Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Even when I’m home alone I get embarrassed standing in the middle of the room swinging the switch around.
Uh maybe you need to adjust the sensitivity because when I play Doom with gyro controls I sit perfectly still and move my wrists a total of maybe 15 degrees in either direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The gyro among in Captain Toad is good

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Do people think gyro aiming is really just flailing around using it as your primary way of aiming? Or do they realize you use the sticks as primary aiming and just fine tune with the gyro?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Even when I’m home alone I get embarrassed standing in the middle of the room swinging the switch around.

Maybe that was a testament to how bad the gyro shrines were in BOTW, but yeah. Gyro controls are dumb and wack. Immediately disable.

if you get embarrassed when you're alone i don't think that's the video game's fault

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I'm home alone and bump into a chair and say "Sorry", back up and knock over a glass, "Sorry!"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I normally don't mind motion or gyro in games but having spent yesterday evening unlocking the Shy Guy colours in Mario Tennis boy can that poo poo suck a fat one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like anything, it depends on the execution. Splatoon players generally swear by gyro aiming for fine tuning and vertical aiming.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Lol at caring what anyone outside this thread thinks.

new thread title please.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tom Nook owes the IRS thousands

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played DOOM on PC and realized that the auto-aim is really obvious with a controller.

Not that fine aim is really needed in the game but it feels so much better with gyro aim on the Switch (which disables auto aim, I'm pretty sure). It's a legitimate advantage the Switch version has, imho.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Nobody outside this thread thinks gyro is good just FYI
They are wrong

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

It's because Sony devs never used the SIXAXIS for anything besides boob physics and the worst way to throw grenades ever

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

asecondduck posted:

It's because Sony used the SIXAXIS for Lair

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Over There posted:

Tom Nook owes the IRS thousands

Nook is a disciple of Matthew Lesko and ends up getting federal grants of 10,000,000 bells each year. Have you ever noticed how we've never actually seen Tom Nook's tax returns? He's the biggest welfare recipient in all of Animal Crossing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Nook is a disciple of Matthew Lesko and ends up getting federal grants of 10,000,000 bells each year. Have you ever noticed how we've never actually seen Tom Nook's tax returns? He's the biggest welfare recipient in all of Animal Crossing.

That said, the fucker gives interest-free loans on home ownership and renovation. In this day and age he's practically a Communist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Unrelated note: I like the Starlink toys, but I'm probably crazy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unrelated note: I like the Starlink toys, but I'm probably crazy.

I mean, that's a decent desktop arwing

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I loaded up a new game of Animal Crossing and when I got to town Nook said I didn't qualify for a mortgage from fishing and collecting fruits.

I guess also because I didn't declare any of my income so now the feds are after me.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The Chocobo Mystery Dungeon game, it's a port, correct?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Yeah because they don't own a Switch with which to play BotW. Say what you will about the gyro shrines, but aiming the bow was a revelation.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't use gyro controls because as a massive loving fatass I hate to move my body any more than absolutely necessary.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I downloaded the Splatoon 2 demo last night and the onboarding tutorial makes you use gyro aiming and it was so bad I nearly deleted the game there and then.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I like gyro aiming in splatoon and Zelda. I tried it for a bit in warframe and I think it's neat, but the default aim sensitivity felt way off to begin with so it wasn't hard to improve it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Do people think gyro aiming is really just flailing around using it as your primary way of aiming? Or do they realize you use the sticks as primary aiming and just fine tune with the gyro?

I haven't tried it yet, because I am in handheld mode the vast majority of the time, and the rest of the time I don't want to take the joy cons out of the grip case.

But I did not in fact realize that it was the way you describe. If anything that sounds worse to me than fully-gyro aim.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will not eat green eggs and Ham. I do not like them Sam I am.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Yeah because they don't own a Switch with which to play BotW. Say what you will about the gyro shrines, but aiming the bow was a revelation.

Its bad and I turned it off within minutes after attempting to give it a chance.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you don't like gyro aiming give your Nintendo Switch away to somebody who will use it properly

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Gyro is terrible but using the sticks exclusively is even worse. Theyre so slip-slidey and feel nothing like an actual console controller

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I like using gyros in tandem with the right stick for aiming, it's about the closest thing to a mouse that I can use on a console. I dunno how anybody can aim with just an analog stick (unless the answer is "they don't")

That being said I still have to adjust the sensitivity of the stick and gyros, and even then it's not quite as good as mouse aiming. Still works better than the sole analog stick for me though.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 19, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I will admit, I'm one of those people who actually thinks gyro aiming is kinda awkward in BotW :(

Maybe it's because I only play handheld but I really wish I could tune it a bit, like changing the sensitivity. I also wish I could invert it horizontally because that's the only way it makes sense for me, but you can't do that without inverting the camera as well so either way one of them will be wrong.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I get really annoyed whenever a game that involves precision aiming doesn't offer gyro controls. What the gently caress, developers, its RIGHT loving there!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Splatoon is the series that convinced me there's a future for FPS games on consoles. Before that the whole idea was absolutely laughable and anyone suggesting otherwise was someone who didn't know better.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

To me, people who disable gyro aim on principle are like the people who turn off inverted controls for flight. "Up is up, and down is down!" they say with their broken brains.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nintendo spent an entire generation using motion controls as a gimmick so when they finally came up with a way to legitimately improve console shooters with it, no one outside the nintendo ecosystem believed it. imagine if everyone laughed off twin stick controls in halo and we were all still using goldeneye controls today, that's what playing shooters on PS4 feels like now.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I'm going to go home tonight and give gyro controls another shot, but I'm 99% sure you guys are full of poo poo and/or have bad opinions.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh no, people don't like a control scheme. What a tragedy.

Splatoon's way of handling the gyro controls are loving terrible, because locking the stick to the X-axis only makes it much harder to actually learn how to use the gyro controls, making the learning curve unnecessarily steep as a result. I don't blame anyone for bouncing off of it hard.

Also handheld gyro sounds like a loving nightmare, and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with that!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

splatoon sucks in handheld anyway, the movement is too fast to track enemies well on the small screen

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Playing Splatoon with the gyro sensitivity cranked up to max is :discourse:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
When Doom added gyro controls it was nice for TV play, but not so much handheld. Which is a shame because the whole point of getting Doom on the Switch was to play it in handheld mode. I could just play the PC version if I wanted to play it on a monitor or TV or whatever with keyboard and mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I had such an unfun time with the gyros in BOTW that I don’t give them a chance in anything else. I’ll give them a shot on Splatoon 2, which I think is the only other game I have that uses them.

I gotta say though, they were so much better on the Switch than they were on the Wii U. Ish.