Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Affi posted:

Yeah that was some black magic fuckery cause i wrote that up in spoiler tags and it was a longer sentence too. No loving idea why it didn’t take.

(Still a bad post)

fair, fair

I think Nat's decisionmaking has been fine, even if after looking at the wiki I think he needs to rush plated armor ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GeneX posted:

fair, fair

I think Nat's decisionmaking has been fine, even if after looking at the wiki I think he needs to rush plated armor ASAP

Needs more scientists on that note, and visit the goddamn Black Market! Flying places barely takes any time, only scanning stuff does.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mordja posted:

Needs more scientists on that note, and visit the goddamn Black Market! Flying places barely takes any time, only scanning stuff does.

Problem is, buying poo poo at the Market costs Intel and they're desperately low on that, certainly too low to by a new science geek right now.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Visiting the Black Market every now and then is a good idea. There's such a plethora of bad choices for you to make, commanders.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bruceski posted:

You misread something key. Implacable isn't a bonus action, it's a bonus move. Go out --> kill --> retreat to cover, not a kill chain.

Nah, they read it right. Pete also has serial which combos rather nicely with run n gun and implacable to allow a double move -> kill -> free move to flank the rest of the dudes -> refunded attack action chain the rest down. The caveat they caught is that implacable only triggers once per turn so the one bonus move action has to give him a flank/cover on whatever is left after his second shot.

e: assuming the two skills don't fight and he only has one trigger when he attempts that anyway.

e2: A quick google indicates they play nice and Pete is now a shotgunny god of war who also flings axes and chops people in two

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 15, 2019

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I've been wanting to ask what that mission you've been leaving alone in Mexico is. Looks like a sort of floating tower on the map.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

vorebane posted:

I've been wanting to ask what that mission you've been leaving alone in Mexico is. Looks like a sort of floating tower on the map.

it's the dlc quest they didn't disable

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ah the one that would cause more alien ruler attacks ok.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

vorebane posted:

No, the one they disabled was blocking the alien ruler attacks and turning it off released them (because game is written well). This one's locking the other DLC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17616576 - Poll for the next option!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 16, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

vorebane posted:

Nah, it's the robot DLC mission. It gives them cool robots and is fun

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Chain shot is better than your first reaction, since there are enemies like MECs and berserkers that have large amounts of hp but are very easy to hit since they don't use cover. However, given your preferred gameplay style so far I agree volatile mix is probably the best choice.

As for tech, I'd suggest plated armor. Gauss weapons are good too, but I think you'd benefit from the armor more. Rushing plot progress in X-Com 2 when not under pressure from the Avatar countdown is rarely a good idea unless you're looking for a challenge.

Psychic berserker of doom isn't a bad prediction for the gatekeeper, actually.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Actually, that ADVENT Datapad is a relatively quick and easy way to score Intel, which you'll need for your next contact. After that Plated Armor is a decent next choice followed by Gauss Weaponry.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Advent Datapad, Gauss Weapons and Plated Armour, in that order gets my vote.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Actually, that ADVENT Datapad is a relatively quick and easy way to score Intel, which you'll need for your next contact. After that Plated Armor is a decent next choice followed by Gauss Weaponry.

This gets my vote as well.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Bruceski posted:

No, the one they disabled was blocking the alien ruler attacks and turning it off released them (because game is written well). This one's locking the other DLC.

Oh yeah. By the way, I know you guys were told to be a little afraid of that, but mentally balance that with the realization that your prize for finishing it gets a little less useful as time goes by too. Not untenably so, but the robot has to level up, and starting at rank 1 is getting further and further behind...

jng2058 posted:

Thirded

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, this one.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

datapad, get intel

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Speaking of Intel, was anyone else surprised that Nat & Tea didn't attempt hacking the 2 lampposts? <= Spoilered because I can't remember if they have already done this in the past.
Especially because they spent a few turns trying to set up the perfect shot on that 2 vipers, 1 codex group and there was no timer anyway.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Y'all realize Nat has a link to a poll where you can vote instead of posting them itc with your votes not counting, right?

like, the link isn't hidden, either, it's literally in the same post as the update

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Plated armour plated armour plated armour

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

GeneX posted:

Y'all realize Nat has a link to a poll where you can vote instead of posting them itc with your votes not counting, right?

like, the link isn't hidden, either, it's literally in the same post as the update

Sure, but that only lets you vote on the very next choice, and doesn't let you explain why. Explaining here allows us to give input on the next choices after that, which may or may not be voted on (probably won't, in fact), and let's us comment on why all you people jumping on Plated Armor in the poll are being inefficient.

Because if you grab the Intel from the Datapad first you can start making Resistance Contact while waiting for Armor to get researched. By the time you've made contact and are ready for another Facility run, you'll have your Armor researched, the next Supply Drop will have hit and you can afford to BUY the armor and you're good to go. Probably be ready to rock in like 14-15 days, including the time it takes to pick up the Supplies. There is a chance the Intel in the Pad ain't enough to make Contact immediately, but that's a gamble no matter which research path you take.

Doing Armor first means you're waiting, what, 9-10 researching days for the armor, 3-4 researching days for the Datapad, 5-6 days after that for the Contact itself? Call it 17-20 days or so. Much slower, and we've all seen how much Nat enjoys being time efficient, haven't we? And yes, I know the extra week spent going Armor first probably won't matter much if at all in the overall arc of the game....but Nat and Tea have established a very time efficient play style with regards to the Strategic layer of the game, so I feel it incumbent upon us, the audience, to support that play style when we can...which in this case means grabbing the Datapad first.

We've just had a Guerrilla Op, so another won't pop for awhile, so the main risk you're taking if you do the Datapad first is that the next Retaliation Raid will hit before you finish researching Armor...but since you have to wait for the Supply Drop to be able to buy the new suits in any event, it's not that big an added risk.

Okay, yes, you could mitigate those factors maybe by going on a pure Intel run at HQ and selling more poo poo to the Market, reducing your need for the Pad and the Drop, but then you aren't grabbing the Weapons Cache and are losing out on Alloys and Elerium that will start becoming more useful as time goes on. I was already cringing when they sold off some Alloys and Elerium at the last Black Market visit because I know they're creating bottlenecks for themselves later on when the good poo poo gets expensive in those resources.

tl;dr - Going Datapad first lets you save time by making the next Contact at the same time as you're researching Plated Armor.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 16, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

jng2058 posted:

Sure, but that only lets you vote on the very next choice, and doesn't let you explain why.

I mean

there's like 5 posts in a row that are just votes, then my comment, then another vote

and this is a poll for the next thing to grab, not for the rest of time, it's not like Nat and Tea can't possibly find a new thing halfway through and obviate all the sequential voting

the intent is probably positive but it just makes y'all look really unobservant, hahaha

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 16, 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I voted in the poll and also explained my reasoning, in the interests of the thread having interesting discussion.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

GeneX posted:

I mean

there's like 5 posts in a row that are just votes, then my comment, then another vote

and this is a poll for the next thing to grab, not for the rest of time, it's not like Nat and Tea can't possibly find a new thing halfway through and obviate all the sequential voting

the intent is probably positive but it just makes y'all look really unobservant, hahaha

Yeah, why would we want to have interesting discussions about what's going on when we can just press a button on a poll and walk away? You're right, your way is indeed the more time efficient one. :rolleyes:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, why would we want to have interesting discussions about what's going on when we can just press a button on a poll and walk away? You're right, your way is indeed the more time efficient one. :rolleyes:

dude, my entire point is that the posts saying "seconded" or "thirded" do not actually add to the thread beyond spam, there's nothing particularly interesting or discussion-worthy about them

your posts aren't the ones I'm talking about, by the way, look at the posts after yours that are just "yeah I agree"

It's like the dwarf fortress LPs which have signup forms now instead of 20 pages of "dorf me", y'know?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

GeneX posted:

dude, my entire point is that the posts saying "seconded" or "thirded" do not actually add to the thread beyond spam, there's nothing particularly interesting or discussion-worthy about them

your posts aren't the ones I'm talking about, by the way, look at the posts after yours that are just "yeah I agree"

It's like the dwarf fortress LPs which have signup forms now instead of 20 pages of "dorf me", y'know?

But...but I like it when people agree with me! Okay, fine, my apologies, I was perhaps being a touch oversensitive.

Still say that doing the Datapad first is the better idea, though. :colbert:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Datapad is a fair suggestion, I hadn't really thought about it since I usually just sell them (my research time!).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 16, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

jng2058 posted:

Still say that doing the Datapad first is the better idea, though. :colbert:

That's def fair, I just think they really want the extra item slot from predator armor asap, and don't think they'll be willing to wait to do the facility mission if they can do it immediately. Admittedly, I don't know their timings rn so I might be overcautious/underestimating Nat and Tea.

Also yeah no worries, I was a bit rude myself!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, what kind of 2 bit voting system doesn't allow for assholes to pimp their vote to other people?

Personally, I voted for gauss weapons. The only good alien is a dead alien.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

GeneX posted:

That's def fair, I just think they really want the extra item slot from predator armor asap, and don't think they'll be willing to wait to do the facility mission if they can do it immediately. Admittedly, I don't know their timings rn so I might be overcautious/underestimating Nat and Tea.

Also yeah no worries, I was a bit rude myself!

It’s going to be fun when they research that and see the extra item slot on all their guys. I don’t recall if the research screen hints at that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I include the ability to vote for multiple options so we have a sort of build order to go from. Doesn't mean that it's not subject to change, but we do use it as a guide.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Welp, I'm dumb thanks for the headsup.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think a character has to move more than one tile to trigger overwatch.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I hope you two are happy. You made me buy and marathon Enemy Unknown over my spring break.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Trasson posted:

I hope you two are happy. You made me buy and marathon Enemy Unknown over my spring break.

Vigilo Confido, friend

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Putting a request out there, if anyone knows of a mod to make the alien ruler armour look cooler, I would be grateful.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
You'll see guys, you'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Difficulty just means number of enemies.