Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Man... the claws on Liv's ultra organic octo-suit really looked like face huggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I'm sure it's somewhere already in this thread but watching this yesterday, it stood out to me when Doc Ock says "My friends call me Liv, my enemies call me Doctor Octavious"

But when the fight goes down at Aunt May's house, Aunt May says, "Hello Liv".

I honestly become more intrigued by Aunt May than I should be for a character who might be on screen for no more than 3 minutes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well this happened in the comics...

https://twitter.com/mleelunsford/status/1084990686892453888

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waah posted:

I'm sure it's somewhere already in this thread but watching this yesterday, it stood out to me when Doc Ock says "My friends call me Liv, my enemies call me Doctor Octavious"

But when the fight goes down at Aunt May's house, Aunt May says, "Hello Liv".

I honestly become more intrigued by Aunt May than I should be for a character who might be on screen for no more than 3 minutes.

I really liked Aunt May in Spider-Verse. She's heavily implied to be a genius-level inventor, what with making Miles' webshooters and all. It's not a big step to think she invented most/all of the stuff in the Spider-lair. She easily could have been a peer or a friend to Liv on that alone. Not to mention the possibility of more-than-friends if her universe had a Ock-and-May romance like the primary comics universe did.

Plus I got a real strong Madame Webb vibe from that quick "what took you so long?" shot when Miles goes back to the Lair. The dialogue, framing, and lighting would not have been out of place for a villain.

Spider-verse May is awesome.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I posit that May was one of Olivia's professors, and is bitter because Liv going super-villain cost her tenure and/or blew up an important project.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope this film paves the way to more Marvel animated films that are on the same quality level as this movie.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

ConfusedUs posted:

Plus I got a real strong Madame Webb vibe from that quick "what took you so long?" shot when Miles goes back to the Lair. The dialogue, framing, and lighting would not have been out of place for a villain.

Madame Webb May is an idea I could get behind.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The writer of the new Shiang-Chi movie is also credited on Spider-Verse 2, among other things. Curious to see where it goes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend picked up the Target version of this and got the art book edition.

You're better off just buying the regular BluRay + DVD + Digital (or whatever) and getting the full art book. It's like just a preview and nothing new not shown in the art book anyway.

I know that's probably obvious but in case you were on the fence or anything.

Also, the Walmart exclusive figure is super awful and not worth the extra $5. The figures for this movie have been pretty terrible anyway...

I'd say skip all exclusives and just buy the non-exclusive versions of the movie and the full art book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, the Walmart exclusive figure is super awful and not worth the extra $5. The figures for this movie have been pretty terrible anyway...

Had to go look this up. It’s not too bad. It’s the closest likeness of movie Miles that’s out, which is pretty sad, honestly. I’m going to be picking up the 4K Blu-ray which doesn’t have any of these fancy add-ons. :saddowns:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Target didn't have a single copy of Spider-Verse on the shelves when I swung by there earlier today (I didn't go there specifically for it). I can't think of the last time I saw that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just picked up a copy from Costco for $24. Hurray!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Digital code(4k if that matters to anyone here)

3Y5MNVBCTCENH8D9

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

Digital code(4k if that matters to anyone here)

3Y5MNVBCTCENH8D9

What service is this on? I'd like to claim it

Edit: vudu and I did claim it. Thanks!!!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ConfusedUs posted:

I really liked Aunt May in Spider-Verse. She's heavily implied to be a genius-level inventor, what with making Miles' webshooters and all. .

It's part of a great bookend of Miles' journey.

Miles starts with a Spider-Man Halloween costume worried it won't fit. Stan Lee assures him, "It always fits... eventually."

And once he's finally overcome his doubt that he can't live up to being Spider-Man he gets his own webslingers and Aunt May comments, "They fit perfectly."

Such wonder moments in this movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I liked on the behind the scenes doc, they directors said they kept asking Nicholas Cage to "go a little bit further" with his performance, until he asked "Do you just want me to go full Cage?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Davros1 posted:

I liked on the behind the scenes doc, they directors said they kept asking Nicholas Cage to "go a little bit further" with his performance, until he asked "Do you just want me to go full Cage?"

Is that not why he was hired in the first place?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man Spider-Verse has the best dumb special feature since the Archer season 1 DVDs where they replaced the titular character with a dinosaur.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just got through the Alternate Universe cut and the actual movie we got was way better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Prepare yourself for some kickass Spider-verse Kingpin cosplay coming soon

https://twitter.com/dinarosecima/status/1108489354232639488

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just got through the Alternate Universe cut and the actual movie we got was way better.

That billboard scene was great though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

Was going to show the movie to my wife, who hasn't seen it yet, this weekend, would you recommend showing her the theatrical or the alternate universe cut?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Theatrical without a doubt

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hiddenriverninja posted:

What's the difference?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if the AU cut were, like, finished i would say it's pretty easily the better version; it's very clearly not finished, though, which is probably the only reason it's on the blu-ray and not being held over for an entire separate release.

e: like, you can pretty easily tell what was a last-minute removal and what got cut pretty early, and frankly, the stuff they almost kept in should have probably stayed, whereas the stuff that got cut early was probably a good call.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What's the difference?

The alternate cut is literally a complete different iteration of the movie, but told through animatics and stuff like that. Basically, they included a whole "what the movie COULD have been" on the disc, but it is by no means a completed full quality movie.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I finally got around to watching this. It was good!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/bearsaremean/status/1105658253822832641?s=19

https://twitter.com/stephenmolella/status/1108700133007360002?s=19

Some more fun background details.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Spider-Verse is up for a Hugo, and should totally win.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Movie ruled. Really wish I saw it on the big screen now.

I totally think they could've done without the three comic relief universe iterations though. Maybe just have one and give them more screen time (and make that one noir).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Movie ruled. Really wish I saw it on the big screen now.

I totally think they could've done without the three comic relief universe iterations though. Maybe just have one and give them more screen time (and make that one noir).

It's important to the themes of the film to show a variety of Spider-People. Peni and Peter Porker are important, even if they have less screen time than the other characters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just love how they used the venom strike. I thought it was gonna be an anime rear end thing where Miles would loving uppercut it directly into Kingpin’s face or haymaker it or what have you but him calmly putting his hand on Fisk’s shoulder and going, hey, like his uncle taught him was just :discourse:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Calaveron posted:

I just love how they used the venom strike. I thought it was gonna be an anime rear end thing where Miles would loving uppercut it directly into Kingpin’s face or haymaker it or what have you but him calmly putting his hand on Fisk’s shoulder and going, hey, like his uncle taught him was just :discourse:

Miles uses a whole bunch of lessons he's learned along the way in that final fight webbing onto a passing train to escape like he did accidentally when he first found Peter B, immediately taking the Kingpin's gun away (which would have saved his uncle), etc etc

derra
Dec 29, 2012
His big swing into the collider mirrors Peter's earlier entrance too IIRC

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You could go on, and on. Like a lot of really well-crafted films, nearly every shot contains either setup or payoff.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 23, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Blu ray release day has arrived and it's just been handed to me in my office by the delivery guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having watched it twice at the cinema I refused to stream it or download it. Now I don't need to. Wonderful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

derra posted:

His big swing into the collider mirrors Peter's earlier entrance too IIRC

In particular he also does the same really lazy climb - grabbing onto the spinning bit and casually hanging there as it lifts him up.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://deadline.com/2019/04/phil-lord-chris-miller-mega-deal-sony-pictures-tv-spider-man-universe-tv-series-1202603847/

quote:

Oscar-winning writers/directors/producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller have signed a massive five-year overall deal with Sony Pictures Television.

No one is commenting but the value of the pact is believed to be in the nine figures. Under the agreement, the duo will develop live-action comedy and drama series as well as animated shows through their Lord Miller Productions company, including a suite of TV series based on Sony’s Universe of Marvel characters, referred to as Spider-verse, which had been a priority for SPT.

Can Sony buy the rights of Clone High from Viacom please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If this means the background Clone College from SpiderVerse gets made into a DTV movie/series I'll be very, very happy.

part of me is inside you