Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

autism ZX spectrum posted:

That Boeing thing is the Prius brake thing all over again except this time it's a few hundred people in the sky instead of grandma in a parking lot.

Nah the plane is a Lemon. FAA also outsourced their certification to Boeing because :latestagecapitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You know you can’t even self-certify HDMI anymore?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i just read part of the seattle times article which stated that the lion air crashed involved 21 mcas cycles of the computer pointing the nose down before the crash

i kinda hate to get medieval, but the entire loving C suite of Boeing should be mandatory passengers for the test flights for the upcoming software fix for the max 8

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Phone posted:

i just read part of the seattle times article which stated that the lion air crashed involved 21 mcas cycles of the computer pointing the nose down before the crash

i kinda hate to get medieval, but the entire loving C suite of Boeing should be mandatory passengers for the test flights for the upcoming software fix for the max 8

this is the beginning of the machine uprising

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what is an mcas cycle

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shear Modulus posted:

what is an mcas cycle

mcas is the new computer system that prevents tail strikes in the 737 max 8. it takes input from a single angle of attack sensor and will adjust the rear flaps to push the nose down to prevent a stall/tail strike. there’s an initialization bug in the software that will improperly reset sensor inputs if the mcas is overridden, and it keeps trying to push the nose down.

I highly recommend reading any articles about the issue. https://jalopnik.com/recent-boeing-737-max-crashes-may-be-the-result-of-a-si-1833380459

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

how much do they gently caress up there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

got any sevens posted:

according to mary roach's book Packing For Mars freefall can make it difficult to get a boner because your cardiovascular system gets kinda lazy and your blood tends to pool in your chest

also space constantly smells like everyone's old poops thanks to the terrible toilet situation and the freefall also makes you kinda nauseated all the time from your inner ear freaking out

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Shear Modulus posted:

what is an mcas cycle

It means how many times the MCAS system on the Boeing 737-MAX8 kicked in and overruled the pilots, and thus proceeded to point the plane straight into the ground.

20 times the pilots fought the mcas system. The 21st time,

the air ran out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Phone posted:

mcas is the new computer system that prevents tail strikes in the 737 max 8. it takes input from a single angle of attack sensor and will adjust the rear flaps to push the nose down to prevent a stall/tail strike. there’s an initialization bug in the software that will improperly reset sensor inputs if the mcas is overridden, and it keeps trying to push the nose down.

I highly recommend reading any articles about the issue. https://jalopnik.com/recent-boeing-737-max-crashes-may-be-the-result-of-a-si-1833380459

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It means how many times the MCAS system on the Boeing 737-MAX8 kicked in and overruled the pilots, and thus proceeded to point the plane straight into the ground.

20 times the pilots fought the mcas system. The 21st time,

the air ran out.

lol cool

i love that the single sensor malfunctioning makes the plane fly into the ground

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

according to mary roach's book Packing For Mars freefall can make it difficult to get a boner because your cardiovascular system gets kinda lazy and your blood tends to pool in your chest

According to Harry G. Stine's book Halfway to Anywhere, despite these difficulties, there have been... let's call it personal rendezvous and docking activities... on no less than seven Space Shuttle flights. And it was published in 1996, so presumably the festivities have continued since then.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also space constantly smells like everyone's old poops thanks to the terrible toilet situation

Space toilets have greatly improved since the days of Apollo. A few Shuttle astronauts have actually publicly thanked the engineers that made the smell containment work so extraordinarily well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

lol cool

i love that the single sensor malfunctioning makes the plane fly into the ground

planes these days have all kinds of automated systems designed to address what happens if the flight computer thinks the pilot is flying the plane wrong. more and more often, they address it by just quietly adjusting the plane's flight path on their own, either giving no indication that they're doing so or barraging the pilot with a dozen confusing alerts all over the plane's nightmare of a UI

usually, the plane manufacturer doesn't make similar allowances for the pilot to intervene if they think the computer is flying the plane wrong. the systems can easily override the pilot, since they're mostly there to guard against human error, but it's difficult for the human to override them in case of computer error

it's not even close to the first time something along these general lines has happened, either. for example, here's one in 2008 where the pilots managed to avoid crashing. memory corruption led to one of the flight computers mistaking the altitude for the flight angle, deciding that the plane's nose was angled way too high, and "helpfully" trying to point the plane downward

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it’s somewhat an apples to oranges comparison, but they’re still both fruit. you wind up with a bunch of armchair pilots (read: forums warriors) talking about how pilots don’t even do their job anymore and how it’s all handled by the computers and how back in my day we flew 15 miles uphill both ways, etc; however, a software/UI gently caress up is a software/UI gently caress up no matter how you want to frame it.

with previous versions of the 737, if you pulled up on the stick it’d tell the computer to gently caress off and stop helping. for the max 8, they changed this behavior and didn’t really tell anyone about it. boeing went out of their way to black box everything about mcas and it turns out abstracting out something that points the nose down might not have been the smartest thing to do.

that said, i’m confident that boeing’s internal investigation is going to leave no rock underturned and come to the conclusion that boeing did nothing wrong.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Critical control systems should use triple-redundant voting logic, it's pretty common in aviation.

I'm trying to understand why the MCAS system was tied to a single sensor.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

Critical control systems should use triple-redundant voting logic, it's pretty common in aviation.

didnt they get around that by saying that the system was noncritical

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dead Beef posted:

Because capital inevitably compromises functionality and safety in the name of profit

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
And they did this because when they changed the engine to increase range and fuel efficiency, it caused the plane to nose up. Rather than fix these aerodynamics, which would basically mean a new chassis, the opposite of their intent, they fixed it with software.

Now the real crime is that the big red warning light for this issue which was known about was sold as an optional extra.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

lol cool

I love that there’s a second sensor that takes the exact same measurements but the system only uses the single one

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dead Beef posted:

Shear Modulus posted:

didnt they get around that by saying that the system was noncritical

and they did that by lying about what it does, stating that could only make a small correction once instead of it being able to make a correction 2.5x larger multiple times. Also the level they rated it (hazardous vs. critical) still demands redundant sensors but it turns out if you're certifying yourself you can just ignore that too.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lol the "AOA DISAGREE" warning is sold as an optional feature :cripes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dead Beef posted:

I've read that but what nothing I've read has stated is whether the pilot in knowing that has any other option but to fight the computer trying to crash the plane. My reading (admittedly poor sources) seem to indicate that even if the pilot had the warning they still can't do anything about it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dead Beef posted:

good ol’ chicago school of economics sales engineering (now with more regular engineering, too!)

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Three Laws of Airplane Robotics:

1. Do not let the plane crash.
2. Do not let the passengers feel excessive g-forces.
3. Make the plane fly the scheduled flight in a timely manner.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

qkkl posted:

The Three Laws of Airplane Robotics:

1. Do not let the plane crash.
2. Do not let the passengers feel excessive g-forces.
3. Make the plane fly the scheduled flight in a timely manner.

0. gently caress you it's dividends season.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
welcome to hell

My husband is a victim of Identity theft and no one is helping us, he is so panicked that he plans to leave the country (and his pregnant wife). Please advise.

quote:

Edit: This is in Oregon, USA.

My husband, whom I love dearly, is a green card holder here in the US. I am 3 months pregnant.

We moved to the US 4 years ago and are finally settled down. We bought a house after a difficult year of searching, we both have good jobs that we enjoy, and friends (also with little ones) that we see every weekend, and finally got pregnant. We were happy.

Then 2 months ago, thieves stole husband's laptop out of our car, which had scans of ALL of his important documents - DL, green card, foreign passport, our tax returns, even his SSN card. We filed a police report but they said there was nothing they could do. We already had fraud alerts on our credit reports and didn't know what else to do at the time. But it was silent for several months.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. Husband randomly pulled his credit report and found 30 hard inquires. We had fraud alerts on but turns out the thief had changed the fraud alert phone number to his. Thankfully everything had been red flagged and nothing went through.

But every day, husband gets more pings about his new credit cards/loans. There have been another 20 or so in the past 2 weeks, plus weird poo poo like him trying to order $600 worth of 5kmW lasers and ship them to our house, possible to steal them off our porch, or put husband on a terrorist watch list maybe? (We're getting cameras).

But there is no end in sight since he can't freeze his credit - the thief just calls the bureaus and asks them to unfreeze it by answering security questions, which he knows the answers to because he stole our info. NOTE: These are KBA - knowledge based authentication questions - these are not questions that we choose. They are based on your history, things like past addresses, loans, phone numbers. (Go pull one of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com, and these are the types of questions it will ask you). Once these things are known, they're out there forever. And I've already contacted my elected officials about how KBA and using SSNs for both authentication/identification is extremely dangerous and the system needs to change.

Anyway we've called all 3 bureaus probably 20 times and have them on record saying is no way to prevent the thief from unfreezing his credit reports by answering these questions. So we just have to deal with it, and continue to fight several new inquiries every single day.

The police are also doing nothing to help us - they won't even get warrants for all the info we have on him, like his IP address in our city (not behind a VPN), several phone numbers, email addresses, and physical addresses. They say "sorry, we can't do anything, maybe go to the DA" and then the DA says "are you kidding? That's the police's job, they have their channels, why did they tell you to come to me?" It's been a loving circus.

We know the thief gained access to his laptop and now has scans of all his documents because he photoshopped his face (old angry arab dude with a scowl) into his picture. Though we're not actually sure it's him because he refuses to show up at car dealerships when they asked him to come in. We called all these dealerships after their credit inquiries and they sent us his applications, and this fake ID he's been using, as well as phone numbers and the IP that he sent in the application from.

So, husband has been basically having a panic attack non-stop for the past 2.5 weeks, and says he can't live like this. He thinks his life is over. He wants to return to his home country, abandon our life here and give up his visa. I feel like it's preemptively destroying our lives before the ID thief can. We'd lose more on selling the house than the thief would ever be able to steal from us.

We went to several lawyers who said they can't really do anything in our situation. They said we have to wait for something to actually happen, then we'll have a case. But for now, we have to wait for that bad thing to happen, and then we can deal with it. But he says he's not willing to live like this.

But even if the credit is resolved, he is more afraid about the horror stories that he is reading online, people being arrested for what this thief does and not being able to :

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/identity-theft-victim-spends-32-days-missouri-jail/53711464

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7326736.stm

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/07/26/man-gets-life-back-after-id-thief-sentenced-to-prison/

And a bunch of other articles like this one that say you basically need to prove your own innocence in cases like this. He is so scared of getting arrested that he says it's not worth staying here at all.

So - He's asking me to quit my job (which I enjoy and worked hard to get) and sell our house. I'd have to be the one selling the house because he plans to leave within a week or 2. I'd be 5-7 months pregnant when that is done - by the way, we'd lose something like 50K on this, since we only bought it a year ago and it hasn't gone up in value, more than the thief would ever be able to steal.

Then I'll need to sell everything and my car, pack what I want to keep into a few suitcases, leave all my friends and family, and move to his country a 16 hour plane ride away, all while heavily pregnant. We would have to live in his parents tiny apartment while we find our own tiny apartment with the mortgage money, since we couldn't afford anything else in this 8th most expensive city in the world. Then, give birth in a country where I don't have health insurance and don't speak the language. Then, find a job when I can't even understand basic conversation. I honestly can't believe that he thinks all this is acceptable to ask your pregnant wife because he feels that he has no legal recourse in this situation. And I honestly feel like if I went through all that, I'd resent him (especially since he's been taking out all his frustrations on me despite me doing everything I can to help).

I am completely willing to fight for our lives here, I also take several hours out of my day every day to make phone calls, write letters, and take time off work to help him. ( I also think I need power of attorney, because I'm trying to help as much as I can and people will only talk to the SSN holder (or the loving identity thief), but he has completely given up and refuses to make any more calls or see anyone about it. How do we do something like this?) But he has had a nervous breakdown, says he can't take it anymore and is leaving.

We've only been at it for 2.5 weeks and I feel like the solution is still out there. I just don't know where to find it. We've tried LITERALLY everything that people have recommended, and no one is helping us. Police, credit bureaus, lawyers, government agencies set up to help victims of ID theft - none of this is helping.

We have no other recourse right now, please if anyone has any idea of what we can do...

awesome. this should synergize real horrifyingly with the latest scotus ruling too

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I've watched ID theft in action and it's a loving mess to sort out.
Victims should immediately file a report with the FTC. Once you have an official report you'll have a little more power. Banks are more likely to block attempts to unfreeze accounts that have been reported to the FTC. The police can (or should) help you create a police report with all the relevant information (see link below) and then the police report itself can be added to the FTC report which will give you even more power.

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

If you're having a problem with the police, print this out and give it to them:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/articles/pdf/pdf-0088-ftc-memo-law-enforcement.pdf

Even still it's a nightmare to resolve :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

got any sevens posted:

related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnJrenTkGGE

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

welcome to hell

My husband is a victim of Identity theft and no one is helping us, he is so panicked that he plans to leave the country (and his pregnant wife). Please advise.

awesome. this should synergize real horrifyingly with the latest scotus ruling too

Where's that from?

e: nvm googled it

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

and people still think the police exist to help you lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sooooo... Someone is destroying their lives, he's willing to torpedo the remainder of the life he built and leave the country/start from scratch over it, the police don't want to get involved but he knows the thief's physical address? Truly a puzzle for the ages.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Outrail posted:

Sooooo... Someone is destroying their lives, he's willing to torpedo the remainder of the life he built and leave the country/start from scratch over it, the police don't want to get involved but he knows the thief's physical address? Truly a puzzle for the ages.

what are you implying

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shear Modulus posted:

what are you implying

Nothing, nothing. Continue to proceed through through the proper channels and forward any new evidence to the relevant authorities. We have systems and people in place to help us in circumstances like this.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

however, sometimes good things happen:

:woop:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Didn't all the MySpace pics get hacked/leaked years ago tho?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Akira is set in 2019 so i hope we get that cyperpunk dystopia

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Krankenstyle posted:

Didn't all the MySpace pics get hacked/leaked years ago tho?

Sure probably but now we all have plausible deniability, and for someone whose only social media profile was MySpace that’s a kind of wonderful freedom

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Former DILF posted:

however, sometimes good things happen:

:woop:

MySpace losing all their music is going to really suck when future music historians are trying to track down the first songs recorded by then-unknown major artists.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jose posted:

Akira but it starts with a gang of hipsters on limebikes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose posted:

Well, Japan is run by a right-wing party who wants to make the SDF into a bigger Army so we're partway there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Necrothatcher posted:

MySpace losing all their music is going to really suck when future music historians are trying to track down the first songs recorded by then-unknown major artists.

Future historians are already going to wonder how an entire civilization went dark when none of our digital information storage media survives for more than a few decades.