Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ok, this rules. Young Nico and Nell by the artist of the original DMC novel.

https://twitter.com/zi38/status/1107599546387857408?s=19

That rules. Nico is love. Nico is life.

The artist also did Gilver AKA "Anagram this"
https://twitter.com/zi38/status/1107602167924293632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Demicol posted:

I think Nero's arm doesn't break if you're DT'd?. I'd need to do more testing but I noticed in mission 2 boss that I had Punchline going and the boss smacked me while I was in the middle of a combo but it didn't break.

I can also confirm that restarting from checkpoint when you die to a boss does not count as using a continue.

did you get the 1.20x bonus

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Lady is just a generic white girl.

Lady has some character. She's got heterochromia, she hates her dick father, she doesn't take poo poo from anybody, and she likes large guns.

TRISH on the other hand is literally nothing more than "generic white girl". That is 100% her entire character start to finish.

Speaking of, having 3 protagonists but all of them are male is pretty weak, just like in GTA. Really need to see Trish or Lady or Nico get some playable sections in the main game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lady owns and I am glad she looks good again in DMC5. Her design in 4 was a travesty.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Finally got that S Rank on mission 10. 11 was no challenge. 12 seems like it might be. I seem to be addicted to Berserkers' big ol meat cleavers right in my face. Logically, I know that when they turn purple I should stop attacking them, but my fingers do not understand logic, they only understand press butan. :downs:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zaphod42 posted:

Lady has some character. She's got heterochromia, she hates her dick father, she doesn't take poo poo from anybody, and she likes large guns.

TRISH on the other hand is literally nothing more than "generic white girl". That is 100% her entire character start to finish.

Speaking of, having 3 protagonists but all of them are male is pretty weak, just like in GTA. Really need to see Trish or Lady or Nico get some playable sections in the main game.

Oh I thought he was talking about realistic design. Nico is exaggerated southern girl which fits in Devil May Crey perfectly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh I thought he was talking about realistic design. Nico is exaggerated southern girl which fits in Devil May Crey perfectly

Yeah Nico's attitude is 100% perfect for DMC's tone.

I said it before but I'm glad Kyrie only appears in voiceover. She's even more 'generic white girl' than Trish is, poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Nico's attitude is 100% perfect for DMC's tone.

I said it before but I'm glad Kyrie only appears in voiceover. She's even more 'generic white girl' than Trish is, poo poo.

Eh I think she works great for the role she is in. the call near the end is sweet and gives Nero a nice contrast to Volcel Dante

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I think she works great for the role she is in. the call near the end is sweet and gives Nero a nice contrast to Volcel Dante

I mean, yes, but her role is literally to be Nero's motivation. That's pretty weak. No reason not to just write her as a more interesting character.

And I didn't say otherwise. I just said I'm glad she's only in voiceover. I didn't say I wished she wasn't in the game at all. You understand that? I was just saying having her as an actual character showing up and having Nero save her would be weak, like it was in 4. She basically wasn't even in 4, so now she's literally not in 5. Good change. It would be weird not to acknowledge her at all, since she was key to Nero's character motivation, but having it as basically just a cameo works best because she's not interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean she’s fine not everyone can be over the top characters. Nero himself is pretty much the straight man of the group. Just making him Dante would kind of suck.

The only one that feels purposeless and bland is Trish. I don’t think they have any real idea what to do with her. I’m not even 100% sure what her deal is. You at least know why what lady is doing.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 19, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spergatory posted:

Finally got that S Rank on mission 10. 11 was no challenge. 12 seems like it might be. I seem to be addicted to Berserkers' big ol meat cleavers right in my face. Logically, I know that when they turn purple I should stop attacking them, but my fingers do not understand logic, they only understand press butan. :downs:

thats the perfect time to attack them so you can parry their bullshit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

When I first got to play as Nero after being Dante for a bit those cleavers owned me as I got so used to royal guard

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This game continues to kick rear end

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This game continues to kick rear end

A convo

Me: Get DMC5 dude

Friend: Nah man I'm not paying full price for a 10 hour game lol

Me: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Just lol if you ain’t bloody palacing for like six hours with Dante and Nero

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

JBP posted:

A convo

Me: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

I would say you friend is cuh-razy, but he's not even that. He's dismal.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
spent some time grinding red orbs for the 3 super taunts.

They are 100% worth it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I definitely have gotten dinged on my score for checkpointing at a boss before

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean she’s fine not everyone can be over the top characters. Nero himself is pretty much the straight man of the group. Just making him Dante would kind of suck.

The only one that feels purposeless and bland is Trish. I don’t think they have any real idea what to do with her. I’m not even 100% sure what her deal is. You at least know why what lady is doing.

I feel that part of the problem with Trish and Lady is that they are basically cameos in this game. I mean, they're shunted off screen for a long stretch of game, and when they reappear they don't really do anything. Which was also a big problem with them in 4 - they vanish saying they're going to do their own thing, which we never see. Aside from a few glimpses of Trish as Gloria, which is dropped halfway through the game.

It is nice they show up for shits and giggles, but hopefully if there is DLC with them, it gives them some motivation and something to do other than hang around Dante's office, or Nico's van.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're cameos that get used as devices to make two boss fights happen. Compare this to Lady who has been given a ton of status throughout her previous appearances and Trish who at least has seniority on a lot of the cast and both were previously playable so yeah, I can see why there is some disappointment amongst fans. I imagine the Ladies' Night DLC thing has some credence to it though, because I'm sure Itsuno and the dev team realized at some point they didn't give them much to do and probably wanna make their fans who like those characters happy so hopefully that'll be remedied within the next few months.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So here's something I was thinking about (Entire Story Spoilers): There are conversations between just V and Dante where they refer to Vergil as Urizen. Why do they do that if they both know its Vergil? I mean I KNOW it's done so the player doesn't get told until later, but why would THEY use that fake name when no one else is around?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So here's something I was thinking about (Entire Story Spoilers): There are conversations between just V and Dante where they refer to Vergil as Urizen. Why do they do that if they both know its Vergil? I mean I KNOW it's done so the player doesn't get told until later, but why would THEY use that fake name when no one else is around?

I would say it's for the story, but also V is as much Vergil as Urizen is. It makes sense because the thing Vergil has become is entirely something else and you could argue that V trying to get his poo poo back together is more of Vergil than Urizen is. I guess that's not very elegant, but I think it makes sense that they'd call the new entity by it's common name given that V and Dante always refer to it as Urizen anyway (from memory).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Glad to see Nobodies are just as much of a pain in the rear end as they were in DMC1

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JBP posted:

A convo

people will gladly pay full price to play 60 hours of boring chore bullshit like destiny and anthem but think it's insanity to pay the same price for an insanely well-made 12 hour game that you can replay like 5 times over with different poo poo each time

coworker today actually had given me the "I judge play worth by dollars = hours" which is funny as poo poo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only time I can distinctly remember V saying Urizen's name to Dante is in the instance where the sound cuts out and the scene ends, but V is clearly starting to say 'Vergil' and not 'Urizen'.

Granted I coulda just missed any other instances, and I do have a few chapters left so maybe they say it more in the last like 5 chapters.

e: ^^ the best part of those dollars = hours thing is that games like DMC and Bayo are almost always games I will sink 100s of hours into. definitely getting my 80bux worth out of this bitch.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Gunbusted/status/1107841415885803521

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol - if you have your hood up as Nero while fighting Goliath, his roar will knock it back down.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Getting V's pets back on SoS is much harder than it was on devil hunter lol

I imagine it is horrible in DMD.

Malphas and the doggies felt easier though, maybe just because I am more used to the tools available? And also because, uh, Nero got more tools

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Using DT insta revives them so always keep some.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RBX posted:

Using DT insta revives them so always keep some.

I meant the level where they are taken away, that does not really work without unlocking nightmare first.

Unlocking nightmare first sounds like a very bad idea

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

JBP posted:

I would say it's for the story, but also V is as much Vergil as Urizen is. It makes sense because the thing Vergil has become is entirely something else and you could argue that V trying to get his poo poo back together is more of Vergil than Urizen is. I guess that's not very elegant, but I think it makes sense that they'd call the new entity by it's common name given that V and Dante always refer to it as Urizen anyway (from memory).

Except judging by Dante’s reaction to V rejoining with Urizen, he knows Urizen is Vergil but not that V is too, right?

Everyone who judges games by hours-to-dollars ratio is stupid as gently caress not just because these games have incentive to play past the campaign but because the ratio for even like a well-made six-hour game at full price is better than plunking down fifteen bucks to see the newest Marvel movie on opening night.

Also what happened to just replaying a game you enjoyed without needing an incentive to because it’s fun, where did that go

and I like Destiny

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 19, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Luisfe posted:

I meant the level where they are taken away, that does not really work without unlocking nightmare first.

If you are on DMD you came to gently caress, you might as well go all out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pirate Jet posted:

Except judging by Dante’s reaction to V rejoining with Urizen, he knows Urizen is Vergil but not that V is too, right?

I think it just dawns on him that he's been played by Vergil, whose ability to gauge his idiot brother resides in the scheming V.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guys I have live action cutscenes enabled and started the game and went to the loo for a bit and came back and I can now report that THERE IS A LIVE ACTION CUTSCENE FOR THE OPENING MOVIE TOO

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think I hate Devil Sword Dante. The phantom swords are cool and all but they do hardly any damage unless you charge them for a dog's age and don't increase the style meter much to boot. It's not at all worth giving up your entire B/Circle button functionality in Swordmaster mode.

Urizen isn't Vergil. That much is made clear in the final boss fight against him, where he demonstrates he knows nothing of Vergil's past or motivations. He's a separate entity that, when combined with V (who is also a separate entity), makes one whole Vergil. Urizen isn't just him in disguise or whathaveyou.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Ohh my bad. I do shadow first and fight Goliath, then Griffon and do Angelo. Last is Artemis. What order have you been doing? If one boss is hard than the other for you save them for last.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I think I hate Devil Sword Dante. The phantom swords are cool and all but they do hardly any damage unless you charge them for a dog's age and don't increase the style meter much to boot. It's not at all worth giving up your entire B/Circle button functionality in Swordmaster mode.

Urizen isn't Vergil. That much is made clear in the final boss fight against him, where he demonstrates he knows nothing of Vergil's past or motivations. He's a separate entity that, when combined with V (who is also a separate entity), makes one whole Vergil. Urizen isn't just him in disguise or whathaveyou.

I think it's worth it just for having an actual air combo to be honest. The feeling of air tricking and going straight into a combo and being able to dash away on a big boss is great. I haven't looked at the actual damage of the swords but I kind of mash O with Triangle together so I see it as just free damage?

Plus the DT effects it gives you are great:

Royal Guard - Swords guard with you, reduces your chip damage taken
Gunslinger - Swords shoot out towards whatever you're locked on to
Trickster - You can jump and airdash additional times. I honestly can't tell how this works because sometimes I like, triple jump triple dash but it makes you fly basically
Swordmaster - Adds swords to EVERY attack regardless of weapon. This does mean that in DSD DT you basically lose your Style button - it will "distract" the swords. But if you're in DT and using say, Balrog, you can do stuff like charge your Forward-O punch move and the swords will pop up and attack enemies while you charge, or when you use Cavalier's O move and drift around swords will circle all around and do wide AOE damage. It's an entire moveset - different moves do different things.

You can also achieve the same thing without being in DT by holding triangle with the final sword equipped.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I only use Rebellion because DSD looks bad and Sparda is not Dante's weapon, it's Trish's

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Trying to figure out which style rank announcer is my favorite, I think it's Morrison if only for "YOU WORK OFF THAT DEBT, SON!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DSD owns bones and it looks that way because that’s how Dante wants it to look.