Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I mean, at that level maybe just git autocad or some landscaping industry software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Does anyone survival horroish games with resource management on PS4? It doesnt necessarily have to be a horror game but I like shooters where you have to be mindful of your resources.

Games Ive played

REmake
REmake 2
Resident Evil 4-7
Ellie's and Joel's magical adventure
Prey
Evil Within 1-2

And maybe something Ive forgotten? I have Alien Isolation but it didnt quite grab me the first time I played it. Im also wary of Metal Gear Survive because its online only and that sucks rear end.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 17, 2019

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

7 days to die might fit the bill. It's more survival crafting than survival horror but is definitely a shooter where you need to manage your resources. Archery and melee stay default engagement modes even dozens of hours in because firearm ammunition is precious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vandelay industries posted:

My friends and I are looking to take a break from competitive games like PUBG, Overwatch and Rocket League.

We're looking for an online co-op/multiplayer game (there's roughly 4 of us) with a progression system where we can continually improve/outfit our character. Nothing casual, but something that doesn't involve mandatory competitive PVP. It just has to be fun and something we can play over the long term, even a co-op RPG. If you need me to be more specific, let me know!

- We've already tried Divinity Original Sin 2, Diablo-type games, Terraria, Destiny-like games, and Borderlands.

Deep Rock Galactic, Vermintide 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Does anyone survival horroish games with resource management on PS4? It doesnt necessarily have to be a horror game but I like shooters where you have to be mindful of your resources.

Games Ive played

REmake
REmake 2
Resident Evil 4-7
Prey
Evil Within 1-2

And maybe something Ive forgotten? I have Alien Isolation but it didnt quite grab me the first time I played it. Im also wary of Metal Gear Survive because its online only and that sucks rear end.

Dying Light

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

WaltherFeng posted:

Games Ive played

REmake
REmake 2
Resident Evil 4-7
Prey
Evil Within 1-2

It's too bad that the Dead Space series isn't available on PS4. I had to quit playing it partway through because I wasn't used to resource management shooters and got so stressed out trying to decide how much I should spend on ammo vs. upgrades.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world
Anyone familiar with A Tale in the Desert? Are there any other multiplayer games with similar gameplay?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

baby picture posted:

Anyone familiar with A Tale in the Desert? Are there any other multiplayer games with similar gameplay?

I'm very familiar with it; I played with goons over 10 years ago.

It has that old school MMO 'community' vibe which is pretty rare now. You might find it on a private server in Rust, if you have like a city council and that sort of thing. Building roads, farming, etc. But not on general servers.

It also had LOTS of granular skill systems. You might find something similar in Wurm Online/Wurm Unlimited:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/Wurm_Unlimited/

Also, there are 'private' (but actually quite actively recruiting on reddit, etc) Ultima Online servers, if you're into the RP/skill system aspect of ATITD, while having a lot less of the 'group project' parts, however.

Otherwise, I am hoping someone else has a better suggestion for you. Good luck. I really loved ATITD for a while there. Just figuring out exactly how to make glass, when to add the different components. It was great. (Pretty sure it's still around, too, to some degree)

edit: oh, and if you want to check out Wurm Unlimited, apparently it's only $3.99 in this bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/lore-bundle

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 18, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Deep Rock Galactic. 100% co-op.

Thanks for all the other advice, I'll check it out. But yo, that Deep Rock Galactic game is pretty drat cool, sounds like Diablo meets Minecraft?

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

Thanks, I'll check those out!

ATITD is still around, in the 8th Telling now, but with some frustrating dev bullshit recently.

The old school MMO vibe is something I miss, yeah. :sigh:

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
I'd love a rec based on my two dumb constraints:

1) I just got a new computer that will run pretty much any game, after my old one finally kicked the bucket. Previously I mostly played older games and lofi indie games because of the hardware. So I'm pretty ignorant about what's out there and good nowadays. Also...

2) I have a young child who takes up most of my free time. Normally I don't get to play any games at all, or I only can play them in 20 or 30 minute bursts.

But I'll have a few evenings free soon that I'm hoping to spend gaming, so I'd like to find a game that's new to me and recentish that definitely can be enjoyed when I only have a few evenings to really spend a lot of time on it, that preferably can take advantage of my new hardware, and that preferably could be enjoyed if in the future I am able to pick it up for just 30 minute chunks (but these last two things aren't super super important).

I mostly like RTSs, strategy games, horror games, and RPGs, and not too long ago when I was able to play games more often I was playing a lot of roguelikes and lites (the last game I spent a ton of time on was Deadcells, when it was still in early access, but I did get to play a little Into the Breach). I do like games with some leveling system or sense of progression.

I never got to play any games of the Left 4 Dead type, so I was just reading about Vermintide 2. Not sure how long it will take to get into and become competent, or whether it will be too twitchy for my tastes.

Anyway, I'd be open to any suggestions for things I should look into.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Into the Breach and witcher 3 are ok for short sessions and there is a feeling of progression

e: I'm stupid yoi already played into the Breach. Witcher 3 should fit your requirements though. I could never get into the 2 first but 3 is among the best action rpgs ever

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 18, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Resident Evil 7 has generous auto-saves and can be played in short bursts on standard difficulty. It's also really gorgeous looking horror game and probably dirt cheap by now. If you like it then you'll want to play Resident Evil 2 remake after that.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 18, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Resident Evil 2 remake is short and gorgeous so perfect for showing off yr new gaming rig.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's not out til the 16th of April but Anno 1800 should fit the bill pretty well. There's an open beta starting on the 12th.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DreadCthulhu posted:

Thanks for all the other advice, I'll check it out. But yo, that Deep Rock Galactic game is pretty drat cool, sounds like Diablo meets Minecraft?

I'd say Left 4 Dead meets Minecraft, but with bugs (the gooey kind not the tech kind). They're still adding a lot of stuff but the game feels pretty complete as-is. Right now they are adding new enemies to the game

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 18, 2019

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions! RE7 seems like a good pick. Haven't played one since RE4 on the Wii...

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
To my eternal shame I have never played a Yakuza game, would Kiwami or Zero be the best starting point?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Purple Monkey posted:

To my eternal shame I have never played a Yakuza game, would Kiwami or Zero be the best starting point?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So I’m looking for a controller supported PC game, PS4 game, or Switch game.

I’d like something turn-based or tower defensey, something I can take my time with and maybe listen to podcasts or whatever while I play.

I’ve played and loved XCOM 1&2, Steamworld Heist, Mario vs. Rabbids, FTL, and the first couple of Space Hulk games. I think I’d like Phantom Doctrine but I’m waiting for the Switch release.

And for tower defense, OMD 1&2 and Defense Grid 1&2. Death Trap kind of seems okay but I’m worried it’s too actiony/button mashy which I just can’t do.

I can’t really get in to cutesy stuff which it seems like a lot of tower defense games are. It doesn’t have to be super serious, I just kind of can’t get into games that feel like I’ve walked into a candy shop.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

So I’m looking for a controller supported PC game, PS4 game, or Switch game.

I’d like something turn-based or tower defensey, something I can take my time with and maybe listen to podcasts or whatever while I play.

I’ve played and loved XCOM 1&2, Steamworld Heist, Mario vs. Rabbids, FTL, and the first couple of Space Hulk games. I think I’d like Phantom Doctrine but I’m waiting for the Switch release.

And for tower defense, OMD 1&2 and Defense Grid 1&2. Death Trap kind of seems okay but I’m worried it’s too actiony/button mashy which I just can’t do.

I can’t really get in to cutesy stuff which it seems like a lot of tower defense games are. It doesn’t have to be super serious, I just kind of can’t get into games that feel like I’ve walked into a candy shop.

Into the Breach is a Pacific Rim-ish turn-based mini-XCOM by the makers of FTL.

X-Morph: Defense is a real-time tower defense/shmup where you switch between plonking down gun towers and attacking directly with your fighter ship.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you've played through Steamworld Heist, you might appreciate just playing through Steamworld Digs 1 & 2. It's not a turn-based game, but it's still pretty slow and chill. Just diggin' through the Earth. If nothing else, you might appreciate how...uh...contiguous their stories are.

Valkyria Chronicles might be good for your purposes too. It's a bizarre turn-based tactical RTS hybrid where you control individual soldiers at a time to manually run them to whatever position you want them to fire, and you get to aim a shot. If you wander into the firing range of an enemy, they'll shoot at you (and vice versa on the enemy's turn), so that's kinda tower based as well. There's even non-story missions you can do if you want to just to a little chill grinding, like Fire Emblem has (or used to have? it's been a long while since I played FE). Just be warned that also like Fire Emblem, there's a whole lot of faffing about with menus between missions, and the cutscene plots can get really long-winded. JRPGs have a tendency of not letting you get to the part where you just play.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Into The Breach was really cool, but I beat the main campaign and kind of lost interest in doing it with other set ups.

I’ve waffled on X-Morph for like a year, maybe I should just bite the bullet already.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus fits all your criteria except no controller.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Can someone recommend me a good wilderness survival game? Preferably winter-themed. I tried The Long Dark but the mechanics are absolutely awful, both in realism and fun factor.
I've played Don't Starve.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Factorio :v:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Seconding Factorio, probably the best simulation of wilderness struggling to survive out there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McFrugal posted:

Can someone recommend me a good wilderness survival game? Preferably winter-themed. I tried The Long Dark but the mechanics are absolutely awful, both in realism and fun factor.

Project Zomboid.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for a survival first person explorer. Ideally, something that delivers the experience of Rust (make a base, loot, explore, first person combat, high risk of losing everything on you if you die) without the frustration of being offline raided. Other games I really enjoyed in this vein include STALKER (without the base building of course, but the feeling of exploration and open world was excellent), subnautica, and the long dark.

I tried the forest but bounced off if a little, in part because I just came off of subnautica and in part that the lack of crafting recipes drove me a little crazy

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Frostpunk. Also Factorio has a demo you should check out before buying it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

frostpunk's not really a ... frostpunk's more of a puzzle you figure out? than a wilderness survival game? And then you either leave it be, or introduce house rules/gimmick runs to keep it interesting.

But god ... drat does the soundtrack rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqEpSOFDXGA

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

double nine posted:

frostpunk's not really a ... frostpunk's more of a puzzle you figure out? than a wilderness survival game? And then you either leave it be, or introduce house rules/gimmick runs to keep it interesting.

But god ... drat does the soundtrack rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqEpSOFDXGA

Eh, it calls itself a winter survival game, so that's what I consider it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

McFrugal posted:

every time I hear "wilderness survival" the first thing I think of is UnReal World. it's a very YMMV recommendation though as it's detail-oriented in a way that's great for making stories but not so great for playing in the moment.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What's a good and dumb fun (but not difficult) hack and slash game for PC that I can play with a controller?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spasticColon posted:

What's a good and dumb fun (but not difficult) hack and slash game for PC that I can play with a controller?

Omensight

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Hwurmp posted:

Omensight

Looks fun but should I wait for a sale?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wait for a sale if you think you might not like replaying different variations of the same six or seven areas; otherwise I'd say :20bux: is a decent price.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

spasticColon posted:

Devil May Cry 5 on Human.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

spasticColon posted:

Victor Vran, Diablo 3, Songbringer, Stories: The Path of Destinies, Bayonetta on easy/assisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

It's nowhere close to finished, but keep one eye on Subnautica: Below Zero.