Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not really though. If they wanted to just hit and revenue they would just make regular kid stuff. The videos are so nightmarish for another reason, which changes from "weird meta joke" to "pedophile grooming" depending on who you talk to.

The videos are cheaply made and weird and people are desperate to find a higher minded reason to dislike them than “they are crappy” so they keep attaching weird panics to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the kids today are being raised by the same shitheads that got us in these problems

The parents of younger children are largely millennials now. It happened, we’re old. Gen xers are flipping kids into college or rounding out high school even if those kids might not move out as soon as earlier generations. That said I have a hard time laying the blame for not fixing everything by now on millennials. Hell even Gen x had only in the past several years been coming into power.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

theflyingorc posted:

Youtube cracked down on them some, but a year or so ago Youtube was flooded with procedurally generated kids content, remixing dozens of characters and scenarios. The whole point was just to get into related videos so kids would watch them and serve ads.

Some of them got weird, and had things where various characters were undergoing medical procedures or being beat up, all while fun kids tunes played in the background.

:stonk:

E: oh there's a video. Saving to watch at break

luxury handset posted:

there's a whole world of robot generated videos for toddlers on youtube, intended to game the algorithm and defraud the advertising system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfCRTEKP4Q

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 19, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

What's up with these rappers with tattoos on their faces.

And MOMO!

Okay, I have to ask because my Facebook feed is filling up with boomers warning about Momo

What the gently caress is Momo?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not really though. If they wanted to just hit and revenue they would just make regular kid stuff. The videos are so nightmarish for another reason, which changes from "weird meta joke" to "pedophile grooming" depending on who you talk to.

The latter is also tied in with the various challenge videos that end up cropping up.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The videos are cheaply made and weird and people are desperate to find a higher minded reason to dislike them than “they are crappy” so they keep attaching weird panics to them

Yeah nawh I've managed to catch some of the weirder stuff that's cropped up in to the tiny tyrant's searches before. There's cheap, there's crappy, and then there's "surprise Peppa Pig's getting amateur dental surgery".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TulliusCicero posted:

Okay, I have to ask because my Facebook feed is filling up with boomers warning about Momo

Haha you're old.

Imagine I told you not to let your kids play D&D because they'll commit suicide.

Then update it to instragram/youtube.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CuddleCryptid posted:

Kids like dark stuff, too.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There's no reason for kids to see "5 little hitlers jumping on the bed", which is a Real Thing and I Have Seen It

A lot of them had weird violent content to them which was clearly one of 30,000 ideas that the people who make them throw at the wall, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a little unnerving.

edit: Yeah legitimately the one thing I would recommend you completely steer any kids away from is the concept of "challenge videos", because Pedophiles have been using that a lot, and a number of them aren't safe.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 19, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TulliusCicero posted:

Momo is allegedly a creepy character who will pop up unexpectedly in your kids' youtube videos and encourage them to self-harm or commit suicide. It's just another moral panic.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

MoMo is a picture of a weird but very well done japanese bird woman/yokai that boomers have attached a satanic panic to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

a japanese artist made a scary bird statue. Someone took a photo, there was a creepy pasta that was just the plot of ring but with whatsapp and youtube instead of phone calls and VHS, kim kardashian instagrammed it. Kids believed the version where a ghost bird was going to kill them. Idiot horrible adults believed that it was a hot new game kids played called the momos challenge where a cyber hacker would contact them saying to kill themselves then the kid would.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theflyingorc posted:

Kids like dark stuff, too.

Yeah, kids like dark stuff like Invader Zim, not Elsa cutting her tongue off with a pair of scissors.

haveblue posted:

Momo is allegedly a creepy character who will pop up unexpectedly in your kids' youtube videos and encourage them to self-harm or commit suicide. It's just another moral panic.

Just like the Blue Whale or whatever it was called.

Moral panics are a great way to deflect "hey why did my kid kill themselves, maybe it was the signs of untreated depression that I repeatedly ignored"

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I was forbidden as a kid from ever playing with a ouija or D&D because I would be immediately possessed by satan

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

NO no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO!! No one answer this poo poo. Questions here are OK but please God don't anyone start this poo poo again.

EDIT: good responses so far, y'all. Thanks.

I don't want to see that loving picture again.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nazzadan posted:

Nothing in his post was exceptionally aggro, sorry an all uppercase "lol" set off your weird concern trolling?

Not really concern trolling, but I am worried about a bunch of influx of gamer gate idiots being way more prominent and like it's nice to see that the polls from a year ago show a good trend but it still doesn't seem right, but maybe I'm still worried about the upcoming dsa meeting tomorrow.

Also it wasn't just the "lol" but also "aww did your feelings get hurt" which I've heard a lot in my life because a lot of "hey maybe you shouldn't be an rear end in a top hat for comedy" has been turned around as "don't be so emotional" and "what are you, on your period?" so like, guess that'll never change.

I'll back out of the thread, sorry for making an appearance, continue on.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

CuddleCryptid posted:

Naw, it's neither of those, and something weirdly more innocent and also sinister. When this poo poo first broke, I went down a deep rabbit-hole studying them. The videos overwhelmingly focus on things that trouble/scare/fascinate young children: pregnancy, dentistry, disease, authority. And they present them in context that are once accessible (the joker injects elsa and then she's pregnant then she goes to the dentist and he pulls her tooth and she has a baby) and also speak fundamentally to how kids think about these things. Like what's kind of fascinating is these videos aren't "disturbing" like when adults deliberately try to "disturbing" kids' entertainment; they're disturbing in exactly the way kids 5-8 think.

These videos feel EXACTLY like childhood nightmares.

Their popularity and creation is yet another result of the clickbait attention-economy and they were widespread for the same reason as Ben Shapiro and the video of the mosque shooting: because people instinctively click on and are captivated by things that upset and provoke them. It's just that by virtue of being extremely low-cost, cheaply made, and 100% tuned to the algorithm of "what will keep a 5-year-old's attention", they're even more abstract and creepy than their adult counterparts.

edit: there obviously were some examples, especially once it 'caught on', that were genuinely created by adults intended to upset. But the sheer bulk of the Elsagate content wasn't "elsa cutting her tongue off", it was "8 different hulks get stuck in sand and then the joker dances and then they're all pregnant and then the doctor puts them in a tub and they're all girl hulks now all the while nursery rhymes play on loop". It was disturbing, but in a very specific targeted way.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 19, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

the videos are nightmarish because they're procedurally generated and incredibly cheap to produce, because volume is the most important thing as toddlers are not discerning consumers of media

pedophile grooming is when you have 11 year old lifestyle bloggers who end up hooked into creep networks who make requests like "haha it would be totally cool and wacky if you rubbed a popsicle all over your face and let your dog lick it off lol ;)"

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
EDIT: wrong date, gently caress it.

gently caress Trump.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 19, 2019

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Is this irony? I feel like this is irony.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1108112973405585411

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

What's up with these rappers with tattoos on their faces.

Post Malone looks like he's covered in grease all the time but Sunflower is just so fuckin good. Especially in Best Movie Of 2018 Spider-Verse, out on blu ray now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

VH4Ever posted:

I don't want to see that loving picture again.

Because you'll have the urge to commit suicide?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The biggest irony of the Momo hoax is that there actually IS an insidious sinister force on Youtube that makes kids harm others, it's just alt-right radicalization

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Because you'll have the urge to commit suicide?

No I just hate that loving picture.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

I was forbidden as a kid from ever playing with a ouija or D&D because I would be immediately possessed by satan

I was too until my mom left our wierd cult Baptist Church

It's a shame too because playing Dnd now at 29 as an English teacher is a great way to practice and improve my creative writing, and I wish I had been able to experience that more as a kid :smith:

So the Momo thing is just a dumb horror meme? Got it. I had a bunch of boomers warning my friends (who are young parents) about Momo, and I was just like "you can just close out of youtube if you are that scared of a thing, it's not like it's the ring"

Boomers are wierd

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VH4Ever posted:

if you are scared, do know the artist left the statue outside, it became damaged and was thrown in a dumpster and can not harm you anymore. (or alternatively: that means a now decomposing version of it is loose in the world)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VH4Ever posted:

You just registered like, today. Next time don't come in trying to pull rank on people who have been here way, way too long, ok? Nickel's worth of free advice. Lurk more.

This is a weird thing to post, and I do not wish to outrank anybody.

Asema, I think you took my original reaction too strongly - I really really strongly dislike the "kids are more conservative" canard that gets raised every once in a while.

I was extremely direct, and maybe I shouldn't have been, but I wasn't wild about how, when corrected, you immediately chose to tone police. It was a bit weird to be primarily focused on how my post made you feel rather than its accuracy. I should have linked my source earlier, you're not wrong about that.

People can be mean to each other in here sometimes, don't take it personally.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I recall some dimension of the Momo panic being that video-makers would convince kids to poison their parents.

It's just bird-lady Slenderman tbh.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

if you are scared, do know the artist left the statue outside, it became damaged and was thrown in a dumpster and can not harm you anymore. (or alternatively: that means a now decomposing version of it is loose in the world)

Dudes, why are all of you being such dicks about this? I can't hate it without being some pussy suicidal scaredy cat in your view? It's a stupid picture because it was used for a stupid hoax and I've seen it enough for one lifetime, thanks. That can't suffice?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VH4Ever posted:

Dudes, why are all of you being such dicks about this? I can't hate it without being some pussy suicidal scaredy cat in your view? It's a stupid picture because it was used for a stupid hoax and I've seen it enough for one lifetime, thanks. That can't suffice?

I can't tell if this is sincere or mocking that earlier post

Edit: I had a work ticket related to Momo. Apparently if you google the word "dictionary," a recent article by Dictionary.com about Momo just full on has the picture as it's thumbnail and it was causing a panic. I don't have a fix for that other than "stop googling the word dictionary."

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 19, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VH4Ever posted:

if you don't forward my post ot 200 of your friends, you will be eaten by a ghost

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
hey shitbirds stop with the momo discussion

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
President Doofus doesn't know what polls are...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1108118176754208771

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

I really really strongly dislike the "kids are more conservative" canard that gets raised every once in a while.

I kinda personally hate kids or being around kids but I don't think there is anything that makes me angrier than adults that think they are so cute with their "kids today" stuff. Like the whole idea that our parents hated us and everything we did so we have to/get to do the same. Like what if a generation just decided to stop this crap and like, stop weird nonstop micro abuse of children.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

This is a weird thing to post, and I do not wish to outrank anybody.

Asema, I think you took my original reaction too strongly - I really really strongly dislike the "kids are more conservative" canard that gets raised every once in a while.

I was extremely direct, and maybe I shouldn't have been, but I wasn't wild about how, when corrected, you immediately chose to tone police. It was a bit weird to be primarily focused on how my post made you feel rather than its accuracy. I should have linked my source earlier, you're not wrong about that.

People can be mean to each other in here sometimes, don't take it personally.

I can understand that things get repeated a lot but this is a huge thread and I'll be honest there's sometimes where I just skip to the end because there's a couple hundred to a thousand new posts that I don't have the energy to read. It's hard to keep emotionally attached to how lovely things are right now and all I really wanted to see was that if the perception of a bunch of dumb MAGA idiots being public was a high enough % to be worried. I put it in quotes because I tried to make sure it wasn't a stance that people thought I took, with saying that it just feels like it's becoming the opposite and I understand as I'm typing that out right now that it's a feels/reals thing and I hate myself for it.

It's just with a lot of celebration on Reddit, with T_D, with 4chan, with 8chan, with a bunch of lovely loving hellhole places on the internet. That it doesn't seem what the polls say. I'm glad to be corrected, I'm glad to be wrong and that the shift is real and is apparent enough to have solid data points, but even in my post education comp sci / stem field industry I'm still seeing a lot of loving CHUDS and not enough support for what I think is basic rights. HR literally had to give a lecture about trans rights last month because one of our employees said "I don't care what he calls himself, him cutting off his dick doesn't make him a woman" and even then it was all "I'm doing this because corporate wants me to" rather than an issue people wanted to stand up for. And I get it, I know that my small anecdotes don't really make up the bigger picture here. My stats professor is throwing chalk at me from states away but sometimes I need somebody to slap me with polls so that I can feel better about the world I'm leaving behind lmao

I didn't mean to "pull rank" or try to do anything but I'm personally done with hurtful/mean comedy that puts people down. The world does that enough imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahaha he's so loving stupid holy poo poo.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
What did the poll actually say

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1108118699750449152

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VH4Ever posted:

Twenty goons just PM'd you the picture.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/andylassner/status/1108017833273774080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Haha, he named the only soccer player that all Americans can name.