Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ohhhh hidden feature

Streaming 2-3 songs as the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

*dies in game, watches 30 second ad tailored to me based on what ads i looked at the longest over the past week, presses continue*

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

SyRauk posted:

It probably hides a bunch of equipment like maybe a teleprompter?

Figured as much, but it was waaaaaaaaaaaay to the (stage)left of the screen.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

American McGay posted:

Google just announced a gaming platform with no games. Holy poo poo. This is the whole presentation.

This is how most companies do their first game console presentation. Do you not remember the original Xbox reveal?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So does California not have, like, data caps on their residential internet? Because I'm one state over and all the internet providers here have a 1TB data cap, and that seems like it would be a problem.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Video Games

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, we are that much closer to Google, Amazon, and Disney owning everything and games as we know it being a streaming service. Never own anything again.

In all seriousness, this has some interesting implications for the future of consoles and whatnot.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

SyRauk posted:

Yep, Daydream is dead.

i work across the hall from a daydream team and i can assert that they are still breathing

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

pixaal posted:

This is how most companies do their first game console presentation. Do you not remember the original Xbox reveal?

Yeah but this wasn't supposed to be just an ordinary console presentation. This was supposed to shift paradigms, break barriers and move marsupials.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

where

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cabbit posted:

So does California not have, like, data caps on their residential internet? Because I'm one state over and all the internet providers here have a 1TB data cap, and that seems like it would be a problem.

We do but it depends on provider. They throttle everything if you push it though.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
No datacaps in LA at least. I'm surprised they do datacaps anywhere in the country. Isn't that just third world crap?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

We do but it depends on provider. They throttle everything if you push it though.

Yeah they don't throttle here, they just start charging you a shitload of money as soon as you go over 1TB. Even if you're on 1gig internet they'll just start running a tab for you.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

*launches stadia on second weekend of the month, plays game in 320p because bandwidth is throttled, stadia uses the leftover power to read my emails.*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Video Games

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

EpicNemesis posted:

No datacaps in LA at least. I'm surprised they do datacaps anywhere in the country. Isn't that just third world crap?

:lol:

Welcome to America

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

EpicNemesis posted:

Third world countries struggle with infrastructure problems, not infrastructure problems AND opportunistic telecoms who want to squeeze people for cell phone data rates

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I mean right off the bat i'm pretty reluctant to be on board with Stadia. The Assassin's Creed Odyssey beta test last year proves their claims of 4K/60fps gameplay is a lie because the game wasn't able to do that at all. Getting the internet connection to do just the 1080p/30fps that Odyssey required was difficult. This service pretty much requires a fiber optic line in the same city as a Google data center.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna take a guess and say maybe Google will launch a nationwide internet service with no caps or throttles. Maybe package it with Stativia as a bundle.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm gonna take a guess and say maybe Google will launch a nationwide internet service with no caps or throttles. Maybe package it with Stativia as a bundle.

You mean like Google Fiber? That thing they've already cancelled?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

lol no. They don't even do Google Fiber anymore cause they got BTFO by all the big boys.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm gonna take a guess and say maybe Google will launch a nationwide internet service with no caps or throttles.

I hate myself for actually wanting this. gently caress Comcast though.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Oh good another google hardware / software combo that will be abandoned in a year or two.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Oh like all the dead Google fiber projects would be the best starting point

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
CANCELED TO BE RE-BRANDED AT STADIA FIBER

:thunk:

calling it now

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EpicNemesis posted:

Nope most fly over stats still do data caps. We hired someone who had 2 options for internet dial up and satellite with a 1GB cap. For some reason we still hired them when they failed the requirement list of "stable high speed internet" they were expecting to still use their dial up modem. We pay for their extra data too.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Without announcements of any new or innovative games, or even a hint of what the business model is (monthly subscription? Ad supported? Just buying games as normal but streaming them?). The whole thing was pretty much nothing. Basically if it works, maybe it will be good, but youve shown me nothing that convinces me it will work.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 19, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this is a cool service that lets anyone* play any game* anywhere* that scales infinitely* and let's you play with thousands of other people with zero latency*

*some restrictions may apply

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Did they say one word about how they're going to sell this? Was there any indication if it was going to be subscription-based or a la carte? Before today I had assumed it'd be a subscription, but they seem a loooong way away from having anything close to a compelling library. The only two games I saw mentioned here or on twitter were multiplats, including one that's already been out for months. Did I miss some other big news in the stream or was there really that little of substance that was talked about?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like how Disney pulled all their shows off of netflix to put on their future streaming service!

:siren: WAKE UP SHEEPLE :siren:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

Did they say one word about how they're going to sell this? Was there any indication if it was going to be subscription-based or a la carte? Before today I had assumed it'd be a subscription, but they seem a loooong way away from having anything close to a compelling library. The only two games I saw mentioned here or on twitter were multiplats, including one that's already been out for months. Did I miss some other big news in the stream or was there really that little of substance that was talked about?

:ssh:

e: I assume it will be like onlive where you pay a sub(maybe even a premier sub version that won't have any ads :v:) then pay to rent or buy games.

Because gently caress you.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh like all the dead Google fiber projects would be the best starting point

Hold on, let me just check my Google Inbox and see if I've got any emails about Google Fiber coming to my lo-- oh turns out they just killed the best email client I've ever used to tear out one small piece for use in Gmail, well shucks.

gently caress Google, even if this is successful there's like a 40% chance they kill it just because.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

pixaal posted:

Nope most fly over stats still do data caps. We hired someone who had 2 options for internet dial up and satellite with a 1GB cap. For some reason we still hired them when they failed the requirement list of "stable high speed internet" they were expecting to still use their dial up modem. We pay for their extra data too.

Flyover, gently caress, I'm in fuckin' Nevada and they do caps. And of course they do-- high speed internet is a collection of regional monopolies, why wouldn't they put the boots to the consumer any chance they get.

There is one source for broadband here, and it's the cable company. They have no incentive to improve anything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Glumslinger posted:

You mean like Google Fiber? That thing they've already cancelled?
Lol I didn't know this and I assumed they might expand Google Fiber to make the Stadia actually viable.

RIP Stadia 2019-2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had to step away halfway through. Did they announce a release date, pricing, exclusives, anything?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bardeh posted:

I had to step away halfway through. Did they announce a release date, pricing, exclusives, anything?
Jade Raymond is the head of their first party Google Games company, otherwise no they didn't show anything you asked about.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Bardeh posted:

"Coming in 2019" is all that we got

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol:

Welcome to America

Pretty sure a bunch of European countries had caps way before America did.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

They just had a new announcement. They are canceling Stadia, rebranding to Stadia 2.0, and combining it with Google Photos Plus, and they lost half their partnerships. It's now a product where you can only post screenshots of EA games and old Warcraft 3 replays. And the controller shut down because it needed an update but the manufacturer was bought by China and absorbed into Huawei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG06H7IQ9Aw
DF weighs in.