Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

So much for my hope that with his free time, Bortles would show up in The Good-ish Place to antagonize Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

http://www.nbc12.com/2019/03/18/minor-league-baseball-team-holding-florida-man-night/

quote:

Minor league baseball team holding 'Florida Man Night'

By Jordan Smith | March 18, 2019 at 6:00 PM EST - Updated March 18 at 6:03 PM

JACKSONVILLE, FL (Gray News) - Florida is home to sunny days, orange trees, more than 1,000 miles of beautiful beaches, natural wonders, an absurd number of toll roads and some of the most bizarre headlines.
The Sunshine State gave us the case of the armless man accused of stabbing a tourist, the woman who was shot after performing a sex act for Pringles and $5, the man who was jailed after giving his girlfriend a wet willy and the woman who chased her parents with a knife when they refused to take her to Outback.
It's unclear how these stories make residents feel, but a minor league baseball team in Jacksonville is fully embracing the weird trouble Floridians often find themselves in.

The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp will celebrate "Florida Man Night" on July 26.

The Double-A affiliate of the Miami Marlins has been pretty tight lipped about the promotion. But they did promise Jacksonville will break a weird Florida law in every single inning.

God help us if the game is tied after nine innings.

"There will be a lawyer in the house," the team said on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/JaxShrimp/status/1103817470736023559

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Klungar posted:

So much for my hope that with his free time, Bortles would show up in The Good-ish Place to antagonize Jason.

On the plus side it could be really funny if Jason's anti-soulmate is a massive Rams fan who either loves the guy just as much or thinks he's a chump

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MaxieSatan posted:

On the plus side it could be really funny if Jason's anti-soulmate is a massive Rams fan who either loves the guy just as much or thinks he's a chump

Make it a Titan's fan and you have a storyline.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh, this is the Bad Place

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm listening to the good place podcast and it seemed like the host just did not like Manny Jacinto at ALL. Weirdly snarky especially after the glowing Jameela episode. Just me?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sloth Life posted:

I'm listening to the good place podcast and it seemed like the host just did not like Manny Jacinto at ALL. Weirdly snarky especially after the glowing Jameela episode. Just me?

I guess his character is pretty one note and if you don't like that note it doesn't work?
I mean at least for me all his jokes about Florida and stuff would absolutely fall flat if I didn't post on SA with so many Americans.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sloth Life posted:

Which episode? I don't recall getting that impression.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Klungar posted:

It could be Jason's mom

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

There won't be one, they're going to blow up that premise five minutes into the season premiere.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Klungar posted:

If anything wouldn't this make it more likely? Bortles betraying Jason by joining a different team would surely shatter him.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Kaedric posted:

If anything wouldn't this make it more likely? Bortles betraying Jason by joining a different team would surely shatter him.

The Rams weren’t in LA when he died right? Like someone tells him he plays for LA and he knows it’s not true because there’s no team in LA

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Kaedric posted:

I just meant, if he wasn't actively playing in the NFL, he'd have plenty of time for a cameo/guest appearance.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Toast Museum posted:

Which episode? I don't recall getting that impression.

It was chapter 4. Manny comes off as pretty humble and chill. There was a bit where he was singing Ted dansons praises and it felt like the host cut him off really abruptly with "done that already". I dunno it seemed off. I don't normally have great social cues so ymmv

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Taear posted:

I guess his character is pretty one note and if you don't like that note it doesn't work?
I mean at least for me all his jokes about Florida and stuff would absolutely fall flat if I didn't post on SA with so many Americans.

it was funny for the first two seasons, his character was nigh on unbearable in the third and the episode about his dad was absolute stinking trash

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What kind of maniac doesn't like Donkey Doug

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Arist posted:

What kind of maniac doesn't like Donkey Doug

Pillboi was better, but Donkey Dad Doug was pretty good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Chadzok posted:

it was funny for the first two seasons, his character was nigh on unbearable in the third and the episode about his dad was absolute stinking trash

oh hey it's a post from The Bad Place

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
The problem with Jason is that he's way more just a Joke Machine character than anyone else. All of the other main characters have some amount of nuance and depth, and then Jason bursts into the scene and squeaks "I'm a adult baby!" and then breakdances and everyone claps and it's been three seasons of this already, please let him grow a little

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been p bored of Jason for nearly two seasons now, yeah. He's still very funny but the schtick wears thin when he barely grows as a character otherwise.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
his reveal in season 1 is one of the highlights of the whole series imo, comparable to Team Relevant from Person of Interest

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sloth Life posted:

It was chapter 4. Manny comes off as pretty humble and chill. There was a bit where he was singing Ted dansons praises and it felt like the host cut him off really abruptly with "done that already". I dunno it seemed off. I don't normally have great social cues so ymmv

I can see what you mean about that moment, but it didn't read that way for me. It sounded like Marc was laughing along with the others, etc, so I took it as just sort of an awkward way of saying "we all love Ted" rather than an attempt to cut Manny off.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

goons genuinely and earnestly saying that jason's character has no nuance or complexity :psyduck:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, I'm a little taken aback myself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have learned better than to troll, now that I am an adult, but if I was a troll I would post:

Jason at least has more personality than Eleanor. She doesn't do anything other than be a love interest for Chidi.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have learned better than to troll, now that I am an adult, but if I was a troll I would post:

Jason at least has more personality than Eleanor. She doesn't do anything other than be a love interest for Chidi.

We're all just season 2 Michael's in this world. Trying to be better, but also can't resist trolley probleming everyone if we get a chance.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I like to think Mike Schur is making a point that intelligence and knowledge aren't the be all and end all. Some people are smart and evil, some nice but dim and that makes them easily led. On the other hand he is a good supportive friend and son an innocent soul and he is often surprisingly right (I gotchu, dog is a case in point, she makes the bass drop in my heart is incredibly silly but also moving oh and he figured it's a prank show).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

goons genuinely and earnestly saying that jason's character has no nuance or complexity :psyduck:

It's not that, he's just one joke and a lot of that one joke is really American.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Taear posted:

It's not that, he's just one joke and a lot of that one joke is really American.

Donald Trump is the most American man who ever lived, that doesn't mean people outside the US don't understand why he's funny.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sorry, I don't get the appeal of Jason too. Actor's cute though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jason is just as one note as Chidi is, imo.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

FactsAreUseless posted:

thats the perfect thing for the grinch to say.

but really chidi is nothing more than a humanizing force for Eleanor

:goonsay:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Jason is a fantastic character in that he is so so very dumb but he's earnest and he's trying so hard.

I grew up with a guy who is basically Jason, except instead of a failed DJ he's been in a series of failed metal bands. He was seen by everybody was the neighborhood doofus because he was just always staggeringly dumb as poo poo, but unlike most of the other dumb people around he was a real good friend to have. Nice guy, never meant anyone harm in his dumb as poo poo schemes and he always had your back. I'm pretty sure his house has entirely sunk into the swamp now as well.

It's been a long time since we hung out as I've since moved across the country, but I will absolutely never forget this guy if only because of 9/11.

We were both in high school at the time, and classes were changing around the time between the second plane hitting the towers and them falling. Since cell phones weren't really a thing yet, most people including myself hadn't heard about anything going on. All I know is I was walking to gym class when my idiot friend ran up to me and shouted "YOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY BOMBED THE WORLD TRADE CENTER WITH PLANES DAWGG!!!" my reply was "man shut the gently caress up you're high."

I didn't find out he was right until about 2 hours later.

I don't know what is it, but it's downright refreshing to have someone around who is so dumb. Sometimes they can see things from a new angle or make a surprisingly astute observation (is this a prank show?) and if anything, something that they say or do will become a story you'll remember. The Good Place writers somehow nailed that perfect mix of complete moron with sincere honesty.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
jason is as nuanced as the other main characters, he's just louder

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

luxury handset posted:

jason is as nuanced as the other main characters, he's just louder

...about how he processes things.

Eventually, he (kind of) understands he's not taking an Ethnics class.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tristesse posted:

Jason is a fantastic character in that he is so so very dumb but he's earnest and he's trying so hard.

I grew up with a guy who is basically Jason, except instead of a failed DJ he's been in a series of failed metal bands. He was seen by everybody was the neighborhood doofus because he was just always staggeringly dumb as poo poo, but unlike most of the other dumb people around he was a real good friend to have. Nice guy, never meant anyone harm in his dumb as poo poo schemes and he always had your back. I'm pretty sure his house has entirely sunk into the swamp now as well.

yeah, i think the reason i have a soft spot for him is that have known a lot of Jasons during my life. i have known many dudes who weren't born into any privilege, and maybe they weren't the most educated or most talented, but deep down they were kind people who believed in trying to do the right thing, even if they messed up a lot

i can understand for non americans it might seem like jason has no nuance but maybe think about how you come across when you say that. it just sounds like smug elitism to me hearing someone say "heh but this character only has one joke", when it's clear the person saying this is just mentally writing off the entire character as "one-note stereotype of X culture, bo-ring" instead of actually caring to learn about the cultural commentary that the character represents

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The issue isn't that people dislike the archetype of the dumb sweet friend, it's that the character reached the end of his arc in season 1. His punchlines might vary a little, but there's no uncertainty with him, no chance of growth. Chidi and Eleanor are simply defined by their core struggles of Indecision and Selfishness, but they're both trying to overcome their nature. What's Jason working to overcome?

Compare him to Andy from Parks and Rec. Andy was a fuckup who slept in a pit, got a job, worked hard, got married, and became a success. We saw him slowly become more responsible and less selfish, integrating into his community, all while remaining dumb as a post.

Not being tormented by inner struggle is a great feature of real human beings, but not always in entertaining characters.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I think Jason has grown. He was a petty thief loser who died in a terribly thought out heist attempt. He has since married, started a dance troupe, helped donky dug and pillboi be better people, fallen in love with 2 women and gotten married. And learned some ethics.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Janet: not a woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Jason is trying to find his place in the world, and just because he ins't progressing in any measurable way doesn't mean he isn't learning and growing.

Also we still don't know who the bad place is going to send to gently caress with him. An old guy that Pillboi ODed? The DJ with the speedboat? Burt Reynolds?