Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

indigi posted:

the amount of baggage carried by this idea implies pokemon have human-equivalent (or so near that any difference is essentially meaningless) intelligence

I think it's been consistently shown that they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well that makes the pokemon universe much more of a nightmarish hellscape than I'd previously thought

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

indigi posted:

well that makes the pokemon universe much more of a nightmarish hellscape than I'd previously thought

A Pokemon battle is essentially a cock fight

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

indigi posted:

the amount of baggage carried by this idea implies pokemon have human-equivalent (or so near that any difference is essentially meaningless) intelligence

This isn't the only thing that implies that. Actually, Alakazam has more-than-human intelligence, if you go by the Pokedex.

In general the games tend to portray Pokemon as more like trained animals, while the anime tends to portray them as essentially animal-shaped, fight-loving people who sometimes let humans boss them around in return for food, transportation, and opportunities to fight. Neither is totally consistent about this, though.

The idea of Pokemon having all having human-like intelligence does raise some disturbing implications, given the fairly frequent references to Pokemon eating other Pokemon and occasional references to humans eating Pokemon. Though the idea of only some of them having human-like intelligence is worse in a way; wouldn't that make a lot of Pokemon breeding essentially bestiality?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 19, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

A Pokemon battle is essentially a cock fight
A Pokemon battle is forcing fully sentient, intelligent beings you pressed into slavery to fight until at least one literally cannot move anymore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

indigi posted:

Pokemon have always been roughly human-level intelligent. Most of the main series shows off the fact that they're able to completely understand human speech, N's ability to communicate with them shows they have self-awareness and the ability to vocalize complex thoughts even if humans largely don't understand them and there are several instances like the Dittos pulling an Invasion of the Body Snatchers in USUM, or totem Mimikyu's Pikachu shrine and ability to speak or any number of other disturbing sidequests that distinctly point to the fact that Pokemon should probably all be considered human-level.

and then of course they also have restaurants where you eat them.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

The idea of Pokemon having all having human-like intelligence does raise some disturbing implications, given the fairly frequent references to Pokemon eating other Pokemon and occasional references to humans eating Pokemon. Though the idea of only some of them having human-like intelligence is worse in a way; wouldn't that make a lot of Pokemon breeding essentially bestiality?

I bred a trash bag with a key ring. WE'RE WELL PAST THAT.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Whalley posted:

A Pokemon battle is forcing fully sentient, intelligent beings you pressed into slavery to fight until at least one literally cannot move anymore.

Nonsense. We're constantly told Pokemon really, really like beating the poo poo out of each other. There's no forcing, Pokemon are horribly blood-lusty abominations that only find pleasure in the slaughter of their own kind, and love the idea of being helped by humans so they can refine and excel in their murderous ways.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nonsense. We're constantly told Pokemon really, really like beating the poo poo out of each other. There's no forcing, Pokemon are horribly blood-lusty abominations that only find pleasure in the slaughter of their own kind, and love the idea of being helped by humans so they can refine and excel in their murderous ways.

even if the pokemon like doing it, that still means humans are complicit in the torture and murder of other sentients

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

indigi posted:

even if the pokemon like doing it, that still means humans are complicit in the torture and murder of other sentients

Pokemon trained by humans don't kill people or other Pokemon by and large. There's like two people total who attempt to break this taboo in the games and they both get put down basically as soon as they try it.

At least in the modern era. All bets are off if you start thinking about the massive world wars and fantasy nukes people used to use in the Pokemon world.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zore posted:

Pokemon trained by humans don't kill people or other Pokemon by and large.

At least not in the modern era. All bets are off if you start thinking about the massive world wars and fantasy nukes people used to use in the Pokemon world.

they eat pokemon though, and I don't recall coming across any hunters or trappers that didn't use pokemon in the games

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

indigi posted:

I mean, have you met humans?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

I mean, have you met humans?

pretty sure there isn't a publicly-subsidized worldwide support network for people who want to go around beating the poo poo out of vagrants and forcing them to have bumfights

e: instead of humans I should have said "humanity"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I should note that the anime, which tends to portray Pokemon more anthropomorphically, alludes Pokemon eating Pokemon or humans eating Pokemon less often than the games, and there are some references (in both the anime and the games) to Pokemon and humans eating non-Pokemon animals...but also a few creator statements to the effect that non-Pokemon animals don't exist in the Pokemon world. Neither the anime nor the games is particularly big on internal consistency.

Also, if you take Sinnoh Folk Tales literally, then some Water-type Pokemon can grow back from bones after the meat is eaten.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 19, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm more bothered by the inconsistencies involved with finding and obtaining Pokémon. The protagonists can do a number of things like mercilessly beat up or capture entire hordes of certain Pokémon to find one individual who has what amounts to a genetic mutation (shiny hunting). But if a group like Team Rocket does the same thing, its suddenly a criminal activity (poaching).

Not to mention how there seems to be endless numbers of supposedly rare Pokémon. Every small patch of grass somehow contains millions and millions of Pokémon.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 19, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Magcargos are hotter than the son. Just existing to close around it should lead to burning level death.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I'm more bothered by the inconsistencies involved with finding and obtaining Pokémon. The protagonists can do a number of things like mercilessly beat up or capture entire hordes of certain Pokémon to find one individual who has what amounts to a genetic mutation (shiny hunting). But if a group like Team Rocket does the same thing, its suddenly a criminal activity (poaching).

I see this as more a games vs. anime difference than anything. I don't remember Team Rocket ever being accused of "poaching" in the games, and even in the anime, "poaching" tends to involve things like capturing Pokemon in specific areas where it's prohibited or fighting wild Pokemon with mechs instead of your own Pokemon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zuzie posted:

Not to mention how there seems to be endless numbers of supposedly rare Pokémon. Every small patch of grass somehow contains millions and millions of Pokémon.

I do have to wonder how one gets their Trainer ID card, like does everyone get one when they turn Pokemon journey age? Or is it only the rich kids with single moms?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Magcargos are hotter than the son. Just existing to close around it should lead to burning level death.

The Pokedex is written by a 10 year old

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.amazon.com/Slaking-Giant-Ground-Monstertantra-Erotica-ebook/dp/B00L4JWZQS

:abrathink:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

imagine a 10 year old shooting you with a tranq dart and when you wake up you find out they're now your direct supervisor at work

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

you: The logical inconsistencies and implications of Pokemon are existentially terrifying.
me: pokemon are my friends and they enjoy pats and treats

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Uhhhhhh.....how exactly did you find this?

Dad Jokes posted:

you: The logical inconsistencies and implications of Pokemon are existentially terrifying.

Why not both tho?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I was looking up books on prehistoric giant sloths

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dad Jokes posted:

:hai:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Shiny hunting is in fact a crime and if you partake in it you are worse than Team Rocket imo.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Iron Crowned posted:

I do have to wonder how one gets their Trainer ID card, like does everyone get one when they turn Pokemon journey age? Or is it only the rich kids with single moms?

It's kind of implied that only a select few people actually get a starter Pokémon as their first Pokémon. Most people seem to get whatever can be found locally (either someone catches something for them or they find it themselves). How one arranges to get a starter isn't known at all and why the local professor only has those three Pokémon to choose from also isn't explained. Heck, the biggest reason why Ash even has a Pikachu in the first place was that he was unlucky enough to not be on time and obtain one of the three standard starters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

It's kind of implied that only a select few people actually get a starter Pokémon as their first Pokémon. Most people seem to get whatever can be found locally (either someone catches something for them or they find it themselves). How one arranges to get a starter isn't known at all and why the local professor only has those three Pokémon to choose from also isn't explained. Heck, the biggest reason why Ash even has a Pikachu in the first place was that he was unlucky enough to not be on time and obtain one of the three standard starters.

This is actually explained in the anime, believe it or not. In Hoenn, Ash and May meet a guy who raises Mudkip to Level 5 so they can be given away as starters (he doesn't literally say "Level 5," but he specifically mentions that part of his job is ensuring that the Mudkip are all the same level). They also meet a Nurse Joy in Slateport whose duties include giving away the standard Hoenn starters to people who live too far from Littleroot Town to get them from Elm. In the same episode as the Slateport Nurse Joy, Brock reveals that Flint gave him Onix as his starter. Max imagines Norman giving him a Slakoth as his starter and is less than thrilled by the prospect. (Come to think of it, it would be neat if the Emerald remake is called Let's Go Slakoth and begins with the player getting a Slakoth from Norman that can't evolve into Vigoroth but eventually turns Truant into a advantage by learning Skill Swap.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 19, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's an episode of the anime where the pokemon are separated from their trainers and it's shown with subtitles that they can all communicate as fluently and eloquently as Meowth does. Their constant name-saying is more like what Groot does; we just don't get it.
I like that ep because at some point I think Meowth tries to start a fight and the others are like, hey, *we* don't fight. *They* fight.
...and Bulbasaur jumps right to WELL WE HAVE BEEN ABANDONED THAT'S PEOPLE FOR YA

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Do they explain how there are 4 kids in a backwater like Pallet Town who all turned 10 on the same date yet no one thought to make sure they had 4 of the approved starters available?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Do they explain how there are 4 kids in a backwater like Pallet Town who all turned 10 on the same date yet no one thought to make sure they had 4 of the approved starters available?

The :tinfoil: answer is that Delia and Professor Oak deliberately arranged in advance for Ash to get Pikachu.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Who were the other two chucklefucks in Pallet who picked up Charmander and Bulbasaur.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Who were the other two chucklefucks in Pallet who picked up Charmander and Bulbasaur.

Nobody in particular. Oak mentions that they gave up on being itinerant Trainers and went back home.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

In I Choose You, Tierno and Marina, respectively. But that clearly wasn't what happened in the original timeline (Tierno has a Blastoise there, not to mention neither is from Pallet Town) so whoever took them were heavily unimportant.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Silver2195 posted:

The :tinfoil: answer is that Delia and Professor Oak deliberately arranged in advance for Ash to get Pikachu.

Mimey is actually Ash's real dad who was helping Bill with his pokemon transport and got stuck after an experiment went wrong, so he used his newfound psychic powers to manipulate Ash's whole journey so he could get back to his wife and also get rid of his kid.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Nope, I can only assume it was because Oak is kind of a dick.

Silver2195 posted:

Nobody in particular. Oak mentions that they gave up on being itinerant Trainers and went back home.

They then sailed off to Alola and joined team Skull.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Isn't there a part in ultra sun/moon where Nanu is offering a kid the "starter" of just three different alolan meowths, differentiating them by their personalities? I'm guessing you just take what you can get as far as starters go.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

indigi posted:

imagine a 10 year old shooting you with a tranq dart and when you wake up you find out they're now your direct supervisor at work

At least in the games the pokemon has to be explicitly conscious to be caught.

Edit ... actually no, they can be asleep or paralyzed, just not...fainted? :psyduck:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

indigi posted:

Of course it’s rare that your supervisor has a cool enough badge to make you work more than half the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

and then of course they also have restaurants where you eat them.

it's ok pokemon have restaurants where they eat people

:ghost: