Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Trying to figure out which style rank announcer is my favorite, I think it's Morrison if only for "YOU WORK OFF THAT DEBT, SON!"

Yeah but on the other hand if you gently caress up with Nico as the announcer she calls you a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

did you get the 1.20x bonus

Alright, I tried this on mission 2. I purposefully died to the boss and chose give up then restarted from checkpoint and beat it. The bonus & penalty screen showed nothing.
In my memory I've gotten the bonus before but guess I was wrong.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 19, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the use for Maximum Bet when it does 2/3 of the damage Showdown does even when fully charged and even less if you try to use it as a projectile?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Luisfe posted:

I meant the level where they are taken away, that does not really work without unlocking nightmare first.

Unlocking nightmare first sounds like a very bad idea
It worked for me on Devil Hunter. There are enough white orbs inside and outside of the arena for 2 full DT meters, so I just summoned Nightmare once, ran around the arena a bit, summoned him again and I was done. I don't remember if I did it against Cavaliere or Goliath, but I think it'd work on either. I didn't even try in on SoS though, can't imagine it'd work well.

BBJoey posted:

I only use Rebellion because DSD looks bad and Sparda is not Dante's weapon, it's Trish's
Sometimes I use Sparda for the DMC1 nostalgia, but yeah, the Dante sword looks like garbage. I really wish you could have DSD functionality on the other swords.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whelp, I just read a Newsweek article and whoops-daisy Reubon Langdon is a loving CHUD. It doesn’t impact my enjoyment of this game at all, because Dante isn’t a CHUD but yeah I won’t be following Langdon outside of this project anymore.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah I learned that this week as well. And it's Q Anon tier as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I tried so hard to hold out hope but no, he literally talks about #MeToo and #BlackLivesMatter and Trump all in the same interview, it’s like the perfect CHUD hat trick. What a goddam shame.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The purpose of DSD's Swords isn't purely damage. The style button creates a series of hitboxes that can be triggered during any animation without interrupting it, so you can do all sorts of things; add hits to combos, launch and start juggling an enemy, knock back somebody who is approaching to harass you, etc. One of my favorite new tricks now is starting some kind of long, uncancelable animation like Mega Cascade, switching to Swordmaster, and using DSD swords to defend myself during wind up or cool down. Oh, you thought you were going to knock me out of that animation? Phantom High Time into gently caress You Laser, true combo. Round Trip especially is great for just harassing enemies and interrupting their animations, and you have access to your entire kit of sword moves while you charge it.

And that's not even getting into the Charged/DT swords. Those long Gunslinger animations can be automatically defended by auto targeting homing swords. The RG swords make it almost impossible to lose style to getting hit. The Trickster swords somehow give you even more mobility. And the Swordmaster swords expand, enhance, and extend the duration of pretty much every melee hitbox, adding range and extra hits to every melee attack, increasing the number of enemies that can be caught and held in them, and thus increasing damage and style and keeping you safer.

Plus, they're just cool. Summoned Swords is the one thing Vergil could do that Dante just couldn't, and now not only does Dante have his own summoned swords, but they are distinct from Vergil's in a way that totally matches Dante's character.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If you’re worried about Langdon being a chud, that sucks, but what’s more worrying is that Morrison is voiced by a white guy who pretends to be black on his YouTube channel. And is also a chud.

I’m not gonna let it ruin my enjoyment of the game but yeah, yikes.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's times like this I'm glad I don't care about or get invested in actors or voice actors outside of the work they do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

If you’re worried about Langdon being a chud, that sucks, but what’s more worrying is that Morrison is voiced by a white guy who pretends to be black on his YouTube channel. And is also a chud.

i suspected that first bit just listening to him but thought it was too ludicrous to be real

why not just hire an actual black guy ffs

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I dunno, Critical Role is pretty fun.

Really as soon as you step outside of SAG-AFTRA waters things start to get really shady.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I normally don’t, but the story of Langdon doing some mocap work and doing such an amazing job that they basically reformatted the character to be more like him, was a beautiful one. It was about a man who so loved stylish action combat that he became the patron saint of it. He’s even married to the mocap actress who does Lady! I guess none of that is different now, he’s just a dude with some sick moves, a hot Asian wife, and terrible, just awful political views.

Morrison is in this game for like 4 minutes totally, IDGAF about him at all.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wait Morrison isn't black? What the gently caress. Why not keep him white like the anime then?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
his voice work isn't even that good! he sounds like a lovely Big Al impression!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reuben Langdon is the "keep an open mind" guy to a fault, this isn't the first time he's stuck his foot in his own mouth by chiming in on current events. The Newsweek article (unsurprisingly) takes his word pretty far out of context but I listened to the podcast and that is the gist of what he said. I don't think he is part of the CHUD boogeyman army but his understanding of some of the stuff the article brings up seems very surface-level unfortunately. A bit more research would do him well.

edit: Stuff like giving the QAnon people the time of day is just indefensible, though, because even a modicum of deeper thought would tell you it's all bullshit. UFOs, knock yourself out dude who even knows; QAnon, I don't think so man.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 19, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've known for a while that Langdon is a gigantic loving hippie (seriously I tried to follow him on Twitter back then and couldn't deal with all the hippie poo poo) so I can't say I'm surprised that he can get led on by chud thinking. Still a bummer, hope he isn't that deep into right-wing insanity and is just an idiot at times.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If he's into QAnon then there's no hope for him

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For reference, he didn't just bring these things up out of nowhere, he was prompted to talk about Vic Mignona by the podcasters and it just went from there -> twitter stuff -> politics stuff and back for a while before moving onto talk about truth-seeking and investigating conspiracies. It was a really weird conversation and only tangentially about DMC and his work, fascinating to peek into his mind and all but I'm not sure what the point was.

That stuff about Morrison's VA is fuckin wild though, I have no idea what to even make of that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 19, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tony Camen’s videos are literally unforgivably racist and him being attached to so many kids shows and video games makes me think nobody has ever attempted to vet him. He’s like “big buck teeth me so solly” levels of gross.

Edit: Vic Mengona is a different cast member who touched a butts

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 19, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Just wanted to say this game is extremely good.

I hope Vergil is added as a playable character in DLC at some point. He was so loving fun to play as in DMC3.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is literally no way on Earth that isn’t going to happen.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think it's worth it just for having an actual air combo to be honest. The feeling of air tricking and going straight into a combo and being able to dash away on a big boss is great. I haven't looked at the actual damage of the swords but I kind of mash O with Triangle together so I see it as just free damage?

Plus the DT effects it gives you are great:

Royal Guard - Swords guard with you, reduces your chip damage taken
Gunslinger - Swords shoot out towards whatever you're locked on to
Trickster - You can jump and airdash additional times. I honestly can't tell how this works because sometimes I like, triple jump triple dash but it makes you fly basically
Swordmaster - Adds swords to EVERY attack regardless of weapon. This does mean that in DSD DT you basically lose your Style button - it will "distract" the swords. But if you're in DT and using say, Balrog, you can do stuff like charge your Forward-O punch move and the swords will pop up and attack enemies while you charge, or when you use Cavalier's O move and drift around swords will circle all around and do wide AOE damage. It's an entire moveset - different moves do different things.

You can also achieve the same thing without being in DT by holding triangle with the final sword equipped.

IIRC there is no RG chip damage for regular blocks, it drains DT instead and gives you less on the revenge bar and less style.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, Langdon definitely got into it more for the kooky conspiracy theory stuff than any actual hatred (brief reminder his recent stint of getting shot at in Guatemala was because he was filming some kind of ancient aliens theory doc) but conspiracy theorists tend to gravitate, and the right wing has leaned on them as they need to come up with more and more outlandish reasons why anyone should ever trust them with anything. Alex Jones started his career pretty centrist and got more and more far-right as time went on. And the rest is just Reuben being an astoundingly privileged white dude.

So, I dunno. It sucks, but DMC5 is still a good-rear end game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bradzilla posted:

Just wanted to say this game is extremely good.

I hope Vergil is added as a playable character in DLC at some point. He was so loving fun to play as in DMC3.

There's a video going around showing off that he has a half-finished playable moveset and control scheme, so it's almost assured that this will happen.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 19, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just want to acknowledge how happy it made me when Nero activated his Devil Trigger for the first time by flipping the bird and screaming really loud

It was just the perfect silly cherry on top of that whole sequence.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I just want to acknowledge how happy it made me when Nero activated his Devil Trigger for the first time by flipping the bird and screaming really loud

Not just that: screaming out loud gently caress YOU at his dad. It's perfection.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RBX posted:

Ohh my bad. I do shadow first and fight Goliath, then Griffon and do Angelo. Last is Artemis. What order have you been doing? If one boss is hard than the other for you save them for last.

Have been doing decently with Shadow/Angelo, then Griffon/Artemis. Big dudes last.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PantsBandit posted:

The way the dramatic violin immediately cuts out and is replaced by Devil Trigger (Silver Bullet) Remix as soon as you hit it is fantastic.

Speaking of which, the tiny slice of lyrics that come in if you do the super duper special move when you get your chance is so drat good. Endgame spoilers obviously. To get this to happen you have to smash Vergil and his shadow clone together with the Devil Buster when he's stunned.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 19, 2019

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know if we're talking about wishlist stuff, my #1 hope for dlc is the return of legendary dark knight mode from the pc version of DMC4. That difficulty devolved into the most glorious stupid loud nonsense in the best possible way.

https://youtu.be/73tOwY-8UgY

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Might be harder this time since the graphics are 20x better. DMC4 could do that because by the time it came to PC the power of computers combined with the greatness of MT framework could handle it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Lady telling Nero he would never get over killing his father is so mind bendingly baffling to me that it feels like whoever wrote this game never played DMC3. She and Trish feel almost non-existent and it's a shame.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I don't know, seems to me like she'd know...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah and unlike Pizza Uncle Dante he actually has to work through enough emotional stuff

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guess who found out that if you hold the R stick down for too long it activates a new control scheme

Guess who found out specifically in the final boss fight

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CordlessPen posted:

I don't know, seems to me like she'd know...

She of all people would be the one to say "actually killing your dad is good and right when he's a giant piece of poo poo."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Lady telling Nero he would never get over killing his father is so mind bendingly baffling to me that it feels like whoever wrote this game never played DMC3. She and Trish feel almost non-existent and it's a shame.

Lady is from every single thing described in the game a broken-as-poo poo person who spends her days either killing demons as the sole regular human in the series or getting shitfaced drunk. If she says killing her dad hosed her up, I think we can believe her. Lady killing her dad did not appear to do her any favors as a person. Honestly Nero seems to be the only person in the DMC protagonist lineup who appears functional outside of murdering demons

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk despite Dante's goofy disposition he shows a surprising amount of maturity and is generally treated as the beacon of humanity and compassion to the point he is Nero's first real role model. Also yeah, Lady didn't just up and kill her dad no problem she agonized over having to do it when she actually found him in the hallway and even acter having been betrayed by him she still cried and felt genuine sorrow over having to do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Idk despite Dante's goofy disposition he shows a surprising amount of maturity and is generally treated as the beacon of humanity and compassion to the point he is Nero's first real role model. Also yeah, Lady didn't just up and kill her dad no problem she agonized over having to do it when she actually found him in the hallway and even acter having been betrayed by him she still cried and felt genuine sorrow over having to do it.

Dante is a good person but also basically is constantly broke and basically only seems to have his stuff together when he's murdering demons and saving the world. Which to be fair is a very good time to have your stuff together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is more that they never spend any time building up Dante and Lady's emotional baggage from killing a family member so when Lady just says "that'll gently caress you up" it comes out of nowhere because she spent the rest of the game doing comedy relief with Nico. Telling us she's messed up in notes isn't a replacement for showing us