Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED

Quidthulhu posted:

First squad of Necrons, up and running! These guys were a blast to paint, can't wait to throw more of their friends together. Had a lot of fun experimenting with the basing and glowing crystals, too! Pretty happy overall with how these all turned out~

The glowing cryrals look awesome! Oh crap top of page, here's an old pic of a Minotaur I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Duct Tape posted:

Finished my first Space Marine today. The mini itself has been done for over a week, and I've just been waiting to do the base. Was damned fun to paint this guy, but airbrushing marble on such a tiny mini was tricky. Now I have to stop procrastinating and finish painting my Knight Gallant!

This dude looks like he’s about to come out of my Internet browser and murder me. He’s loving awesome.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

Finished my first Space Marine today. The mini itself has been done for over a week, and I've just been waiting to do the base. Was damned fun to paint this guy, but airbrushing marble on such a tiny mini was tricky. Now I have to stop procrastinating and finish painting my Knight Gallant!

His eyes... his eyes...

https://twitter.com/MrPlinkett/status/1107476472925696000

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Finished a drone for Infinity today. Struggled a lot with the glow/fire effects. After redoing it twice, I'm ok with it, but mostly I don't want to mess with it anymore.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Got a nice airbrush coming, who is the best YouTube guy to watch to learn technique who doesn't have a trash personality or the rambling disease?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Mugaaz posted:

Finished a drone for Infinity today. Struggled a lot with the glow/fire effects. After redoing it twice, I'm ok with it, but mostly I don't want to mess with it anymore.

Very nice NMM effects!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Got a nice airbrush coming, who is the best YouTube guy to watch to learn technique who doesn't have a trash personality or the rambling disease?

Probably Vince Venturella, but you'll have to pick through his Hobby Cheating playlist to find the ones that focus on airbrush techniques. Next Level Painting is also really good but the dude's personality is awful. I usually watch on mute with captions which makes it bearable.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Has anyone decanted GW paints into dropper bottles lately? I’m looking for a decent source for the bottles themselves, and it seems many of the droppers available on say Amazon have at least a few reports of low quality. I’d be much obliged if anyone could point me to a source they’ve used and are happy with.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
I’ve used “Modelcraft 17 ml 1-Piece Dropper Bottles” from Amazon (UK) to decant to. They’re exactly the same as Scale75 droppers, good quality but maybe a little pricey.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I use these 20ml bottles as they give a bit more capacity that can fit transferring P3 paints as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What kind of recipe would you guys use to get a muted, brownish yellow like this guy:

It looks like a cadmium-ish yellow with a cooler tone and almost a really faint hint of green in the highlights? And the brown shading might have a tiny bit of purple in it, but I can't tell if that's just the lighting / my monitor.

A lot of Imperial Fist stuff is too bright for my tastes but I dig this cooler, more desaturated tone and I'd like to try something similar next time I work with yellow.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Just paint yellow over black and it will be ultra desaturated.I don't see any green or purple myself.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Mugaaz posted:

Just paint yellow over black and it will be ultra desaturated.I don't see any green or purple myself.

Yellow over black will almost always look like poo poo, both because of the many layers it'll take to build up a consistent color and because most blacks have a bit of blue in them, which will turn the yellows to green.

I would start with something like a burnt umber or a dark tan basecoat, and build up with a yellow ochre color, or possibly scale75 sahara yellow.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I still cannot get basic loving ink washes to work, I got tide marks again, I am the goddamn worst at this.

What, if anything, will fix this? Drybrushing the original shade? Giving him another coat of the original shade? Just giving up and hoping that between the transfers covering up most of his shoulders and the varnish smoothing everything it won't look that bad?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

CapnAndy posted:

I still cannot get basic loving ink washes to work, I got tide marks again, I am the goddamn worst at this.

What, if anything, will fix this? Drybrushing the original shade? Giving him another coat of the original shade? Just giving up and hoping that between the transfers covering up most of his shoulders and the varnish smoothing everything it won't look that bad?

Unfortunately that's just how washes are generally gonna look on something like power armour with lots of smooth surfaces. You can go back with the original blue and neaten up any raised areas, but your best bet is to do it as a pin wash rather than all over, i.e. just paint the shade directly in to the recesses.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, washes don't tend to do well in spaces where there isn't any texture for them to interact with.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Skails posted:

These guys looks like they have a solid clean base coat. To push them further you could try some edge high-lighting. A little runefang steel or other bright metal on the metallic bits and some medium grey for the black parts. I'm sure someone could recommend a good citadel or other paint color for edging black. Then pick out some high-lights on the faces, cheek, nose, brow with kislev flesh mixed with your base color and the skull mask with similarly with something like ushabti bone. If you don't have those colors and don't want to buy them mix your base brown color with a little bit of white and red for flesh highlight and base brown with a little bit of white and yellow for bone highlights. Then work the color up by sight.

320 grit sandpaper with give you a pretty smooth surface, but it seems like your problem might have more to do with spreading around the glue. I don't use the tamiya glue but from what I understand you should be able to just touch the glue to the surface and it will be pulled into the join by capillary action. Also only using the glue in your shed may be a little unnecessary unless you have some specific health problems associated with it (and at that point you might want to stick to push fit models). Pretty sure most of the posters here will use the glue wherever they are doing their hobby stuff. I don't think using it briefly in your home is gonna do long term physical damage.

Here an example of its use:
https://youtu.be/RyVWsqp__pE?t=781
There is quite a bit of build and assembly stuff in that video you will probably find useful.

The weather is getting better around here, so I could open up a window and work on it inside. I wear a disposable respirator while doing the gluing as well. What I worry about more is the glue not dispersing outside and stinking up the room. I also have two cats, and I worry about them getting ill from the odor (obviously I can keep them out of the room while I work on it, but still, it's a concern to me). I'll look into trying it inside at some point, though.

Odd question, but I was wondering if there's certain steps to take when it comes to doing models/painting. After the Dreadnought and Blood Angels, I have the Start Collecting Skitarii box to put together, which means I'd be doing a non-push-fit vehicle (the Dunecrawler) and a elite/HQ mini (the Tech Priest). What I'm wondering is (provided SOBs haven't released at that point) what I should try next. I figured the next thing I'd do would be some kind of terrain, or maybe a flier.

My reason for asking is because at some point, I'd like to work my way up to doing something more advanced, like something from ForgeWorld, or the simple version of the Titan (the $150 plastic one, not the $1000 resin one.)

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

S.J. posted:

Yeah, washes don't tend to do well in spaces where there isn't any texture for them to interact with.

Exactly this, washes are meant for recess shading. If you want to use it on something like power armor you're going to need to paint it in. It is possible to use them over flat surfaces, but you need to feather out the edges and it needs to be done very quickly. You can get some really cool effects with it very quickly, but if you take too long you will get a "coffee ring" that is nigh impossible to remove. Better off just glazing instead.

Also, the way you used it isn't really wrong. You can do it that way, but you need to go back in with the base color and go back over the majority of the raised sections. That is a quick way to get all the slightly lower areas darker very quickly with minimal effort.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Spent tonight getting my evil trees painted up. Having a ball with these guys!

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Spent tonight getting my evil trees painted up. Having a ball with these guys!

What are those from? Those are awesome evil trees! I want to have a bunch of those hanging out in pots in my house.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

You've sculpted those yourself, right? They're super neat!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

crazystray posted:

What are those from? Those are awesome evil trees! I want to have a bunch of those hanging out in pots in my house.

They look to be Citadel trees with the bottoms replaced with sculpted tentacles. They look drat good!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm making some custom objective markers (various boxes made out of Milliput) that I'm going to base with Martian Ironearth, but how should I go about weathering the boxes, so that they look like they've been outside for a while? I'd guess there'll be some drybrushing involved, but what colours go with the reddish-brown of Ironearth?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Bulbasaur has some nice weathering tutorials on his website https://www.powerfisted.com/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bulbasaur is an anime powered scoundrel, please don't give him web traffic.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Maybe a dumb question, but I was reading a few tutorials that kept bringing up using a wash as a glaze, and I'm kinda confused as to what that means. Is it just wiping most of the wash off before applying it so that you get a really controlled effect that doesn't pool in the recesses, or is there some additive involved? And what would be the reason for specifically using a wash instead of just thinning down a similarly colored paint to glaze with instead?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Washes are already about the right consistency to use as glazes. Just get a very small amount on your brush so it stays where you brush it on rather than flowing into recesses.

You can use pretty much any paint as a glaze, but some will start to break down before reaching glaze consistency so you'll need to add some acrylic medium. Less opaque paints/darker colors tend to work better in my experience, probably since a lot of lighter colors have white pigment added for coverage.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress anyone who can paint better than me imo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eifert Posting posted:

gently caress anyone who can paint better than me imo.

Yeah, this!

Also gently caress anybody with good painting motivation this poo poo takes me forever.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, this!

Also gently caress anybody with good painting motivation this poo poo takes me forever.

Just Paint Every Day!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

TTerrible posted:

Bulbasaur is an anime powered scoundrel, please don't give him web traffic.

I don't know about that, but the zoom effect on those tiles gives me vertigo, and makes me queasy.

Also, those tutorials are ever-so-slightly excessive. I'll keep them in mind for when I want to make a bad-rear end "Behold mortals, and tremble!" model to show off just how much better I am than anyone else, but I'm not really willing to put that much effort into making some goofy objective markers :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Well yeah I was mostly thinking about the scratchings and similar :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, this!

I suck at painting miniatures, but it hasn't stopped me from staying motivated to keep going. As long as I can keep finding new figures to paint that I think are awesome, i'll keep going and keep throwing money down this endless pit.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I suck at painting miniatures, but it hasn't stopped me from staying motivated to keep going. As long as I can keep finding new figures to paint that I think are awesome, i'll keep going and keep throwing money down this endless pit.

Ain't that the truth.

Plastic crack, not even once.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The danger is when you become satisfied just from purchasing them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there any reason I shouldn't prime my minis with them on the GW painting handle? I can't imagine it would harm it, but at the same time I don't want to have to buy another one.

unrelated - Took a bit of a break from painting the last 2 weeks or so, but now I'm running the risk of not having all my poo poo painted for my next slow grow league, so... Work in progress Knight Incantor! Feels good to paint again :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

The danger is when you become satisfied just from purchasing them.

In the next month I plan on going down the paint rabbit hole. I really want to expand my collection of Citadel paints and then move onto P3 paints.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

What's the magic technique for applying weathering pigments and fixing them? I'm trying to get a dusty dried mud effect and it looks just right after dusting on the pigments, however after using AK fixer it really seemed to just remove the effect I wanted. Would it be a better idea just to hit the model with an airbrush varnish coat?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There isn't really a way to preserve the just dusted look :(

Best method I've seen is kind of stippling/jabbing with fixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I've not tried it, but would airbrushing fixer using a really light PSI keep it in place without ruining the effect?