables. I had a big ol' dang post written up about what I hoped to achieve by making some furniture but it was a rambling mess that boiled down to "I like metal and wanna make some tables and chairs."

id love to read a post like that

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

I live in a studio and after a year on a lovely sprung futon I tossed it and got one of those Japanese-style floor futons. Gives me so much square footage back during the day, and TBH I already prefer a stiffer mattress, so one designed to be one instead of a crap mattress that BECAME one is so much nicer.

Yeah every day I have to pick it up and put it on a shelf, but it's worth the space for projects and to stretch out on. Pretty much the OPPOSITE of interior design, but there ya go.

In the summer I'm going to move it into the "living room" (separated from the "bedroom" by a head-high wall with shutters up top) and sleep in there, to save on AC costs here in Phoenix.

got any pics of that living room? where i live now ive got a murphy bed (https://www.thespruce.com/diy-murphy-bed-projects-every-budget-4110832) which goe sinto the wall but usually stays down so i can keep stuff under it i cant think where else to put. that is,, until TODAY! i've marie kondo'ed the place and stuffed the duvet in the wardrobe. will really give me a chance to do some painting and stuff. wonder if a murphy bed would be good for my rental flat too...............:twisted:

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 18, 2019

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:prepop:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

They sent a poet. A great one.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I was just reading the BUDK catalogue thread and uh

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What really sealed it was the "GAMER'S CHOICE" label. Holy poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If it was really Gamers Choice the title would be purple and the flavor text would have a different color applied to the stats. Smh

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

“No ship to NY”

There goes my gamer cred

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Chitin posted:

blademasterJ

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

by Alex Turco
My fellow females ITT, what you do think of this shower? Me, personally, I love it. It's fancy as gently caress, pretty gold detailing, and has multiple ledges/shelves for all my scrubbing and soaping nonsense. Plus, TWO! Two whole showerheads. Hot drat. Also there's a bitchin geode, which satisfies the corvid side of my brain for having sparkly poo poo near me.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
It's gorgeous. And I bet my energies would be balanced af.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
That's an interesting idea. I wonder what the thickness is on that piece of quartz. Really hate rainfall showerheads tho

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Is that whole thing quartz? Can a big sheet of crystals with custom colors be produced these days?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's beautiful. I think I'd like it better as the backdrop to a tub, though. I'm not always interested in taking in the view when I'm showering.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would expect it's all synthetic, and I welcome the new wave of geode-inspired bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Chitin posted:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first three are ripoffs of knives from CS:GO. The first knife is a copy of the flip knife (which is a copy of the Benchmade Bedlam), the second knife is a copy of the butterfly knife (which is a generic butterfly knife), and the third knife is a copy of the bayonet (which is a generic bayonet?). There are websites that make higher quality CS:GO knife knockoffs, but I'm pretty sure that's why this is labeled GAMER'S CHOICE.