Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Saw rumblings on Twitter that the LNP won’t be preferencing PHON in the federal election.

So if the knock on effect is that PHON won’t preference the LNP, then that can only be good for Labor, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I also saw that they are keeping their options open about preferencing PHON

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
PHON won't preference Labor so no, zero impact on the LNP. It may keep PHON out of parliament though.

Thats the ridiculous part of the LNP preference deals with PHON. They're ideologically incapable of preferencing a leftist candidate, so they never will. Libs never needed to do a preference deal and never should have. They only did because racists in charge.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bell jar posted:

You just sign up and follow folks you want to follow, it's basically twitter with less people on it (for now). The decentralised part seems to throw people ("how do i follow someone on another server", "do i have to sign up on each server i interact with", etc) but it's mostly like email in that sense - you have your username at your domain, and you can follow/be followed by other people on other domains, because all the servers federate and communicate using the same protocols. The benefit of this is that you can have a mastodon instance - like auspol.cafe - that caters to a niche audience & has local moderation and administration. Server admins can choose to defederate with any other servers that don't align with the principles of your server, which means that nazi/alt-right servers can be blocked wholly, stopping those folks from harassing your server from theirs.

Also since the servers are self hosted and funded, there's no need for ads, which owns.

So basically it’s a DIY echo chamber

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Old guy at work pulled the same, it was an egg this time but what about next time schtick. He tried to say that what happened in Christchurch would be the obvious result of letting egging go unpunished.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

If he was a white male, he'd be getting an invitation to Parliament and a state dinner.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gay picnic defence posted:

So basically it’s a DIY echo chamber
yes

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Re: Eggboy vs. Fraser Anning vs. decorum, I'd like to share Tristian's Rule of Violence:

From this article:

https://dailyreview.com.au/tristian-climate-strike-fraser-anning/81731/

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
All I remember from high school history was learning about WW1 -> WW2 -> Cold War and also China from Boxer Rebellion to Great Leap Forward.

Definitely learnt more about European history than Australian history, especially indigenous history.

I’m old though, so this was in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I had to click the link on seeing that, and to reiterate: lmao

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/19/qa-recap-liberal-senator-linda-reynolds-appears-to-link-terrorism-to-refugees

quote:

Questioner Ray Martin had asked the panel whether politicians created the Islamophobia that allegedly motivated the Christchurch attacker, who was Australian.
“Isn’t it time that our political discourse is more measured, and politicians do not exploit the fear of others, as we have for many years now?” he asked.
“You look back to Tampa, children overboard and issues like that. For a generation now sadly, every election time we start talking about immigration, border security … they’ve been couched, almost for a generation, around ‘others.’”
Jones then asked Reynolds to respond to reports that Scott Morrison, when in opposition, urged colleagues to use the fear of Muslim refugees to win votes.
“Do you agree that fear of others has been used for political purposes?” he asked.

“This is a very personal issue for me,” Reynolds replied. “The circumstances that you were talking about are things I’ve lived through. Last month, I gave probably the hardest and most personal speech I’ve ever given in the Senate. And it was in response to Labor’s amendments to the medevac bill.
“I was literally almost physically ill when I saw some of my Senate and House of Representatives colleagues in the chamber cheering and high-fiving the passage of these amendments. Because I was one of the few in that chamber who has lived through terrorism and the impact, up in the Bali bombings.
“I was up there, I saw, I smelt and I got to understand the commodification of human beings. There are people in our own nation and there are people overseas who want to do us harm. They don’t respect our compassion. And they certainly do not respect our way of life.”
Jones interrupted, asking: “Are you drawing a link between the Bali bombings and refugees coming to Australia for medical services?”
Reynolds: “What I’m saying is that having my colleagues cheer for this policy that will inevitably lead to the boat trade coming again.
“There are thousands of people who are up near north, who people smugglers don’t see as human beings, but as commodities to profit from. I saw that first-hand in 2001 and 2002. I saw the consequences on those who are desperate enough to come here and they drowned the most horrendous deaths. And it happened again when Labor opened the borders.”
She said Morrison had not used anti-Muslim sentiment to win votes. “The prime minister has been very clear tonight it did not happen. It simply did not happen. For anybody to politicise this issue now … is inappropriate and tacky”.
Get hosed

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Yeah. Reynolds just blew any chance Abbott and Frydenberg ever had of keeping their seats by saying the quiet part loud on national tv.

Oops.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

:hmmyes:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Who'd have thought that an ex brigadier general wouldn't be too smart?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What is it about the army that makes it spit out right wing crazies into parliament?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What is it about the army that makes it spit out right wing crazies into parliament?

The government calls it the "army", but a more alarmist name would be The Killbot Factory.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
please dont doxx my baby metal fanclub name.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It's a crowded field, but I may have found the hottest hot take on the tragedy in Christchurch:

https://twitter.com/jcobevans/status/1107909461073510400

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The media has been relatively quiet on the Aged Care Royal Commission. I think the Guardian has been the only source of updates from it, which the evidence is pretty horrible and nasty.

You should have heard Renyolds' speech in the Senate when the bill was passed. She is a total grub.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anidav posted:

Energy policy is literally "free market maybe?"

Australia's ridiculous energy market literally drives my career because all these different energy companies are also free to pick which software system calculates and prints your bill and manages your customer service calls. Having worked directly for two of them, they're all basically equally lovely.

However since you're forced to pay for power from someone billing software providers can charge basically whatever seems good and cartel up.

Did you just receive a new automatic email or piece of advertising trash from your utility provider?
$10000 of your bill money got spent implementing that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tasmantor posted:

Old guy at work pulled the same, it was an egg this time but what about next time schtick. He tried to say that what happened in Christchurch would be the obvious result of letting egging go unpunished.

I advise that you crack an egg on him, to show him the difference firsthand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

The government calls it the "army", but a more alarmist name would be The Killbot Factory.

Kent Brockman was right

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

You Am I posted:

You should have heard Renyolds' speech in the Senate when the bill was passed. She is a total grub.

Is she up for election this year? What are her prospects?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Lord Bude posted:

Is she up for election this year? What are her prospects?
She's one of 2 WA Liberal Senators up for re-election.

I don't know her position on the ticket but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the first two which all but ensures her of re-election. Even being bumped to 3 wouldn't necessarily rule her out.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gridlocked posted:

Dammit bell jar stop being so nice looking standing there with your little dog friend

A chin that stops traffic

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

My high school teacher story is of one defending the beating of Rodney King and how the officers were left with no other choice because (you know) drugs and super human ability. I'm not angry at him. Don't get me wrong, you're a fuckhead Mr Smith, but it was the first time I really, strongly rejected what I someone was trying to "teach" me. That's even with a Catholic education.

In hindsight, I'm a bit proud of 15yo me.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Adam Hills update - Still not getting it.

Adam Hills Facebook posted:

We live in interesting times.

A few years ago I posted my anger at Pauline Hanson’s Islamophobic comments about terrorist attacks. Clumsily, I admit. I was soundly abused by the more right-leaning online community, and called a leftard, and unpatriotic.

Last Friday I awoke in London to the terrible news from New Zealand. I spent the day planning how to address it, and the rising scourge of Islamophobia, on the TV show I host, The Last Leg. That night I spoke at length about what we can all do to stem bigotry, and in particular we condemned the horrific statements of an Australian Senator named Fraser Anning.

The next day I read that someone had smashed an egg on that Senator, and I immediately tweeted that I didn’t think that was the best response. After all, we spoke out against the person that smashed an egg on Jeremy Corbyn in London the previous week. I didn’t feel we can pick and choose which politicians deserve egging.

I was then soundly abused by the more left-leaning online community and called a Nazi sympathiser.

Is it possible I’m neither an unpatriotic leftard or a Nazi sympathizer, but somewhere in the middle?

A lot of people have accused me online of “not reading the room”. It’s true, that being based in London I may have a different feel for the public vibe than if I was in Australia. I certainly hadn’t seen the extent to which Anning is associating with violent criminals and the ultra far-right.

However, it also means I’m in a country where an MP was shot and killed during the 2016 Brexit Referendum by someone who disagreed with her. Where a few weeks ago I sat next to an MP on The Last Leg couch as she scrolled through her messages, and watched her brush past one with a casual “More death threats”, before she found the message she was looking for.

Even in my home country, I am friends with a former Senator who once found bullets on their doorstep, because of their pro-immigration views.

These incidents are clearly more serious than an egg being smashed on someone’s head, but I’d argue they are what happen when people seem to think the rules of law don’t apply when dealing with politicians.

I didn’t cheer when Tony Abbott was punched during Australia’s recent same-sex marriage referendum. Does that make me a homophobe? I didn’t think it funny when John Prescott was egged in the UK a few years back, nor when Julia Gillard, Ed Milliband, or Arnold Schwarzenegger were hit by eggs.

The case of John Prescott is a curious one actually, because to this day I hear Labour supporters chuckle at how great it was that Prescott threw a few jabs back in return. Occasionally he’ll be invited onto a chat show, where inevitably everyone will laugh about the time he threw punches at a constituent. And that’s what also concerns me.

Those opposed to the eggee see them as humiliated. Those in support of the eggee don’t like the humiliation, and admire a robust response. And if the eggee has the peace of mind to stay calm afterwards, they can even look like a martyr.

Remember when someone threw a cream pie in Rupert Murdoch’s face during hearing into press conduct a few years back? He instantly went from a belligerent fool to a fragile victim in the swoop of an arm.

Clearly, the main takeaways from the events of Christchurch are bigger than an egg. And I did cover them at length on air on Friday night. Unfortunately for those in Australia, my immediate opinions won’t be aired on the ABC for a few days. So I understand how it seemed like my first response to what happened was to criticise a kid with an egg.

But it feels to me that if I speak out against random acts of abuse after an attack supposedly carried out in the name of Islam, then I should do the same when the attack comes from a white supremacist. What’s interesting again, is that the abuse I get when I do the former, is almost identical to the abuse I got when I did the latter. Just from different sides.

Maybe I’m wrong on this one. Maybe I’ve misread the room. If so, I’ll take it. But I think it’s quite a leap to read one tweet of mine, and instantly jump to the conclusion that I’m a “fascist enabler”, a “racist” or a “Nazi sympathiser.”

Especially when you consider what I have said and tweeted in the past.

I read an online article today that ended thus:

“Anyway, we must protect the Egg Teen at all costs. And we must continue to dunk on loving idiots who argue for civility politics days after a massacre”

With a few days of clarity, I can see what Eggboy has achieved. He rallied support, made people laugh, and is now donating cash to Christchurch. Fair play.

However, I’m afraid I’ll always argue for civility politics. On both sides. Especially after a massacre.

PS For what it’s worth, this is what we said on The Last Leg on the day of the attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X38wqaZL-8

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

I didn’t feel we can pick and choose which politicians deserve egging.
Yes, you can, and it's actually really easy: Are they a nazi? If yes, egg away

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

Adam Hills update - Still not getting it.

someone take his other foot for using the word leftard

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/03/scott-morrison-wants-to-suspend-live-streaming/

me am scomo, me am smart

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Just put the internet on a 30 second delay like live sport, it's not hard.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I don't think they should ban streaming but I could definitely get behind a registry before you can stream live on social media. Give us your name, address, and 100 points of ID and you can stream live, and you're legally responsible for the content.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If that just pushes content like the shooting out to fringe streaming sites instead of preventing them entirely, I'm fine with that, because at least it stops the majority of people from easily seeing/sharing that poo poo. Places like Liveleak are always going to exist but at least they don't currently have a monopoly on global internet traffic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think there’s a lot of interesting discussions to have around how to address publishing platforms that claim they are unable to comply with law through moderation due to the amount of material they’re publishing.

A complaints based system may be sufficient for addressing copyright (as a backup for when users circumvent automated moderation), but when the content itself is illegal for whatever reason (hate speech being one example) which has the potential for immediate harm which can’t be fully redressed (compared to copyright infringements where monetary damages can in theory recover harm done), many platforms have proven themselves utterly unable to deal with that in a timely manner (or at all) through user driven complaints.

Scott Morrison is obviously not the person to start or participate in those types of discussions and this is dumb knee jerky idiocy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dotted line is the current downturn compared to all others.
:allears:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Synthbuttrange posted:

god drat

mama likey

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I would have thought that a savvy online community like ours would have not fallen hook, line and sinker for Morrison desperately trying to find someone ELSE to blame for the ongoing actions of his government and "tribe". These clowns have shown repeatedly that they have no understanding on the most rudimentary level of any online technology. This is a smoke screen and nothing more. What could Australia actually do to "Ban live streaming"? Seriously, what a bunch of complete idiots.

If only the ALP where really in a position to take the moral high ground, but alas they have the same brand of dog whistle lodged in their backsides too. The "gaff" by Daley is only the tip of that iceberg.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've actually started househunting in full sincerity (because I'm an idiot) and this makes me very happy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cartoon posted:

I would have thought that a savvy online community like ours would have not fallen hook, line and sinker for Morrison desperately trying to find someone ELSE to blame for the ongoing actions of his government and "tribe". These clowns have shown repeatedly that they have no understanding on the most rudimentary level of any online technology. This is a smoke screen and nothing more. What could Australia actually do to "Ban live streaming"? Seriously, what a bunch of complete idiots.

If only the ALP where really in a position to take the moral high ground, but alas they have the same brand of dog whistle lodged in their backsides too. The "gaff" by Daley is only the tip of that iceberg.

I agree, it’s a shame there have been so many posts in here agreeing with Scott Morrison and so few pointing out that he’s a very large part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

While some of the blame can be put onto sites like Facebook and services like Twitter, there's a lot of unsavoury sites that are still hiding under the radar that need to be called out.