Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

Morbi was burning out really hard, and the text/comic hybrid was a final attempt at keeping their passion for it alive. It doesn't really seem to have worked, but I applaud the effort. And "woah, Chickadino" was a good scene, so I'm glad it exists.

I figured as much. I wish Morbi had just taken a break for a bit and came later back in the same format instead of this, though. As much as the effort was appreciated, it doesn't have the same feeling or appeal as the original comic version, and it totally lost me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I figured as much. I wish Morbi had just taken a break for a bit and came later back in the same format instead of this, though. As much as the effort was appreciated, it doesn't have the same feeling or appeal as the original comic version, and it totally lost me.
Given that it's been six months since the last update, 'taking a break' doesn't seem to have helped, either.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
morbi tried to get somebody harassed and thats basically a moral line i do not abide the crossing of so im basically done with morbis work outside of some theoretical actual cleanup of their act somewhere years down the line and even then im going to be wary at best

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

petty witch posted:

morbi tried to get somebody harassed and thats basically a moral line i do not abide the crossing of so im basically done with morbis work outside of some theoretical actual cleanup of their act somewhere years down the line and even then im going to be wary at best
wait what

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
morbi needs therapy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think it would be extremely cool to shoot at morbi's feet with revolvers to make him dance for the rest of eternity

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oof, ok, I don't think I really want to know the details of that.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
im not personally involved and i dont want to talk about it really ive just been happy that hes quietly faded from awareness til now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IronSaber posted:

Oh hey, I'm acquaintances with the author of Trash Knight. She draws wonderful facial expressions.

Oh cool, how'd you meet her? She just goes by the name of her comic on Tapas

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh cool, how'd you meet her? She just goes by the name of her comic on Tapas

Well, to make a long story short, I hang out on an IRC channel she frequents where we all do little illustrated CYOA's (like Problem Sleuth) and generally shoot the poo poo. I'm hesitant to namedrop her handle as she has some other works I imagine she'd like to keep separate. But yeah. she's cool and I'm glad to see her carving out a little niche with Trash Knight and making some Patreon money.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

apparently the overarching story he'd gotten really married to for Poppy was some huge epic that would've taken like 40 years to draw out so there really was no possibility of a non-burnout ending

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oof, ok, I don't think I really want to know the details of that.

it's tremendously less interesting than you're imagining

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

apparently the overarching story he'd gotten really married to for Poppy was some huge epic that would've taken like 40 years to draw out so there really was no possibility of a non-burnout ending

Write a loving book

Make it a picture book if you want. Just ditch the weekly comic format and come out with a proper book and sell it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i realize i'm a bit late to the girl genius discussion but i'm going to chime in anyway and say that any bad parts of the castle and onward are offset by zola, who is the best

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

IronSaber posted:

Oh hey, I'm acquaintances with the author of Trash Knight. She draws wonderful facial expressions.

Can you ask her to use a comic host that doesn't require me to make an account to read her comic?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I still like Girl Genius and actually liked their time in the castle, but I've reread a bunch of it now and holy poo poo that started like 10 years ago. Sure doesn't feel like a lot of story has happened since then.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Longer ago than that, since IIRC the first book or two were published normally and then they started serializing on the web to attract new readers and eventually the serialization caught up with their backlog and GG turned into a bona fide webcomic.

And that's when pacing problems and filler arcs started appearing, because they stopped being constrained by a age budget and started being constrained by having to update three times a week, even when hitting a writing block.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

i really, really like the whole composition of the latest ksbd update and i could say such an obnoxious number of words about it that im actively heading myself off here but for the mention of gently caress, i love how past incubus just creeps into focus

bearer of the word Flame, god of the seven part world

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

petty witch posted:

i really, really like the whole composition of the latest ksbd update and i could say such an obnoxious number of words about it that im actively heading myself off here but for the mention of gently caress, i love how past incubus just creeps into focus

get back to the K6BD thread! this is the webcomics thread for liking webcomics in, you can't talk about good webcomics here

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
qc owns right now imo, jeph is flexing enormous power

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

petty witch posted:

qc owns right now imo, jeph is flexing enormous power
I'm glad he hasn't forgotten about Fleshy Melon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

petty witch posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons is so good and I like this revelation that Maya really was a massive dumbass who was too arrogant to listen to the greatest sword fighter alive.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons is so good and I like this revelation that Maya really was a massive dumbass who was too arrogant to listen to the greatest sword fighter alive.

On the other hand, if she had REALLY listened to Meti, she would have become a noodle seller and then died or been enslaved in the process of the destruction of the Yellow City.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The sanctioned action is to Cut... pasta noodles.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

reignonyourparade posted:

On the other hand, if she had REALLY listened to Meti, she would have become a noodle seller and then died or been enslaved in the process of the destruction of the Yellow City.

Look, Meti cuts things she doesn't see the future.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

unlucky boy

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

The sanctioned action is to Cut... pasta noodles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/b3mizc/this_noodle_process/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How is Strong Female Protagonist doing these days

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

The writer and artist are 'still working on making the final chapter is should be.'

Clevin.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Burkion posted:

Never been better!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Burkion posted:

Either officially cancelled or on infinite hiatus (i.e. cancelled) due to the writer and artist now having actual jobs in separate things. The usual.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Jobs, the greatest threat to webcomics.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd say being bad is a big threat to webcomics too, but the jury is still out on that one given some of the comics that have survived over the years

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd say being bad is a big threat to webcomics too, but the jury is still out on that one given some of the comics that have survived over the years

Yeah I don't know how you could possibly say this when so many great webcomics die in the crib and the mediocre-to-terrible ones continue, unchanged and uninspired, for decades.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think we can safely say that quality has no apparent relation to webcomic longevity, positive or negative.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the good ones generally are written with a plot and/or a general sense of project management in mind, and end in a reasonable timeframe once they've accomplished what they set out to do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

True. I mean stuff like Twokinds is right there disproving that theorem, sadly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

True. I mean stuff like Twokinds is right there disproving that theorem, sadly.

That loving comic is still going? What could possibly be happening in it at this point?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also heavily subjective what counts as a "successful" webcomic. If success means continuing on forevermore, of course it's going to favor blander things that can be extended indefinitely without any growing pains as the drama gets drawn out for years.

Not every webcomic ends in burnout or ghosting. A fair amount just finish up their stories and they're over with. Some get cut short when the creator gets an opportunity to move on to better things. I don't expect all webcomickers want to be doing their webcomics to the end of time anyways. It's fine for there to be an attrition of old webcomics so long as it's not ruining people.

If you qualify "success" as managing to make a lot of money off of things, then it's the same as any other business. Draw in an audience, keep their attention, and try to maneuver that into some way of making money. It's no surprise that skilled artists or writers often lack keen business skills. Turning a hobby into a job isn't easy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nevermind that, KEENSPOT is still going? And they're making... Uh...

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nevermind that, KEENSPOT is still going? And they're making... Uh...

:stare:

I burst out laughing because it's such a juvenile, dumb idea.