Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Caller ID and *69 always existed, the phone companies just didn't have the incentive to give the common person access to them until people started asking why they didn't have them.

Also, I've a feeling MS is trying to add poo poo to DirectX to give their next console more marketing buzzwords.

They're scared shitless that people will just go with Vulkan and then suddenly they're not locked into MSworld anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The fact that older-gen GPUs will be getting low-level raytracing support is great; I'm looking forward to when raytracing is so commonplace that it's viable to make games that actually have gameplay built around it. Like, spotting realtime reflections of enemies on surfaces or gameplay built around ambient light changes somehow. (Also, what the proliferation of the low-end version of raytracing tech is gonna do for indie atmospheric horror games in particular is something I'm really looking forward to.)

Nvidia is being stingy with its tech for the time being but you just know that AMD gpus are gonna have it too in the near future.

Anyway, I remember how a lot of people said that buying strictly FOR rtx 'this generation' would be a hard-skip....but nvidia just effectively retconned the last generation of GPUs to offer what amounts to first-generation raytracing. In a roundabout way, RTX gpus are now the 'second gen' of the tech.

Also - if you liked RTX in metro; last light, I think people are really going to dig RTX in Atomic Heart, which is a much more colorful and weird game with all kinds of wonky designs that would be helped by RTX ambient pretties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IIiQZw_p_E

There's all kinds of wild lighting & reflections worked directly into the a lot of the characters and environments that's gonna look oh so pretty. Being able to use a low-end version of it on last-gen GTX GPUs will greatly help the game's feel for a lot of people.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 19, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Argh I’m vapor locked trying to choose what brand/model of an rtx 2070 to get. The msi armor oc is on for a good price on amazon, while the gigabyte windforce is cheaper available locally. These options change almost daily with what is in stock or on sale with evga and asus also in the mix.

Need a brand matrix with who has the best cooling, quality, customer support etc.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I bought a EVGA GTX 1080 TI Black Edition from a miner on Ebay for like $425 back in September and today the card is all kinds of hosed up temps, throttling all over the place.

Called 24/7 support and 5 minutes later EVGA issued a ticket number and I can send it in.👌RMA😉 They really are super easy to deal with.

Thank god bought from EVGA and holy poo poo there might be a chance I get a 2080 if they dont have anymore 1080 ti.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 19, 2019

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Looking forward to see how Quake 2 RTX will run on my 1070. Won't run that well I am sure but hey, it will run. That game's at least so old that the majority of the card can fully devote itself to raytracing. It will at least show me what neat things raytracing can do. And that's probably the whole point - to give you a low fps glimpse of :pcgaming:THE FUTURE:pcgaming:.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

priznat posted:

Argh I’m vapor locked trying to choose what brand/model of an rtx 2070 to get. The msi armor oc is on for a good price on amazon, while the gigabyte windforce is cheaper available locally. These options change almost daily with what is in stock or on sale with evga and asus also in the mix.

Need a brand matrix with who has the best cooling, quality, customer support etc.

I'm a big fan of MSI Gaming X models, for whatever that's worth (not much)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used to be a big fan of the MSI Gaming models (X/Z is just increased default clocks when a regular Gaming exists, sometimes they're equally expensive though) and had them for a GTX 980, 960 and 1050 Ti, but they really charge a lot for their best cooler nowadays. Like "you can almost buy the next higher tier of card" much, and that's not worth it to many. Asus does the same with their Strix line. The Asus Strix coolers are great since they redesigned them for the 1080 Ti, but they're also excessively expensive.

But since I'm trying to cram my next GPU into a Dan A4 I need to find the best SFF-compatible card and sadly that's not those 3-slot monstrosities :(

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJMim4piOVk

Lordy. Hopefully released to the public next month.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

priznat posted:

I've never been happier with a video card than with my new ASUS with the Strix cooler -- it is silent, and that's awesome. Replaced a 980 Ti Windforce that spun up the fans even in relatively undemanding games.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
On the other hand Gigabyte's windforce cards always worked very well for me. Both are probably very good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It really sounds like

1) can’t really go wrong with asus/msi/evga/gigabyte
2) just get the cheaper one unless you really need it with fancy lights and pre overclocked

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You can definitely go wrong with Asus Duals or MSI Armors (or whatever they call their lowest end, craptastic cooler this year)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok append 3) get the tri fans on most except evga

I had read the msi armor coolers were good, and very quiet tho.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The EVGA XC Ultra cooler is downright ridiculous. Nearly 3 slots wide and the cores of this 2080 never bump past ~67-68C under full load. I don't even hear it where I would hear my 3 fan 980Ti Strix as the custom fan curve I had for it ramped it up a little more than stock. Stock would let it hit 80C where my custom curve tried to keep things in the 70's or lower. Also the fans would turn on/off at idle since I had that dual monitor/gpu not going to idle clock bug most of the time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the new MSI Armor coolers are good. Armor is their "medium tier" card now (about where the non-X/Z gaming models used to be in terms of performance I think), their low cost SKU is the Ventus nowadays. The bad reputation comes from when they released a lower end GTX 1080 Ti with the armor cooler which they mostly copied over from the 1070/1080 so it was super underpowered.

With most "normal" size open air coolers you can't go wrong (a handful exceptionally lovely designs excluded, always try to find reviews for the card you buy :v:), it just depends on how much you want to spend. Even a MSI Ventus/Asus Dual/Gigabyte Windforce can be alright if it's cheap and you don't mind the lower (out of the box) performance, limited OC potential and louder operation under load. Also, the RTX 2070 doesn't really need a tri-fan card and three tiny fans can be louder than two large, slower ones. Skip blower designs and mini cards unless you specifically need them (blowers to stack them in some workstation except SLI is dead, and mini cards if you're trying to build a portable small form factor PC).

Also in the US there's the question about warranty which is why everyone in these threads goes "BUY EVGA IT'S THE BESTEST" but if you're in Europe it doesn't matter at all, here you can basically get what's cheap/fast/looks cool to you.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 19, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You might be able to go wrong with an open air cooler. Zotac's 1080s looked like anyone else's, but they were loud and hot. Maybe their 2080s are improved, but it was a bad enough experience with the 1080 to scare me off from getting a Zotac card for a while.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://steamcommunity.com/app/750920/discussions/0/3362406825550848019/

RTX shadows and DLSS are finally live in Shadow of the Tomb Raider

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

craig588 posted:

You might be able to go wrong with an open air cooler. Zotac's 1080s looked like anyone else's, but they were loud and hot. Maybe their 2080s are improved, but it was a bad enough experience with the 1080 to scare me off from getting a Zotac card for a while.

My Zotac 1080 is so loving loud. I wear open back headphones while gaming and it constantly audible. It also averages 80 degrees in most games. I don't know if the fans actually do anything either. They weren't hitting max speed before I did some profile changes and I don't think it was really running all that much hotter. The cooler on the Amp! version is apparently pretty lovely.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

How are the Zotac 1060 Amp! 6gbs rated in that regard? My card seems to do just fine and I can't really hear it- though admittedly it does sit about 7 feet from where I use that PC

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

fknlo posted:

My Zotac 1080 is so loving loud. I wear open back headphones while gaming and it constantly audible. It also averages 80 degrees in most games. I don't know if the fans actually do anything either. They weren't hitting max speed before I did some profile changes and I don't think it was really running all that much hotter. The cooler on the Amp! version is apparently pretty lovely.

What I ended up doing was removing the shroud and fans and using some Noctuas in their place. Much quieter and performs better. Probably any leftover fans you have would be an improvement over the stock ones.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I know a lot of manufacturers are giving away Battlefield V, Metro and Anthem with RTX cards, so my question is if I choose Metro, can I get a Steam key or does it have to be through the Epic store?

I don't think I can redeem the key to see without using it, and if I can't get Metro I figure I'll just do some login finagling and get my friend BFV (I already have BFV and Anthem).

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

How are the Zotac 1060 Amp! 6gbs rated in that regard? My card seems to do just fine and I can't really hear it- though admittedly it does sit about 7 feet from where I use that PC

There is a huge difference between a ~120W card and the big chips (or 580/590's lol) going on 200W.
For a ref clock x60 you can buy whatever yeah, but please spend the few $ more on something good and well reviewed to handle more Watts.
I have to set a power target of -30% (185W to 130) on my Asus Dual 580 to not wanna kill myself playing demanding games. With a smart underclock you don't lose performance, thankfully.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 19, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Man, this is me right now too.

The MSI Armor OC, EVGA XC Ultra, MSI Gaming Z and MSI Duke are all within $50 of each other, that’s NZD though. Duke is 3 fans and will only just (1mm clearance) fit in my case so it’s probably down to one of the others?

Any of these just bad?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Statutory Ape posted:

Nevermind, I have the mini, not the Amp.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/750920/discussions/0/3362406825550848019/

RTX shadows and DLSS are finally live in Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Sure. Only six months after I stopped playing the game.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Man, this is me right now too.

The MSI Armor OC, EVGA XC Ultra, MSI Gaming Z and MSI Duke are all within $50 of each other, that’s NZD though. Duke is 3 fans and will only just (1mm clearance) fit in my case so it’s probably down to one of the others?

Any of these just bad?

Armor is not great - it’s hotter and louder than most other open air coolers. The Duke also wasn’t so great in previous generations, but I haven’t seen reviews this time around. Ultra XC or Gaming should be good! Prefer factory-overclocked versions for the binned chips.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have a Duke 1080. The default fan curve is poo poo but once you fix that in afterburner, card stays cool with reasonable noise production.

The real problem is that castrated BIOS. The power limit maxes out at only 105% so I can't get beyond 2GHz on the dot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m leaning towards a Gigabyte Aorus rtx 2070 (non xtreme) because it is only $20 more than the windforce. Any reason to go an extra 30 up to the xtreme?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Stickman posted:

Armor is not great - it’s hotter and louder than most other open air coolers. The Duke also wasn’t so great in previous generations, but I haven’t seen reviews this time around. Ultra XC or Gaming should be good! Prefer factory-overclocked versions for the binned chips.

My brother has the msi armor 2070 and it's noise levels are just fine. Not sure how many variants they have this time around just for their armor line up tho so maybe some are silent and some are not?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Random question: I notice that most 2070s now don't have DVI, which is the only digital input my monitor has. Will there be any issue using a displayport to DVI cable? I'm planning on getting a 1440p 27" monitor later on so it would only be for maybe 6 months.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

Random question: I notice that most 2070s now don't have DVI, which is the only digital input my monitor has. Will there be any issue using a displayport to DVI cable? I'm planning on getting a 1440p 27" monitor later on so it would only be for maybe 6 months.

If it's a monitor that requires Dual Link DVI (usually a cheap korean 27" panel) then you will need a more expensive adapter and may not get the overclock that it had originally. If it's just a regular monitor with DVI input then an inexpensive adapter should work fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

If it's a monitor that requires Dual Link DVI (usually a cheap korean 27" panel) then you will need a more expensive adapter and may not get the overclock that it had originally. If it's just a regular monitor with DVI input then an inexpensive adapter should work fine.

Yeah it's a Dell U2412M. So just 1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

I just checked and it seems like the EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter anyway.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stickman posted:

That's not actually true anymore, though? They're not making Armor versions of the RTX 2080/Ti (I'm guessing the Duke is covering the mid-tier niche between the high-end Gaming Trio and poo poo tier Ventus cards) and the RTX 2060 and 2070 Armor reviews I saw said the cooler was great (very silent under load and keeps the card cool for decent OC).

Char
Jan 5, 2013
How bad are blower cards? I read everywhere they're worse irt temperature and fan noise compared to open cards, but I can't realize how much.

I bought a new Zotac blower 2070 for like 150e less than the cheapest one, it's getting delivered today but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Char fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 20, 2019

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure. Only six months after I stopped playing the game.
I haven't even beaten the second yet. It's been so long I forgot why I stopped playing: the Geothermal Valley area ran like absolute poo poo.

Good thing I went from a 980 Ti to a 2080 Ti, so it could... run like absolute poo poo still. Made it past it, though, so maybe by the time I get to Tomb Raider 3 they'll have optimized RTX enough to be usable?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Char posted:

I bought a new Zotac blower 2070 for like 150e less than the cheapest one, it's getting delivered today but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

If you’ll find it unbearable you can always slap some aftermarket cooling on that card and still be ahead. Or get fancy with EVGA massive overkill hybrid AIO+blower kit.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

alex314 posted:

If you'll find it unbearable you can always slap some aftermarket cooling on that card and still be ahead. Or get fancy with EVGA massive overkill hybrid AIO+blower kit.

That's what I thought as well, but I'm usually playing with blaring speakers or headphones.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah it's a Dell U2412M. So just 1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

I just checked and it seems like the EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter anyway.

The U2412M has DisplayPort, or at least mine does...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just ordered an EVGA hybrid cooler for my 2080ti XC Ultra. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Red_Fred posted:

You can do HDMI to DVI with a passive cable.