Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
fantastic soundtrack though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I watched Harold & Maude. It's a good movie, but it did not do it for me at all. Which is odd because I'm a massive Wes Anderson fan. I think it's because of the specific brands of quirky the titular characters were. When Harold said he liked going to funerals I just thought, "Whoa, look at Tyler Durden Jr. over here!" And elderly people losing the ability to drive isn't a joke, people fuckin die because of that. Maude's carefree car stealing ways directly endanger everyone else on the road. What really killed it for me was how poorly the movie and Harold treat his three dates. They're presented as being boring or inconsequential people, and it's good fun when Harold fucks with them. They are there to date Harold, a guy who has absolutely nothing to recommend himself. He's just a sadboy failson, one of those women had a really important job, another one had an actual ambition and goal. They were all way too good for him. Hey Harold, maybe your time with the therapist would go better if you actually ever said anything to him. If living with your mom is so stifling, maybe get a job and move out of the house. I get that she doesn't show you the love you need, maybe if you actually talked to her or did literally anything other than spend the past several years staging faked suicides you could spark change in your relationship with you. Thank loving god an elderly lady dropped out of the sky to drag you kicking and screaming out of your sadboy mansion life, and then die at just the right point for your character development.

Man, gently caress Harold.

They are there to date Harold's mother.

Harold's mom fills out the paperwork based on her interests and what she thinks is an ideal date for Harold. It's also a bougie dating service, so there's a strong chance most of the girls are there knowing that Harold's rich. It's also based on Harold's mom trying to get him to date to get rid of him. Or to "fix" him without actually doing anything.

And really, only two of the dates go badly. The third date is into the seppuku performance and Harold's acting ability.

In a way, Harold isn't actually loving with them. He is showing them who he actually is--a morbid kid with a sick sense of performative humor. That they don't handle it well is expected, but Harold's still being honest about who he is.

Also, he's already in a relationship with Maude at this time, for at least two of the dates anyway.

There's a lot of implications to Harold's actions. He didn't get to pick his therapist, his mother did, based on her ideas, not Harold. Not every therapist works for every person, there must be a bond there. Harold is willing to open up to Maude, because she listens and cares for him. He even tells her that the first time he ever felt like his mother actually cared about him is when she thought he died in the lab explosion at school. His mother is bougie, self-absorbed, and lives in her own bubble. "Oh, my son feels disaffected with the world? Let me get him a date. Oh that didn't work? Well I guess the army is the only other choice." She's a huge bitch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I watched Harold & Maude. It's a good movie, but it did not do it for me at all. Which is odd because I'm a massive Wes Anderson fan. I think it's because of the specific brands of quirky the titular characters were. When Harold said he liked going to funerals I just thought, "Whoa, look at Tyler Durden Jr. over here!" And elderly people losing the ability to drive isn't a joke, people fuckin die because of that. Maude's carefree car stealing ways directly endanger everyone else on the road. What really killed it for me was how poorly the movie and Harold treat his three dates. They're presented as being boring or inconsequential people, and it's good fun when Harold fucks with them. They are there to date Harold, a guy who has absolutely nothing to recommend himself. He's just a sadboy failson, one of those women had a really important job, another one had an actual ambition and goal. They were all way too good for him. Hey Harold, maybe your time with the therapist would go better if you actually ever said anything to him. If living with your mom is so stifling, maybe get a job and move out of the house. I get that she doesn't show you the love you need, maybe if you actually talked to her or did literally anything other than spend the past several years staging faked suicides you could spark change in your relationship with you. Thank loving god an elderly lady dropped out of the sky to drag you kicking and screaming out of your sadboy mansion life, and then die at just the right point for your character development.

Man, gently caress Harold.

Harold & Maude and Being There do absolutely nothing for me but The Last Detail is one of my favorite movies. I get to go see it on the big screen on my birthday this year and i'm super excited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/HoIdMyBeaker/status/1087204017002897408?s=19

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Gripweed posted:

And elderly people losing the ability to drive isn't a joke, people fuckin die because of that. Maude's carefree car stealing ways directly endanger everyone else on the road.

Oh no.

I have to say, I'm also not a huge fan of Harold & Maude despite loving most of Wes Anderson's stuff too. I can't really figure out if it's the movie itself I don't like, or if it's a victim of built up expectations over the years. I had so many people telling me how great Harold & Maude is and how much I'd love it and it really did seem like the sort of thing I'd like and then when I finally watched it I was just like "It was ok I guess." It's been a few years, maybe I'll give it another try.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I've seen Harold and Maude twice, including once in the theater, and both times I just hated it. The Last Detail on the other hand is a masterpiece.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had no idea that Fredrich Wertham was a close friend and confidant of Richard Wright. There's an odd couple for ya.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm sad to report that the new Gesaffelstein album is meh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought Harold & Maude was really good when I first saw it, but on subsequent viewings, it's earned my love.

I don't think the Wes Anderson comparisons are fair. Sure, Anderson's seen H&M, and I'm sure he loves it and it influenced him, but the cinematography, color palette, tone, rhythm, etc. are all distinctly different than Anderson's output. "Quirky morbid characters in a dark story played light" isn't unique to Harold & Maude or Anderson. I see more things "stolen" from Jacques Tati, for instance, in Anderson's work than Harold & Maude.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I stan Nintendo a lot, but they have a good track record with DLC. The Zelda dlc was great.

And they supported updates for Animal Crossing New Leaf for years after it came out and never charged a dime.

Amiibos are pretty hosed up imo

anyway I'm gonna watch some fuckin italian movies, what's the good poo poo there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXz3OlFwZA

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr2e6j4qF7w

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Just got around to this. Great stuff!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'm incredulous, but I want it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Franchescanado posted:

They are there to date Harold's mother.

Harold's mom fills out the paperwork based on her interests and what she thinks is an ideal date for Harold. It's also a bougie dating service, so there's a strong chance most of the girls are there knowing that Harold's rich. It's also based on Harold's mom trying to get him to date to get rid of him. Or to "fix" him without actually doing anything.

And really, only two of the dates go badly. The third date is into the seppuku performance and Harold's acting ability.

In a way, Harold isn't actually loving with them. He is showing them who he actually is--a morbid kid with a sick sense of performative humor. That they don't handle it well is expected, but Harold's still being honest about who he is.

Also, he's already in a relationship with Maude at this time, for at least two of the dates anyway.

There's a lot of implications to Harold's actions. He didn't get to pick his therapist, his mother did, based on her ideas, not Harold. Not every therapist works for every person, there must be a bond there. Harold is willing to open up to Maude, because she listens and cares for him. He even tells her that the first time he ever felt like his mother actually cared about him is when she thought he died in the lab explosion at school. His mother is bougie, self-absorbed, and lives in her own bubble. "Oh, my son feels disaffected with the world? Let me get him a date. Oh that didn't work? Well I guess the army is the only other choice." She's a huge bitch.

But Harold doesn't put any effort at all into improving his relationships. He doesn't try to work with a therapist, or ask for a new therapist, he just shuts down completely. He doesn't try to talk to his mother, he just shuts down or childishly acts out. I guess you're right that Harold doing his suicide thing to his dates is showing them who he really is, a child who just acts out because he's incapable of communicating with any human being who isn't willing to be his manic pixie dream girl.

Yeah, his mom sucks at being a mom and the dates and therapist probably aren't right for him. But that doesn't excuse his complete unwillingness to even try. The only person he's willing to try to connect with is a woman whose life exists purely of zany consequence-free antics he is always invited to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

But Harold doesn't put any effort at all into improving his relationships. He doesn't try to work with a therapist, or ask for a new therapist, he just shuts down completely. He doesn't try to talk to his mother, he just shuts down or childishly acts out. I guess you're right that Harold doing his suicide thing to his dates is showing them who he really is, a child who just acts out because he's incapable of communicating with any human being who isn't willing to be his manic pixie dream girl.

Yeah, his mom sucks at being a mom and the dates and therapist probably aren't right for him. But that doesn't excuse his complete unwillingness to even try. The only person he's willing to try to connect with is a woman whose life exists purely of zany consequence-free antics he is always invited to.

He's also only 18 years old, and developmentally stunted, despite his intelligence.

Also, they're not Harold's relationships. They are given to him or chosen for him. He doesn't get to decide. His mother does. Consider that the only relationship he's willing to embrace is one chosen with his own agency. He isn't forced to hang out with Maude, he is fascinated with her and chooses to follow along. She is also more genuinely vibrant and interesting than the dates, having experienced a full life full of trial and tribulation. She also supports him, believes in him, and wants to show him he has the freedom to do what he wants.

Harold has zero control over anything in his life. He buys the hearse he wants, and his mom destroys it with subterfuge and buys a car that she wants. Harold then modifies the car to fit his interests--another hearse (which eventually he gets rid of it because it is a symbol of his pre-Maude life). A major source of introverted depression, withdrawing into yourself, for many people is feeling like they have zero control of their life. Harold is still very much a teenager with nary an ambition, because he's never been allowed ambition. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he's happy or isn't stuck.

What you're asking is for Harold to stop trying to be unique and to just fit within the mold that everyone is forcing him into. That's the opposite of the movie's core--for Harold to find his own agency through Maude, the first person to love him unconditionally and show him that there is joy in life.

Also, you're condemning Maude for 1) enjoying life despite societal restrictions, 2) believing that life and love are worth living even after having survived the Holocaust, 3) not being concerned about consequences when she has already decided when and how she is going to die. No poo poo she doesn't worry about her antics, she's not long for the earth, through her own control and volition.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I'm not condemning Maude as a person. Outside of the reckless driving thing, that shows a clear lack of concern for the safety of others. Maude is a fictional character with a role in the fictional story of Harold. And that role is unarguably the correctly maligned Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Harold only "chooses to follow along" after Maude forces him to by stealing his car. She forces her way into his life, makes him happy with zany crimes and sex, and then kills herself at just the right moment for Harold to have the freedom he has gained through his experiences with her but not be restrained by an actual romantic relationship.

Maude loves him unconditionally because she exists to do so. She frees Harold from his oppressive home life and then frees him from commitment by dying. That is her role in the story

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I know this is gonna be an extremely hot take, but I'm gonna stand by it

I like the remake, Don Jon, better than the original Harold and Maude.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1108059632008757248

oh for sure dude

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Harold and Maude takes a viewing or two. I didn’t like it all the first time, but loved it the second. It’s absolutely a surrealistic take, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wasn't Facebook giving them an insane amount personal information?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Harold and Maude takes a viewing or two. I didn’t like it all the first time, but loved it the second. It’s absolutely a surrealistic take, though.

I sincerely think it gets funnier with each viewing.

It's my best friend's fiance's favorite movie, and so we all watched it together recently. I couldn't stop smiling, it's just a charming, dreamy little movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For what it's worth, I'm openly pan and non-binary and got the Sonnie's Edge-as-E1 order. I think it's legit random, since people have been speculating that one as the straight-dude order.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For what it's worth, I'm openly pan and non-binary and got the Sonnie's Edge-as-E1 order. I think it's legit random, since people have been speculating that one as the straight-dude order.

That is also my E1... :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/dylmdav/status/1107707042243006465

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Only Kurt Russell could kill the greatest evil this world had ever known.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
A Breathless/Pretty Fly For A White Guy AMV: funny or just funny to me?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

(worlds most exhausted jerk off motion)

Seriously I have no idea what a reordering on this metric would look like. I liked BL&R a lot more than others, but it’s pretty drat heteronormative.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if Netflix didn't have an algorithm that was trying to guess your sexuality based on the content you watch.

In general, I mean, not specifically related to this show.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Samuel Clemens posted:

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if Netflix didn't have an algorithm that was trying to guess your sexuality based on the content you watch.

They do guess your identity to give you thumbnails tailored to you. There was an example of a Kristen Bell/Kelsey Grammer comedy where the thumbnail would instead show a Black couple who were only in the movie for roughly 10 minutes if Netflix thought you were Black.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why people assume any company in the year 2019 is obligated to tell the truth on any public forum.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Like 15-20 years ago people already assumed TiVo was guessing sexuality. Not sure why we’d think Netflix isn’t.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
okay, tonight's movie, what is it?

La Bete Humaine (1938) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SJVXOSwGE

Crisis (1946) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ptUt-VdAw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Like 15-20 years ago people already assumed TiVo was guessing sexuality. Not sure why we’d think Netflix isn’t.

Plus Netflix was reading all your Facebook messages, and a good chunk of people use Facebook to the exclusion of normal texting or email.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tonight I'm seeing The World Before Your Feet. I've heard good things!

K. Waste posted:

okay, tonight's movie, what is it?

La Bete Humaine (1938) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SJVXOSwGE

Crisis (1946) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ptUt-VdAw

I just want you to know that I started (and enjoyed!) the Commissar, but wasn't able to finish it because company came over. I plan to finish it and write up some thoughts this weekend.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

I just want you to know that I started (and enjoyed!) the Commissar, but wasn't able to finish it because company came over. I plan to finish it and write up some thoughts this weekend.

Excellent <air guitar solo>

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm going to a screening of Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy tonight with Harmony Korine in attendance. I can't wait! :dance:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The upside of speaking a tiny dying language is that none of my devices or apps understand if and thus can't spy on me as efficiently

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

I'm going to a screening of Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy tonight with Harmony Korine in attendance. I can't wait! :dance:

Oh I am so loving jealous dude...

Got a question for him?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Dude! Have an awesome time! That sounds fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Ask him how much of McCaunaughey’s wardrobe from The Beach Bum was his own