Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nephzinho posted:

So what do y'all think of rare redrafting?

Why bother drafting when you could crack some packs and bet the contents on hands of poker?

If you wanted to make it actually interesting you could then play games with the resulting decks.

That actually sounds like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I mean, Poker is a pretty Spike-orientated game, isn’t it? You’re not exactly going to pull off a sick combo to win.

I can see how wagering would make a difference for me, at least, because it makes the individual hands in the game all matter, whereas otherwise I just start doing stupid things because I find it more fun than the actual game. I guess that’s the key for me; the incentive is needed so that my brain believes “playing well” is the most interesting thing it could be doing. I wish this wasn’t the case; my brain sucks

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nephzinho posted:

So what do y'all think of rare redrafting?

I raredrafted the ace of spades after winning our for fun Magic poker league.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vegetables posted:

I mean, Poker is a pretty Spike-orientated game, isn’t it? You’re not exactly going to pull off a sick combo to win.

I can see how wagering would make a difference for me, at least, because it makes the individual hands in the game all matter, whereas otherwise I just start doing stupid things because I find it more fun than the actual game. I guess that’s the key for me; the incentive is needed so that my brain believes “playing well” is the most interesting thing it could be doing. I wish this wasn’t the case; my brain sucks

This is actually how most human brains work

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
You open a pack of cards, and then bet the commons on who has the more expensive rare. If you lose, they get the commons AND your rare!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Get this: imagine a game played on a board, but, bear with me here, you play to the best of your abilities anyway because you want to win.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chill la Chill posted:

Get this: imagine a game played on a board, but, bear with me here, you play to the best of your abilities anyway because you want to win.

wait, you mean that you could PRETEND that these things mean money?

and those people I see on tv are just ACTING? they're so good at it!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

But how does this apply to poker??? Please don't start a new derail.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why are mommy and daddy fighting?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

Why are mommy and daddy fighting?

Because mommy and daddy play to win and never ID.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

But how does this apply to poker??? Please don't start a new derail.

the real issue with poker is that it's not a very good game and it only becomes a decent-ish game when the stakes are high enough to force people to play well because its really only at that point that it becomes anything other than just "lets see who got dealt the best hand!"

there are games that are fun to play just for the fun of playing the game and don't require people to take it seriously; poker is not one of them

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
is there a bridge thread

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because mommy and daddy play to win and never ID.

I've been offered an ID once at a PTQ in the last round and I declined because I had very slim odds to make too eight. I won the match but places ninth. Oh well, I sold the half-box of Return to Ravnica that I won for $60 and moved the gently caress on with my life.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait can you play for brownie points? Maybe you could obnoxiously explain it 16 more times as though it has any bearing on my point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Wotc, can you print a hexproof 1/1 for u please? Thx

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Wotc, never print anything with hexproof ever again pls, thx

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Sickening posted:

Wotc, can you print a hexproof 1/1 for u please? Thx

Bogles my mind how that hasn't happened yet

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ada posted:

Bogles my mind how that hasn't happened yet

I mean, its hybrid but I need another one that is either hybrid or blue.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

evilweasel posted:

the real issue with poker is that it's not a very good game and it only becomes a decent-ish game when the stakes are high enough to force people to play well because its really only at that point that it becomes anything other than just "lets see who got dealt the best hand!"

there are games that are fun to play just for the fun of playing the game and don't require people to take it seriously; poker is not one of them

It's more that the way poker is played is enormously dependent on people conveying information with how they value their wagers, and if the wagers are worth nothing then there is next to zero information being conveyed. Is the guy shoving because he still values winning and has a great hand, or is he shoving because he just wants to play a hand? Without any real information to be exchanged between players, it gets pretty boring fast.

I remember way back when PITR was still a subforum (RIP :smith:) there was a contest between two posters on who would get to $100 dollars faster, a player starting from zero dollars and having no choice but to play freerolls to build his initial bankroll (freerolls are tournaments that cost literally nothing to play, and have tiny payouts for the winners) or a guy collecting cans and turning them in for change. Spoilers, both posters dropped out and disappeared. Poker without stakes is one of the most mind numbing things you can possibly do.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A big flaming stink posted:

It's more that the way poker is played is enormously dependent on people conveying information with how they value their wagers, and if the wagers are worth nothing then there is next to zero information being conveyed. Is the guy shoving because he still values winning and has a great hand, or is he shoving because he just wants to play a hand? Without any real information to be exchanged between players, it gets pretty boring fast.

I remember way back when PITR was still a subforum (RIP :smith:) there was a contest between two posters on who would get to $100 dollars faster, a player starting from zero dollars and having no choice but to play freerolls to build his initial bankroll (freerolls are tournaments that cost literally nothing to play, and have tiny payouts for the winners) or a guy collecting cans and turning them in for change. Spoilers, both posters dropped out and disappeared. Poker without stakes is one of the most mind numbing things you can possibly do.

Okay but perhaps you didn't know that you could play for funsies

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

Commander? War of the Sparks planeswalkers? Both?

Hard to say but dear god I missed the boat on this one :negative:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like to think of it as teaching her character, and how to lose graciously.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have a bunch of situations I'm considering, please tell me which ones are "real poker" and which ones are "gently caress it I'll call" tia

- we each pay ten bucks, get ten bucks worth of chips, then at the end of the night we split the money up based on how many chips each player ended up with
- same, but we don't pay anything, all the money comes from the one guy in the group who thought poker wasn't interesting without anything on the line
- we each pay ten bucks, get the same number of chips, and play until only one person has any chips left. the winner gets forty bucks and the last person eliminated gets twenty.
- same, but the winner gets all sixty bucks and everyone else gets nothing.
- same, but instead of a cash prize, the winner gets a tin medal that marks them as the winner of our weekly poker night
- same, but instead of a tangible item the winner just gets the esteem and respect that is due to them as the winner of our weekly poker night

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Owlbear Camus posted:

your deck seems like bullshit tbh

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jesus Christ are you guys still arguing about poker poo poo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

poker? drat near killed her!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

your deck seems like bullshit tbh

Well that is an important lesson too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Owlbear Camus posted:

Getting your kid into EDH smdh

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean it is, but that the kind of poo poo that would put me off playing EDH for months.

My playgroup is trying out new decks and we've decided on trying to keep decks to around 1-125 bucks when put into MTGGoldfish to keep them close to even power level. This is my new idea:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1723842#paper

I really wanted to find a card where you could like Dubious Challenge things from the graveyard to give people a Phage but I don't think a card like that exists yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Magus of the moat? Did your childs deck even have flying creatures?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chill la Chill posted:

have you considered that avoiding playing to the best of your abilities is the real way to win, socially?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean it is, but that the kind of poo poo that would put me off playing EDH for months.

If you get het up about mono-white fat angels, I have bad news for you about the rest of EDH.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sickening posted:

Magus of the moat? Did your childs deck even have flying creatures?

I think there's like one cat spirit or something. And removal!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

C-Euro posted:

Getting your kid into EDH smdh

call CPS

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
edh is for people who actually enjoy playing magic

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Framboise posted:

edh is for people who don't actually enjoy playing magic

Fixed

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
mtg but instead of 20 life they cut off a finger or toe

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

dragon enthusiast posted:

mtg but instead of 20 life they cut off a finger or toe

you ask if your opponent wants to draw so that neither of you will lose any digits, but they are like "I came to play"

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

nah, i stand by what i said

i know this thread has a hate-on for edh but tbh i have way more fun playing it than any other format

and tbh it doesn't feel like many people in this thread actually enjoy magic as much as they love bitching about things they don't like in magic

like for real i don't think i can remember the last actual positive inter-person interaction i've seen in this thread but folks like owlbear camus are good people because i enjoy seeing him talk about bonding with his kid over magic and seeing her obviously having a blast playing it

tl;dr: tbh honestly the constant negativity in this thread is exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

If you get het up about mono-white fat angels, I have bad news for you about the rest of EDH.

EDH is fun, because it is multiplayer legacy where you can play your ponder and brainstorm along side of things that cost more than 3 mana.
I wish the vintage fast mana would be banned though.

But yeah, if watching people lose to once standard trash upsets you then I dunno.