Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bombadilillo posted:

If you think bag weights are for safety. Wow.

Weird they dont weigh me or my personal item. And $75 bucks makes another bag suddenly quite safe

They'd weigh people too if they could get away with it and it would't be for safety.

edit: top of page so here's a picture

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Weird they dont weigh me or my personal item. And $75 bucks makes another bag suddenly quite safe

They do definately do stability calculations based on your and your carry on bags estimated weight and those calculations do matter during take off and landing for your safety.

They are also definately scamming you on bag fees.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

They actually do report # of heavy bags vs. regular weight bags, and the captains enter that information into the flight computer before taxi. They enter how many are in each compartment under the passengers. It's for weight/balance calculations to figure out take off speed, etc.

That being said, this guy (or even 10 people doing this on a single flight) will not make a difference with their weak feet skimming off a few pounds.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

BrandorKP posted:

They do definately do stability calculations based on your and your carry on bags estimated weight and those calculations do matter during take off and landing for your safety.

They are also definately scamming you on bag fees.

If they cared about passenger weight, they would ask you your weight when you book and seat you accordingly, not let you choose your own seat.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

If they cared about passenger weight, they would ask you your weight when you book and seat you accordingly, not let you choose your own seat.

First you can use an average passenger weight. It also matters more on an empty plane. They'll even force seat changes for stability reasons, on an nearly empty plane. And some of the algorithms that show this or that seat is available account for stability too. And different planes have different initial stability characteristics based on thier design, so it matters more for some planes, some are inherently less stabile. My personal expertise is vessel stability, but the plane stuff is built on the vessel concepts.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bombadilillo posted:

When you pay them $75 they then go put that in extra fuel in the plane to cover the weight of your bag of rocks and sand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus lord help you if you're on a MD-80 / derivative with 2-3 seating and baggage biased across from the passengers, and it's a bunch of skinny people who packed heavy or v/v

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Get at me when you're all under 300lbs or are being rightfully weighed and charged every time you get on a plane, till then suitcase cheat guy is ok by me.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Data Graham posted:

like a fuckin USR Courier handshaking at 33.6 up in there

I have to say, you paint a vivid goddamn picture.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The bag weight limit is 50 pounds because of health and safety of the bag loaders on the tarmac. If you have a heavier bag they punish you with a fee so next time you hopefully won't do it.

Also the photo was originally censored with emojis and someone blurred those out too?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Also that one time you kept your phone active and didn’t switch into airplane mode so you could finish texting while the plane taxied on its takeoff roll, you should have heard what it sounded like in the ATC’s ears, it was like a fuckin USR Courier handshaking at 33.6 up in there

I never considered that but it makes so much more sense than "your phone can make the plane fall out of the sky". That is, a cellphone causing communications interference.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hear they've started forcing everybody to drink all their taxfree liquor before boarding so they don't bring any flammables or blunt/breakable/stabbing weapons onboard. Plus Delta has started liposucking anyone found loitering outside the business class platinum lounge.

E: sorry that's incorrect that's lipsucking, and inside.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Yeah it's funny until you kill a bunch of people

So charging extra magically makes the bag safe and weigh less?

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Mar 19, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

We're just allowing pictures of death in the funny pictures thread?? Mods??

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can tell that most of you haven't been to rural communities cause when you fly to northern Ontario in an oversized pringles can they definitely do weigh each of the 8-16 passengers and arrange them accordingly

xtal has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Mar 18, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Anyone have the “comic” of the guy shutting/pissing in the floor/ceiling o fthebbathrrom? I’m failing at googling it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xtal posted:

I can tell that most of you haven't been to rural communities cause when you fly to northern Ontario in an oversized pringles can they definitely do weigh each of the 8-16 passengers and arrange them accordingly

Bay Area plane nerds do the "$100 steak", which is to load up your friends into a Cessna (172 because you haven't got your high-performance endorsement) and fly to Harris Ranch in Coalinga, which has a little airstrip right next to I-5. Park the plane, eat a mountain of beef in the middle of a reeking stockyard, then get back in the plane and for a few minutes wonder whether you've eaten so much that you've hosed your weight calculations such that now you won't be able to take off

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Anyone have the “comic” of the guy shutting/pissing in the floor/ceiling o fthebbathrrom? I’m failing at googling it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2105
Telhix?
Sorry, just realized the non-broken link there is to an edited version. :( 2nd try:

wheatpuppy has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Mar 18, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Data Graham posted:

Also that one time you kept your phone active and didn’t switch into airplane mode so you could finish texting while the plane taxied on its takeoff roll, you should have heard what it sounded like in the ATC’s ears, it was like a fuckin USR Courier handshaking at 33.6 up in there

Every time I hear ATC audio I'm consistently surprised at how poor the audio quality actually is. Seems like they should be able to work out a very clear digital solution, but I'm guessing that runs in to many reliability/range/nobody wants to spend money on ATC problems?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Every time I hear ATC audio I'm consistently surprised at how poor the audio quality actually is. Seems like they should be able to work out a very clear digital solution, but I'm guessing that runs in to many reliability/range/nobody wants to spend money on ATC problems?

yeah, why can’t they just fire up a big discord server and call it a day, seems easy! :haw:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like a waste of money, didn't you see that video about how turtles like to hump shoes?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Works great until you don't have to do the thing at that time any more.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heroes in the cock swell - turtle penis

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/vrunt/status/1107780924383653893?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Amelia Earhart [1937, colourised]

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I was once told my carry on backpack was too heavy on some dodgy flight out of china, I unpacked some stuff from the backpack and left it against a wall then went and checked in then picked up my stuff and proceeded to board.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abongination posted:

I was once told my carry on backpack was too heavy on some dodgy flight out of china, I unpacked some stuff from the backpack and left it against a wall then went and checked in then picked up my stuff and proceeded to board.

Pretty sure you're not allowed to post on SA if you're dead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1107573070489964544

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1107616162089705472

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I mean I have flown in a fair amount of different kinds of planes, including jumbo 747s, half empty cigar tubes, a sea plane, and little 4 seaters, and a lot in between. I've never been weighed and neither has my carry on luggage.

I have seen someone be asked to switch sides one time. I guess I'm glad no one had an extra can of yams in their luggage that day or I'd be dead now

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You figured out the scam, Forum superstar The Bloop. It's impossible for planes to have weight or balance issues from passengers. You figured out the scam with logic and facts because you were never personally in a plane crash.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

You figured out the scam, Forum superstar The Bloop. It's impossible for planes to have weight or balance issues from passengers. You figured out the scam with logic and facts because you were never personally in a plane crash.

It's true that all my anecdotal experience is a blip in the data but isn't it really weird that I was never weighed and neither was my father who flew all over the world for work for decades and also in the service, if it's actually important to do on all flights? Sounds pretty unlikely to me.

If you have any actual facts or expertise or a link to a relevant article, I'm all eyes.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

your weight is already measured by your chip implant and submitted wirelessly to the passport every morning so the airlines already know how much fuel to pack for your phat azz

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Bloop posted:

It's true that all my anecdotal experience is a blip in the data but isn't it really weird that I was never weighed and neither was my father who flew all over the world for work for decades and also in the service, if it's actually important to do on all flights? Sounds pretty unlikely to me.

If you have any actual facts or expertise or a link to a relevant article, I'm all eyes.

Plenty of articles out there

https://blog.klm.com/how-do-you-weigh-a-plane-jesseyknows/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've only ever been weighed once for a flight and that was out of a bumfuck tiny town in central Queensland where you all stand in a shed waiting for the plane to land and security is the dog running about the plastic tables outside hoping to scrounge a chip.