Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
edit: quote is not edit

xtal posted:

No, and I'm not some kind of reporting snitch, but I hope the mod who warned you against this behaviour follows through. Regardless of whether you think you're right or not (you're not) it's not the time.

I didn't want to summarize it in one argument that you could straw man, but: if a person is about to kill themself (the least rational, least self-respecting thing a person can do) then you shouldn't expect them to be rational or respectful to you, who is objectively less important to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ChairMaster posted:

That's like the most common story I've heard from crackheads in Nanaimo too, seems like they all used to work in Alberta doing oil jobs but then got hooked on drugs and came to the island assumedly so they don't freeze to death in the winter.

I could have sworn there were other posts where he talked about being from Nanaimo... maybe he didn't reference it directly in those. I guess it doesn't matter as he said he was going to Vancouver, but he may have family there

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
EDIT: Nevermind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s hosed up but you’re not in the same place he is, so you should move past it.

The worst part about depression is that it further isolates you as you push away all but your toughest and closest friends and family.

I hope you changed your mind in the moment Chairmaster, and that you get help. There can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

linoleum floors posted:

kenny wont drop her and she'll still win because its calgary

Literally nothing could keep him from winning. Kenney could teabag a dog on live TV and win if he promised everyone $300 off their yearly tax bill. loving Alberta.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just wish he was able to start seeing a psych many years ago. He posted a lot about the fear and panic just at looking up a psych online. He was in the dumps for years. Just terrible stuff.

Hell, if I was in his shoes with no spouse, no friends, no close relationships with family, I'd be considering some bad decisions too. Video games and shitposting is not a life by itself.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JawKnee posted:

I could have sworn there were other posts where he talked about being from Nanaimo... maybe he didn't reference it directly in those. I guess it doesn't matter as he said he was going to Vancouver, but he may have family there

I sure hope he got the help he needs from his family there if so. As much as I love these forums they just cant build/replace the close personal relationships you need most if you suffer from depression.

Also PT6A I mean this in the most honest and respectful way that I can; please take this moment to just reflect and not post. I dont want you to say something you will regret. It wont help anyone.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

:captainpop:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Don't be a prick, I edited it out because I regretted it, and I sent Helsing a PM about some of the reasons I've said what I've said. It has been suggested to me that I not share them any further here which is why I've not gone any further into it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

I sure hope he got the help he needs from his family there if so. As much as I love these forums they just cant build/replace the close personal relationships you need most if you suffer from depression.

They definitely can’t, and more to the point some of the SA sub forums are real bad for your mental health. This is one of them, and this thread in particular. There is a ton of anger and sadness throughout any politics thread, but this one in particular is really negative about everything.

When I went through some real bad periods with nobody to talk to in person, various fitness threads were super helpful, as were random video game threads. Being able to just talk about things you enjoy is wonderful and distracting. Focusing on things that make you sad and angry is not.

Not sure there’s any way around that given the climate we live in, but for those who do have mental health issues, please keep that in mind. Sometimes you should just log off or stop following certain threads for a while. Nothing we do here will fix the world, and even if it did, if you don’t take care of yourself you won’t be able to contribute.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So, how about that Canada? Wacky stuff happens there sometimes, like the most senior public servant just up and quitting because the definitely not partisan thing he did looked too partisan for him to continue acting nonpartisan during an election year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We made a video for GC for work and the main colour had to be yellow because it is an election year.

Purple would also have been acceptable.

These are things public servants care a shocking amount about.

Except for this guy I guess.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

So, how about that Canada? Wacky stuff happens there sometimes, like the most senior public servant just up and quitting because the definitely not partisan thing he did looked too partisan for him to continue acting nonpartisan during an election year.

He isnt even leaving right away, the guy is just not going to run again in the upcoming election. Way to take responsibility!

There is no way the Cons lose this election short of them doing something massively and magically stupid.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Jordan7hm posted:

They definitely can’t, and more to the point some of the SA sub forums are real bad for your mental health. This is one of them, and this thread in particular. There is a ton of anger and sadness throughout any politics thread, but this one in particular is really negative about everything.

The endless praise slathered on CI by some of the folks in this thread is a great example

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Butcher posted:

loving force treatment on them if you can.

I don't think anyone should have any kind of treatment forced on them. I agree you can see the trend in his posting and he's clearly very depressed but taking away someone's freedom doesn't do anything.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2022

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yes, and the Ontario equivalent, the form 3, because I've had it used on me.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 9, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

We made a video for GC for work and the main colour had to be yellow because it is an election year.

Purple would also have been acceptable.

These are things public servants care a shocking amount about.

Except for this guy I guess.

Exactly. You cannot get hired into the public service without being able to prove you understand not to get involved in politics. Itt I gave that gentleman far too much credit, since it's his job to enforce that throughout government. The head of the civil service got seduced by the Liberals, but didn't have nearly the pzazz to pull of Trudeau's brand of say the right things while doing wrong. The clerk of the privy counsel descending into partisanship ought to be the bigger scandal. I suppose it doesn't play well. If they polled the public, "knows what the privy counsel is" would probably not register beyond the margin of error.

The funnier story from today though is Brian Mulroney calling his daughter's cabinet predecessor a "little girl", then blaming it on a french language error. Caroline Mulroney being Ontario's Minister for Francophone Affairs. And the criticism of her being that she was a government shill and didn't actually care about French language rights. Thanks for the help dad! :tipshat:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I don't think anyone should have any kind of treatment forced on them. I agree you can see the trend in his posting and he's clearly very depressed but taking away someone's freedom doesn't do anything.

In principle, I agree, but there really should be some point when someone is publicly saying "I've figured out how I want to kill myself and I'm going to do it soon" that we can yank them and force drugs and counseling on them for a bit.

There are many reasons we should be allowed to self terminate with dignity, but it has to be a completely sane and lucid decision.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e actually, I don't like arguing over this lol

xtal fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 19, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My major concerns right now are the environment and limiting "foreign investment" (chinese) in our housing market and I'm stuck in Jagmeet's riding so I'm powerless to affect anything, feels great!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The white genocide lady is no longer running for the UCP

https://twitter.com/a_picazo/status/1107899473399668736?s=21

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

if anyone gets any new information about chairmaster please pass it along to the mod/admin team. we're all very worried and want to know if he's ok.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm hoping CM just had a dark night of the soul and didn't go past his limit. That's some really rough stuff to read, especially given his tendency to tell us all it was happening.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

R. Guyovich posted:

if anyone gets any new information about chairmaster please pass it along to the mod/admin team. we're all very worried and want to know if he's ok.

Not sure if anyone else has said it, but I want to thank you guys and gals on the mod/admin team for doing what you could to get emergency help for CM. I hope he turns up safe.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I just want him to live to see the destruction of Canada he so desperately wants :(

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm glad the mods and admins jumped on it so quickly. I hope he ends up okay. It makes me really sad that he's in so much pain.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

THC posted:

The white genocide lady is no longer running for the UCP

https://twitter.com/a_picazo/status/1107899473399668736?s=21

Refuses to provide a comment to PressProgress before they published her own words. Then after they publish she says both:
1. "These comments published by PressProgress are distoritions and are not reflective of my views", with
2. "By working with Karim Jivraj as a source, PressProgress has show itself to be utterly without regard for truth or decency."

If those weren't your words, fine. Say so. If they were, then take responsibility, don't blame the press for publishing what a politician running for office says.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's morbid, but I keep checking the Vancouver and Victoria newsfeeds on my CTV app. Haven't read anything yet so I hope that's a good sign for CM.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Enbridge looks to get ahead of climate change by burying pipeline under the Don

The kinds of people who deny climate change* are preparing for it :thunk:

*I don't know if Enbridge specifically has been publicly denied climate change but energy companies and their stakeholders tend to be bad about that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mik posted:

I just want him to live to see the destruction of Canada he so desperately wants :(

it’s never gonna happen :getin:

e: the destruction of Canada, that is

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/tom_cardoso/status/1098272741579464705

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This really should have been a bigger story but got swept aside in Trudeaumania

https://twitter.com/POLSToronto/status/654770866597728256

quote:

The co-chair of the Liberal election campaign started working for TransCanada Corp. last spring, providing advice to the firm on its controversial Energy East pipeline project at the same time as he was trying to help Justin Trudeau win the next election.

Dan Gagnier was forced to resign following revelations he had recently advised TransCanada on the best way to lobby the next government, which could well be Liberal. Mr. Trudeau slammed his former top adviser's role with TransCanada on Thursday, acknowledging it created the perception he was selling knowledge acquired on the Liberal campaign trail.

More:

https://twitter.com/macleans/status/654836692906586113

gently caress the Liberals, etc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mik posted:

Posts like this, even in jest, are getting lame now. And push peoples towards a greater depression.

So please kindly stop doing this bullshit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Libs: Gonna lib
Cons: Gonna be really racist
Dippers: Gonna work at party HQ and never get elected

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They don't call it a party for nothing

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Butcher posted:

In principle, I agree, but there really should be some point when someone is publicly saying "I've figured out how I want to kill myself and I'm going to do it soon" that we can yank them and force drugs and counseling on them for a bit.

There are many reasons we should be allowed to self terminate with dignity, but it has to be a completely sane and lucid decision.

You're assuming drugs and therapy actually work though1, but the truth is that suicide has been on a consistent climb and most of the science out there shows that few pharmacological interventions have any long term effect on suicide prevention, barring certain exceptions like severe mood disorders

I'm not trying to call you out in particular, but the general public's "I hope they get the help they need!" is really aggravating to me. The truth is that the only intervention that has any significant effect on suicide outcomes is just removing any way for someone to commit suicide. That's a bromide at best and realistically is just imprisoning someone with their depression.

If this is a dialogue we want to have as a society we need to understand that few things we do on this front actually work because most of the time suicide is caused by an individual internalizing problems with society. Feeling atomized and alone, worrying about the future and being able to support oneself, feeling worthless; these are often problems that society inflict on someone and then that person is gently told it's their fault they're isolated and alone.

The uncomfortable truth is that if we really care at all about people and suicide we need to drastically restructure the way society runs. I know most people in this thread know that but acting like mental health is somehow separate from societies other woes (capitalism) is naive.

(1) Therapy has better outcomes long term but it doesn't really work in a crisis, once someone has arrived at the place ChairMaster is at. There's some newer emergency pharma interventions that are promising but by and large most antidepressants do not work, sometimes performing worse than placebo and often disrupting and harming vital systems in the body

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We're not willing to restructure the way society runs to stop us from literally choking and drowning in our own poo poo; the rising number of suicides from people who decide they don't want to suffer through any more of what society's made them isn't going to convince anyone. What's a few hundred more dead sad people on a heap of about a billion dead starved/dehydrated/diseased people floating in the festering pool of oily garbage water where our food used to come from?

Capitalism is applied sociopathy.

Find a thing that makes you feel happy in the moment, and enjoy that moment. Nobody has a "happy life". Most of us just have happy moments in quick enough succession that the next one's worth reaching for it.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 19, 2019