Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's kind of stupid to separate software and hardware in an integrated system like flight controls anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vomik posted:

It makes me sad that people who are writing “””self driving””” software also have this same opinion

What?

When people say software bug they're going to think of things like a BSOD or the Mars Climate Orbiter. Neither of things occurred with either crash but due to upstream system provide no data or bad data. The reason for these system existing was because of X, Y and Z.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lol this event rented out the ritz Carlton in Dana Point for 3 days. I imagine these are the people that make you people fly economy for 18 hours connecting through Moscow to save a buck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's kind of stupid to separate software and hardware in an integrated system like flight controls anyway.

If you believe that we should be flying commercial civie poo poo that is so off balance that it can't be controlled by humans, sure. That's my contention here. I don't know the answer, but at this point in technology I'm pretty sure I know how I feel about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

If you believe that we should be flying commercial civie poo poo that is so off balance that it can't be controlled by humans, sure. That's my contention here. I don't know the answer, but at this point in technology I'm pretty sure I know how I feel about it.

I don’t think I understand the point you are trying to make.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yep.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t think I understand the point you are trying to make.

The point I'm trying to make is that we have been flying commercial and civilian aircraft that can be piloted largely by hand. The MAX 8 had a design consideration that made it so prone to nose up that they felt/were regulated into needing to put in software to stop that regardless of autopilot on or off because the tendency was that bad.

So now we can go into Airbus fully automated theory vs. pilot control, but where my mind goes is more like the original example of the stealth bomber, which was/is so aerodynamically unstable that no human can possibly pilot it unassisted. Are those dynamics acceptable for commercial flight? Now? Sometime in the future?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

lol this event rented out the ritz Carlton in Dana Point for 3 days. I imagine these are the people that make you people fly economy for 18 hours connecting through Moscow to save a buck.

My old employer doesn't have an office in California :confused:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
BA CW has gotten noticeably worse in the few months since I last flew with them. And the 787 cabin looked older and more busted than either of the 747s I flew last summer. It's like the airline is embracing Brexit austerity even before it happens.

Edit - there wasn't even wifi, which seems inexcusable for such a new airframe.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 19, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that we have been flying commercial and civilian aircraft that can be piloted largely by hand. The MAX 8 had a design consideration that made it so prone to nose up that they felt/were regulated into needing to put in software to stop that regardless of autopilot on or off because the tendency was that bad.

So now we can go into Airbus fully automated theory vs. pilot control, but where my mind goes is more like the original example of the stealth bomber, which was/is so aerodynamically unstable that no human can possibly pilot it unassisted. Are those dynamics acceptable for commercial flight? Now? Sometime in the future?

I think those dynamics are inevitable - "easy for humans to fly" is going to be largely an impediment to the next generation of continued technological innovation: increased fuel efficiency, longer range, better revenue per seat, shorter turnover times, shorter taxi distances, etc. The mistake was trying to make this jump AND ALSO not training pilots. Planes too complicated to pilot by hand are going to be universal eventually, but in order to manage such complex systems safely, more and more simulation and human training is going to be required, especially during this transition period.

The damning thing is that they tried to BOTH make this leap AND get away with not training people on the new systems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

isn't this more a problem with boeing engineering a hosed up airplane because they were way behind the eight ball than any sort of real evolution in flight controls? if they cleansheeted a next gen single aisle with fancy new engines it wouldn't require MCAS

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Oh wow, I wish I knew this thread existed a long time ago. Although from skimming through the thread it seems like most of you spend the majority of your trips in big cities. I do a lot of work in middle-of-nowhere towns in the Midwest and Deep South. As a brown guy with a beard that can be really fun. Once I had a couple of hours to kill in rural Georgia and there was nothing else to do so I went to an antique shop. I make friendly conversation with the store owner while browsing through their stock when I notice the shelves full of KKK memorabilia. He casually mentions that he can barely keep that stuff on the shelf because it keeps selling out. I didn't know how to respond other than "Oh, that's uh...neat" and made my way out of the store.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

isn't this more a problem with boeing engineering a hosed up airplane because they were way behind the eight ball than any sort of real evolution in flight controls? if they cleansheeted a next gen single aisle with fancy new engines it wouldn't require MCAS

Not quite. It involves the airplanes being re-engined for more fuel efficient engines. But those engines had to be shifted forward which changes the center of gravity. This makes it a bit more prone to pitching upwards on sharp take offs. Which can cause a stall. The MCAS is supposed to prevent this but is prone to issues when one of the AoA sensors is out of whack. The issues seem to be pilot training and redundancy in the MCAS. There appears to be telemetry data from US airlines that similar situations happened but the pilots acted correctly to correct the situation. The basic design of the MAXs aren't bad but it looks like Boeing was far more optimistic about the amount of training needed than the reality.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am actually going to go ahead and say that the basic design of the 737 MAX is bad because it requires MCAS

bengy81
May 8, 2010

cult member at airport posted:

Oh wow, I wish I knew this thread existed a long time ago. Although from skimming through the thread it seems like most of you spend the majority of your trips in big cities. I do a lot of work in middle-of-nowhere towns in the Midwest and Deep South. As a brown guy with a beard that can be really fun. Once I had a couple of hours to kill in rural Georgia and there was nothing else to do so I went to an antique shop. I make friendly conversation with the store owner while browsing through their stock when I notice the shelves full of KKK memorabilia. He casually mentions that he can barely keep that stuff on the shelf because it keeps selling out. I didn't know how to respond other than "Oh, that's uh...neat" and made my way out of the store.

I'm also doing a tour of regional airports in the deep south and midwest, although I dont go any further east than Mississippi.

It sucks poo poo and I'm seriously considering getting a new job because of how much time I spend on delayed rear end Canadair planes.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am actually going to go ahead and say that the basic design of the 737 MAX is bad because it requires MCAS

Agreed. If your old airframe can't support newer, more efficient engines without some software to compensate, maybe its time to go back to the drawing board.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it just me or does Hilton never automatically upgrade your room?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Is it just me or does Hilton never automatically upgrade your room?

Almost never. I've only gotten one unasked for upgrade at a hotel that I wasn't on first name basis with the staff at. That being said, if you're at a Hilton property that would have an upgrade, don't hesitate to ask if they have an upgrade available.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

They give those away for free correct?

Goddamn, I miss SPG for exactly this reason and other things.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Zaepho posted:

Almost never. I've only gotten one unasked for upgrade at a hotel that I wasn't on first name basis with the staff at. That being said, if you're at a Hilton property that would have an upgrade, don't hesitate to ask if they have an upgrade available.

I learned this at Marriott a few years back. Been Gold or Platinum Elite with them for a while but almost never got a comp upgrade until I just started asking at check in, where I'm now close to 50% successful. I don't know if it is an unwritten rule or what but they don't just hand them out automatically, whatever the program rules state.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Stretching the certifications from a 1960s era airframe.........yes, this absolutely sounds like how we got here based on my understanding. Not by actual innovation. They're just bolting on bits and bobs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes. It's this one.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I thought that the problem wasn't that the 737 MAX design was bad from an engineering standpoint, it's that it would have required retraining pilots, thereby defeating the entire economic purpose of the 737. The MCAS was added to "fix" this, and welp.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

It was bad from the day “must not require retraining / additional type certification” made it into DOORS or whatever the gently caress as a requirement.

If it’s true that MCAS isn’t fault tolerant, can command large deltas to control surfaces and a single sensor failure / erroneous input compromises it (this part really pisses me off as an engineer), the safety critical system added to offset an aerodynamic compromise that was a response to design requirements...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

psydude posted:

I thought that the problem wasn't that the 737 MAX design was bad from an engineering standpoint, it's that it would have required retraining pilots, thereby defeating the entire economic purpose of the 737. The MCAS was added to "fix" this, and welp.

MCAS is in place because the 737 MAX design is bad in that the location of the engines changed the CG and the power that they output means that at low speed flaps down the nose can pitch up due to added throttle and cause a stall. that is a bad design.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So this belongs here:

VideoGameVet posted:

More on the 737MAX ... Can you say DEREGULATION?

Here's more info on the 737MAX incidents:

To Review: Radar data has indicated that both planes jerked up and down in erratic fashion after takeoff. The captain of the Ethiopian Airlines flight reported a “flight control” problem to the air-traffic control tower. Data from the black box of the Lion Air plane showed that its pilots repeatedly pulled back on the control yoke to try to disengage the mcas and level the flight path of the plane. “The pilots fought continuously until the end of the flight,” an official from the Indonesian National Transportation Safety Committee said in November, after the plane’s black box was recovered.

And now:

It turns out that the F.A.A., with congressional approval, has “over the years delegated increasing authority to Boeing to take on more of the work of certifying the safety of its own airplanes,” the Seattle Times said. In the case of the 737 Max, which is a longer and more fuel-efficient version of previous 737s, Boeing was particularly eager to get the plane into service quickly, so it could compete with Airbus’s new A320neo. [ed comment: :capitalism:]

Early on, employees of the F.A.A. and Boeing decided how to divide up the certification work. But, partway through the process, a former F.A.A. safety engineer told the Seattle Times, “we were asked by management to re-evaluate what would be delegated. Management thought we had retained too much at the FAA.” The engineer said that “there was constant pressure to re-evaluate our initial decisions,” and “even after we had reassessed it … there was continued discussion by management about delegating even more items down to the Boeing Company.”

Even the work that was retained, such as reviewing technical documents provided by Boeing, was sometimes curtailed. “There wasn’t a complete and proper review of the documents,” the former engineer added. “Review was rushed to reach certain certification dates.”

The new revelations don’t stop there. “Federal prosecutors and Department of Transportation officials are scrutinizing the development of Boeing Co.’s 737 MAX jetliners,” the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday. “A grand jury in Washington, D.C., issued a broad subpoena dated March 11 to at least one person involved in the 737 MAX’s development, seeking related documents, including correspondence, emails and other messages,” a source told the paper.

The criminal investigation began well before the crash of the Ethiopian Airlines Flight. It’s not clear yet whether it is focussing on the mcas system, the report in the Journal said. But, that article added, “In the U.S., it is highly unusual for federal prosecutors to investigate details of regulatory approval of commercial aircraft designs, or to use a criminal probe to delve into dealings between the FAA and the largest aircraft manufacturer the agency oversees. Probes of airliner programs or alleged lapses in federal safety oversight typically are handled as civil cases, often by the DOT inspector general.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-did-the-faa-allow-the-boeing-737-max-to-fly

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 19, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ixian posted:

I learned this at Marriott a few years back. Been Gold or Platinum Elite with them for a while but almost never got a comp upgrade until I just started asking at check in, where I'm now close to 50% successful. I don't know if it is an unwritten rule or what but they don't just hand them out automatically, whatever the program rules state.

I’m constantly getting upgrades at Marriott/SPG brand hotels as a ~~Titanium Elite~~ bonvoy member. I don’t even care for them as I’m only in them one night, but then again, maybe that’s why I’m getting them. The Sheraton Norfolk gave me the presidential suite one time - it was larger than my condo.

Although, from having worked in hotel A/V through the years, it wasn’t the most impressive presidential suite I’ve seen before - some get really insane

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
The Bonvoy thing is the dumbest rebrand.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Has anyone else stayed in the Marriott AC hotels? I switched over to staying in one once the new year hit out in Boston and I was pretty pleased with it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

nikosoft posted:

It does feel like something 200+ MBA's came up with after a year of meetings where no one agreed on anything, doesn't it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

Has anyone else stayed in the Marriott AC hotels? I switched over to staying in one once the new year hit out in Boston and I was pretty pleased with it.

ACs are nice. I stayed in a good one in Belfast last year.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I had a pretty good experience with a Marriott AC in Barcelona for a corporate event.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I only mention it because I was staying at a Courtyard before for the same price and the quality difference between the two was stunning. I'm probably going to aim for AC from here on whenever it's within my budget.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bonvoy is dumb. AC Hotels just seem like nicer Alofts.

The SPG Upgrades were great. It was awesome opening my hotel to a massive multi-room and getting lost in it when I woke in up in morning.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ixian posted:

It does feel like something 200+ MBA's came up with after a year of meetings where no one agreed on anything, doesn't it?

They agreed on one thing:

"Sure, we could get people to sign up for our loyalty program with a good earn rate, attractive promos, and a good user experience backed by non-trash-fire IT.... or we could get people to sign up with a catchy name!"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Any other Marriott travellers experiencing really lovely customer service interactions recently? I've hit at least gold status the last few years, and up until recently have had pretty good experiences when calling in to both hotels and the general customer service line, but recently I've been getting hung up on, and have some pretty serious billing issues go no where. Is this related to the BonVoy roll out, or is it probably just bad luck?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Bonvoy is dumb. AC Hotels just seem like nicer Alofts.

The SPG Upgrades were great. It was awesome opening my hotel to a massive multi-room and getting lost in it when I woke in up in morning.

Aloft is trying way too hard to be millenial trendy. AC is just nicer hotels with some character.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Aloft is trying way too hard to be millenial trendy. AC is just nicer hotels with some character.

Oh I agree completely but Aloft is decent. Plus standing showers are the best.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

Any other Marriott travellers experiencing really lovely customer service interactions recently? I've hit at least gold status the last few years, and up until recently have had pretty good experiences when calling in to both hotels and the general customer service line, but recently I've been getting hung up on, and have some pretty serious billing issues go no where. Is this related to the BonVoy roll out, or is it probably just bad luck?

It seems like it.

https://www.bonvoyed.com

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nikosoft posted:

Xfinity would like to say hello

Immanentized posted:

Yes to lovely experiences, no to Bonvoy. Marriott has just gotten lovely and unreliable since they merged.

I ditched Marriott at the beginning of the year after they billed me for someone else's stay, because someone fat fingered my rewards account number in at the hotel in error. Nevermind the fact that they shouldn't be able to charge a customer through a rewards account, but there you go. The hotel couldn't resolve the issue, call corporate. Corporate couldn't resolve the issue, call the hotel. I ended up doing a chargeback on my credit card after spending 4 hours in total calling, sitting on hold, not getting any resolution.

HIlton may not have as nice properties, but I've yet to have an issue where someone wasn't able to quickly take responsibility and get it resolved with minimal effort on my part.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Increasing the points required for rewards stays was the final straw for me, not booking Mariott unless I have to.

My company just sent out an email saying that booking through Concur is mandatory, up until recently it had been "highly encouraged."
So RIP bonus for booking through app points, you were too good for this world.