Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Goon Danton posted:

Yes hello, I can say the phrase "anarcho-fascists" with a straight face, I am a serious politics man

I guess it makes sense since he already lives under feudo-capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Deus Ex was right, France is the front line on the meme wars

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

majestic 12 took my mother prisoner

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
to be fair france isn't new to taking political prisoners, usually its only those pesky regionalists

https://france3-regions.francetvinf...es-1505517.html

(the minister in charge of corsica mistakenly said "political prisoners" when talking about Corsican separatist prisoners, an expression which is generally used by separatists and not by the French state).

Guess there's going to be more political prisoners soon.

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Mar 18, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

has the government started saying the gj are foreign subversives yet

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

how long until they deploy the killbots?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Toplowtech posted:

majestic 12 took my mother prisoner

A government shouldn't have to occupy its own country with troops. If there wasn't organized oppression, there wouldn't be organised resistance, and what you call terrorism would not exist. You can lock me up, but you can't lock up the truth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Prav posted:

how long until they deploy the killbots?

from now one the cops will be assisted by drones during the protests, it has been announced today

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
sous les pavés la plage I shout as the police drone bomb me

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

We never asked for this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

OhFunny posted:

shockedpikachumeme.png

careful if you post that on twitter you might get your account suspended

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Cue the flying pigs.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
seems the french government's opinion is that the police arent violent enough

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/18/french-pm-removes-police-chief-and-vows-to-shut-down-rioters

quote:

A junior interior minister, Laurent Nuñez, said on French radio on Monday that the police had been “less aggressive, less reactive than usual” over the weekend and promised a review of the instructions given to officers and their deployment.

Philippe said: “Inappropriate orders were given to reduce the use of LBD [rubber bullet launchers].” He said he wanted a hardening of France’s “doctrine” of law and order, and special police squads would be deployed as anti-riot units.

when are you frenchies doing the sixth republic

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

when you guys kick off the internationale, send help over here tia

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"We live in an aristocratic egalitarian society"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

really queer Christmas posted:

when you guys kick off the internationale, send help over here tia

Aren't you glad you killed off coal mining so the internationalist cadres don't exist anymore

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kurtofan posted:

Who said that?!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Samovar posted:

Who said that?!

Macron (who else?).

Welcome to ~la pensée complexe~

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kurtofan posted:

if only we had developed a cure for aristocracy

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Kassad posted:

Macron (who else?).

Welcome to ~la pensée complexe~

:laffo:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

if only we had developed a cure for aristocracy

Can't believe there isn't a :guillotine: yet :colbert:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boatswain posted:

:laffo:

Can't believe there isn't a :guillotine: yet :colbert:

:thermidor:

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

This is good.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

go off king

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
off topic but i know someone trying to learn french, and in addition to taking classes she wants to watch youtubes/whatever of french shows or movies with subtitles in her free time to immerse herself more. any recommendations?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

mila kunis posted:

off topic but i know someone trying to learn french, and in addition to taking classes she wants to watch youtubes/whatever of french shows or movies with subtitles in her free time to immerse herself more. any recommendations?

Wakfu, if she likes cartoons or anime or Asterix.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mila kunis posted:

Breathless

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mila kunis posted:

Emmanuelle

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mila kunis posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361871&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The op of the old French Language thread has a list of recommended movies. I'm not sure what's on Netflix/YouTube though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the battle for algiers

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mila kunis posted:

"Au service de la france"/"A Very Secret Service" should be one netflix.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
le bureau des légendes if she can stand the valorisation of DGSE

StashAugustine posted:

the battle for algiers

Just saw this, very good! Also the whole of Beau Travail is available on youtube.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y9Xdf6qa0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfXLUThC6M

these are both v good youtubes to learn French with

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Honest talk if the police crack down and kill some protesters, not a lot of protesters but like 6 protesters, what do you guys think happens? Does it back down or does it escalate?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

StashAugustine posted:

the battle for algiers

Owns

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Honest talk if the police crack down and kill some protesters, not a lot of protesters but like 6 protesters, what do you guys think happens? Does it back down or does it escalate?

Escalate 100%. Note that public opinion has been prepared for this though, every week it’s a “miracle” that nobody got killed, and our police forces are “too soft”. So at least even if a protester dies and it mobilizes more people to join in, the president’s image won’t be too tarnished because “it was bound to happen” and “they got what was coming to them”.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/sudouest/status/1108038483946418176?s=19

Centrism is thinking that's anything but a badge of honor.

... Oh dear, I do think this is an illegal post :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
if you want some good feels, here are facebook posts from gilets jaunes groups praising the black blocks (french antifa) as allies during protests.

https://twitter.com/naklabic/status/1108259107528720385

"at first I was against them... but when I saw how the state acts against peaceful GJ, I changed my mind about the Black Blocks

"I see them defend old people from cops' truncheons ... In my opinion they are defenders of the people against repression"

"They've even been applauded when they showed up. Real allies against police brutality"

"the black block are like us against capitalism. they act differently but they protect citizens. To them I say THANK YOU."

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 11:01 on Mar 20, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kurtofan posted:

if you want some good feels, here are facebook posts from gilets jaunes groups praising the black blocks (french antifa) as allies during protests.

https://twitter.com/naklabic/status/1108259107528720385

"at first I was against them... but when I saw how the state acts against peaceful GJ, I changed my mind about the Black Blocks

"I see them defend old people from cops' truncheons ... In my opinion they are defenders of the people against repression"

"They've even been applauded when they showed up. Real allies against police brutality"

"the black block are like us against capitalism. they act differently but they protect citizens. To them I say THANK YOU."

It is heartwarming to see Black Bloc types get praise for a change :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

It is heartwarming to see Black Bloc types get praise for a change :unsmith:

It really is. :unsmith:

By the way it's official now: the army will be deployed next Saturday.

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/03/20/gilets-jaunes-emmanuel-macron-appelle-larmee-en-renfort-pour-lacte-19-samedi,8079982.php