Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of Game Boy Mario Games, Super Mario Land had these skeleton fish enemies that jumped up from the water. If they came up under you and hit your feet, they’d die.

Kid me thought that was absolutely hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

The original Wario Land was one of my favorite original GB games, but I never ended up playing any of the sequels. I'm beginning to think that was probably a terrible mistake.
All four Wario Lands are extremely good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of Game Boy Mario Games, Super Mario Land had these skeleton fish enemies that jumped up from the water. If they came up under you and hit your feet, they’d die.

The jumping fish in the original Super Mario also do this.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I vastly preferred Mario Land 2 when i was a kid just because it LOOKED more like a mario game but i gotta say going back and playing them now the gameplay of the first one holds up a lot better imo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FactsAreUseless posted:

All four Wario Lands are extremely good
I really hate Wario Land 3, but I can with full confidence* say that you could pick up and play WL2 right now and have a phenomenal time. The game hasn't aged at all and the structure is so good, it's a true shame it hasn't been copied to hell and back yet.

WL1 is a bit dated but really not bad for a GB platformer, WL4 is also great but you really gotta love obscure secrets and replaying it a bunch to get ALL the content. Amazing when it was new and I had it on GBA on a skiing trip for the long evening of aching muscles.

*I got it on 3DS virtual console last year and had a blast replaying

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Virtual Boy Wario Land was a legit great game for its time, but sadly stuck on one of the most cursed platforms in history.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I couldn't complete wario land 2 as a kid because I couldn't find the secret exit in escape from the factory. That level is burned into my brain and it's too painful to go back

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kennel posted:

Driver.

If you beat the garage, there's an entire campaign mode.
With a final mission that is technically possible to complete, but was never playtested because the developers were in such a rush to ship the game. I never got that far myself.

I still think the garage tutorial is not that difficult, but I have also won the cross-country races in GTA: San Andreas without scratching the car (on multiple occasions) and 100% completed Stuntman on the PS2 so there is a slight chance my experience isn't exactly representative of the actual difficulty. :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I couldn't complete wario land 2 as a kid because I couldn't find the secret exit in escape from the factory. That level is burned into my brain and it's too painful to go back
That one's a complete poo poo. Even as an adult, I got stumped all over again. You really have to just bash and smash every wall and floor.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I never beat Driver's tutorial as a kid either, but I think it was partially because you had to do slaloms or something and there was zero chance I would've known what the hell "slalom" even means.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Doc M posted:

With a final mission that is technically possible to complete, but was never playtested because the developers were in such a rush to ship the game. I never got that far myself.

I still think the garage tutorial is not that difficult, but I have also won the cross-country races in GTA: San Andreas without scratching the car (on multiple occasions) and 100% completed Stuntman on the PS2 so there is a slight chance my experience isn't exactly representative of the actual difficulty. :v:

I beat the Mafia racing mission, pre-patch, first attempt. My friends at the time thought I was full of poo poo, but I honestly didn't know what the issue was until years later, seeing videos on youtube. I'm not actually good at games, I probably just figured out the mafia physics early on and took it easy.

My favourite little thing at the moment is in Division 2, only having to craft a single weapon mod and then being able to use it as many times as you want. Because otherwise I wouldn't even bother modding weapons that were disposable every 2 missions. I also like that the shooting range has multiple ways to compare weapons: AOE/Single Target Time to Kill, Accuracy, Range and close DPS.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doc M posted:

This brings back the worst memory. My bestie and I both owned driver and were playing at the same time. Each day we would come into school and talk about how far we got. One weekend I visited his place and he was on the last mission. We played it for hours and hours and eventually he said to me "come on give it a try". Somehow against all odds I beat it. I actually managed to get the president home safely.

(I have the audio clip of 'Nice driving son' burned into my brain).

The next few months had me trying desperately to do the final mission on my own save. I never managed to complete the game ever again and gave up very, very frustrated. Learning over a decade later that the final level was not properly tested made sense because it is truly one of the most horrendous last levels of all time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'm not actually good at games, I probably just figured out the mafia physics early on and took it easy.
That is honestly a good strategy for every race mission in everything, and even for real racing because it doesn't matter how fast you drive if you don't stay on the road. As the extremely well-worn saying in motor racing goes, "To finish first, first you have to finish."

I did the Mafia race pre-patch as well. It was a bit of a pain in the rear end on the old Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad which obviously had no analog support of any kind, but I got there eventually.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Simply Simon posted:

I really hate Wario Land 3, but I can with full confidence* say that you could pick up and play WL2 right now and have a phenomenal time. The game hasn't aged at all and the structure is so good, it's a true shame it hasn't been copied to hell and back yet.

WL1 is a bit dated but really not bad for a GB platformer, WL4 is also great but you really gotta love obscure secrets and replaying it a bunch to get ALL the content. Amazing when it was new and I had it on GBA on a skiing trip for the long evening of aching muscles.

*I got it on 3DS virtual console last year and had a blast replaying

I liked Wario Land 3, it's the only one I've really played though. I liked how the treasures interacted and affected the levels in logical ways.

Also I'm grinding on my end-game save on Soul Blazer so that when the LP gets there I can just switch to the already levelled file, and I love that the healthbar for the main character works the same way as the boss health bars, in that after it goes to the edge of the screen it starts changing colour to show how much overflow it has. When fighting the bosses you need to take their hue down to light blue before the bar starts actually going down so I like that you can make the bosses do the same.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This is an extremely stupid little thing but I love the OOMPH that you get when you throw a switch or start some machinery in SOMA, like you're really working with a titanic contraption

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Samuringa posted:

This is an extremely stupid little thing but I love the OOMPH that you get when you throw a switch or start some machinery in SOMA, like you're really working with a titanic contraption

Frictional are masters of tactile feedback.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kanfy posted:

Virtual Boy Wario Land was a legit great game for its time, but sadly stuck on one of the most cursed platforms in history.

Omg yes that was wonderful 2.5D and it's a shame it can never be replayed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There are Virtual Boy emulators, and it wouldn't surprise me if VR headsets could replicate the 3D effects. Though to be honest for most games I don't recall the 3D being all that relevant. Certainly not in the Wario Land game, where IIRC it was limited to having two planes of gameplay, plus a few traps that swung in and out of plane.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Since we're on Game Boy chat, I've really been loving Metroid 2. It's less structured than the original NES game and instead functions as a sort of proto-Shadow of the Colossus with you hunting down 39 Metroids across the map which all take a variety of forms. This was a pretty good way of adjusting the formula to avoid how relatively lacking the original game was when it came to boss count and just major encounters in general (besides Mother Brain which was a really unique, awesome sequence), besides the obvious fact that it pads out the game. It's especially welcome since it immediately gives you a direction and goal versus how vague the original Metroid's instructions were, although like Legend of Zelda that was done deliberately to encourage a sense of discovery and exploration.

The map is smaller and somewhat more linear than the previous game, but I find it pretty ingenious that they decided to address this by adding more traversal options, like the Spider Ball that allows you to cling to surfaces in Morph Ball form. There may not be as many routes or elaborately constructed areas, but allowing you more methods to get around still makes exploration fun. Each area can span large spaces that can both be vertically and horizontally expansive, versus the original game where it was one or the other, so you can move around in large caves and installations.

There's a host of other small improvements, the jumping and movement feels more fluid and precise, you can shoot up and down now, Samus can actually crouch and hit enemies on the ground instead of having to haphazardly bomb them, the Ice Beam doesn't take twice as long to kill enemies, an actual save system is super nice of course, areas look more distinctive and unique so navigation via memory is easier (though the lack of ingame map is still balls) and all in all, I feel it's a pretty big improvement over what the original title established.

I'm curious to see what the remake is like.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
In Middle Earth: Shadow of War, I appreciate that the giant cat mounts can climb just as well as the PC can, making them the most useful mounts in any game that I’ve played recently. Now if only I could say the same for the dragon mounts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't the dragons...fly?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

There's two remakes, both worth checking out. The official Nintendo one is Metroid: Samus Returns, on the 3DS. And then there's an unofficial fangame called SR388, which is definitely up to Nintendo standards of quality.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Samuringa posted:

Can't the dragons...fly?

They can, but the controls are awkward, so it’s not as fun as riding a dragon should be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Since we're on Game Boy chat, I've really been loving Metroid 2. It's less structured than the original NES game and instead functions as a sort of proto-Shadow of the Colossus with you hunting down 39 Metroids across the map which all take a variety of forms. This was a pretty good way of adjusting the formula to avoid how relatively lacking the original game was when it came to boss count and just major encounters in general (besides Mother Brain which was a really unique, awesome sequence), besides the obvious fact that it pads out the game. It's especially welcome since it immediately gives you a direction and goal versus how vague the original Metroid's instructions were, although like Legend of Zelda that was done deliberately to encourage a sense of discovery and exploration.

The map is smaller and somewhat more linear than the previous game, but I find it pretty ingenious that they decided to address this by adding more traversal options, like the Spider Ball that allows you to cling to surfaces in Morph Ball form. There may not be as many routes or elaborately constructed areas, but allowing you more methods to get around still makes exploration fun. Each area can span large spaces that can both be vertically and horizontally expansive, versus the original game where it was one or the other, so you can move around in large caves and installations.

There's a host of other small improvements, the jumping and movement feels more fluid and precise, you can shoot up and down now, Samus can actually crouch and hit enemies on the ground instead of having to haphazardly bomb them, the Ice Beam doesn't take twice as long to kill enemies, an actual save system is super nice of course, areas look more distinctive and unique so navigation via memory is easier (though the lack of ingame map is still balls) and all in all, I feel it's a pretty big improvement over what the original title established.

Something that neither remake manages to maintain is the creepy, lo-fi atmosphere of the original. Game's impressive just for that alone.

Plus the lack of color gave us the Varia Suit's giant shoulder pads.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gann Jerrod posted:

In Middle Earth: Shadow of War, I appreciate that the giant cat mounts can climb just as well as the PC can, making them the most useful mounts in any game that I’ve played recently. Now if only I could say the same for the dragon mounts.

The dragons are I win buttons that stand out for their egregiousness in a game where like half the buttons are an I win button, in my experience.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...was the PSP version patched too? :suspense:

I'm afraid I don't know, sorry, I didn't think about PSP.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And then there's an unofficial fangame called SR388,

Do you mean AM2R? It looks like someone was making a game called SR388 but it was never finished.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Van Kraken posted:

Do you mean AM2R? It looks like someone was making a game called SR388 but it was never finished.

poo poo, you're right. :doh: Thanks for the correction!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I have mixed feelings about Metroid 2 because the claustrophobia of the tiny amount of real estate on the gameboy screen is both wonderfully thematic and a giant pain in the rear end.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been playing Monster Hunter: World lately, and I really appreciate the difficulty curve. I'm sticking to a strategy of soloing story missions and group hunting for materials, and so far, each monster in story mode feels like a significant increase in challenge while never feeling insurmountable. That makes beating each monster for the first time feel really satisfying.

Granted, someone's going to respond to this with "Just wait until you fight bullshit monster X, the curve goes right out the window."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OutOfPrint posted:

I've been playing Monster Hunter: World lately, and I really appreciate the difficulty curve. I'm sticking to a strategy of soloing story missions and group hunting for materials, and so far, each monster in story mode feels like a significant increase in challenge while never feeling insurmountable. That makes beating each monster for the first time feel really satisfying.

Granted, someone's going to respond to this with "Just wait until you fight bullshit monster X, the curve goes right out the window."

Short of accidentally running into post launch monsters like when I tried to take on deviljho I got a feeling of it being a steady curve upwards

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

The Capra Demon Mimic Griffin Rider is absolutely gonna hand you your rear end.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's two remakes, both worth checking out. The official Nintendo one is Metroid: Samus Returns, on the 3DS. And then there's an unofficial fangame called SR388, which is definitely up to Nintendo standards of quality.

Are you talking about AM2R? SR388 appears to have been canceled years ago.
AM2R has active development on https://www.reddit.com/r/AM2R/ and I cannot say enough good things about it.

e;fb

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The Capra Demon Mimic Griffin Rider is absolutely gonna hand you your rear end.

You just cheese this by throwing poop from outside the fog gate while invincibility framing your way through the boulders rolling down from the gargoyles :rolleyes:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
One of the companions you can recruit in Fallout: New Vegas is a cyborg dog with a long and checkered past, named Rex. You can't take him with you to the Old World Blues DLC, but one of the things you can find in it is a lab where they were working on cyberdog technology. While you're here, you can use the "splicing machine" to create another cyberdog, named Roxie. There's really no reason to do this - you can't take her to anywhere outside the lab, and she's pretty overmatched by the nearby enemies. But if you do and you've met Rex beforehand, you'll get an extra ending slide when you finish the DLC, narrated entirely by dog barking, of Rex and Roxie with their "puppies" (actually just the regular cyberdog model shrunk by 50%.) It's totally pointless and stupid, and most players will likely miss it. It's great!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

StandardVC10 posted:

One of the companions you can recruit in Fallout: New Vegas is a cyborg dog with a long and checkered past, named Rex. You can't take him with you to the Old World Blues DLC, but one of the things you can find in it is a lab where they were working on cyberdog technology. While you're here, you can use the "splicing machine" to create another cyberdog, named Roxie. There's really no reason to do this - you can't take her to anywhere outside the lab, and she's pretty overmatched by the nearby enemies. But if you do and you've met Rex beforehand, you'll get an extra ending slide when you finish the DLC, narrated entirely by dog barking, of Rex and Roxie with their "puppies" (actually just the regular cyberdog model shrunk by 50%.) It's totally pointless and stupid, and most players will likely miss it. It's great!

Is New Vegas the one where the dog is senile, and to cure him, you can’t actually cure him, so to make The King happy, you have to choose a brain to put in the body? If so, does your choice also change the slide?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Edit: wrong button

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Double Punctuation posted:

Is New Vegas the one where the dog is senile, and to cure him, you can’t actually cure him, so to make The King happy, you have to choose a brain to put in the body? If so, does your choice also change the slide?

Roxie's ending slide is not affected by how Rex's companion quest was completed, just that it was completed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Sekiro has a saturation slider in the graphics options, which is nice with an HDR display because you can really make it beamingly bright, and there’s a ton of wonderful color usage throughout.

And on the other side of the coin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQKGd8Z_hV4

Definitely doing a full play of the game like this at some point. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't gone explicitly cliff diving to check or anything but the few times I've fallen off the world in Sekiro it's just respawned me at the edge like "what, you fell? No way, you're a ninja, that doesn't seem right, I think you're just standing there". It's awesome and means that it's always fun to try exploring.