Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

Kindred spirits. My group played Antiquity 7 times the first week/half it came out. Same with Endeavor. Right now we're in an 18xx kick as well. CZ/30/89/46 as well lol. Going to try for 49, 17 and 83 whenever that gets here. I think the most interactive games are the ones I'm more keen on playing. I realize now what the people like Barnes who decried the invasion of the euro point salad and puzzle solitaire games meant. They're great for a while, but they lose interest after a dozen plays compared to the evergreen T&E, el grande, chicago express, die macher, etc.

Yeah interactivity is a huge factor. Like, we played Lorenzo for a bit recently and while it's not exactly a puzzle (there's a decent amount of inherent WP board competition) I don't think it has enough interactivity to last with us. Then again if the game is quick and fun enough (Saint Pete 2nd Ed) people don't seem to mind as much if it's a bit more solitaire. 49! I've got that too, that's probably the next one we'll get to the table. 22, 22CA, 44, 54, and 2038 are group owned as well but those are all going to require everyone setting aside an entire day at least.

FulsomFrank posted:

God help you if you get Mega/Advanced Civ onto the table. It's all people will ask for. It's all you'll ever want.

Ugh I love Civ Games. I play nTTA all the time (online only of course because it's vastly superior).

Jedit posted:

Any two of Windwalker, Opener and Sleeper to let you play five with some faction variety, and the High Priests because once you've played with them you'll find they're practically indispensable.

drat, they're all OOS. Looks like a few of the other ones (Ancients, Tcho-Tcho) are still floating around though.

cenotaph posted:

Well I went ahead and ordered Chinatown, thanks for the advice. Probably going to completely ignore hidden money and just play with chips.

Yep that's what we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Some of the quite basic stuff that most people will get after a couple of games include:

SNIP

The issue with talking about deep Dungeon Petz strategy is that the game is not really all that strategic and makes up for it by being deeply tactical. In FCM I can go into the game with "okay, this time I want to try this or that opening". in Dungeon Petz, it's impossible to do that: you need to see what's available and come up with the best possible way to squeeze points from your pet. The game is unpredictable, which is why I love it: the game itself is as unpredictable as the pets it depicts.

Thanks for posting this. Excellent timing as I just bought Petz from thespaceinvader.
I love Vlaada's games but sometimes find them a bit of a challenge getting the hang of them just by reading the rules. Paul Grogan's rules vid has helped a bit. Now I just need to get a game organised...

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Chill la Chill posted:

I agree with goose's assessment. I really like the game since it has crucial timing elements to the usual area-only considerations of logistics. Neuland is similar. If you're looking for a similar theme, get antiquity. You not only pollute, but people die and graves start piling up and turn off the buildings you so desperately need.

silvergoose posted:

I also agree wi...wait.

Yeah I'm still wavering on just how much I like the game, but the theme was very striking, and I had a good time, and would play again, so that's mostly enough for me!

Thanks! I will take a look into both Neuland and Antiquity.

Morpheus posted:

Oh. Apparently the day after I used it the Gloomhaven helper app got ads put into it. A banner ad at the top, which isn't too intrusive, but between rounds a quick ad plays, which absolutely is.

It's $5.50 to buy out of ads. Which I don't mind paying, as this thing is well-made, but it also means that the networking feature of the app is mostly worthless because there's no way I'm asking my friends to do the same. So it's back to me managing the gamestate all on my own. That sucks :/

If it helps any, my group used to do everyone running the app and managing their own character's HP and exp and statuses, and me managing initiative (since we use the slide ordering instead of inputting numbers) and monster hp and statuses; but we moved and now we board game in the same room my computer's in, so I pull up the app on my phone and manage everything on it myself, but have it connected to the desktop app and the other players can just look at my monitor. You could similarly put it on a TV if you can hook up your computer to it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

T-Bone posted:

Yeah interactivity is a huge factor. Like, we played Lorenzo for a bit recently and while it's not exactly a puzzle (there's a decent amount of inherent WP board competition) I don't think it has enough interactivity to last with us. Then again if the game is quick and fun enough (Saint Pete 2nd Ed) people don't seem to mind as much if it's a bit more solitaire. 49! I've got that too, that's probably the next one we'll get to the table. 22, 22CA, 44, 54, and 2038 are group owned as well but those are all going to require everyone setting aside an entire day at least.

If you like Civ games and enjoy interactivity you will die playing Mega/Advanced civ. I promise you. I sound like an evangelist amongst my friends because I genuinely believe if you like playing games you will enjoy it. The time length scares people and that's fair but every person who has tried it has walked away saying the game felt shorter than some other short-long games they've played like Betrayal or Dead of Winter because you're engaged the whole time and the mechanics are dirt simple.

VVVVV Hold off doing something dumb like buying it unless you've got a leg up on a cheap copy because the non-trademark infringing Western Empires will be coming out around GenCon, I think.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 18, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

FulsomFrank posted:

God help you if you get Mega/Advanced Civ onto the table. It's all people will ask for. It's all you'll ever want.

Civ was the first real boardgame I played with my dad growing up.

Mega Civ is so drat tempting for me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zack Ater posted:

If it helps any, my group used to do everyone running the app and managing their own character's HP and exp and statuses, and me managing initiative (since we use the slide ordering instead of inputting numbers) and monster hp and statuses; but we moved and now we board game in the same room my computer's in, so I pull up the app on my phone and manage everything on it myself, but have it connected to the desktop app and the other players can just look at my monitor. You could similarly put it on a TV if you can hook up your computer to it.

That's what we do (or rather, did the one time we played it) - except it was on laptop. I just like having other players updating their health and initiative (not sure if you're aware, but if clients input initiative, the server's display just reads '??' until everyone's is entered and you start the round). This isn't going to stop me from playing the game or using the app, it's just a feature I liked that we're probably not going to use again.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Another really good negotiation game to check out is Genoa/Traders of Genoa.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

If you like Civ games and enjoy interactivity you will die playing Mega/Advanced civ. I promise you. I sound like an evangelist amongst my friends because I genuinely believe if you like playing games you will enjoy it. The time length scares people and that's fair but every person who has tried it has walked away saying the game felt shorter than some other short-long games they've played like Betrayal or Dead of Winter because you're engaged the whole time and the mechanics are dirt simple.

Mega Civ only lasts 2 hours. There’s a long break for food somewhere in there for some reason but I refuse to believe it’s more than 2h.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

garthoneeye posted:

Another really good negotiation game to check out is Genoa/Traders of Genoa.

I liked it but it also felt like it layered on a bunch of stuff on top that I didn't necessarily want in a trading game. Maybe I'll feel the same about Sidereal once I finally play it (although rules wise it seems like it's just a more *intense* trading game rather than drawing away from the mechanic as Genoa can sometimes do).

Rudiger Dorn is a boss though. He has a lot of interesting designs.

FulsomFrank posted:

plz stop I can't spend more tax money on OOP games

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Morpheus posted:

That's what we do (or rather, did the one time we played it) - except it was on laptop. I just like having other players updating their health and initiative (not sure if you're aware, but if clients input initiative, the server's display just reads '??' until everyone's is entered and you start the round). This isn't going to stop me from playing the game or using the app, it's just a feature I liked that we're probably not going to use again.

Oh my bad, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah, managing everything for everyone is annoying, though you could have then still manage their xp and exp with the dial things that came with the game? I manage health but gently caress no I'm not managing their exp too :v: I know there are some options for initiative, we just found sliding to be simplest and quickest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

Mega Civ only lasts 2 hours. There’s a long break for food somewhere in there for some reason but I refuse to believe it’s more than 2h.

Most of the bloat is in walking between the tables that have the maps and the tables with the tech stuff. You could rack up a lot of steps in a full game, judging by what I saw :)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

T-Bone posted:

plz stop I can't spend more tax money on OOP games

I edited my post above but in case you missed it they're doing a sequel to Mega Civ under a different name called Western Empires that is expected to be released around GenCon or at least shown off. I think the game will be nearly identical except the E/W hard split but I'm curious what changes they're supposedly integrating.

Might as well shill this while there's some attention but if there are any goons in Southern Ontario looking to try Mega Civ out we're running a game at Gryphcon on April 6 at the University of Guelph. You can check it out here (http://www.gryphcon.org/info.php) and sign up if you're interested. We're planning on capping it at 9 but if interest spills over we can crack open the second map if necessary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

drat, they're all OOS. Looks like a few of the other ones (Ancients, Tcho-Tcho) are still floating around though.

Did you look at Petersen Games' own site?

Tcho-Tcho is not a beginner faction, and I don't think Ancients will be either. It doesn't have a GOO, it's the only faction with innate Terrors and it has the only unit that can be permanently killed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just got back from JoCo Cruise and yeah, 2019 is Year of the Roll an Write because all I did was smoke cubans and play On Tour, Welcome To, Railroad Ink, and Ganz Schon Clever. I don't know if On Tour is a particularly good game, it's too simple as an R&W, but it's also the most casual experience and a lot of people appreciated playing it.

Also Cockroach Poker was the hugest hit, maybe the best party game that literally anyone can pick up and requires zero space.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jedit posted:

Did you look at Petersen Games' own site?

They're OOS there too and have been for almost a year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

I just got back from JoCo Cruise and yeah, 2019 is Year of the Roll an Write because all I did was smoke cubans and play On Tour, Welcome To, Railroad Ink, and Ganz Schon Clever. I don't know if On Tour is a particularly good game, it's too simple as an R&W, but it's also the most casual experience and a lot of people appreciated playing it.

Also Cockroach Poker was the hugest hit, maybe the best party game that literally anyone can pick up and requires zero space.

Cockroach poker is really good yeah.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man you guys have efficient groups if you get to play Antiquity 7x in a week and a half. I normally do 2 meets up a week (sameish people, but one at an event space and the other at my house) and we basically do 1 game per meetup. I wish I could get through more games.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I would like to chime in to Root chat to say that I did buy the $150 level of the KS. I've played the game enough times, and have enjoyed it and the politicking and take-thats and strategy, that I want to own it for myself and have it around if the other person that owns it in my group doesn't bring it. The winter board is also the correct way to play the game.

I also played Brass: Birmingham this weekend, and by God I want to play it again and a few more times after that. It's really easy to pick up and the game flows really well. We had a lot of blocking occurring in my game, and I ended up losing by 20 points when it appeared that I was in the lead for most of the game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I still haven't managed to get Brass Birmingham. After the second play I went into the second age ahead on points and income, and in first player, but my only second level building was not next door to a port, but was in a town with a coal mine - so I was in a good position to spread out from there, if I could build that coal mine, which first player would guarantee, as if I didn't draw right I could use wilds.

Then someone else built using the only other copy of that city card in the game.

And I was basically completely screwed because every single possible plan I had involved having coal and not connecting to ports.

I was so close.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I still haven't managed to get Brass Birmingham. After the second play I went into the second age ahead on points and income, and in first player, but my only second level building was not next door to a port, but was in a town with a coal mine - so I was in a good position to spread out from there, if I could build that coal mine, which first player would guarantee, as if I didn't draw right I could use wilds.

Then someone else built using the only other copy of that city card in the game.

And I was basically completely screwed because every single possible plan I had involved having coal and not connecting to ports.

I was so close.

There's your mistake. You should always be able to have several Level II buildings going into the Rail Era, even if some of them aren't flipped, but if for some reason you can't then you should aim to have none so you can restart your network anywhere on the map.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

There's your mistake. You should always be able to have several Level II buildings going into the Rail Era, even if some of them aren't flipped, but if for some reason you can't then you should aim to have none so you can restart your network anywhere on the map.

Mm, if I'd known I was only going to have the one AND not be able to build the coal I would have got more or not placed the one, but, you know, poo poo happens.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Mm, if I'd known I was only going to have the one AND not be able to build the coal I would have got more or not placed the one, but, you know, poo poo happens.

Sure. But from your description of the situation I can deduce several other things about what you did. For example, you had lots of income but no level II industry to speak of, so I'm fairly sure you ignored develop actions in favour of building and flipping level Is. I would say this is nearly always the wrong play - building Coal II and Iron II is a gain of 4 income steps and probably 10 VP over building the level Is at a cost of one action and as little as £4. The exception is that if other players develop first then if cards permit I'd open with a canal to the external market followed by taking a loan then building Iron I for an immediate flip on turn 2.

Ultimately, the most important thing to remember is that 70-80% of your VPs are scored in the Rail era. The guy who spends the Canal era trying to score points and raise income will lose most of the time, as you did. The guy who sets up his scoring opportunities and takes loans so he can go into the Rail era with a big wallet and small income will win more often than not.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Why won't my cubes die in JoCo. 12 cash in hand ready to retire into the House of Lords but nope. Cole giveth, Cole taketh away.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

djfooboo posted:

The CMON game I want to try without buying is Rum and Bones. Has any goon got a quick and dirty review? I love pirate things and the minis looked rad as F.

Great fun, trashy dice chucker. Buy second tide or get the upgrade pack for the first set though; makes the game much shorter and better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

Sure. But from your description of the situation I can deduce several other things about what you did. For example, you had lots of income but no level II industry to speak of, so I'm fairly sure you ignored develop actions in favour of building and flipping level Is. I would say this is nearly always the wrong play - building Coal II and Iron II is a gain of 4 income steps and probably 10 VP over building the level Is at a cost of one action and as little as £4. The exception is that if other players develop first then if cards permit I'd open with a canal to the external market followed by taking a loan then building Iron I for an immediate flip on turn 2.

Ultimately, the most important thing to remember is that 70-80% of your VPs are scored in the Rail era. The guy who spends the Canal era trying to score points and raise income will lose most of the time, as you did. The guy who sets up his scoring opportunities and takes loans so he can go into the Rail era with a big wallet and small income will win more often than not.

Yeah that all seems fair I'll have to try to get some more 2s out next time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Played Eric Lang's Victorian Masterminds at the meetup. It's a light worker placement game where you are trying to build a doomsday weapon, capture landmarks, and complete various objectives.

The game felt simultaneously over- and under-produced. While the landmarks are quite decent minis and the workers are plastic gears the size of a poker chip the components for the doomsday machines are the teensiest widdle bits of cardboard I've seen in a game. And while the landmarks are nice they are not much more than prettier versions of the already-existing victory point tokens.

The worker placement aspect involves taking the top worker from your stack and placing it onto a stack on a location. Each worker has a different ability, and since you have no choice in which worker you are placing you also have less choice in where you place them (since some combos are clearly useless). When the location stacks get high enough each player in the stack gets the benefit from the location and from their worker.

One of the workers' special abilities is to sabotage another player lower in the stack. This is a horrible take-that mechanic. The person playing it is essentially forced to screw someone over (since you have to play each worker before refreshing your stack), and only way to avoid the attack is to be the first player in the stack since for any other position there's a risk you'll be hosed. There's limited control on either end of it.

On the bright side I did play Arboretum and Azul as well.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 19, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

oopsie wrong thread

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Buuut this is a pretty helpful newish NT video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_WKoMLwKHU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

dishwasherlove posted:

Why won't my cubes die in JoCo. 12 cash in hand ready to retire into the House of Lords but nope. Cole giveth, Cole taketh away.

Tying the only way of getting VP to an essentially unmitagatable dice roll is what marks John's Company an experience generator (as opposed to a game). Sure, there are laws which fiddle things a bit, but for how important retirement is, it's silly how it's entirely out of player's hands.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There is an alternate rule for modifying the rolls somewhere on BGG. Its semi endorsed by Cole in that he thinks the idea is wrong but if you must here's how

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

StashAugustine posted:

There is an alternate rule for modifying the rolls somewhere on BGG. Its semi endorsed by Cole in that he thinks the idea is wrong but if you must here's how

It’s a two-part low-luck variant.

1.) If you roll a Check action at strength 4, it automatically succeeds.

2.) During the Attrition Phase, for every Attrition roll your family members fail, take a black disc as a “Seniority Disc”. You may use Seniority Discs to increase the value of future Attrition Rolls. Seniority discs may also be traded between players.

e: The intention of the rules as written is that you can mitigate bad luck on Attrition by just getting more of your family cubes into the Company, but that’s something that takes multiple turns to set up.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 19, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mr. Squishy posted:

Tying the only way of getting VP to an essentially unmitagatable dice roll is what marks John's Company an experience generator (as opposed to a game). Sure, there are laws which fiddle things a bit, but for how important retirement is, it's silly how it's entirely out of player's hands.

The idea behind the roll is both a thematic uncertainty and a desire to disengage with the infrastructure->VP curve that you see in practically every Euro that has an engine or tableau. The uncertainty disrupts it and there’s some designer diaries and posts on BGG about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was surprised how much I liked Photosynthesis, and nowhere did I read from anyone that reviewed/played the game stress that it's a luckless strategic game which would've got me to buy it instantly. I don't think I'll buy it because I discovered it way too late with my shelf being more rounded out in this area, and I can also see how people would shy away from it because I cannot imagine sitting it down in front of an AP prone player.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I disliked Photosynthesis quite a lot. It has a bunch of systems added to the game that don't really improve the formula that much, and overall the actual gameplay felt too plodding and methodical. I was thoroughly bored during the entire experience.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

al-azad posted:

I was surprised how much I liked Photosynthesis, and nowhere did I read from anyone that reviewed/played the game stress that it's a luckless strategic game which would've got me to buy it instantly. I don't think I'll buy it because I discovered it way too late with my shelf being more rounded out in this area, and I can also see how people would shy away from it because I cannot imagine sitting it down in front of an AP prone player.

You dodged a bullet. Photosynthesis is effectively solved and the first player has a massive and insurmountable advantage.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

You dodged a bullet. Photosynthesis is effectively solved and the first player has a massive and insurmountable advantage.

I would be interested in reading something about this as I found the last player had the first opportunity to camp the central space forever.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

The guy who spends the Canal era trying to score points and raise income will lose most of the time, as you did. The guy who sets up his scoring opportunities and takes loans so he can go into the Rail era with a big wallet and small income will win more often than not.

I agree with everything Jedit said, but this is the heart of it. Loans are almost always better than income throughout the game. I've played dozens of times and have still never seen an income tie breaker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

I agree with everything Jedit said, but this is the heart of it. Loans are almost always better than income throughout the game. I've played dozens of times and have still never seen an income tie breaker.

With the rider that I didn't mention, which is that in the Rail era you are guaranteed to get at least as much money and generally more from loans than you would from the income. £30 per loan at a cost of £3/turn breaks even on Rail 1 and is pure profit from then on out, all you lose is the action.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
All you people naysaying about JoCo retirement rolls aren't doing enough strategic bankrupting/presidency closures when you can simply laugh away the meager scandal fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
All you people talking about it remind me that I held off buying it and now it haunts me to this day.